Anyone else get a BFG 6800 Ultra yesterday?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

I do not know about you, but to me this has to be the worst packaged 6800 Ultra amongst the entire 6800 lineup. I was expecting a little more, but I guess the card is all that matters?

The problem (may not even be a problem) is that I think I may have gotten a Refurby. For example: the 'caution' sticker used to seal the anti static bag came to me partly ripped off and it appeared like a new one was placed on top. The anti static bag itself had a bunch of holes in it like ants ate through it and to make matters worse; one of the CDs pictured on HardOCP's review was missing in the package I got.

I think I may have either gotten a Refurby or the BFG factory is not machine orientated, rather it could be people who put the crunk together and (being humans and all) made a few mistakes with my package. If you got one of these cards could you please let me know the condition your card came in? I would greatly appreciate it and I would love to hear what Scott has to say about this.

I did not just blow 500 wing-wangs on someone else's reject. :mad:

Nice. I would install it, see if it works, and go from there. If it was returned and it works, just consider it pre-tested.

Oh it works, works like a dream. I just have an uneasy feeling like somehow I got shafted is all. One thing I hate more than anything else online is having to RMA things. If I did get a booboo card then I can only hope that it never goes sour because then I will go postal.

There was a mention on the net somewhere that BFG ran out of bags or something and had to use used bags, or something like that. That would explain the condition of the bag you saw.

I hear that the shoddy packaging was simply because they did not have the time or resources to fill the orders in retail boxes or anything. I really doubt they would send you a refurb in place of a new card.

I thought the 6800's came with that tv-out/in adapter like the 5900's?

Oh and btw can you get a shot of the PSU's side panel (with all the voltage/current info) cause its no where to be found on the net, and im too lazy to ask bfg.

rene mauricio said:
I do not know about you, but to me this has to be the worst packaged 6800 Ultra amongst the entire 6800 lineup. I was expecting a little more, but I guess the card is all that matters?

The problem (may not even be a problem) is that I think I may have gotten a Refurby. For example: the 'caution' sticker used to seal the anti static bag came to me partly ripped off and it appeared like a new one was placed on top. The anti static bag itself had a bunch of holes in it like ants ate through it and to make matters worse; one of the CDs pictured on HardOCP's review was missing in the package I got.

I think I may have either gotten a Refurby or the BFG factory is not machine orientated, rather it could be people who put the crunk together and (being humans and all) made a few mistakes with my package. If you got one of these cards could you please let me know the condition your card came in? I would greatly appreciate it and I would love to hear what Scott has to say about this.

I did not just blow 500 wing-wangs on someone else's reject. :mad:

Hi Rene,
The purpose of the white box you received is to get out the pre-orders to you and everybody else as soon as possible. Since we didn't establish our overclocked frequencies until a few weeks ago, we didn't think it would be good idea to have the pre-orders wait a few weeks on boxes. We also got feedback from various focus groups we've conducted that suggested retail boxes were not necessary for the high-end consumers, as they were more focused on the actual hardware. Your feedback is also valuable so we will certainly consider both points of view for the next launch.

All BFG 6800 Ultra OCs are brand new and not refurbished. Regarding the anti-static bag, BFG removed the product from the anti-static bag upon arrival from NVIDIA and replaced the thermal grease under the fan with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste for improved thermal performance. We then resealed the bag with a new sticker, which is why you see two.

If you did not receive a CD in the box, please private message me with what CD you are missing and a name/address where I can ship it to, I apologize for the missing item :( There should have been a driver CD and a Demo CD in your package.

We have a Full Liftetime Warranty on all of our graphic products, which includes the 6800 series. If at any time now or in the future this card fails please feel free to contact our Toll-Free Tech Support (1-866-234-3499) for assistance or a replacement.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker

I received one yesterday and I agree with BFG's position that the retail packaging takes a huge back seat to availability. Mine arrived in good shape and is running like a champ. I do wish the card wasn't so long though, as I had to relocate my hard drives. That's not BFG's fault though, and I could have selected an ATI product if that was a deal breaker.

My main issue is power consumption... I need to spend some time calculating to make sure I'm not overloading my power supply. Right now I left a couple hard drives unplugged because I'm not sure how to cable it.

B

wow! :D
sherkelman, thats what i call professionalism! Your posts alone make me want to go with a BFG this round. :)

Scott to BFG's rescue once again.

Always nice to have some real time product support, isn't it? Makes me wanna buy a BFG...

CyberCRAP said:
So do only 6800 ultas have as5, or do the 6800gt cards as well?

same question here... will all 3 6800 cards get the same treatment? or is this an "ultra" thing only :confused:

sherkelman said:
Hi Rene,
The purpose of the white box you received is to get out the pre-orders to you and everybody else as soon as possible. Since we didn't establish our overclocked frequencies until a few weeks ago, we didn't think it would be good idea to have the pre-orders wait a few weeks on boxes. We also got feedback from various focus groups we've conducted that suggested retail boxes were not necessary for the high-end consumers, as they were more focused on the actual hardware. Your feedback is also valuable so we will certainly consider both points of view for the next launch.

All BFG 6800 Ultra OCs are brand new and not refurbished. Regarding the anti-static bag, BFG removed the product from the anti-static bag upon arrival from NVIDIA and replaced the thermal grease under the fan with Artic Silver 5 thermal paste for improved thermal performance. We then resealed the bag with a new sticker, which is why you see two.

If you did not receive a CD in the box, please private message me with what CD you are missing and a name/address where I can ship it to, I apologize for the missing item :( There should have been a driver CD and a Demo CD in your package.

