Anyone else interested in WildStar?

So is it a bad deal at $20 for a month and then probably uninstall?

Old Republic instead?

I would personally choose...

World of Warcraft (subscription)
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (subscription)
Guild Wars 2 (Buy to Play)
The Secret World (Buy to Play)

Instead of Wildstar or SWTOR. I found that SWTOR crashed and burned shortly after launch due to cutting corners and I hate the way they've moved to the "cartel coin rare item box" system where you pay real money for a mere CHANCE of getting the unique item you want.

I'm sure much of this has improved since I left, but it was too little to late. It had potential, but it fell apart on its own. WoW had nothing to do with its demise. I'm raiding Blackrock Foundry in WoD now, and the mechanics are a lot more fun than anything I read about in Genetic Archives and Datascape (Hanz and Franz is awesome)

Not really, very little has improved, I still play it since I'm subbed through for several more months. The latest patch completely broke itemization again. Everyone told the lead dev that particular stats were useless on gear (grit and crit severity, for example), so the idiot turns around and re-balances the stat budget to put even more of those useless stats on the gear, because you WILL play the way he wants. The result is that people coming into the game now are going to be even worse off than those that have the old versions of the item. Especially when compounded against the fact that it still takes a couple months to get all your AMPs / Ability Points to get your player power up to par.

They still keep putting in ninja changes that seem to only exist as a "eff you" to the players, such as making daily quest mobs more difficult when no-one complained about them. So yeah, I'm pretty sure that they are done with the game and are just going through the motions until they can announce that they are shutting it down.

Looks like Pangamers site was toasted by Cloudflare... which is kind of ironic.

A B2P model I think would really help this games pop. As of now 2 of the 4 servers are completely dead, and the dominion side on the populated 2 servers are very underpopulated.

They have to do something to get old and new players in game or this will close down sooner than later.

having gone back to gw2 after a 2 year hiatus, it was very easy to get back into, and their B2P/gem business model is perfect for mmo's

I play when I want..buy gems with real money when I want...stop playing when I want and don't feel weak whatsoever having 'missed' 2 years of gaming

and the new expansion coming has a wicked looking NEW wvwvw map that I MUST play on

I beta tested wildstar and the telegraph system killed this game..i was watching the ground/telegraphs all the time...one of the worse design decisions ever

I hate the way they've moved to the "cartel coin rare item box" system where you pay real money for a mere CHANCE of getting the unique item you want.

Which is the exact same thing as Black Lion Trading Company chest in Guild Wars2. You pay real money for a key to open the chest and each chest has like a 1 in a million chance of getting a ticket. I guess the tickets are better though because those let you pick an item from a list. Regardless, its still lame to pay real money for a miniscule chance at getting what you want. I hate most RNG in games. I wish more would do it like DDO where you get like a 1 in 4 chance of getting a Raid loot drop and then on your 20th run you get to pick from a list. That way those that have horrible luck can still work towards getting what they want or need.

Re-subbed over the weekend. Seems like they've optimized the graphics quite a bit, it ran very smoothly for the first time on my system. A good deal of changes have been made to the game in the last three months it appears.

How are they still funding development at this point? The number of subscribers has to be abysmally low.

How are they still funding development at this point? The number of subscribers has to be abysmally low.

It is a big topic on Twitch where it has been hinted many times that the game's subscription is going away for either F2P or Buy and Play. Personally I'm hoping for Buy and Play as there will be a cash shop for cosmetics, but I can just spend money on the base game and have fun a few days a month. Either way there is usually a subscription option for those that want extra perks.

I rarely go "hardcore" in MMOs nowadays like I did WoW. I don't begrudge those MMOs that want to keep their subscription though. Most of them have the same underlying mechanics anyways. :)

What they don't mention is if the existing cost will remain the same. I would be happy having it lowered to like $9.99 a month or something. It's casual gameplay for me.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the prices are staying the same and I cannot find the link, but will try to dig it up. I am torn with this change as I have been playing since the first day non stop, but we all know something needed to change to get more subscribers.

We will see how it goes but F2P is way better than B2P and I guess there are no other options out there. As long as they don't touch difficulty etc I will be happy. More PvP'ers are always welcome. Hopefully the PvP servers can come back alive after this.

Wildstar developer Carbine Studios lays off nearly half of its staff.
Wildstar developer Carbine Studios lays off nearly half of its staff

However, reports Polygon has received from sources close to the studio paint a grimmer picture. While NCSoft's statement didn't provide exact numbers, we were told that more than 70 people have been let go from Carbine, as much as 40 percent of the studio's total workforce. Furthermore, sources tell us it was made clear to remaining employees that they should expect additional layoffs in the coming months.

"Those remaining only have a couple months left before Wildstar 'coasts into the sunset,'" one source told us. All of the sources we spoke with asked to remain anonymous.

My thoughts:

R.I.P. Wildstar! Too bad the game copied WoW so much to the point where I was bored at the beginning of the game. The beginner dungeon I entered wasn't challenging like the higher level stuff I'd seen in videos. Everyone wants to copy WoW and can't understand why the player base rejects it. We left WoW because we were burned out on the same mechanics over and over again. At least Black Desert Online is available for me to play. It is such a divergence from classic WoW, and every other MMO on the planet, that I'm actually having fun killing the same mobs over and over again.

