Anyone else think it's completely stupid that MS has tied default/store apps and games to a single location?

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
Was just checking out the xbox app due to having Game Pass Ultimate. They give an option to select where to install but if it's not already set in the settings to install apps and games to said location you can't install there.

I mean seriously what are they doing? Users should be able to decide where things install and not just being limited to anything from the store being limited to a single location. I don't know about others but I don't want apps from Microsoft and or the store being mixed with my games and I don't want my games installed on my OS drive. Forget the fact most people run an OS drive that is smaller then other drives on their computer.

Am I alone in this?

Please if you know a way to override this stupid setting by all means share the ways as I can't seem to find anything online but how to change both types to a single location.

go to Settings > System > Storage. and you can change the default install location. after an app is installed you can move it via the apps and features list. select the app and it will have a move button but it will only point to the root of a drive. it will then create a "windows apps" folder.

go to Settings > System > Storage. and you can change the default install location. after an app is installed you can move it via the apps and features list. select the app and it will have a move button but it will only point to the root of a drive. it will then create a "windows apps" folder.
I understand that but that ties both everyday apps and games together. We shouldn't have to write to one drive just to turn around and move the item to another drive. The option should be there for either splitting up default app install and game install or the option to specify the installation of each and every app and game before it installs. Software no matter game or program has had this option like since anything besides windows was written for computers. Why on earth does MS think now is the time to implement something like this. It's highly annoying.

I understand that but that ties both everyday apps and games together. We shouldn't have to write to one drive just to turn around and move the item to another drive. The option should be there for either splitting up default app install and game install or the option to specify the installation of each and every app and game before it installs. Software no matter game or program has had this option like since anything besides windows was written for computers. Why on earth does MS think now is the time to implement something like this. It's highly annoying.
most people dont care, they just want it installed. put in feedback. if enough people ask it might get added. you used to not be able to specify install location at all.

Back