Anyone ever order a retail 920 and get...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bullshit spin. Someone needs to peg them on whether or not they check their inventory when it comes in or when it goes out. This is pretty lax and subpar excuse making. They've now implicated Intel into this debacle by claiming it was their demo boxes. Now let's see how Intel deals with this.

Stupid move NewEgg, you should have just owned up to this as a huge mistake and that your internal inventory check procedures failed in this case and in every other instance this has occurred. No one will blame you, but will ask you to make it right and fix your internal problems so they don't happen again. You've just opened yourself up needlessly. DUMB!!!

Operations like NewEgg use "certified suppliers" so they do not have to spend time and money inspecting every pallet that comes off the truck. It is the certified suppliers responsibility to insure that everything they ship meets the quality requirement. If in fact these "demo" CPU's came from D&H then it is a D&H failure. If the "demo" units were shipped to D&H buy and Intel certified supplier than that supplier failed and Intel has a serious issue on their hands.

I was ready to burn Newegg at the stake after all of the stories of them shipping hard drives with no packing materials inside the boxes...

I mean, come on, who the f*** orders parts from such an ignorant and uncaring supplier anyway?

The fact that this originated (and seems to be the only resellers affected?) at Newegg comes of no surprise to me. They've shown for a long, long time how absolutely uncaring they are of their customers.

Fool me once, shame on you.

But, it's been known for a long time to never buy a hard drive from Newegg. Lesson learned from this story is to also never buy a processor from them.

I hope Newegg's sales overall absolutely plummet over this...

Wow, I smell utter bullshit. I've ordered to close to a dozen HDD's from Newegg over the years and NOT ONE of them has shipped to me WITHOUT any kind of packaging material. But please, go be Zipzoomflys bitch, more newegg stock for the rest of us.

Wow, I smell utter bullshit. I've ordered to close to a dozen HDD's from Newegg over the years and NOT ONE of them has shipped to me WITHOUT any kind of packaging material. But please, go be Zipzoomflys bitch, more newegg stock for the rest of us.

they come with SOME material, but I think his point was when you order an OEM drive they put a bubble sheet around it (sometimes It doesn't even go all the way around), slap a rubber band around it, and toss it in the box to roll around with any other components you might have bought. I've personally never had a bad hard drive from them, but every time I do buy one from the egg, I do a rosary before the box arrives.... though honestly unless I'm buying a ton of other components, I buy HD's elsewhere, since I'm not that religious.

they come with SOME material, but I think his point was when you order an OEM drive they put a bubble sheet around it (sometimes It doesn't even go all the way around), slap a rubber band around it, and toss it in the box to roll around with any other components you might have bought. I've personally never had a bad hard drive from them, but every time I do buy one from the egg, I do a rosary before the box arrives.... though honestly unless I'm buying a ton of other components, I buy HD's elsewhere, since I'm not that religious.

Ive had the bubble wrap but I like that,but the box is always full of packing material and no movement it the box..

There must be a level of denseness going on here at the [H]. If I were to open that 'demo' box and had seen in clear terms the foam heatsink/fan that Nix got, do you think I would have just shrugged my shoulders and said, meh and sent it out anyway? If someone within Newegg did this and it still went out, well I guess then their procedures failed. If no one checked it, then that implies that they don't have this type of procedure in place, which is even worse. And to make it worse, they are now washing their hands of it and blaming it on 'demo' boxes.

What's next? The John Belushi Blues Brothers Defense?

When you buy sealed products of any sort from any company, nobody opens up the box to make sure that you're really getting what you ordered.

If Newegg was routinely opening up all their boxes like that, they'd be out of business in no time, as people would be angry that they were receiving what looked like used products.

Go into walmart, pick up a sealed box of mixed chocolates off the shelf. Do you think the Walmart workers have opened up the box first to make sure that the box really contains chocolate? Would you really want them to?

Retailers trust the manufacturers and distributors to sell them real properly functioning products. That's the way it works.

I buy prolly 40 or 50 drives from them a year for builds,and have NEVER seen one come with no packing material that is the biggest LOAD of bunk I have ever heard.

