Anyone else having issues with a Geforce 4 440 MX and Doom 3?

0ldman

2[H]4U
Flashlight shows black specs in a seemingly random pattern, regardless of clock speed, drivers, etc... set below default, overclocked, etc... same thing.

After looking at it again today, it looks like the patern of garbage follows the mip maps...

Didnt know that the MX series could even run Doom3. Saw the 4200's even getting single digit frames.

Doom 3 is just about unplayable with my rig @ 800x600, that i dont even both with it. And the fact that it looks awful at 800x600.

seriously, this just may be the minimum card you'd want to play Doom3 with

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792031

I have the same card, and can play @ 1024x768 HQ with an average of about 35-40fps (which does dip to around 17 in some parts of hell).

Or even better if you're on a budget is the new 6600 Nvidia card...I'd like to see benches on that one when it gets more mainstream.

GeForce 4 MX Series is old news and should not be running Doom 3.

Just for curiousity I removed my Radeon 9800 Pro and tried running doom on my Geforce 4 MX onboard video card and had the same results - Black specs on anything the flashlight illuminated. The game was very playable @ 640X480 Low Settings with everything turned off. Not a good card to play Doom 3 with.

i have mx440 but didn't even try to play doom3, cos i have xpertvision mx440 which is 1/3 speed of normal mx440. however mx440 is supported according to d3 readme.

even if mx440 worked it wouldn't be worth playin it with pos. it would ruin the great game..

0ldman said:
Flashlight shows black specs in a seemingly random pattern, regardless of clock speed, drivers, etc... set below default, overclocked, etc... same thing.

After looking at it again today, it looks like the patern of garbage follows the mip maps...

I expect thats about normal for that card in that game.

To those that answered, thank you very much. Sounds like an engine limitation or something... maybe a bug fix one day... at least I know my laptop isn't about to blow a cap...

to those saying it isn't playable, shouldn't play it with a 440, bite my ass. Didn't ask. It works just fine when I'm on the road and its all my laptop has. Try to help or butt out, don't crap in my thread.

As for Ti4200 in single digit framerates, you heard wrong. Ti4200 right here, the worst framerate I've had so far was low 20s, 800x600 low detail. Big explosion while I was getting creamed by the fire critter, an imp or two, a hellknight and one of those damn fire spitting flying things. Perfectly playable, especially considering its on the 32inch TV.

The 440 only ruins the game if you play it for looks. I play games for fun.

Liam said:
Doom 3 is just about unplayable with my rig @ 800x600, that i dont even both with it. And the fact that it looks awful at 800x600.
yeah i've got a p4 3.0ghz with a 4200 and its only playable at 640x480xlow quality

Since I upgraded my RAM to 768 (temporarily, unforunately) I have been running 800x600 med detail with an Athlon XP 2100+ @ 2GHz with a Ti4200. Do I have some magic mojo that the other 4200 owners are missing? My framerates have not dropped noticably.

At 800x600 low, average framerate of 45-50fps, most of the time in heavy action it drops to 30-35fps, once it hit in the 20s...

I'm still running medium detail now to see how it runs. I'll post numbers when I have time to do so.

ok just ran d3 with mx440 n got a sad result.. 6.8fps on 680x480 low with card o/c 300/380 (275/285 default) on xp3200+. i know my mx440 is much worse than normal mx440 but still.. :( anyway basically its not playable even at lowest setting.
9500@9700 (360/285) gets 45/40fps on 1024x768 med/high on same setup.

heh i should dig out my 9000 and 9600SE jjust for fun ^^
ill post some frame rates this week

Can you post a picture or two of your problem, I think I have a similar problem but due to my ti 4600 dying :(

I can get a screen shot, but I don't have anywhere to host it.

it is just a pattern of black specs only on the portion of the wall or floor the flashlight or a certain light source hits. It is seemingly random, but as you move, the pattern changes, sometimes diagonal, sometimes vertical, sometimes as an image looks when viewed in 16 or 256 colors, sometimes it just flickers randomly.

Kind of like dithering in photoshop or paintshop, random diffusion or fixed pattern diffusion... whatever the terms are now, I can't remember.

yes i have the problem too, i at first thought it was due to my mx440 being oc'ed too much, but now i see that its cuz of some other problem.

no im not playing doom3 on this card, i was running it for testing in one of my machines which has a mx440 integrated with 768megs of ram.

and yeah i know d3 doesnt look good on a mx440 but then again its playable at 640x480 at low detail. we should thank carmack for making d3 support this card, for the people who cant afford a better video card, but still wants to play d3.

the problem is that if u focus the flashlight on a wall, random black dots are seen, similar to artifacts. doesnt hinder gameplay though, for me.

GF4MX440 is just a spiced up GF2MX unfortunately.

However, I'm running Doom 3 beautifully on my Ti4600.

t-bred @ 12x200, 1gb of memory in sync 3-3-3-11, demo1 @ 31fps.

800x600 medium 2xaa

:D

Technically, I think the Geforce 4 MX is a cut down Geforce 4 Ti, but as they are all based on the original Geforce...

Just splitting hairs... :p

It is kinda poor on the MX, but as I said, but it is possible to play on the road...

jc originally stated it would run on a geforce1, hahaha
i cranked it to ultra the other day at 16x12 with full aa/af on my 97pro and it was a f'n slide show, just for giggles of course

Back