Anyone else not interested in the 7800 at all?

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I look at those graphs, and what do I see? My overclocked 6800GT can still run all of their benchmarks at 1600x1200 with aa and af more than smooth enough for me.

I'm gonna pass on this generation.

(and then there's the utter lack of PCIE in my system to add to that...:p)

lopoetve said:
I look at those graphs, and what do I see? My overclocked 6800GT can still run all of their benchmarks at 1600x1200 with aa and af more than smooth enough for me.

I'm gonna pass on this generation.

(and then there's the utter lack of PCIE in my system to add to that...:p)

I'm passing too, my 6800GT will do great :D

Im interested. But I am patient enough to wait for ATi's offering. Although I have serious doubts that they will release the cards the same day reviews hit.

I just upgraded my mobo, CPU, and ram, to play BF2 better. I still would like better GPU performance, and the GTX looks nice, other than the price. I can wait another month or so till the R520 allegedly hits to make an educated decision.

pandora's box said:
insufficient funds = not interested is what i see many people using as an excuse.

I have the cash, I just don't see it as worthwhile as I'd have to upgrade my CPU & mobo to use the 7800GTX. I don't plan to do that until WGF2.0 cards are available.

The 6800GT I have runs everything great and offers all the latest effects, so I'm set until WGF2.0 arrives. Most of my cash this year will go to XBOX360. :)

I'd be interested if it was more affordable.

However, I am more interested to see what ATI will bring to the table for comparison to the 7800.

pandora's box said:
insufficient funds = not interested is what i see many people using as an excuse.

Like the other poster, the computer fund is full for upgrades, but spending that much money on an upgrade that won't net me anything truly noteworthy (as I can play everything I want now at the quality setting I want, 1600x1200 2-4xaa and 8xaf) can't be justified.

That, and my AV8 is working fine as a motherboard. I don't want to upgrade right now again.

Im very interested in the Geforce 7800GTX however no games worthwhile are coming out untill later this year and I would rather wait till november or so to build/buy a new system.

And besides my Geforce 6800GT does fine right now, even though my AMD XP3200 is getting a little dated, latest game run was BF2 and I can run that at 1600x1200 with no AA and 8Xaf fine.

Any of the top line 6800's and x800's will do just fine for today's games at max or just about max settings. The 7800 to me seems like it just brings to the table hardware for tomorrow's games... along with boost in speed. I'm fine with my 6800 gt's right now.

I'm running AGP at present and I also don't have the scratch to do anything in terms of upgrades but if the situation changed and I was going to perform a mobo/ram/CPU/GPU level upgrade I could see spending the extra money over a 6800U and get a 7800 instead.

In the preview I'm basically seeing the 7800 in a single card platform performing on par with a 6800U SLI setup and that's all the incentive I need. That to me adds up to reduced cost versus SLI 6800's, reduced heat in my loop and since it's a lower wattage card reduced strain on the PSU should I decide to move up to SLI in the future after card costs come down.

All very compelling arguments in favor of the 7800 but if I had a 6800U PCI-e setup I doubt I'd run out and buy the 7800 as it's an incremental upgrade over the ultra or GT as far as that goes. Maybe after costs came down and I was sitting on a single 6800U, then instead of buying a second for SLI would I consider a 7800 but right now for 6800U owners, no, not really.

interested, but waiting.
I want to build a sli/crossfire machine so no rush.
I'm pretty pleased with the benches. Wasn't expecting 5xxx >>> 6xxx type of leaps.

I'm probably not going to upgrade my 6800 GT or X800 XT to a 7800 GTX either. But then again I tell myself that a lot of the times, but then when I actually see one in the store, I always end up getting the itch to buy it. The thought of playing everything with supersampling is very enticing.

I bought one...but the performance increase wasnt nearly enough to justify upgrading all my systems..

My 850XT's and 6800 Ultra's are doing just fine.... I used this gen to upgrade my oldest machine to the latest X2, SLI Mobo and 7800..

I wont even bother to SLI since it doesnt seem to be worth the $$

Perhaps in a few months I will

not untill i have some money, the prices comes down a tad, and i see what ati has to offer

I'm interested in it, but not so interested that I'd go out and drop $650+ on it... Especially technology that is so rapidly antiquated.

Also, I've really lucked out on my hardware purchases over the past few years. About 2 years ago I bought a GeForceFX 5600 256MB for $50 and sold my GeForce3 for $30 the same day, and then yesterday I picked up a GeForce 6800 Ultra Extreme (aka Ultra Overclocked, the BFG card made for Falcon Northwest right when the 6800 was released) for $200... So yeah, I don't need bleeding edge, just stuff that does what I need :)

I'm not interested for the GTX...

The ultra could be interesting, but even more ATi's r520...

I think I will go ahead and get the X800XL I've been wanting.

its too much money for me. my 6800GT runs everything i want at the settings I want very well.

I bought a BFG 7800 and if there ever is an Ultra I'll probably buy that as well.