Load of Bunk? Ha. I laugh because you used the word "bunk" and it seems like your taking it way to personal. I'm not saying I don't believe your last 101 1/2 drives from newegg did have packing material. I can tell you this, my last 7 didn't. Its been a major complaint about newegg for sometime. Only 2 of them are still working. Do a search on this topic.

Last edited:
I can't express how funny that video is! There are soo many lines that take a few minutes to catch your breath from laughing. Well done Conscript! Well done!

Demo boxes my ass. Suck it D&L! I hope someone gets prison time for fraud.

Stick to your guns H.
Don't back down to a group of punks and there cease and desist orders. All the companies behind this should be brought to light.
I applaude the H and the stories they put out. At least someone is telling the truth.

I guess they wanted to see something like...

Newegg allegedly selling allegedly fake allegedly Intel CPUs. Allegedly. NERT!

The used headline is right to the point and factual. Up to the reader not be a dumbass, tl:dr everything and think they have the whole story based on a byline.

Alright tool, apparently it is time for a basic English lesson, something you should have learned around the third grade.

The headline, 'NewEgg selling fake Intel CPU's' implies intent on NewEgg, as if they are running a scam, trying to rip people off, and doing so on a far more massive scale than the handful they received and the smaller handful that shipped out to customers. This is the type of headline that an amateur hour news publication would use to get attention.

It has nothing to do with adding 'allegedly' to the headline. The proper headline would be that an Intel distributor sent out non-retail CPUs out to retailers.

I am shocked to see the D & H sent out the C&D letter to HardOCP and the other website. I am more shocked to see NewEgg not sending out that letter.

Might as well have a headline that 'God and Mother Nature hates minorities' and then news stories about the Haitian and Chilean earthquakes.

Just got this from Newegg. I ordered a new 920 on the 4th of March. Demo Unit my rear end.....who do they think they are kidding? A "Demo" unit would not have a fake instruction booklet. A con would do that just for sheer weight.

Dear Valued Customer,
It's been brought to our attention that you may have received a Demo Version of the Intel Core i7 Processor you recently purchased. We would like to first and foremost apologize for any confusion this may have caused you. Please take a moment to examine the product you received thoroughly to determine if you in fact received the wrong product. The Demo Version of these CPUs were purchased between March 1, 2010 through March 4, 2010 and will have FPO/BATCH# 3938B006 printed on the product's packaging. Additionally, the Part Number on the heat sink will read CNFN936612 and there will be no wiring on the heat sink itself. If you have determined that you received the wrong product, please except our deepest apologies. To resolve this matter immediately, simply forward this email to both [email protected] and [email protected] and state which of the two following options best suit you:
Full Refund - We are more than willing to issue an RMA for a full and complete Refund.
Replacement for the Correct Product - If you are still interested in the product, we will issue an Advanced Replacement RMA to get the product to you immediately.
We would like to once again extend our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience and we appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Kindest Regards.

Once You Know, You Newegg.

Your Newegg.com Customer Service Team
Does that mean that you've justed used your RMA because they sent you a phony processor? Or does "Advanced Replacement RMA" mean they'll replace it for you and you'll still have your RMA if your processor breaks down?

Edit: spelling errors >_<

I just think its funny that companies think Steve and Kyle are going to take all this down lol and everyone will forget. Have they never read hardocp before? lol

too funny

Demo boxes... lol

only ordered from Newegg once and never again, items shown as in stock weren't so i canceled some stuff had it confirmed it was cancelled, they still shipped the monitor from California and I am in Canada, so I had to ship the damn thing back at my expense since the neighbor though he was doing me a favor to sign for it lol. but such a PITA to deal with ill stick with NCIX

Last edited:
What's the big deal?

Newegg had a problem, it's dealing with it, and no consumer got screwed.

Really great video.

Loved the post with the apology from newegg for the customers that received a "demo".

Are we all supposed to be that fucking dumb? I call newegg's attention to "SOCHET "1366.
Not to mention all the typographical errors on the label........

Hello: Intel has proofreaders that speak and write ENGLISH.....and admitted these boxes were counterfiet.:eek:

D&H distribution got owned by someone, I still think newegg just made a screwup in QA and is not to blame.

I'm glad that NewEgg is fixing people up.

Now here is what I THINK may have happened internally to NewEgg to cause the wording of the press release.

