Anyone else not give a single hoot about overclocking

This is my attitude towards it now, I have to on my old system, but when I can justify an upgrade to the newest CPU I likely won't overclock until I have to. I don't have the time to keep messing with it.

Always need that lil bit extra, but the days of 300a's hitting 450-500Mhz or an opteron 165 hitting 2700Mhz with ease are all but gone. fun times those were!

Always need that lil bit extra, but the days of 300a's hitting 450-500Mhz or an opteron 165 hitting 2700Mhz with ease are all but gone. fun times those were!

I got my opteron 165 to post at 3ghz! I remember that being an awesome OC. I don't think I could run it there though. Haha. Shortly there after I upgraded to an e8400 and it was my first intel chip.

My O/C'n days are long gone, processors are plenty fast for what I use my rigs for these days that more so the time to tweak, test, tweak, get annoyed, test, tweak and finally say screw it...are long over.

I agree with you. but not all ppl use powerfull computer only for games.
I just really dislike when ppl boil anything about high performance computing down to games cause its not the be all of performance demands. its not even close to be the hardest stuff for CPU's

But yeah it IS probably the single biggest factor

Productivity and other tasks are more time sensitive and for those tasks core and thread count is King (in addition to system stability which is critical). Overclocking there also gives little reward in those cases when it comes to real world usage. Gains are too small to risk system instabilitiy and if your CPU isnt up to the task to begin with, overclocking won´t solve much.

The common thread here is, a LOT of folks struggle with overclocking. It looks like they struggle with not only HOW to overclock, but with finding stability in a short time and not having to go back and tweak things constantly.

Let me say again, you’re doing it wrong.

The last 15-20? CPUs I’ve had, it’s been about a 1 day deal with a minor tweak on day 2, and then I’m done, for good, period. Until that CPU gets refreshed in 2-3 years. It’s pretty easy stuff. Things are SO easy now with these newer CPUs.

So because you yourself cannot seem to get overclocking down, you make blanket statements about overclocking lacking stability, offering little benefits, blah blah.
Those are completely false statements about overclocking. Some of us know how to do it and know and reap the real-world benefits from it every single day.

I'm a little more power conscious than I used to be, so I don't really OC anymore on 24/7 machines. If I can get 85% of the performance for 60% of the power and heat, I'll probably take the route of no OC. Fortunately, newer CPU's have better boost algorithms.

The common thread here is, a LOT of folks struggle with overclocking. It looks like they struggle with not only HOW to overclock, but with finding stability in a short time and not having to go back and tweak things constantly.

The last 15-20? CPUs I’ve had, it’s been about a 1 day deal with a minor tweak on day 2, and then I’m done, for good, period. Until that CPU gets refreshed in 2-3 years. It’s pretty easy stuff. Things are SO easy now with these newer CPUs.

So because you yourself cannot seem to get overclocking down, you make blanket statements about overclocking lacking stability, offering little benefits, blah blah.
Those are completely false statements about overclocking. Some of us know how to do it and know and reap the real-world benefits from it every single day.

LOL :ROFLMAO:

LOL! Seriously!?! A lot of the people who have posted in this thread are veteran overclockers including myself, and I believe that most, if not all people in this thread can click a button and let the machine do the overclock itself which is possible on most newer motherboards.

Funny strawman post though and it made me laugh [H]ard! :D

Have not read through the entire thread. Though I am sure this has already been said. Overclocking is not what it used to be 15-20 years ago.

Back then I could buy an $80 Athlon 1700+ and OC it by 70-80% pretty easily with air cooling. Faster than 3200+ chips which cost three times as much. These days I settle for a 700mhz overclock in my Dell T3500.

Have not read through the entire thread. Though I am sure this has already been said. Overclocking is not what it used to be 15-20 years ago.

Back then I could buy an $80 Athlon 1700+ and OC it by 70-80% pretty easily with air cooling. Faster than 3200+ chips which cost three times as much. These days I settle for a 700mhz overclock in my Dell T3500.

Back in the day the whole point to overclocking was to get more for less $$ as PC hardware was so expensive considering the average wage, nowadays it's about stroking your ewang and I just can't see the point.

^^ Then what’s the problem?

I don´t speak for everyone, but reading is fundamental. People in this thread have already stated their reasons. All you need to do, is to read them again without thinking that their statements are not based upon not knowing how to overclock, but no longer see the benefits doing it as they used to.

