Anyone else would think Elder Scrolls 5 and/or Mess Effect 3 could benefit from coop?

Should Mass Effect 3 and/or Oblivion 5 have online elements?

• Yes

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • No... I like playing with myself.

Votes: 37 48.1%

• Total voters

zamardii

2[H]4U
I remember playing Elder Scrolls Oblivion and Mass Effect 2 and just wishing that they made a online element for these games. Being able to go through the story with someone in Oblivion would have been amazing, and as equally great in Mass Effect. With all the characters in Mass Effect in your squad I don't see why it couldn't happen, and with all the quests in Oblivion which had to have been not only the best single player RPG experience of mine ever (and I don't even play RPGs much), but also the longest single player experience ever would have been great with someone there with you to explore and fight.

Let's hope Bethesda does this or Bioware.

Nah not really. They're too in depth and immersive to benefit from coop, they'll just end up like MMOs where you just ignore the text and story to get to the next grind.

The games that benefit from coop modes the most are generally linear FPS games (think Resistance: Fall of Man), with a few exceptions. I don't think it would add a whole lot to a 3rd Person Shooter RPG like ME3 or a First Person Slasher RPG like ES5... but maybe. Especially if they created a way for you both to participate in the conversations and steer the game in a direction that you couldn't in single player mode. But these games aim to immerse you in a detailed and interesting world, so adding your buddy to the mix might take away from that. Though it might make the inevitable grind a bit less tedious.

co-op is always nice. single player can be meh at times.

there is pretty much no reason not to include co-op in a story driven game anymore. almost everyone that plays online has broadband so bandwidth isnt an issue any more.

co-op is always nice. single player can be meh at times.

there is pretty much no reason not to include co-op in a story driven game anymore. almost everyone that plays online has broadband so bandwidth isnt an issue any more.

There is plenty of reason not to: To maintain the story the developers want to tell. Forcing the inclusion of multiplayer into a game when they was never a place for it to begin with always hurts the single player experience. I don't give a fuck about multiplayer so keep that shit out unless the developer actually wants to include it.

oh god no.

Adding multiplayer would actually make these games weaker. Being time and resource limited, developers need to focus on the core elements of what makes the game fun/good or end up with a sub-par experience. Wasting resources on non core elements of a game leaves them with less time to do what they intended and the small added details that make a good game great get left out. There are tons of idea I would have loved to have seen added to Oblivion and Mass Effect 1/2. And yet, I'm sure the developers had more. If only they had the time.

I mean in a perfect world with unlimited resources, time, and money maybe. But even then these game would probably lose focus on their main goal, the experience. GT5 actually comes to mind here.

There is plenty of reason not to: To maintain the story the developers want to tell. Forcing the inclusion of multiplayer into a game when they was never a place for it to begin with always hurts the single player experience. I don't give a fuck about multiplayer so keep that shit out unless the developer actually wants to include it.

nah there are plenty of ways to implement co-op and keep a story intact all it does is add real human interaction into the game by adding a friend into the enviroment.

co-op and multi player are very different things.

I know if they implemented those things it would be at some expense of what both series are all about: The single player experience.

If this were the day and age of System Shock 2 and games like that I'd say: "Sure, go for it" because I would know each aspect would get the attention and quality control it deserves unlike today.

nah there are plenty of ways to implement co-op and keep a story intact all it does is add real human interaction into the game by adding a friend into the enviroment.

co-op and multi player are very different things.

As long as the game is designed around that aspect there are ways to do it. When a game isn't designed to use co-op in the first place and its forced into it simply to add a bullet point on the back of the box it will hurt the game. If you want to differentiate multiplayer and co-op go a head, I don't. I don't like multiplayer, period.

A well-written coop would be cool, but I'd be perfectly happy to just have your main quest and a friend can hop into your game and act as a companion. Wouldn't take much extra scripting or subtract from playing solo.

A well-written coop would be cool, but I'd be perfectly happy to just have your main quest and a friend can hop into your game and act as a companion. Wouldn't take much extra scripting or subtract from playing solo.

Something akin to the way Fable 3 does it could work. Asking for something well written from Bethesda is like asking a dog to speak proper English though.

The only ok way for co-op is to have a second player be the "follower" of the first player. He can hear conversions and see talk choices but no impact on story progression, and would just be a smart gunman/swordsman. It'd still be a nightmare to implement though.

This.

I can't stand the lack of Co-op in these games. My friend and I want to play these games through together, and neither one of us would have a problem with the second player being a follower.

Especially if they leave the single player experience alone, what does it matter if they include co-op?

I'd also love a multiplayer version for LAN parties, but only if there is no sacrifice of single/coop experience.

Co-op in Mass Effect would be pretty epic as long as they kept the exact same story/actions as single player.

I know if they implemented those things it would be at some expense of what both series are all about: The single player experience.

If this were the day and age of System Shock 2 and games like that I'd say: "Sure, go for it" because I would know each aspect would get the attention and quality control it deserves unlike today.

Good point. This day, it's hard to do everything really well.