1. News of a couple of Fakes came in.
2. The public relations team would have sat down and had a damage control meeting.
3. The "Demo Box" idea would have come up and they ran with.
4. It's possible that D&L may have been the source of the Demo idea or they may have confirmed NewEgg's idea to cover their own but.

Now that they have realized the scope of the problem and Intel has confirmed that they are Fakes. They have to decide if they are going to change their story or stick with the Demo story. That choice will be based on which is likely to cause the least negative affect to them. They know they aren't getting out of this situation smelling like a rose, but they are going to do what they can to minimized the damage. Taking steps to contact anyone possibly affected was a good place to start.

Again this has been what "I think" may have happened.

I'm not from the US, but this wouldn't stop me from dealing with NewEgg if I was. How many of you don't buy cars/trucks/vans because the manufactures had a recall for issue ______? Look at Toyota. How long did they claim there was no problem before they started the recall? Does that mean we should refuse to buy Toyota?

You don't want to buy from NewEgg anymore. Fine, but you don't need to tell me about it, if that's all you're going to say.

It don't matter to me what NewEgg calls them,they didn't send them out on purpose,and there taking care of the problem,that is all that concerns me,now if they said sorry your stuck with it,then I can see a problem..

I teach my kids to be honest. Honesty is the best policy. What Newegg did here is lie to its customers. That in and of itself is the reason I will not be returning to Newegg.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that all retailers are honest people, but I know there are ones out there that have done no wrong to me. Those, are the ones I trust right now. Newegg USED to be one that I trusted. This fiasco changed my view of Newegg. Plain and simple.

Originally Posted by McKie
The thing is though, what does that say about neweggs order and shipping process. It's obvious that the boxes on these fakes are pretty beat up. what does that say for the other products they distribute. It says that they don't scrutinize them very good. and that quality control is not there.

That is a shipper problem. They can not just reject every box because it is scratched or has a slight tare. If they did it would cost them way to much to return good stuff that the place they bought them from would not refund because the box is a little ugly.

People use you heads for more than a vacuum. Most of what I see people posting here are from losers that have never worked and are just jumping on the bandwagon.

According to to newegg. Each item is hand picked.
"They can not just reject every box because it is scratched or has a slight tare."
Right , but if you start running into a bunch of boxes that look like they have been damaged. shouldn't you bring that to the attention of a supervisor? maybe they should think twice about where they get there product from.
If they did it would cost them way to much to return good stuff
The Good stuff comes into question if you start seeing a bunch of boxes that are damaged.
it would cost them way to much
Right . so they just pass it on to the customer. I personally have never received any defective product from newegg. Aside from a couple of shipping issues my experience has been good. But this does make me have concerns on there quality control. If I was selling products ,and wanted to be known for selling quality stuff . I would be making sure that who i get the stuff from was quality stuff. if not I would find someone who would

Most of what I see people posting here are from losers that have never worked

Thats a real intelligent statement.

Newegg may not have intentionally lied to their customers. Have you considered that maybe they first went to the supplier and said- WTH did you give us? I don't know, but it seems to me that maybe Newegg got the "Demo" story from D&H, or maybe they legitimately thought they were demo units. I agree they ought to amend their statement now, as its very clear that they are true counterfeits, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I'll keep buying from them, and actually have ~$700 worth of parts in the mail from them currently. Also remember that Newegg, whether their story is totally legit or not, they ARE doing the right thing with fixing the problem for all of their customers immediately. Sure they maybe tried to cover themselves for missing the fakes in Quality stuff, but they are making it right, immediately. Also- not all of the pictures I've seen have had banged up boxes. I've seen several of these "Fake" boxes that were in perfect condition. The box on the article Tom's is running looks to be in fine condition to me.

Last edited:
Thanks. The name of the movie is "Downfall" (Der Untergang), though that clip and some others from it have been parodied for a while now on many different topics. Because of all the parodies, I had to watch the movie, and must say, it's a really well done movie and while I didn't know him personally...i think that actor got Hitler down pat :D

Thanks for the post. Your parody was the first I saw/heard of the movie and was interesting enough that I want to see what is "really" being said. :D Again, good job with the subtitles.

I found the movie (Downfall) on Amazon with prime shipping (ooh, I love prime) for $7.99 so I ordered a copy this morning.

