Anyone Else Left Steam and Moved to GOG ?

svet-am

Supreme [H]ardness
I just downloaded the GOG Galaxy client to redeem a game key that is only available on GOG. I must say I'm impressed. Task Manager shows that it is much lighter than Steam and some old freebie games I got on GOG years ago (and forgot about) are just sitting there DRM free.

some of up coming AAA games are steam only ( for example fo4 )
so i doubt any1 is going to abandon steam completely anytime soon

is the client really light weight? I get GOG when I can. Can't ditch steam for everything though.

GOG works fine for me, but it's not a replacement. I use both. Both are better than uPlay and that abortion called Origin, though.

At this point I can't really get rid of any PC gaming clients without either giving up several games or re-buying them....which I'm unlikely to do.
While I'm not really a fan of 3 of them, I have Steam, Origin, GOG Galaxy, and uPlay firmly entrenched on my machine.

Use GOG whenever possible, Steam and Origin when there is no other choice.

And just NO to uplay. Don't bother looking at anything that could be from ubi$oft.

I primarily buy on GoG because once you download them the games are yours. Steam can snap their fingers and lock you out of everything you purchased, forever.

I primarily buy on GoG because once you download them the games are yours. Steam can snap their fingers and lock you out of everything you purchased, forever.

Lolwut? Since when?

Lolwut? Since when?

Since it's inception? To be fair Gabe is the nicest guy you'd ever meet (as long as you don't ask about Half Life 3) and wouldn't screw us over, but yeah, you just need to hope that Gabe doesn't die or something. And also it would be foolish business to pull the games from under you, but is possible.

Since it's inception? To be fair Gabe is the nicest guy you'd ever meet (as long as you don't ask about Half Life 3) and wouldn't screw us over, but yeah, you just need to hope that Gabe doesn't die or something. And also it would be foolish business to pull the games from under you, but is possible.

True. Possible in the sense that Canada may one day invade New Zealand.

I try to get as much from GoG as possible, but I am still tethered to steam because publishers just don't want to do DRM free.

The "take away all your games" does happen, it happened to me, and when it takes 3 days to get a reply between emails with support believe me you will hate steam if it ever happens to you. I lost my library for 2 weeks just going back and forth with support to clear it up. 1 problem on 1 new purchase locked me out of every game I ever bought on the service till I got it cleared up. It also locks you out of redeeming any games you might have bought on other sites, downloading games you do own, or updating any games you might have installed with new patches.

No I haven't left, I have lots o' games on Steam. However GOG is my first choice for games and has been for a long time. I'll buy on GOG if available, and only if it isn't (which it is often not) move on to other services. The "no DRM" business model is something I approve of greatly. So I buy from them when I can and when I Kickstart a game, I ask for the key on GOG rather than Steam.

Also in terms of protecting from Steam, I register any of my EA games on Origin, regardless of where I get them (and have gotten most of the recent ones on Origin direct). Their client is not as nice as Steam, but their customer service is head and shoulders better.

In general, being somewhat diverse with game locations is good. It protects you individually meaning if any service tanked you wouldn't lose ALL your games and it also helps the larger picture because if everything goes to only one marketplace, that marketplace can start abusing that position.

Newell may not have the health to run the company for another 10+ years. Hope that whatever happens after he leaves doesn't change much.

Well and think of this: When he leaves, which he will one day or another (he'll either get tired of it, have his health decline, or simply die, it happens to everyone) he, or his heirs, will probably sell the company. Now imagine if Sony buys it. Or Apple. Or Disney.

Steam could very well end up in the hands of a real shitty company, since many shitty companies have a lot of money, and they could decide to change it for the worse.

Hopefully that doesn't happen, hopefully it remains a great marketplace for all time. But unlike a large company that is publicly traded and has a large management structure this is basically in the hands of one man. At some point, that man will leave and then we just don't know where it will go.

I try to get as much from GoG as possible, but I am still tethered to steam because publishers just don't want to do DRM free.

Somebody gets it. People like to blame Valve for the DRM mechanism as if it's some company or store policy for publishing on Steam. The opposite is true - it's the publishers that are given the ability to toggle DRM on/off when they push a game to the store, and most publishers obviously choose to enable it. Valve provides a marketplace and a service, just like GOG, however GOG will remain stuck in first gear because unlike Valve who is flexible on DRM, GOG has an anti-DRM store policy. Its an admirable ideal but turns publishers and business away.