Keep in mind that the importance of overclocking the CPU is less today then it was only a couple of years ago. Here is a few examples:

* Games and software are more mulithreaded now.
* Modern CPUs and motherboards have a pretty decent boost algorithm, giving you a high clock on demand.
* Higher resolution monitors are cheaper these days, so more people game at higher resolutions, putting more load on GPU and therefore free up some CPU clocks. Bottleneck is shifting to GPU.
* You are more likely to be GPU limited then CPU limited in modern games.
* Power, heat and noise is more a factor now then what it used to be.

That was more in general. Now, if you want to discuss my system and try to give me a reason to overclock, then please go ahead:

Its an i7-8700K on an Asus Prime z370-A motherboard. GPU is a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (I am waiting for the right GPU to upgrade to).My system is build to be quiet, so that goes for all fan configurations. CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U14S, single fan, not dual (I have extra fans to use if I would bother).
https://hardforum.com/threads/noctua-nh-u14s-good-enough-for-ocd-8700k.1952005/#post-1043418448

My work on this computer is mostly done through VPN. I game on 1440P and in some demanding titles on 1080P. In addition I also use it for VR (HTC Vive PRO).

The only "overclock" I have done, is to enable the machine to do its boost automatically. I have enabled MCE, XMP and best case profile in bios. All cores boost to 4.4GHz under Prime95, with a vcore @ 1.088V (automatically set by the motherboard).

So, try to give me any real world reason beyond academic numbers why I should bother overclocking (increasing power usage, heat, fan speed/noise or system stability (if I need to push the CPU to its limits to gain something/anything worthwhile)?

As you when you READ the [H] reviews, its not some numbers produced by a benchmark Queen that matters, but gameplay. The real world benefits, thats the [H] way. (y)

I don´t speak for everyone, but reading is fundamental. People in this thread have already stated their reasons. All you need to do, is to read them again without thinking that their statements are not based upon not knowing how to overclock, but no longer see the benefits doing it as they used to.

Keep in mind that the importance of overclocking the CPU is less today then it was only a couple of years ago. Here is a few examples:

* Modern CPUs and motherboards have a pretty decent boost algorithm, giving you a high clock on demand.
* Higher resolution monitors are cheaper these days, so more people game at higher resolutions, putting more load on GPU and therefore free up some CPU clocks. Bottleneck is shifting to GPU.

That was more in general. Now, if you want to discuss my system and try to give me a reason to overclock, then please go ahead:

Its an i7-8700K on an Asus Prime z370-A motherboard. GPU is a MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X (I am waiting for the right GPU to upgrade to).My system is build to be quiet, so that goes for all fan configurations. CPU cooler is a Noctua NH-U14S, single fan, not dual (I have extra fans to use if I would bother).
https://hardforum.com/threads/noctua-nh-u14s-good-enough-for-ocd-8700k.1952005/#post-1043418448

My work on this computer is mostly done through VPN. I game on 1440P and in some demanding titles on 1080P. In addition I also use it for VR (HTC Vive PRO).

The only "overclock" I have done, is to enable the machine to do its boost automatically. I have enabled MCE, XMP and best case profile in bios. All cores boost to 4.4GHz under Prime95, with a vcore @ 1.088V (automatically set by the motherboard).

So, try to give me any real world reason beyond academic numbers why I should bother overclocking (increasing power usage, heat, fan speed/noise or system stability (if I need to push the CPU to its limits to gain something/anything worthwhile)?

As you when you READ the [H] reviews, its not some numbers produced by a benchmark Queen that matters, but gameplay. The real world benefits, thats the [H] way. (y)

Seems awesome to have your CPU with all cores boosting to that speed. Is that something special in the board or just enough of an overclock to ensure that speed is enabled? I've been out of PC building for a while now. I'd love to get that sort of setup when I upgrade

Seems awesome to have your CPU with all cores boosting to that speed. Is that something special in the board or just enough of an overclock to ensure that speed is enabled? I've been out of PC building for a while now. I'd love to get that sort of setup when I upgrade

Nothing special and I even have low clocks for this CPU (on purpose), so if anything, its an underclock. Intel turbo boost is part of the CPU features (kinda like GPU boost is now a standard feature on GPUs).
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/core-vpro/i7-8700k.html

You can read a bit about it here:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

Nothing special and I even have low clocks for this CPU (on purpose), so if anything, its an underclock. Intel turbo boost is part of the CPU features (kinda like GPU boost is now a standard feature on GPUs).
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/core-vpro/i7-8700k.html

You can read a bit about it here:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3077-explaining-coffee-lake-turbo-8700k-8600k

I'll check those links out. Thanks for the info. I know on the older stuff it's single core boost. I feel like I'm missing something in this though. Haha appreciate the information.