I don't see the point in waiting to see what is better...if you spend all your time waiting for a newer videocard then you would probably never buy anything. lol

Arklight said:
I noticed that too.

rofl. I've been waiting for a year for Nvidia or ATi to come out with something that really impressed me. Something like the GF3 did, or the 6800. I'm still waiting... I'm not impressed enough by this one to upgrade. It's not the money, it's the 'is it worth the effort' feel.

Arklight said:
I bought a BFG 7800 and if there ever is an Ultra I'll probably buy that as well.

I don't see the point in waiting to see what is better...if you spend all your time waiting for a newer videocard then you would probably never buy anything. lol

That's not the point. I wait till there is a significant and major improvement (imo) over what's currently out there. The GF3 was a significant and major change over the GF2. The 9700 was a significant change over the GF4 and Radeon 8500. This feels like a much smaller step... I see nothing extremely major that it brings to the table, just a speed bump and a nicer AA algorithm.

I made the decision to stay with AGP through out the 2005 year (knowing the day would come when the "new" cards would be out). But I think a 6800u on AGP will be more than enough to get me through the next 6 months. Then the new V-cards and PCI-E MB will be cheaper and have all the bugs worked out. Besides I still have the option of upgrading from an overclocked Winchester 3200 to a dual core or new FX 939 cpu if I need some extra power. I still haven’t gotten my moneys worth out of my current build to do a major upgrade

I don't know... I like to game, but that's way more than I spent on any one item in my rig. Including my new LCD monitor.

As long as BF2 can play on my rig with no hiccups, I don't think it's worth the extra $300+ more than my current card to have the latest and greatest. Besides, shouldn't we be expecting a "response" from ATI within the next three months?

lopoetve said:
That's not the point. I wait till there is a significant and major improvement (imo) over what's currently out there. The GF3 was a significant and major change over the GF2. The 9700 was a significant change over the GF4 and Radeon 8500. This feels like a much smaller step... I see nothing extremely major that it brings to the table, just a speed bump and a nicer AA algorithm.

I am in the process of building an entirely new system.

About every 2 years or so I build a whole new rig from the ground up and buy the best of everything. If something comes along inbetween that really catches my interest I'll shell out for it, but it has to REALLY catch and peak my interest.

Since this is a completely new build, it didn't make any sense for me to skimp on the video card when I didn't have too. I currently have a 6800GT AGP card so I can't even use it in my new rig. Not to mention I have a potential buyer of my computer since last week. If I decide to not sell it I'll just use it as a small BF2 server or something along those lines. :)

The 7800 release means one thing: Lower 6800 prices :D So now seems like the perfect time to jump to a 6800 GT or Ultra again... BTW, the 7800 looks totally awesome, but I just want to be within a budget and over 250-300 for a vid card is too much for me. I have the $$ to do it but not worth it to me...

I really really really really wanted the 7800GTX to blow me away since I'm still on an XP/AGP setup and want to upgrade badly. But since I already have a GT I wanted to upgrade when there was a signifcantly faster card to upgrade to - looks like I'll have to wait till R520 or Unreal3. Although the BF2 benches and TSAA are almost enough to make me upgrade anyway but the $600 price tag is just high enough that I'll resist.

W4ngsta said:
Nuu, seriously, i need to know. i might actually buy this card.

Not sure yet.

No news of AGP. AGP users still form the bulk of the market though for personal computers so creating an AGP solution might be beneficial.

W4ngsta said:
Nuu, seriously, i need to know. i might actually buy this card.

I'm having trouble understanding why so many people are so eager to buy a $600 video card, but are so seemingly against or unable to foot the bill for a motherboard with PCI-Express... especially when there are socket 754 PCI-Express motherboards available for $80.

Blows my mind. You also have to realize how much of a bottleneck your old system is going to be to a video card of this calibar.

pandora's box said:

Justify why some average joe, or heavy gamer would need it.

If you cannot, (which you cant realistically), then you make absolutly no sence. Many people dont spend the money because, they dont need to. Many expensive hobbies, and in computers especially the most expensive graphic cards, are for benchmarks and flaunting, perhaps some pathetic kind of security. Nothing more.

The number one reason is the lack of need, not the lack of money. If i seriously saw my X800 struggling, i'd scoup one up in a second, i dont. And like some others that posted, their cards do fine as well. This is not a required product nor does it make you 'cool'.

Games that look gross on everything but the 7800? ZERO

The only thing the GTX has got me interested in, is if the next gen of cards will continue the trend of

Lower Power Consumption, One slot solution, Quiet fans

My DFI NF4 Ultra-D s939 mobo was $130-ish, and is SLI-moddable by connecting a pair (yes only 2) points on the northbrodge... Where is that expensive again?

Justify why someone would need it.

They play LOMAC or would like to play BF2 at 1600x1200 with 4xfsaa and 8xAF and NOT have it somewhat suck.

:D

Not to mention, it will do everythign I want it too in my new system.

It's a win-win for me. I am doing a totally new build right now and I need a PCI-E card.

I didn't just spend a ton of money on components only to slap in a $499 Ultra when I can get something that will hose it for $100 more.

Back