ME3 is the Commander Shepherd trilogy. At this point into the game, introducing a multiplayer feature would seriously detract from the overall work.

As for Elderscrolls, gamebryo problems would be multiplied times 20.

It wouldn't make sense in Mass Effect.. so no.

But I'd LOVE to team up with a friend or two in a Elder Scrolls game and go through dungeons together and just mess around. Maybe 4 players max.

Not really. I like taking my time in ES, do a ton of side quests in random order with no consideration to the main quest.

For Mass Effect 3, assuming the game play is still somewhat similar to the first two, adding in an optional "jump in" type coop really wouldn't be difficult to implement game play wise or really negatively affect the game in anyway. You've always had 2 squad mates during the combat game play portions that do nothing other then combat really, they'd just be replaced by real people should you choose. GOW and Rainbow 6 (Unreal 3 engines) also show such implementation shouldn't be technically difficult either. Really you could implement fairly interesting coop in ME without impacting the single player game/core game elements at all basically.

For Skyrim (technically the game isn't Oblivion 5, it is TES 5, it might be a sequel in a way to Oblivion making it Oblivion 2 though), unless they completely change how the game works it will be a game play and technical nightmare. TES games are open world but they've always been open world differently then something like GTA. For instance in GTA what you do in the game world has essentially no long term consequences, also the game world as a whole is fairly static. The recent TES games (and similar like FO3) are not like this, kill an npc (or even anger one) and it has lasting consequences, they don't just respawn next time. There is also the issue of mod coherency on the PC, the majority of which I would assume use mods of some kind, this would make it technically challenging as everyone would have a different game.

There are some games I enjoy to sit down and enjoy the storyline, atmosphere and get engrossed into the world... (oblivion/fallout/masseffect/etcc) co-op i wouldn't really be interested in. Just since I'd have to deal with someone else and to me that'd interfere with the experience. Why mess with something that is perfect as is. It'd be like playing stalker co-op.. no thank you, maybe i'm oldschool and still enjoy a nice singleplayer only game

There are some games I enjoy to sit down and enjoy the storyline, atmosphere and get engrossed into the world... (oblivion/fallout/masseffect/etcc) co-op i wouldn't really be interested in. Just since I'd have to deal with someone else and to me that'd interfere with the experience. Why mess with something that is perfect as is. It'd be like playing stalker co-op.. no thank you, maybe i'm oldschool and still enjoy a nice singleplayer only game

from the first time i started playing the first stalker the first thing i thought to my self was man this would be awsome co-op

from the first time i started playing the first stalker the first thing i thought to my self was man this would be awsome co-op

it might.... i dunno there's just times where i think developers do the multiplayer/cop-op as their first interest and forget about the single player aspect. it'd be cool for some games to have it, but just that fear that it'd compromise the singleplayer, worries me.

eh, thinking about it, there are other games that work for this. mass effect the issue is that there are a lot of choices that happen outside of combat. you can coop the combat, but aside from that the team is just running around and waiting without the ability to be interactive. so not sure of the purpose. I think ultimately it would detract from the game. and besides, in ME1 you could interact with the characters. Now.....

they solved any issues with making ME co-op with SWTOR, it would randomly choose a player to interact with the quest giver but then when it came down to the really important decision like say letting someone live or die ect it was the person whose quest it is gets to decide what to do.

so that way the "characters or players" in your party actually feel like they are really apart of the story instead of sitting there idle with only brief input but then they still cant flat out ruin your story either by killing off people you dont want them too..

its too late to use it in the ME trilogy tho.

Mass Effect? No. Elder Scrolls? Yes. 2 player co-op in anything past Daggerfall has potential to be awesome. Unless buggy.

I find it interesting all the people saying yes to coop but no to MP. I think a multiplayer mode would be far easier to implement. They could come up with a simple swordfighting arena deathmatch that is totally seperate from the single player campaign and does not affect it in any way. It would probably also be easier to outsorce that to a different developer, and leave Bethesda to put all their attention on the singleplayer. Whether or not it would be any good is a different story, but I think it would be far easier to impliment.

As far as co-op is concirned, i'd be torn. On one hand, there were pleanty of times playing Oblivion where I thought it would be awesome to have a friend jump in and play along. Then I think back to all the hours invested into Borderlands. Both games were great for what they were, but Oblivion was a far more cinimatic experiance. You can easily tell one was built for one person, one was built for co-op. With an Elder Scrolls game, the story and the lore is as important as anything else, and I wouldn't want to sacrafice that for multiplayer. As said, the only way it would even be possible is to have a tag along player... but I think that would probably greatly deter the experiance for that player, making it difficult to actually find someone to play the part.

All of that pretty much applies to Mass Effect just as much as it does Elder Scrolls. Both games have a very cinametic approach, designed with one player in mind.

This game is too good of a single player game to be coop, ME that is. Oblivion on the other hand it would be kinda fun running around throwing axes at each other.

In ME I don't want another dude trying to steal my Miranda booty.

Back