Since I game at 4K, CPU speed barely has an effect on performance. So for me 4GHz is more than enough, I don't care about 1% more fps. I care much more about temps in my mini ITX cube case. For that reason Intel using TIM instead of solder is making me wanna go AMD. We'll see if 9900K really uses solder, otherwise it's Ryzen2 for me.

I will always overclock. There's never enough performance. I plan on moving to 240hz soon from 180hz and my CPU already cries.

I'll check those links out. Thanks for the info. I know on the older stuff it's single core boost. I feel like I'm missing something in this though. Haha appreciate the information.

The key to MY settings, is "SVID behaviour" @ best case settings in bios. With that setting on (combined with MCE on all cores and XMP profile activated on memory, I get a moderate boost while the motherboard doesn´t overdo the voltage. It gives me an option to use Intels boost features, while having a small underclock and undervolting vs. stock. :)

Having performance on demand, while having a cool, quiet and stable system is very easy on todays generation motherboards and CPUs. (y)

I feel overclocking the CPU is still useful for CPU heavy games. Just going from a 3570K @ 4.4 GHz to 6600K @ 4.6 GHz was the difference between solid 4K @ 30 fps vs dipping under in GTA V using a 980 Ti. At lower resolutions not very noticeable though.

Coaxing the absolute highest stable MHz from your CPU with your fans blaring at full blast on the other hand seems like a waste. I'd rather have a computer that runs fast but is also quiet. I like getting some free performance by overclocking but won't go as far as to have elaborate liquid cooling systems to do it. I used to do that but as time went on air coolers caught up so now it's just more convenient to have something you can easily swap to your next system as opposed to having to buy new water blocks etc.

Its pretty easy to get moderate overclocks without having any real effect on noise levels.

That's great but you don't have to mock his opinion and perspective.

Obviously, lots of people succeed with overclocking - there's a number of forums dedicated to overclocking processors. But, there's also issues and people post 'help me with this overclock situation...' etc. There's also lots of intangibles and challenges with it (for some people - it's great if you and others are able to accomplish what you want without much trouble).

Imho, I might try it. But, I also think many of these processors are pretty powerful without using an OC. Even if you succeed, there's still the increased power and temps that you can't avoid, no matter how skilled you are with your settings.

OP, I'm with you. I no longer overclock because I prefer a silent system and less energy use. I'm content with the performance I'm getting, plus these days it's mostly about the GPU anyway.

I’ve never cared for overclocking and I’ve always looked to the non-k processors for two reasons. Number one, the difference seems pretty marginal in my opinion, and number two, I simply do not have time to screw around in a Bios looking at settings or messing with coolers and paste. I have kids and my opportunities to open my machine are few and far between. If I do open my machine, there is a real possibility of little fingers and/or toys ending up in my build. Actually three reasons, the third being that I prefer itx components and low noise. So I’m pretty in line with OP. Cheers

I was big into overclocking back in the late 90's (Ya I'm old) but now days I could care less. However....when I see folks getting 5GHz out of my 3.6GHz processor...it makes me wonder if I should be OCing again.

Sorry, but I've gotta chime in again and say, given how easy mobo makers have made overclocking these days, it's simply just pure bone-idle laziness not to do it. While you're replying to this thread, you could be in your bios overclocking, exploiting the knowledge of these forums.

I mean the only 'complication' these days is installing a decent 3rd party cooler, but honestly lol, if you can't handle that, then I basically just wouldn't consider you to be a hardware enthusiast. :ROFLMAO::geek::pompous:

Sorry, but I've gotta chime in again and say, given how easy mobo makers have made overclocking these days, it's simply just pure bone-idle laziness not to do it. While you're replying to this thread, you could be in your bios overclocking, exploiting the knowledge of these forums.

