Anyone else hate the stock p4 hsf?

ehZn

[H]ard|Gawd
I just thought I would share how much I HATE the stock p4 hsf. I had to take it off this past weekend to put on some as5 and omfg!

It is locked in by 4 plastic clips that are not only a bitch to pry open, as soon as you get one off the other ones tighten and become almost impossible to get off. I almost knocked off one of the capacitors on my mobo with a screwdriver wrestling with it.

if you dont like it, dont use it. i never had a problem with it, its performs fine when at stock speeds, its quiet, and its reliable. i was even able to overclock to 3.2 with it. if i was building a system for someone i would use the stock heatsink.

I considered getting a new hsf, but I figured that I'm not going to get much more out of oc'ing past the 3.06 I have it at so it's not worth the money, but I picked up some as5 cheap so I just did that.

I'm not saying it performs badly at all, just that I dislike the attachment design.

i had a more difficult time removing a volcano 7+. i was afraid of breaking the motherboard mounts with that piece of. that thing was hella louder than the stock hsf and i was only able to get to 3.3 with it. i can now hit 3.4 with water and my ram is limiting me from going higher.

I have the stock hsf and still use it after 4 months, the only reason being i'm still working on putting my watercooling together. It is a bitch to get off, but other than that it has been ok.... Temps are bad and haven't tried to OC either.

Yes I hate it too... a b*** to get off the board.

I bought the Gigabyte 3D cooler and I have been very happy. Such a relief.

My stock P4 boxed CPU cooler is a piece of junk, as well.

Except in my case, only the corners of my CPU's lid even made good contact with the heatsink's TIC - the center of the CPU's lid hardly touched the TIC at all! No wonder why my temps shot up past 60°C all too often! :mad:

ehZn,

OMFG! You are right, that P4 stock cooler is a piece of sh*t to get off. I decided to try it on my Mom's RMAed MB replacement temporarily one day to make sure the MB worked and had the hardest time getting the thing off. Seems like it cools fine, but getting it off is a real chore. I will never use one of these again. In fact, to make sure I would never use this one again, after getting it off the MB I beat it to submission with a sledge hammer.:eek: Man, that was a lot of fun! :D

My Mom now has the same HS as me (Thermalright SLK-947U). :cool:

hahaha, I wouldn't mind beating mine with a sledgehammer either!

Glad to see other people hate it as much as I do. The only good thing I can say about it is that it seems to cool fairly well and the thermal pad cleaned off pretty easily with acetone.

Is easy to remove if you know how it works, especially if you've got a removable motherboard tray, so you can actually get to the clip with both hands. If you can do that, the thing to do is remove two of the hooks at once(either set that is facing each other).

My main complaint is that the stock fan is a noisy beast.

eastvillager said:
My main complaint is that the stock fan is a noisy beast.

Mine seems to be pretty quiet. The loudest thing in my system is the damn ABIT NB fan. I'm thinking it may be replaced with a passive hs sometime soon....

yea, the stock intel hsf was really quiet, the ic7's nb fan is very noisy along with the fan off my video card (when i was using air cooling) both made it very noisy.

id like to see how quiet a system would be with no case fans, and a zalman reserator cooling the cpu/nb/gpu would be.

Back