Anyone else fed up with PC gaming?

Epos7

Gawd
For the first time in decades, I haven't owned a console in the last 18 months. I upgraded my PC and have been using it for gaming, but I think maybe I made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong - PC gaming is great - when it works.

The issue is I find myself spending more time diagnosing problems than actually playing games. I spent 20 hours trying to get MSFS to not be a stuttering mess, even at 200fps, before giving up and uninstalling it. I've got hours into just getting my games to play on the display that I want (I have 3) and still not much success. Many of the online games I enjoyed on consoles I can't play on PC due to rampant cheating.

I don't know what happened, but at some point I felt PC gaming was the best path forward, and now I'm realizing it was the path to more work and less enjoyment, at a higher price.

/Rant.

In term of problem, the worst for me was early win95 I think in term of recuring problem (Gravis gamepad pro not working 50% of the time outside the just 4 button mode, not getting the 3DFX card to be used by the game from time to time) having to reinstall windows for a game installation to work, etc...

Since the Win98 or at least WindowsXP era and steam (maybe it is the fast update via the Internet or just code/hardware getting better and better), I am not sure if I had not more issue with consoles than PC gaming (which is always almost none)

Last edited:
Since the Win98 or at least WindowsXP era and steam (maybe it is the fast update via the Internet or just code/hardware getting better and better), I am not sure if I had not more issue with consoles than PC gaming (which is always almost none)

I think I'm an outlier when it comes to PC gaming problems. I've built a few PCs for friends to game on, and they have no issues whatsoever.

Case in point - everyone loves Steam, but it gives me nothing but problems. The Steam overlay breaks games, the launcher doesn't always work (currently it's launching three instances of Elden Ring at a time), Steam controller settings cause constant issues for me and are always turning themselves back on despite my conststent efforts to keep them disabled. Last year I fought Steam for a month because it kept deciding I wanted the Steam TV menu thingy when I hit the Xbox guide button. Didn't matter I kept turning it off.

Sometimes I wonder if I have a little gremlin in my PC 😄

Sidenote - if anyone can tell me how to disable the Steam Store advertisements that pop up in a separate window every time you launch Steam, I'd be very appreciative. Steam settings have never been very intuitive IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe you are trying to do a bit more than basic gaming (steam controller setting, launching game not on the primary monitor and keeping the other opens with something else running).

I feel it got so much simpler and robust over time, back in DOS days you started smartdrive depending on the game, floppy disk got corrupted, you had 3-4-5 different autoexec.bat setting for managing your types of memory differently for different games, there was many competing sound system, monitor color system, etc... now streaming your game from a pc to a different one plugged with Parsec on your tv using your console Bluetooth controller practically work out of the box, I do not remember which game did not work instantly correctly after installation and installed right away (I remember having those issue on ps4/ps3 and when it does not work on those, I am really clueless on what to even attempt outside retry to installing process that fail over an over).

Maybe people that try to play multiplayer or do mod/complicated have more issues, I feel if you want to not thinker about anything ever and just let auto update goes and use launcher do their things, PC gaming can get really simple and really solid now.

Last edited:
Maybe you are trying to do a bit more than basic gaming
Yeah, I definitely think that's part of it. My friends I built PCs for treat them more like consoles. I think if you do that, and only have your PC connected to one display, you're probably in good shape. I'm using mine for software dev, 3D modeling, photo editing, NAS management, and have multiple displays connected. My PC is a tool as well as being used for entertainment.

FWIW, I didn't turn anything on in Steam for the controller settings. It did that on its own. I just use an Xbox controller to play on my PC and Steam fucks with it. I don't like Steam.

Elden Ring had been running fine via Steam, but today decided it would just stop. Got home at 4PM hoping to play some games, spent the next 7 hours troubleshooting.

Maybe just luck of the draw. I never had any issues gaming on Nintendo 64, OG Xbox, GameCube, GameBoy, Xbox 360, PS4, or Xbox One. PC is just a constant game of Whac-A-Mole for me.

Last edited:
I've had zero issues with PC gaming, other than Corsair's iCUE app causing frequent crashes/reboots. Once I uninstalled iCUE, everything has been stable for years.