I mean the only 'complication' these days is installing a decent 3rd party cooler, but honestly lol, if you can't handle that, then I basically just wouldn't consider you to be a hardware enthusiast. :ROFLMAO::geek::pompous:

Because if you install a good cooler, you can automatically get about 90-95% of a modern chip's potential without doing anything? I have a i7-7700K with a H150i and it pretty much sits at its all-core turbo (4.4 GHz). Keeping stock voltage, I can maybe get 4.6-4.7 Ghz. But assuming I'm willing to bump voltage to ~1.35V to go 5 Ghz, I'd have to do a TIM repaste or else temps goes ridiculously high.

It's a far cry from my last O/C chip, the i7-2600K. It's base clock was 3.4Ghz and turbo was stupider then. So setting multiplier to 4.2Ghz at stock voltage and good temps for a free 25% O/C was a no brainer.

And that's an even farther cry from my best daily driver overclock, the Pentium-M Dothan. I bought a Pentium-M 730 1.6Ghz could hit 2.4 Ghz at stock voltages with good temps. Slight voltage bump (+.1V) and it could do about 2.6 GHz with a dinky cooler, at which point my memory was holding it back. Was such a unique combo at LAN parties because they performed better than Athlon FX's in many games, much to the chagrin of those owners (and their stupidly bulky coolers :))

* Higher resolution monitors are cheaper these days, so more people game at higher resolutions, putting more load on GPU and therefore free up some CPU clocks. Bottleneck has shifted to the GPU.

I fixed that for you.

Because if you install a good cooler, you can automatically get about 90-95% of a modern chip's potential without doing anything? I have a i7-7700K with a H150i and it pretty much sits at its all-core turbo (4.4 GHz). Keeping stock voltage, I can maybe get 4.6-4.7 Ghz. But assuming I'm willing to bump voltage to ~1.35V to go 5 Ghz, I'd have to do a TIM repaste or else temps goes ridiculously high.

It's a far cry from my last O/C chip, the i7-2600K. It's base clock was 3.4Ghz and turbo was stupider then. So setting multiplier to 4.2Ghz at stock voltage and good temps for a free 25% O/C was a no brainer.

And that's an even farther cry from my best daily driver overclock, the Pentium-M Dothan. I bought a Pentium-M 730 1.6Ghz could hit 2.4 Ghz at stock voltages with good temps. Slight voltage bump (+.1V) and it could do about 2.6 GHz with a dinky cooler, at which point my memory was holding it back. Was such a unique combo at LAN parties because they performed better than Athlon FX's in many games, much to the chagrin of those owners (and their stupidly bulky coolers :))

I would still say that's Post-hoc justification/rationalisation for 'lazy behaviour', but only in this context.

But family/kids better than this shit, for sure.... I wouldn't know.... :joyful:

To be honest, I would prefer if the CPU and GPU would just boost up to the best possible speed given the power and heat constraints. Then it would just be up to us the provide the best possible cooling (air or water) to get top performance minus a few percent.

I think we might be getting close to that as I expect the i9 9900K to turbo pretty well with that soldered die. It looks like Intel finally solved that issue where you before had to choose between single core top speed and numbers of cores. Really looking forward to that CPU. 8 cores is the sweet spot for me.

To be honest, I would prefer if the CPU and GPU would just boost up to the best possible speed given the power and heat constraints. Then it would just be up to us the provide the best possible cooling (air or water) to get top performance minus a few percent.

I think we might be getting close to that as I expect the i9 9900K to turbo pretty well with that soldered die. It looks like Intel finally solved that issue where you before had to choose between single core top speed and numbers of cores. Really looking forward to that CPU. 8 cores is the sweet spot for me.

We're certainly there for GPUs, but until CPUs have the same granularity of clock speeds as GPUs, it's gunna be the same old game.

It's good but with Intel tricks (migrations) and the price bloat, that price is really insane, imho. It's almost twice the price of the 8700k in Canada. I hope lots of people pass for that reason.

Man, for all the people who scream "AMIGAD THE EXTRA H34TZ!?!?!"

my 6700k @ 4.6Ghz is at less than stock volts, and runs cooler than your "stock clocked one". and is faster. and cooler. and quieter. and consumes less power. and edits are done faster.

I will never understand the argument against it.

I overclock but relatively conservatively. For instance, my current CPU is overclocked from 3.5 to 4.2 (so 20%)... with very little additional voltage... temps are never exceeding 70C...
and it took me very little time to achieve this.

4.4 or 4.5 is achievable but this would only have represented an increase of 5%/7% in performance...The trade-off between risk, performance and time is just not there for more aggressive OC.
That being said, trying to achieve the highest stable OC can be fun if this is your thing.

Back