Anyone else noticing Corsair AM4 Bracket leaving too much of a gap?

JustReason

razor1 is my Lover
So was watching my temps on my CPU and wasn't too happy with the results so figured I would reseat and repaste the CPU. So Fri night did that as well as touch up my resurfacing of my Corsair 110i GTX to its mirror finish. Also took note that the IHS of the CPU is very flat, impressive, and also lapping may not be necessary and I usually like to wait a few months just in case a RMA becomes necessary (1708PGT CPU). Anyway IBT was ramping up temps a bit higher than I am used to even with a heavily OCed Vishera (>330W OC) (1800x pulls at most 230W). So yesterday pulled it again and noticed, same as before but didn't think much of it, the paste was evenly covering the whole of the CPU, good, but it was a thin coat across. Usually for all my previous CPUs both surfaces barely showed any paste as it looked more metal-to-metal contact with very little paste (as it should be as the only purpose of the paste is to fill in the dips or uneven surfaces). So it struck me this cooler is pulling tight enough as the screw down caps tap bottom and the cooler easily twists.

So I went thru the trouble to set back the ring a mm or so with some screws as spacers and now have the block tight and difficult to twist, at least it isn't easy like before. Temps are cooler at stock and thru normal runs but max temps seem to still hit high levels with IBT.

So any of you with the AM4 bracket notice this as well?

I have the 110i with a Ryzen 1800X. I only mounted it once, but temps are great and there was no problem with installation. Currently getting 27C on idle desktop or 48C in CPU-Z Stress Test.

I have the 110i with a Ryzen 1800X. I only mounted it once, but temps are great and there was no problem with installation. Currently getting 27C on idle desktop or 48C in CPU-Z Stress Test.
I did lap the cooler, but don't think it would make that much a difference, didn't on my 8350.

Didn't have any issues with the 110i I put on for a friend's build on a 1700X. Temps were low/normal, no troubles at load. It's used almost daily for video editing/encoding and hasn't encountered a problem since Ryzen launch. No idea why he wanted it under water, but I couldn't talk him out of it. He doesn't overclock and he doesn't game.

I don't overclock either (well I test just for fun, but always set back to stock). However, I like AIO coolers because they are more compact and look nicer in the case. Any decent air cooler is a monstrosity.

Back