I've had zero issues with PC gaming, other than Corsair's iCUE app causing frequent crashes/reboots. Once I uninstalled iCUE, everything has been stable for years.
Hah, I too ran into the disaster that is iCUE. I've been much happier with Aquasuite.

I haven't had those kinds of issues, but my setup and usage are also pretty simple. It's weird that your controller tries to turn on big picture mode in steam...mine just brings up the xbox overlay. For me it makes a ton of sense to game on PC when you already benefit from having a powerful PC for other uses as well, but tbh consoles nowadays especially are very powerful and more flexible than ever.

I wonder if it's a PSU problem regarding the stuttery performance in MSFS...3080 can be spiky with the power draw. Or maybe you need to limit your frames in nvidia control panel? I'm sure you've looked at plenty of fixes already.

no system issues or things that i can't fix performance related in a couple of settings changes, unless the game is just a shitty port. that still happens from time to time. as far as the rampant cheating, yeah it exists so it really depends on what you play. i don't play CoD / Battlefield type games anymore so not really as concerned. honestly i bought a ps5 a while back and i thought that was a much worse investment as i've barely used it since having it because every game that comes out multi-platform i've chosen to play on pc. my ps5 has been solely for exclusives to which there really aren't many these days.

i actually like my switch OLED the most, which blows my mind. any game that is a GOOD switch port i find more fun playing in handheld. i've replayed a few games i initially played through on PC and had even more fun on switch. Hades, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter Rise was amazing, currently replaying Dragon's Dogma, great port.

Hardware issues, no, but I am facing a bit of burn out. I did Elden Ring for a couple weeks, but haven't played in a few days. Nothing really gets me wanting to log in and play right now.

I had a horrible time getting GTA V working with my new RX 6700 Xt, until I realized it was still set to 60hz from my old panel. Must say that aside from a few easy fixes through the years. PC all the way. Xbox 360 I used to enjoy since games were so cheap at GameStop but I got rid of it years ago

I'm not fed up with PC gaming as far as running into any driver issues or anything. But I do play more on a controller now than keyboard/mouse. I do like shooters with mouse/keyboard but any adventure/action game I prefer my Razer Wolverine Ultimate controller now.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
I find myself not caring much anymore about PC. I am perfectly happy just playing in my PS5.

I wish there were more quality MMOs I know New World just came out but more interested in Pantheon. MMOs are the only games that really are worth it when done right.

PC has some more game types that it is ideal for, whether it just be due to KB/M as a control scheme or whatever haha. There are MOBAs, strategy games and classic RPG games style like Divinity and Pillars of Eternity. I know consoles can use KB/M inputs, but I don't know what compatibility between titles is like.

My problem lately was when I started MSFS 2020 it would load and then just dump to desktop before fully loaded. Took a long time to figure that one out....had to uninstall the drivers and re-do them. Luckily, in the week I was trying to get it to work, nvidia put out new ones. So was it bdrivers or they didnt install properly the first time? Who knows...So yeah, I get that.

counterpoint...

It was much easier to play with others on PC for me. I don't just play with random people I don't know. I play with family. I just type in the network settings and it works. No need for subscriptions to xbox whatever it is. So, with a $500-1000 PC for me and my son, we can save $10/mo. Also, the split screen on console can be tough the older I get. And then, modding the game is easier on PC. We play minecraft a lot, and it is easy to add features or shaders. Or hardware for the game...I have a yoke and throttle for FS. I got it probably 15-20 years ago for the prior FS. I plugged it in and it works great. I cant imagine it working on xbox.

Lastly, I like RTS games. I dont even know if they exist on consoles. Even if they did, they would be cumbersome.

Some game experiences on a console are probably fine. Others, not so much. I can't imagine finding FS2020 on console as enjoyable.

Reactions: Epos7
like this
I have lost motivation in gaming in general. I bought and have a bunch of games that I "want" to play but just don't feel motivated to play them.
The only game I play regularly is Overwatch, I usually play that every other day as a game mode I like cycles every other day.
I did buy an Xbox Series X last month for myself, it's still sealed in the box.