We have a Full Liftetime Warranty on all of our graphic products, which includes the 6800 series. If at any time now or in the future this card fails please feel free to contact our Toll-Free Tech Support (1-866-234-3499) for assistance or a replacement.

Thanks,
Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker

Scott,

I only see one sticker on my ultra's antistatic bag, does that mean that Arctic silver 5 wasn't applied or that they just carefully removed the original sticker?

I'm honestly shocked to see an actual BFG employee posting here. It honestly made me reconsider what vendor to buy my future 6800 Ultra from.... I was leaning towards MSI, but I'm going to have to seriously consider BFG if this is how they treat customers (a great thing in this instance).

I have a stoopid question. If you buy that card and it comes overclocked....won't people still try to overclock it?

nippyjun said:
Scott,

I only see one sticker on my ultra's antistatic bag, does that mean that Arctic silver 5 wasn't applied or that they just carefully removed the original sticker?

They probably just gave you a new bag :)

Prizef1ghter said:
I have a stoopid question. If you buy that card and it comes overclocked....won't people still try to overclock it?

Of course. But then, you have to consider it more carefully in this case, because you may void that lifetime warranty trying to get a little bit more performance out of an already terrific card.

Vagrant Zero said:
Still doesn't explain that conveniant week long vaction the guy took.

Yea, screw those people who leave their computers for more than a day!!! :eek:

I think if I didn't work, I wouldn't be posting on forums. Always nice to know I get paid for making good use of my time.

I agree with your focus groups, a box does indeed take a back seat to availability, but the anti static bag is something (I feel anyway) that should not be tampered with. Can you imagine buying something like a pack of condoms only to get home and see that the seal is broken (despite the fact that the box is some what haggard)? Would you place your trust in such a product?

All I am saying is that some people may have concerns like I did - that they got a second hand product and they may not be fortunate enough to have a BFG representative talk to them and explain what happened. Perhaps you could have included a brief note explaining how BFG chose speed over packaging? :confused:

Would I buy another BFG card in the future? Sure I would. The card itself came to me built like a tank and I have been enjoying it now for the past few hours. All in all I am glad I chose BFG over PNY, XFX and eVGA.

rene mauricio said:
All I am saying is that some people may have concerns like I did - that they got a second hand product and they may not be fortunate enough to have a BFG representative talk to them and explain what happened. Perhaps you could have included a brief note explaining how BFG chose speed over packaging? :confused:

Great feedback, we are changing that process as soon as possible, thank you for your support!

Scott Herkelman
EVP Marketing

[BFG] AirWalker

Stuff like this is the reason that when I buy Nvidia, its only going to be a BFG product, my previous fx5900 was a BFG and it offered the best Overclocking, the Best stock cooling, and the best performace of the other fx series cards. Great company.

ir0nw0lf said:
There was a mention on the net somewhere that BFG ran out of bags or something and had to use used bags, or something like that. That would explain the condition of the bag you saw.
Sounds like quite an operation they have going there. :rolleyes:

Since the BFG guy is on here, why did BFG decide to use the reference cooler for the 6800s? Was it found to be overkill or did it have to do with time-to-market considerations (since these cards seem to be quite rare currently). I'm sure more than a few people went the BFG route because the card is available now instead of later.

ehZn said:
Yea, screw those people who leave their computers for more than a day!!! :eek:

I think if I didn't work, I wouldn't be posting on forums. Always nice to know I get paid for making good use of my time.

Ya, he left right on the eve of the pre-order fuck up [I STILL don't have my card yet people who ordered a week after me have theirs]. If you wanna kiss ass I suggest you use the PM function, more direct that way.

Very nice CS BFG, I only wished you got in the market with ATi as well.. I know why Kyle has always recommended you all as a company, responding in a forum like this is top notch... I will defiantly recommend you to all of my clan mates...

BFG just got my money on my next video card purchase. Excellent customer service ,guys.

phas3d

sherkelman said:
So the BFG cards roll off the same assembly line as eVGAs? The only difference is the BIOS frequencies, thermal compound, warranty, and price?

Visable-assassin said:
Let see you run run anything as good BFG does...then you can talk trash.

Using that kind of idiotic logic none of us have the right to comment on games, movies, books, etc since we don't actually develop games, make movies, and write books.

Like I already said we DO have a PM fucntion, use it.

To the ones that have already received their cards: Where did you pre-order them from? I pre-ordered mine from GameVE.com a while back and still have not received my card. On GameVE.com's website they show that they will not have them until 7/26/04 or something like that. sherkelman is there any way you would know when GameVE.com could be getting stock of them? I just wanna know if BFG has shipped the Ultra OC to GameVE.com to fill pre-orders.

Vagrant Zero said:
Using that kind of idiotic logic none of us have the right to comment on games, movies, books, etc since we don't actually develop games, make movies, and write books.

Can I PM you so we can go on a date :)

And why exactly is your title "banned"?

Vagrant Zero said:

How if BFG going to know who to shower with gifts unless it's posted in public?

I recieved my BFG 6800 Ultra OC on Tuesday (7-06) from BB. (Ordered 6-16).

Packaging was the same as yours.

All I can say is Dayuuuum!

Went from 1150 3dmark03's (GeForce 3) to a massive 12,106
My system is all stock speed, no OC.

Damn you, Lazer, that's a pretty sweet setup you have there. I'm jealous :(

3dmarks aside, hows the gaming? I've always wondered how halo and farcry would look with the eye candy on....

Scott's presence here and his information have been spot on. Its nice to see someone being "HONEST" in all this mess with the video card delays lately. I only wish BFG made ATI cards as i am going with an xtpe.

Still.. if i have to wait much longer, you can rest assured i will go with a BFG 6800GT.

Back