Alright tool, apparently it is time for a basic English lesson, something you should have learned around the third grade.
<snip>

Might as well have a headline that 'God and Mother Nature hates minorities' and then news stories about the Haitian and Chilean earthquakes.

I think you need to understand it before you give a lesson. Here is our Post Breakdown.

1. No proof of god. We have proof of all parties involved.

2. Hates does not imply a physical action. Newegg was selling CPUs.

3. I am pretty sure those people were not "minorities" in the country in which they lived. You just totally fail on #3....

I wonder if we'll see any of these "demo boxes" hit Ebay?

Probably not because they are counterfiet. You never know though, there's always someone out there that's really brave...... but just as dense :eek:

As for the Egg. I've been ordering from them since 2001 (12k worth of items) and I have not had 1 single problem. Not even an RMA.

New Egg ROCKS!!!!

what irks me about the threats made to our beloved [H] from this company is, why would a company go out of its way to make fake products for promotional purposes when it leads to this type of issue. And also the fact that making these "props" just adds to our ever growing problem with the enviorment. Why waste time, money, resourses just to make a item for make believe? its rather stupid that they said it was wrongfully shipped and just for promotional purposes.
imho, in reallity, we dont live in a perfect world, we have shady folks of all walks of life, somehow, whomever swapped these items would serve a reminder for company making this garbage to just stop with the nonsence, stop making props for "promotional purposses" we are a pretty dam smart race and dont need something fake to sell, and realize that its just not worth to make this junk in the first place.
that is of course if they were acually made for "promotional purposes", but i think is BS.
they need to fes up to what has happened, make the appologies, investigate and throw someone in jail....
Now thats using resourses!

Ouch. I was teaching my kids english from the day they were born. I feel bad for the kids that were 'held back'. :D Of course, I also teach my kids that name calling isn't nice. "Amateur hour 'forum posters' would use [name calling] to get attention."

The headline, 'NewEgg selling fake Intel CPU's' implies intent on NewEgg, as if they are running a scam, trying to rip people off, and doing so on a far more massive scale than the handful they received and the smaller handful that shipped out to customers. This is the type of headline that an amateur hour news publication would use to get attention.

It's purely factual and YOU as the reader are trying to imply intent. Newegg did in fact sell fake Intel CPU's. It really is that simple. 'NewEgg [continuing to sell] fake Intel CPU's' would imply intent. I believe people are getting hung up on the word "selling". Days after the fact, the word "selling" would not be appropriate for a new news headline since Newegg has stopped selling them. But when the headline was generated, Newegg was "selling" fake processors. You don't go back in time and change headlines of old news to make them more "current". You create new, current headlines for the new news.

It has nothing to do with adding 'allegedly' to the headline. The proper headline would be that an Intel distributor sent out non-retail CPUs out to retailers.

Why would you say "non-retail" when in fact Intel has confirmed they are counterfeit? "Non-retail" implies the processors, although not meant for the retail channel, are "legit".

When you buy from Newegg, where do you think you are buying your product from? Do you rationalize that you are in fact NOT buying from Newegg and that you are actually buying from a distributor up the chain? Newegg is getting your money when they sell you a product and they have the responsibility under contract of sale to satisfy that contract. The headline 'NewEgg selling fake Intel CPU's' is certainly appropriate because "we", the buyers, do not buy from suppliers up the chain. We buy from Newegg, and it was Newegg that sold the counterfeit processors to the consumers.

At Newegg's defense, they were just as much "victims" as the end users they sold the fake processors to. Newegg is doing right by shipping replacement processors. D&H however is lawyering up rather than reporting they are replacing the counterfeit processors they sold Newegg.

I don't believe you quite thought that sentence through before you posted... Or was that one of those amateur, attention getting things again? :p

Sadly I feel the same. I will no longer tolerate it when their packing for shipment consists of: 1) place item in bottom of cardboard box 2) pour packing peanuts on top. I would think the reduction of RMA's would justify spending 30 more seconds to nest said items in the shock absorbing peanuts.

That said, I do feel badly for them. 300 fake CPUs is what $60,000 ??

Those C&D letters to the [H] and Icrontic sure looks like an official statement from D&H Distributing to me (just not a very favorable one)...

Something that this issue makes me wonder...