I'm honestly pretty happy with PC gaming right now. We get all of Microsoft's Xbox exclusives on day 1, and even the notoriously reluctant Sony is porting their titles to the PC. In terms of quality, it's very, very rare when the PC version isn't the absolutely best available. Technology-wise, HDR gsync and freesync are supported in most new TV's. Ditto with 120Hz. Atmos audio? Yup, that too.
It absolutely isn't perfect, and I feel like DX12 is as much of a problem as it is an advancement. Yet most problems CAN be averted or get patch fixes rather quickly. GPU prices and shortages are also a pretty clear issue, too.

dealing with bugs and workarounds is actually pretty fun...I'm currently playing Guardians of the Galaxy on PC and it has some major/minor bugs...but I found solutions online and it's fine...

PC all the way, got a small backlog that I need to find time to get through including Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Mesa, Prey, Hitman 3, God of War. My rig is pretty stable and I haven't had any real issues for a few years now except for my last rig (7770K and Asus Z270-A). I had 3000 MHz ram which ran at 2133. If I enabled XMP to have it run at 3000 then several games would crash constantly, even after spending far too much time manually tweaking voltage and timings. Ended up just leaving it at 2133, no more crashes....

Last edited:
Ya feel like this is more an issue between the keyboard and chair ;) or something specific you are doing.

Games all default to the "primary" monitor and unless you change that or play a game in window mode...you wont get it on the monitor you want. I have 4 monitors and my middle is my high FPS monitor and my primary, games just start on it.

MSFS which version? it has its share of issues...

I play old and new games on my rig on windows 11 currently and everything just works, this goes back to TF2 which is how old now? to Diablo III, Apex Legends, et cetera, and they all run smooth as butter

I also use my computer for many other tasks, and nothing gives me issues whether I am on windows or linux. (AMD 5950X / 96GB ram / NVMes / SSDs / RX6800 / 4 monitors)

Pretty much. Shit games. Shit prices. Shit everything really.

Going back to the monitor comments and treating the PC like a console... I have no real display issues and I use NV Surround with triple screens. Some games like it some dont. Easy enough to set them to run on the native resolution of one monitor or edgeless windowed. If I am playing VR I disable my display group down to one monitor and plug the headset into one of the sockets and play. Then plug the monitor back in and enable the group.

I have never used my PC like a console. Constantly running with 20 or so browser windows open, media players, remote tools, Discord, steam, screen recording software etc. Don't think my usage is all that abnormal. Hell half the day one of my monitors is connected to my work laptop and I flip inputs around regularly lol.

My hardware is a little older so less driver problems potentially but some bits are not being supported as actively as the new stuff so /shrug. I had a few issues with some games when I built this one but nothing dramatic or out of expectation.

Nah, I still love it. On Windows I don't really find anything frustrating in the PC gaming world. I did end up giving up gaming on linux though lol, at least for now. Too much hassle for me.

I would never want to hassle with multiple displays. I just use my single display 4K LGTV setup for my gaming rig and am quite happy with it. I also just stick to KBM except for emulators, where I use a wired Logitech F310.

I mostly stick to older games and some VR games right now. Dhewm3 + redux mod, Soundboxing in VR, classic Tomb Raiders, classic Dooms, Unreal Tournaments, PS1/2 games emulation. Going to give Pavlov VR a go again soon, lots of new maps and features to try out.

I am much less trigger happy about buying new games than I was in the past though. I don't remember what the last PC game I bought was actually 🤔 Maybe THPS 1+2.

I have lost motivation in gaming in general. I bought and have a bunch of games that I "want" to play but just don't feel motivated to play them.
The only game I play regularly is Overwatch, I usually play that every other day as a game mode I like cycles every other day.
I did buy an Xbox Series X last month for myself, it's still sealed in the box.
You're not alone there. I find myself just going in for a quick round against bots in Modern Warfare, and the occasional Golf game. Other than that I don't play much anymore. I actually like upgrading and tinkering with my PC more than playing games at the moment. I had a PS5 and rarely played it so I sold that.

No, but I'm frustrated with console gaming. Almost every freaking time I turn it on, it wants to install either a system software update or a title update, or worse: both. And I end up waiting for over half an hour for it to finally start the game I wanted to play. Often not even wanting to play at that point.

