Anyone else still sad about the death of SED/FED?

GhostCow

Limp Gawd
I miss the old CRT monitors so much. LCD is still crap in my opinion and OLED seems like the burn-in issues will never be solved. SED/FED seemed like it really could have given us the best of both worlds between CRT and LCD. Years later I still think about this sometimes and get really sad. Patent trolling prevented a great technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

Last edited:
MicroLED with strobing/pulsing/some kind of flickering is basically better than SED/FED in every way, so not really.

Can't wait for that crap.

The OLED burn in fears are greatly overblown under realistic usage. I have been using my LG C7 for last 1.5 years as my primary monitor. I have zero burn in on any color.

I would never go back to CRTs over displays available today.

That depends on what you define as realistic usage. I don't know how bad it is compared to CRT, but I ended up with the ghost of the Civilization VI UI burned into a monitor once after a 10+ hour gaming session. That makes me dubious about OLED. The fact that there are no OLED monitors makes me think it must still be a bad enough issue to be a concern. Aside from that, there are still plenty of production issues with it. I think that's how we ended up with the stupid curved TVs. Even with OLED, you're still missing some nice features that CRT had unless you have strobing pixels and I don't think there are any OLED TVs that have a strobing feature. It's rare even in monitors and I haven't seen any strobing backlights in person so I don't even know how that compares to a real CRT

Burned in "permanently" or just image retention? Two totally different things.

What do you mean no OLED monitors? Dell released an OLED monitor two years ago. I am typing this on a laptop with an OLED screen.

Oh, very fucking much YES I am! It was the promised Eden, but sadly didn't come to pass and we'd entered in the age of the shittiest display tech possible that set us back in both image quality and gaming performance for years.

Burned in "permanently" or just image retention? Two totally different things.

What do you mean no OLED monitors? Dell released an OLED monitor two years ago. I am typing this on a laptop with an OLED screen.

It stayed on the screen for the rest of the time I had that monitor and was slightly visible at all times. Dell released one that is now discontinued. I'm not sure that really counts, nor does a laptop screen.

Dell released an OLED monitor two years ago.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the UP3017Q "release" was just them dumping pre-production stock, given that it was only available for like 1-2 months. So they obviously decided, for whatever reason, that it wasn't a viable product.

A consumer OLED monitor was sold to the public and they are out there running just fine. Doesn't matter what anyone's magical threshold is for how long it was for sale. And how does a laptop screen not count? You do realize it is used exactly like a stand alone monitor?

Because it's not a stand alone monitor. That's like saying my cell phone counts because it has an OLED screen. I guess CRT is still a thing because I can technically buy a used one too, huh?

I am sad... sed even :cry:

Phosphor based screen like FED/SED would probably have issues with lighting condition requiring some fancy coatings like plasma and requiring rather darker rooms.
Also especially in case of FED some burn-in was expected, maybe less than OLED but still.
Then there is HDR1000... can these be pushed to 1000 cd/m2? Probably yes probably no.
Either way pretty unlikely we will see any of these tech, especially with OLED products on the market and micro-LED being on the horizon.

A consumer OLED monitor was sold to the public and they are out there running just fine. Doesn't matter what anyone's magical threshold is for how long it was for sale.

Huh? It very much matters in the sense that I can't buy an OLED monitor today. The laptop screens were more widespread(not that that helps with buying an OLED monitor for the desktop...) but as far as I know, all manufacturers have dropped them from new models, the only way to get them is to buy old stock.

They were dropped for power draw reasons though, not burn-in, as far as I know. But regardless, there are no consumer OLED monitors available for the desktop and as far as I know the only company trying to make one is JOLED with their 22" thing, which may or may not release at anything remotely like a sane price.

Ah, name calling. The last tactic of someone who has no argument. The simple fact is that OLED monitors are not a thing and have not been a thing. Stop trying to say they are a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/del...17q/apd/210-aiei/monitors-monitor-accessories

Ya the Dell OLED monitor I owned must have been a figment of my imagination.

Oh and OLED monitors have completely taken over reference work.

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/oled-monitors

The best display in the world is also a figment of Vincent's imagination!

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESzWY0hW85Y

And even more OLED monitor coming down the pipe:

https://www.oled-info.com/digitimes-joled-supplies-216-4k-oleds-used-asus-its-new-oled-monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
15k$ for 24" oled sony monitor? no thanksssss
maybe these monitors are so expensive because they have blacks so black they create rifts across space-time allowing viewer to connect directly to places they watch?

I mean, anyone buying monitor for that price must be already pretty high...

I mean, anyone buying monitor for that price must be already pretty high...

No, people buying these monitors are doing so because they have no other reasonable option. Money and cost are completely irrelevant, they don't matter. The panels need to be as close to perfect as possible. These are professional mastering monitors, they're not intended for viewers. They're intended for people who are editing films, tv shows, and other video content for distribution.

Consumer monitors have tons of imperfections and uniformity issues(even the $2000 4K X27 has 20% luminance variance), colors and luminance are different and displayed differently on different parts of the screen. When you're *deciding* the colors and HDR grading for the next multi-billion dollar Marvel movie, you don't care how much your monitor costs. You care that your color grading for a certain scene will not be slightly off because it looks OK on YOUR display but actually that part of the monitor was wrong and so now your grading is wrong and that mistake costs way more than the price of your monitor.

HDTVTest did a video on one of these monitors, you can listen to Vincent describe how insanely accurate and consistent it is, and how far it exceeds the capabilities of any consumer display in this area. There's just really no comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: XoR_
like this
Back