Fun fact most people don't realize: There are actually a boatload of games on Steam that are DRM-free, meaning they can be copied to another PC and run without Steam.
http://steam.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_DRM-free_games

Code:
100% Orange Juice
7th Guest
11th Hour
8BitBoy
8-Bit Commando
99 Spirits
1000 Amps
AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! for the Awesome
AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
3079 -- Block Action RPG
3089 -- Futuristic Action RPG
Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
A Story About My Uncle
A Valley Without Wind
A Valley Without Wind 2
A Virus Named TOM
Abyss: The Wraiths of Eden
Actua Soccer 3
Adam's Venture Episode 1: The Search For The Lost Garden
Adam's Venture Episode 2: Solomon's Secret
Adam's Venture Episode 3: Revelations
Adventures of Shuggy
Aeon Command+
AI War: Fleet Command
All Zombies Must Die!
Alpha Protocol™
Always Remember Me
Amnesia: The Dark Descent+
Anachronox
Analogue: A Hate Story
Anna - Extended Edition
Anodyne+
Antichamber
A.R.E.S.: Extinction Agenda
ARMA: Cold War Assault
ARMA: Gold Edition
ARMA II
ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead
ARMA Tactics
Arsenal of Democracy: A Hearts of Iron Game
Assassin's Creed™: Director's Cut Edition
Assault Android Cactus
Astebreed
Atom Zombie Smasher
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Aztaka
Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition+
Ballpoint Universe - Infinite
BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope For the Young Century+
Bardbarian
Barter Empire+
Bastion
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition
BEEP
Bejeweled 3
Ben There, Dan That!
Beyond Divinity
Bik - A Space Adventure
Bionic Dues
Bionic Heart+
Black Mirror
Black Mirror 2 - Reigning Evil
Black Mirror 3 - Final Fear
Blackwell+series
Blocks That Matter
Blood Bowl® Legendary Edition
Bloop
Bob Came in Pieces
BOMB
Borderlands 2
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel!
Bravada
Breath of Death VII
Broforce
Broken Age
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Brutal Legend
CAFE 0 ~The Drowned Mermaid+
Card City Nights
Carmageddon Max Pack
Castle In The Darkness
Cat Goes Fishing
Chernobyl Commando
Cherry Tree High Comedy Club
Cities in Motion
CONSORTIUM The Master Edition
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, Episode 1 - The Hangman
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, Episode 2 - The Wise Monkey
Cogs
Containment: The Zombie Puzzler
Cortex Command
Costume Quest 2
Crayon Physics Deluxe
Crow
Crusader Kings II
Cthulhu Saves the World
Cubetractor
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!™
Dangerous Waters
Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game
Dark Fall: The Journal
Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
Data Jammers: FastForward
Dawn of Discovery
Dead Sky
DEFCON
Déjà Vu: MacVenture Series+
Delver
Demigod
Deponia
Desktop Dungeons
Dex
Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark
Dungeon Defenders
Divine Divinity
Divinity II: Developer's Cut
Divinity: Dragon Commander
Divinity: Original Sin
Driftmoon
Dungeon Siege
Dungeon Siege II
Dungeons of Dredmor
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
Eador: Genesis
Electronic Super Joy
Eleusis
Elven Legacy
Enclave
ENSLAVED: Odyssey to the West
Escape Goat 2
Eschalon: Book II
Ether Vapor Remaster
Eufloria
Europa Universalis III
Europa Universalis IV
Evochron Mercenary
eXceed - Gun Bullet Children
eXceed 2nd - Vampire REX
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
Fable - The Lost Chapters
Face Noir
Faerie Solitaire
Fairy Bloom Freesia
The Fall
Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel
Fallout 3
Far Cry® 2: Fortune's Edition
fault milestone one
F.E.A.R.: Extraction Point
F.E.A.R.: Perseus Mandate
Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1+
FEZ
For The Glory: A Europa Universalis Game
Frozen Synapse
FTL: Faster Than Light
Full Mojo Rampage
Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition
Galactic Civilizations II: Ultimate Edition
Gemini Rue
Glacier 3: The Meltdown
Gnomoria
Goat Simulator
Gods Will Be Watching
Gone Home
Gothic 3
Grand Theft Auto (?)
Grand Theft Auto 2 (?)
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas+
Gratuitous Tank Battles
Gratuitous Space Battles
Gravity Badgers
Gray Matter
Grimm
GT Legends
GTR - FIA GT Racing Game
GTR 2 FIA GT Racing Game
Gun Metal
Hacker Evolution Duality
Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2: Episode One