You're not alone there. I find myself just going in for a quick round against bots in Modern Warfare, and the occasional Golf game. Other than that I don't play much anymore. I actually like upgrading and tinkering with my PC more than playing games at the moment. I had a PS5 and rarely played it so I sold that.
I used to look forward to upgrading and modding my PC's too, but I can't find any motivation. I bought a Corsair 680x case in July of last year to house my 5900X and 3080Ti setup that I built in May/June of last year.
The goal was to swap that setup from the 465X case into the 680X and put that in the garage as my main PC setup and either sell the 5800X/3080 setup or stick it in my bedroom.
So right now, the 5900x/3080Ti setup just sits up in my bedroom and I use it to watch videos for an hour or so before I hit the sack. Haven't even fired up a single game on it.

Outside of Valve always being too cheap to upgrade bandwidth/capacity for Steam sales so the store is offline or laggy the first 2 hours every sale, I haven't had an issue with Steam since:

thLOfWD.gif

The PC in my sig is still in use. Only difference is more storage and a 970 since the 780 bit the dust. Have not gamed on it in over 5 years. Was built when 4770k launched... May 2013 ???

Got PS4 pro and now PS5 never looked back. Last console was PS2 I think ? Don't play shooters anymore. Hate steam hate lobbies hate client side garbage and no ftp access to servers you have to buy/rent from the same asshole companies who make shitty games anyways.

From software games were the last things I played on PC anyway. Pretty sure the last thing I played was dark souls 3 on pc so almost 6 years now. Sure there's a couple games I'd like to play on PC that are actually pushing the boundaries again finally. Not paying what they are asking these days for 3080 cards anyway. No way in hell...

Only times I’ve been frustrated over compatibility or odd game behavior on pc was due to 1) a faulty component, 2) SLI on Nvidia cards, or 3) poor driver support on early ATI / AMD cards. If anything, it feels like those types of issues have become less common in PC gaming over recent years. Even when the odd issue does surface I kind of enjoy finding tweaks to improve the gaming experience on PC (since on consoles you don’t typically even have the option).

So no, definitely not fed up with PC gaming!

Yeah, I definitely think that's part of it. My friends I built PCs for treat them more like consoles. I think if you do that, and only have your PC connected to one display, you're probably in good shape. I'm using mine for software dev, 3D modeling, photo editing, NAS management, and have multiple displays connected. My PC is a tool as well as being used for entertainment.

FWIW, I didn't turn anything on in Steam for the controller settings. It did that on its own. I just use an Xbox controller to play on my PC and Steam fucks with it. I don't like Steam.

Elden Ring had been running fine via Steam, but today decided it would just stop. Got home at 4PM hoping to play some games, spent the next 7 hours troubleshooting.

Maybe just luck of the draw. I never had any issues gaming on Nintendo 64, OG Xbox, GameCube, GameBoy, Xbox 360, PS4, or Xbox One. PC is just a constant game of Whac-A-Mole for me.

Yeah, if you want to play a game on launch year , then expect to deal with launch issues. Or, your entire game suddenly crashing after an update - this shit happens on all platforms!

There are still enough games ready to be played after the voluntary delay (or in the case of EGS, Forced patch wait) that I'm happy waiting (it also saves me money as they are $20-30)!

For the first time in decades, I haven't owned a console in the last 18 months. I upgraded my PC and have been using it for gaming, but I think maybe I made a mistake.

Don't get me wrong - PC gaming is great - when it works.

The issue is I find myself spending more time diagnosing problems than actually playing games. I spent 20 hours trying to get MSFS to not be a stuttering mess, even at 200fps, before giving up and uninstalling it. I've got hours into just getting my games to play on the display that I want (I have 3) and still not much success. Many of the online games I enjoyed on consoles I can't play on PC due to rampant cheating.

I don't know what happened, but at some point I felt PC gaming was the best path forward, and now I'm realizing it was the path to more work and less enjoyment, at a higher price.

/Rant.
Yes, there have been several major and medium profile releases in the past two years, which have launched with widespread issues and have taken 2+ months to really fix up to a solid experience. Its very annoying.

Back