To NCSoft and all the WoW clone makers. Please let those games die. If we want to play WoW, then we would subscribe to WoW.

The next time-bump in this thread will probably be the "NCSoft shutting down Wildstar servers" post. At this point there is no recovery because people don't want to invest time/money into something that is in its last days anyways. With Wildstar failing, I think its a good indication that WOW style MMOS are done.

I really wanted to like WildStar. Even as a "copy" of WoW, it had just enough new and different - like action combat, comprehensive housing, the "paths" system, a unique and fun game world etc - to really be a worthy entry in the market. Alas, they fell victim to a lesson to which EVERY MMO DEVELOPER should pay attention - Never allow the "exclusionist" demographic to guide the path of your title! In WildStar's case, these were hardcore raiders, some of the most likely "exclusionists" - a term I use for people who not only want content made primarily for the hardcore-of-the-hardcore, but feel making alternate modes/content that are more accessible/less tedious etc.. insults them. WildStar should be a painful lesson that listening to these types will not win you enough of an audience to have a functioning MMO.

NCSoft/Carbine hired people from Death and Taxes, Elysium, and other "world first" raiding guilds, and marketed WildStar as being "For the real, hardcore raiders". They wanted to roll back to the early WoW days (or beyond, to some pre-WoW MMOs), banking on the outcry of the exclusionist minority who hated all of the changes WoW made since its launch to reduce tedium, grind, and make content more accessible, such as Raid Finder mode. Thus, WildStar pushed 40 man, keyed raiding, but also had even more dreadful itemization in dungeons. For instance, you had to run dungeons (which were significantly more difficult than WoW era Heroics, on average) with a "Gold Medal" ranking to get any sort of desirable, gear upgrading loot. Getting Silver, Bronze or just basic completion was basically garbage. Thanks to this design, people dropped out left and right if it didn't look like a mission was going "Gold", which meant those who had the knowledge for the mission were unlikely to pass it down to those learning. As the gear granted by Gold runs was necessary to move up in WildStar's rigid raiding structure, players who couldn't end up getting it just left instead. This got even worse when it came to their raids, which were sequentially geared as well, and often keyed! Worse, the WildStar devs even made their new and innovative features, like crafting and housing, tedious! For instance, if I got a nice rare widget for my housing plot that I wanted to put down in location X, then later move to Y, it was treated as an individual item that I would need "another" one to set it in Y! This made even the housing system require tons of grinding and people being unwilling to layout their house with reward items lest they end up losing them! If only they made it so that Housing items unlocked (especially account wide) and then could be placed/replicated at will, it could have been a fun system.

WildStar had the potential for a great theme park MMO, just different enough from WoW to win some converts, but they listened to the "hardcore exclusionist" types and failed to bring quality-of-life changes that WoW themselves and many MMOs to come (ie Guild Wars 2) would bring about, losing their chance. The amount of people who actually pine for the grind, obtuseness, and tedium of the early days are few, and it should be a lesson not to listen to those who claim such things make a game great. Don't get me wrong, as an EverQuest (and Dark Age of Camelot, Shadowbane, Asheron's Call etc.) veteran there are some things that I would like to see return from the early days, but it isn't the lack of "quality of life" improvements! Some next gen MMOs like Shroud of the Avatar and Crowfall are trying to revitalize these old systems but also do so without forgetting decades of development in the process. I wiish WildStar learned this lesson sooner

Wildstar developer Carbine Studios lays off nearly half of its staff.
Wildstar developer Carbine Studios lays off nearly half of its staff

However, reports Polygon has received from sources close to the studio paint a grimmer picture. While NCSoft's statement didn't provide exact numbers, we were told that more than 70 people have been let go from Carbine, as much as 40 percent of the studio's total workforce. Furthermore, sources tell us it was made clear to remaining employees that they should expect additional layoffs in the coming months.

"Those remaining only have a couple months left before Wildstar 'coasts into the sunset,'" one source told us. All of the sources we spoke with asked to remain anonymous.

My thoughts:

R.I.P. Wildstar! Too bad the game copied WoW so much to the point where I was bored at the beginning of the game. The beginner dungeon I entered wasn't challenging like the higher level stuff I'd seen in videos. Everyone wants to copy WoW and can't understand why the player base rejects it. We left WoW because we were burned out on the same mechanics over and over again. At least Black Desert Online is available for me to play. It is such a divergence from classic WoW, and every other MMO on the planet, that I'm actually having fun killing the same mobs over and over again.

To NCSoft and all the WoW clone makers. Please let those games die. If we want to play WoW, then we would subscribe to WoW.

The game had been in development since 2007 when WoW was hitting its height, so you can't really blame them for trying to copy WoW since that was the time MMO's started to copy WoW. If the game had released lets say 2009-2010 I think it would be doing well. I think by the time it released in mid 2014 people were burned out from WoW clones, thus it failed. Plus, it was and still is a technical mess, buggy and the performance still is shaky. I get shit performance with my righ (in sig)

Back