Half-Life 2: Episode Two
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
Half-Life: Source
Hammerwatch
Hate Plus
Hector: Badge of Carnage - Full Series
Heileen 1: Sail Away
Heroes of a Broken Land
Heroes Rise: The Hero Project
Heroes Rise: The Prodigy
Hero Siege
Heroes of Might & Magic V: Tribes of the East
Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
HOARD
Home
Hotline Miami
I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
Interstellaria
Jamestown
KAMI
Kerbal Space Program
King Arthur's Gold
Knights and Merchants
Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
Killing Floor
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame
Legend of Dungeon
Legend of Grimrock
Legend of Grimrock 2
Legendary
Lightfish
Long Live The Queen+
Lost Civilization
Lovely Planet+
Lucid
Lunar Flight
Magical Diary
Majesty Gold HD
Majesty 2
Marauder
Mars: War Logs
Memoria
Mercenary Kings
Mini Ninjas
Momodora III
Monaco: What's Yours Is Mine
Monstrum
MoonBase Commander+
Motte Island
Multiwinia
Muri
Narcissu 1st & 2nd
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart
Nightmares from the Deep: The Siren`s Call
Nimbus
Noitu Love 2: Devolution
No More Room In Hell
//N.P.P.D. RUSH//- The milk of Ultraviolet
Nuclear Throne
NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
Octodad: Dadliest Catch
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Risk of Rain
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD
One Finger Death Punch
Orbital Gear+
Ori and the Blind Forest
Original War
Outlast
Painkiller Redemption
Papers, Please
Party of Sin
PixelJunk Eden
The Polynomial - Space of the music
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4
Penumbra Overture
Pineapple Smash Crew
Pixel Piracy
Portal
Primordia
Project Zomboid
Proteus
Psychonauts
Puzzle Quest 2
Quest for Infamy
Q.U.B.E
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut+
Ravensword: Shadowlands
Rayman® Origins
Really Big Sky
Receiver
Redshirt
Resonance
Retrovirus
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
Rock of Ages
RUNNING WITH RIFLES
Saira
Sakura Spirit
Sanctum
Sanctum 2
Sang-Froid - Tales of Werewolves
Satazius
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Serena
Serious Sam 2
Serious Sam Classic: The First Encounter
Serious Sam Classic: The Second Encounter
Shadowgate
Shadowgate: MacVenture Series
Shadowrun Returns
Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut
Shannon Tweed's Attack Of The Groupies
Shantae: Risky's Revenge - Director's Cut
Shatter
Shattered Haven
Shelter
Shovel Knight
Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
Sid Meier's Railroads!+
Silent Hill Homecoming
Skyward Collapse
Snapshot
Sniper Elite
Snuggle Truck
SOL: Exodus
Sol Survivor
Sonic Adventure DX
Sonic The Hedgehog 4 - Episode I
Space Empires IV Deluxe
Space Hulk
Space Rangers (?)
Spacebase DF-9
Splice
Stacking
Starbound
Star Ruler
Star Ruler 2
Starwhal
Street Racing Syndicate
Strike Suit Zero
Stronghold HD
Stronghold Crusader HD
Summoner
SUNLESS SEA
Sunrider: First Arrival
Super Crate Box
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Super Laser Racer
Super Meat Boy
Super Panda Adventures
Super Trench Attack!
Surgeon Simulator 2013
Sword of Asumi+
System Shock 2
Take On Helicopters
Takedown: Red Sabre
Tales of Monkey Island - Episode 1
The 39 Steps
The Albino Hunter
The Bard's Tale
The Book of Unwritten Tales+
The Bridge
The Cat Lady
The Cave
The Detail+
The Dream Machine
The Journey Down: Chapter One
The Maker's Eden
The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom
The Path
There Came an Echo
The Samaritan Paradox
The Secret World
The Shivah
The Swapper
The Walking Dead
They Bleed Pixels
Thief™ Gold
Thief™ II: The Metal Age
Thomas Was Alone
Tidalis
Time Gentlemen, Please!
Tiny Barbarian DX+
To the Moon
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Chaos Theory®
Tomb Raider II
Tomb Raider III
Tomb Raider IV: The Last Revelation
Tomb Raider V: Chronicles
Towns
TrackMania Nations Forever
TrackMania² Canyon
TrackMania² Stadium
Transistor
Trapped Dead
Trine 2
Triple Town
Tropico 5
Tsukumogami
Two Brothers
UFO: Afterlight
Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge
Unstoppable Gorg
Uplink
Valdis Story: Abyssal City
Vertex Dispenser
Viscera Cleanup Detail
VVVVVV
Waking Mars
War of the Human Tanks
WARMACHINE: Tactics
Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic
Windosill
Windward
Wizardry 8
Wizorb
Worms Pinball
World Basketball Manager 2010
WORLD END ECONOMiCA episode.01
The Yawhg
Zigfrak