If D&H is sending C&D letters and denying that these are counterfeit items... but Intel is outright saying that they are... Is it likely that D&H threatened Newegg in order to get them to go along with the "demo boxes" story because that's also D&H's excuse?

The only actions that I see that are consistently shady are coming from D&H themselves. Newegg's fucked up once, and that was with the official line that these were demo boxes. They've done everything else right, including replacing equipment damaged by the counterfeit "chips." (Yes, someone was stupid enough to try installing the fake CPU into his motherboard.)

The only actions that I see that are consistently shady are coming from D&H themselves. Newegg's fucked up once, and that was with the official line that these were demo boxes. They've done everything else right, including replacing equipment damaged by the counterfeit "chips." (Yes, someone was stupid enough to try installing the fake CPU into his motherboard.)

Newegg has a history of sending out some questionable merchandise though. A lot of people have had problems with "new" gear that was clearly already opened or just plain used. Its a process problem on Newegg's end, one that they have covered up by simply having good customer service. I am sick of people having problems with something like this, but then being happy when Newegg fixed it. Newegg has to fix a lot of problems that should never have happened to begin with.

I am not sure where the problem is however after working in a warehouse myself, I suspect they just let "unopened" returned goods into new stock (this saves a ton of money). And let me tell you, almost *everyone* that returns something claims they never opened it.

Regardless of the how, they definitely get used/opened gear into their new inventory and mail it out to unsuspecting people. Most people would not notice this type of thing and happily use the hardware. Its probably cheaper for them to deal with the people that notice than it is to fix the process.

Those i7 boxes look pretty damn fake even at a first glance, especially with that picture-of-a-fan in there. The warehouse workers are likely conditioned to pass right over package oddities to keep their efficiency and the bottom line up. Customer service will just deal with it later. Right?

Last edited:
I thought I would reply.

It does not seem to me Newegg did anything wrong from the new article up you seem mad that Newegg refers to these as demo boxes in a letter to the customer.

Newegg seems to be fixing the situation and seems to me used the phrase "demo unit" only because it sounds better PR wise than saying "counterfeit" I think as long as the same action is being taken, replacing CPUs and issuing refunds it does not matter that Newegg didnt send out a letter saying we all got robbed these are counterfeits!

Just my opinion but I think although Neweggs choice of words is bad it is very PRish and its the action of a company that matters to me not its PR letters.

:eek:

Does anyone here seriously think that a warehouse picker (i used to be one) gives two shits about what they are picking? They are probably young, cheap labor.

Also, I may just be this naive, but why is this such a big deal? I'm sure this happens all the time in a wide variety of industries. The bottom line is Newegg shipped fake drives and is fixing the problem. As to the "demo units" fiasco, what if Newegg didn't even have any of the item left in house to inspect after the initial claims came in? They get a couple phone calls from end consumers, and take a stab at a viable excuse. Happens all the time..

Why does anyone care *why* this happened. All that matters is how newegg is handling the situation, and based on the email on the front page, they are doing the right thing.

We figured that the companies with legal threats and bullying tactics would step back and think, "Hey, these computer hardware enthusiast guys are serious about their community and how it is treated. Let's figure out who is responsible for what and make it right." That is not what is happening though.

Like you posted 6 lines below (!), Newegg is making it right. Unforunately for Kyle and the horse he rode in on, the reasons for this mistake is between Newegg and its suppliers. Do you understand what "scope" means, Kyle, and how it applies to you?

Why would there be a "Demo Box/unit" of a CPU that has been on sale for over a year and a half?

I suppose the "Demo" line would work if we were back at the launch of the i7 920 but this many months later and they try to say they are DEMO boxes?

I get it, Newegg does not want to appear as if they can't control their own business and quality. But this excuse is poorly thought out and like a child who can't think of anything else they are sticking to their lie.

These are clearly not "Demo's" of anything. Newegg knows it and Intel knows it. The question in my mind is why Newegg would stick to this obvious lie so strongly.

Perhaps D&H has the answer?

Props to Kyle for sticking with the story. Trust is an important part of this industry and if Newegg continues to feed us a false cover story how can I trust them with my money in the future?
Sure they are replacing the fakes with real CPUs but really, what else would you expect them to do? Tell the buyer, tough shit and move along?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back