Anyone else unable to sleep a Haswell machine on Win 8.1?

Kor

2[H]4U
Specifically Haswell machines running Asus Z87 boards. Both of mine absolutely refuse to sleep, even when I do it manually the damn things spin back up almost immediately. The Ivy Bridge Z77 machine however hasn't had a single problem with 8.1 and the sleep/suspend stuff. I'm starting to suspect that the new Haswell low power mode bits in 8.1 are playing havoc with the power saving options.

I have a friend with a Maximus VI Hero board who has the same problem. I'd be interested to see if there's a solution to be had.

Go to your network adapter in device manager and uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer." Also disable the "wake on _____" settings under advanced if there are any.

I'd be careful about sleep mode with SSD hard drives. The possibility exists that sleep can damage your SSDs. I typically either have my computer on or off, never sleep. Just something to think about.

Go to your network adapter in device manager and uncheck "allow this device to wake the computer." Also disable the "wake on _____" settings under advanced if there are any.

First thing I did.

I've built 5 Haswell systems on ASUS Z87s. They all sleep perfectly.
Your event logs should tell you what's waking them up.
Samsung's Magician software is a culprit, for instance. Just remove it from Startup, problem solved.

I've built 5 Haswell systems on ASUS Z87s. They all sleep perfectly.
Your event logs should tell you what's waking them up.
Samsung's Magician software is a culprit, for instance. Just remove it from Startup, problem solved.

Weird thing is they both slept perfectly fine under regular ass Windows 8.1. I'll kill off Magician when I get home see if that improves the situation.

It isn't haswell mobo's, it's Z77 and Z68's as well. Have the same thing since upgrading to 8.1 plus many other crashes. Reformat back to 8 and wait until the bugs have been fixed in 8.1. Many other people have the same problem, just not many as vocal about it because not many people put their computer to sleep vs shutting it off since windows 8 boots so fast now.

Yeah I have a z68 desktop and an ivy bridge laptop. They both have sleep issues since the upgrade to 8.1.

Any of you running win media center? I had sleep issues due to wmc updates that woke my pc randomly. Have to adjust task scheduler to not allow to wake

Again, the event logs SHOULD create a wake event, showing the culprit. It may show you the low hanging fruit first.... if it's a bug in 8.1 or 8, I haven't experienced it. All of my past sleep issues were P67 / SB related.

I had the same problem on both my machines after the 8.1 update. One was an Asus P8Z77-V with a 3570K and the other is Intel DH77EB with a 3450 so the issue expands past the Asus boards.

Sleep has always been one of those things that don't work for me for years. Everytime I've tried it the computer wont wake up. Gave up using it.

Quick update, I nuked Magician as suggested by Brahmzy and sleepy nap time is working properly now. Really odd considering it was fine under 7 and 8.

Also to those suggesting checking the event log, the reason I had to ask was because there wasn't anything meaningful documented in there in the first place making it a rather difficult problem the track.

Back