Last edited:
Steam is a shitty DRM service with terrible customer support and all your games are on constant loan. If they ever go down, most of your games might too. They only have marketshare going for them. Blind worship of The Gabe is unprecedented, too, which also doesn't help gamers.

GOG is my no1 choice, by far.

I always check GOG first and don't mind paying a few dollars more if they have the game I want. Sometimes I use Steam and Origin since you can't escape them for some games.

No I haven't left, I have lots o' games on Steam. However GOG is my first choice for games and has been for a long time. I'll buy on GOG if available, and only if it isn't (which it is often not) move on to other services. The "no DRM" business model is something I approve of greatly. So I buy from them when I can and when I Kickstart a game, I ask for the key on GOG rather than Steam.

Also in terms of protecting from Steam, I register any of my EA games on Origin, regardless of where I get them (and have gotten most of the recent ones on Origin direct). Their client is not as nice as Steam, but their customer service is head and shoulders better.

In general, being somewhat diverse with game locations is good. It protects you individually meaning if any service tanked you wouldn't lose ALL your games and it also helps the larger picture because if everything goes to only one marketplace, that marketplace can start abusing that position.

Ya I agree. They all have their pros and cons.

GOG works fine for me, but it's not a replacement. I use both. Both are better than uPlay and that abortion called Origin, though.

Origin is a masterpiece of software engineering compared to fucking uPlay. I've seen issues with Origin but I've never seen it destroy a Windows installation. I can't say the same for uPlay.

My best friend has over 1200 games on Steam. Me, I have at lease 400 so I don't see either of us ever dropping Steam.

you don't need to 'leave' Steam to use GOG...you use both (along with Origin, Uplay)...games are becoming more client exclusive so you're going to need all of them to play your favorite games...I installed the Galaxy client for Witcher 3 and like it a lot...not as flashy as Steam but it works fine

Galaxy is lightweight but their interface is bland and boring and very ugly. Steam has a great looking interface and library but the client itself is a resource hog. Also Steam fucked up the marketplace bad, they also need to improve their community page. The only game I have on Galaxy right now is Witcher 3 while I have over 300+ on Steam so I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Steam can ban your account which means everything you purchased can no longer be accessed. With GoG you download the installer and can save it and it can never be taken away.

Sadly yes, it happened to me back in 2005 for a very dumb reason that is pretty much my fault but didn't expect to have my account disabled. I ended up coming back because I was still a serious CS:Source player at the time and Steam is the only way to play it so :/

Steam can ban your account which means everything you purchased can no longer be accessed. With GoG you download the installer and can save it and it can never be taken away.

The only way anything like that would ever happen is if you did a bunch of chargebacks or were trying to scam people. You will never lose your account for hacking in a game, you just get a VAC ban.

I'll abandon Steam once I'm able to take my entire library of games with me. Until that time I'll still be using Steam. But I have started to migrate to GOG whenever possible.

I just downloaded the GOG Galaxy client to redeem a game key that is only available on GOG. I must say I'm impressed. Task Manager shows that it is much lighter than Steam and some old freebie games I got on GOG years ago (and forgot about) are just sitting there DRM free.

Steam shouldn't be an issue with modern processor speeds. If steam is slow for you I recommend you upgrade if that's a concern.

I prefer Galaxy over Steam, but they do need to continue to improve it and they are, so as long as that keeps happening I'll continue to look to Galaxy for my games.

