Anyone ever received a fake email from Google?

mknlb50

Limp Gawd
This morning I received an email from supposedly Google that they detected a suspicious login. I clicked the link to change my password, but it asked me to install a browser plug-in. That was a dead give away so I didn't proceed from there on. BUT have I jeopardized my account/computer just by clicking on the link?

I looked at the codes on the page as well and the plugin/addon files were linked from Dropbox. Won't give you guys the link unless asked. Thanks.

Do a full scan, but you're probably OK.

*Never* follow a login ( or recovery ) link from an email, always manually browse to it.

Here's a hint: It's a near certainty that email wasn't from Google and was spoofed to look like it came from them.

The *LAST* thing you want to do is click a link on something even remotely suspicious like that. If you haven't been good about updates then your machine could have just been turned into a bot for someone's botnet. (heck.. even if you have been good about updates, it's conceivable someone's using an unknown exploit)

Hover over the link before clicking on it... on the bottom of the screen it will show you link is going to send you.

Never click on a link in an email but, instead, manually type it in the address box.

Hover over the link before clicking on it... on the bottom of the screen it will show you link is going to send you.

I don't have the option of doing that on iOS (latest ver.)
It showed me a long text box if I wanted to install a plugin. Didn't proceed. Thought it was weird then I tried it on the computer. The link was from google drives. Fuck me lol.

Looking at the codes even more, I think I'm in the clear. As long as the browser plug in wasn't accepted and installed, it's fine.

Will scan regardless!

Last edited:
I don't have the option of doing that on iOS (latest ver.)
It showed me long text box if I wanted to install a plugin. Didn't proceed. Thought it was weird then I tried it on the computer. The link was from google drives. Fuck me lol.

A browser plug-in on iOS? Ummmm..... :confused:

A browser plug-in on iOS? Ummmm..... :confused:

In the code, there are interchangeable var link and crafted plugin acceptance message for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android(.apk file) platforms but not iOS. So, the message I was getting on my iphone was for Safari for Mac.

I got the same email ever day for about a week a few weeks ago. First time I fell for it. But I didn't click on the link. I just went to my gmail settings and changed my password. Then I kept getting the emails so I figured it was bullshit.

Back