Why would I leave Steam? Steam is perfect for what it does. I don't see a reason to pick one or the other because they are two separate platforms dealing with two separate audiences. I have been a GOG user for a LONG time, and have every classic game I could want on there, heck I even occasionally buy AAA titles there (Witcher games,) but that is a rarity. On the other hand steam is good for a much wider assortment of games, AAA, greenlight, indie, and valve games. Both platforms are amazing, and while it is nice to see GOG continue to thrive, and move somewhat out of the classic games niche, they will never truly compete with Steam.

Don't be using stolen credit cards or trying to hack steam and this won't be an issue. If Galaxy ever caught you using stolen credit cards or trying to hack their system you would lose your account there as well.

2. USING GOG.COM AND GOG CONTENT
You have the personal right to use GOG content and services. This right can be waived by us in some situations (examples are below). 2.1 We give you and other GOG users the personal right (known legally as a 'licence') to use GOG.com to download and/or stream (depending on the content) and use GOG content and other GOG services. This licence is for your personal use. We can stop or suspend this licence in some situations, which are explained later on.

Steam shouldn't be an issue with modern processor speeds. If steam is slow for you I recommend you upgrade if that's a concern.

This, I have never seen steam take up much resources at all, I'm talking in the sub 5% range.

I've had a lot of issues connecting to steam... not sure why and nothing I've tried has worked. Maybe they blocked the port on our network, I'm not sure... :(

GOG is great though, and Humble Bundle (which sometimes offers DRM-free games)

Don't be using stolen credit cards or trying to hack steam and this won't be an issue. If Galaxy ever caught you using stolen credit cards or trying to hack their system you would lose your account there as well.

You can be banned for other things. Stealing someone elses steam account by changing the password will ban any other steam accounts you own. Impersonating a valve employee.

When they were first rolling out Steam Guard, I ran into a situation where my primary hard drive died and I used the situation as an opportunity to replace my entire PC. At the same time, I was moving cross-country.

When I got moved, I built the new PC and when I connected to steam for the first time they locked my account because they detected different hardware in a different geographic region. Talking to their support about the situation was useless. It took forever to get it sorted out.

It was not a situation where I lost my username or password. They just detected this and made a unilateral decision to lock my account without first confirming with me if I thought this behavior was malicious.

It's not just charge backs or stolen CC. It's any kind of payment issue especially ones that look like charge backs that will trigger a suspension. In my case, Steam's CC processor checked if it could charge it, got the OK from the CC company, told steam it got the money, so Steam let me have my game. A few days later, it turns out the CC processor didn't actually charge the card and take the money, it only got authorization to charge the amount and for some reason it wouldn't go through, so steam suspended my account thinking it was a charge back of some kind.

Similarly several people have complained about a similar thing happening with paypal. Paypal thinks you're account was fraudulently used so stops payment to steam, Steam thinks it's a charge back then suspends your account.

Galaxy and Steam have their reasons to suspend/terminate your accounts, that is perfectly fine IMHO, the issue is unlike Galaxy, Steam games are mostly NOT DRM-Free they are tied to the account. So while you deal with support, you are completely locked out of the games installed on Steam even those legitimately bought previously that should have no connection to the current transaction that is having issues. Unlike Galaxy, since it is DRM-Free you can just click on the game icon from your start menu and run and play it even if you are dealing with support.

When they were first rolling out Steam Guard, I ran into a situation where my primary hard drive died and I used the situation as an opportunity to replace my entire PC. At the same time, I was moving cross-country.

When I got moved, I built the new PC and when I connected to steam for the first time they locked my account because they detected different hardware in a different geographic region. Talking to their support about the situation was useless. It took forever to get it sorted out.

It was not a situation where I lost my username or password. They just detected this and made a unilateral decision to lock my account without first confirming with me if I thought this behavior was malicious.

Seems fair, this is a very unique set of cirumstances that would take a bit of effort to confirm before unlocking. They just don't want to deal with hijacked accounts and then items being charges and going through the hassle of doing refunds.

Seems fair, this is a very unique set of cirumstances that would take a bit of effort to confirm before unlocking. They just don't want to deal with hijacked accounts and then items being charges and going through the hassle of doing refunds.

I don't mind the lock. What I mind is that it took WEEKS to convince them of what happened and get my account back.

Back