Anyone else enjoy ASUS' RMA process?

RallyMK1

n00b
I sent in my motherboard, a P8P67 Deluxe, for an RMA 3 weeks ago. It finally came back today, completely unfixed! I had the B2 stepping south bridge problem, so my first 4 sata ports were unusable. I'm still under warranty, so I thought, "Hey, let's send it in and just get it fixed." Well, whatever. Just got off the phone with their RMA support, and they told me that they didn't know why it wasn't fixed, but that if they still had my board in stock, they'd send a new one out, but if they didn't, then I'd have to send mine in for a completely new RMA. Gah!! Such a fun time.
Just wanted to complain a little bit. Hope you guys have had better luck with ASUS than I have.

I havnt had any problems. My p8z68-v pro died on me. I sent it in, and did an advanced RMA. Boom. The only issue i had was the person i spoke to, I could BARELY understand a word. I asked to speak to someone with a less thick accent. The guy said sure, and i was transferred to someone who i could understand. Other then that, painless.

3 weeks, wow that's fast.

I've had the displeasure of dealing with Asus 3 times in the last 10 years or so. After the last one, I swore I'd never buy another Asus motherboard. I believe my second RMA was a socket 939 board several years back. Took them over 2 months to get it back to me. They sent me the same dead board back.

If you're bored, you may be able to find one of my posts a couple years back regarding my hardware failures.

Long story short, I had a machine that would not power up. I RMA'd the PSU and the system powered but failed on CPU.

I talked with ASUS online support who, I felt, was really quick to diagnose that it was my CPU that was failing. So I RMA'd my CPU.

New CPU arrives and same error on boot. (I kinda figured that). I contacted ASUS with the new information and promptly cross-shipped a new Rampage III Extreme.

Reassembled it all and done! Practically a new rig! (its the one in my sig!)

While the process of getting my gaming rig back online was an overall long time, Antec, Intel and Asus all responded in a satisfactory timeframe.

Did you not have the ability to cross-ship? At least, this way you know you're not getting your same board back. :)

Waiting 3 weeks for a mobo is stupid. You should always do cross-ship and normally you have to ask for this, they dont just offer it to you.

I was definitely stupid for not asking to cross-ship on the first round. I just thought they'd offer it if it was possible!
I sent them their customer survey back with a lot of 1s, and I plan on calling tomorrow if things aren't properly resolved.
Glad that some of you had a bit more luck than me.

Yeah, I had that happen to my graphics card. I bought their 560 Ti but it arrived DOA and when I returned it for RMA. It came back unfixed, and even DIRTIER. It had glue residue on card that wasn't there before I sent it in.

Did you ship it to the plant in the mid-west, like Tennessee or something? Some guy that used to work there post here and he said the workers and management there are horrible at procedures and testing.

Do I have to call in to set up a cross-ship fully, or will they do it via the online RMA form and then ask me to call in CC info for the hold charge? Anyone know? My motherboard's having its SATA ports die... :(.

While I have had only good experiences with ASUS, I never use online, and have been aware of the need to request cross-shipping since 1993. Back then it was parts from Gateway 2000, and I have never had the pleasure of cross ship being offered without asking specifically for some other option than waiting for return.

Perhaps the folks having issues are not taking the high road, and are acting disgruntled because high tech, sensitive hardware is not failure proof. It is somewhat dissatisfying when a top tier vendor does not go above and beyond for customers. I also understand that a mainboard purchase varies in price form floor to ceiling in costs. With the consideration of the fact that the core of your computer is the main board, I only spend the money on a top performing and stable one. No ASROCK, and preferably an ROG-type of board. You get what you pay for, and the service will also follow. If you come off as a cheap customer, expecting them to offer the moon plus service for $100, go buy Dell. Just don't come crying when the fine print gets quoted to you about the things they won't do under your terms of purchase on that $450 PC.

Or go buy MSI, Biostar, or the like. You'll get mediocre performance and stability, as well as mediocre service at best.

This is my opinion and experience. Your mileage may vary.

ASUS has now had my P8Z68 for a month and they claim they don't have my MB in stock and so I just have to wait. The mother board is just 4 months old! Each time I call I get a different story from their staff. I have been in contact with the escalation dept (Aaron) but he has stopped responding since I started to push back a bit. When I track my MB with the online system it still says they haven't received my MB yet.

Someone please reassure me that this will all work out.

As a result, I'm officially looking to switch MB brands but I dont know what else is out there. For all I know, the other manufacturers are as bad or worse. Any Ideas?

I won't buy ASUS any longer because of this. I'm an MSI fanboy now.

I had to send my 5970 in twice. The first time it came back unfixed with no notes. The second time they lost it. Then a few weeks after providing a tracking number they found it and I was told they couldn't fix it so they would exchange it with a 6970 or gtx 570. I told them that was unacceptable so after about a month they sent me GTX 590 Which other than taking almost 3 months at this point I was happy. Turns out the GTX 590 they sent was also bad, so i sent it back. Several weeks later i get it back with no notes and not fixed again. At this point I give up, I would rather flush a $600 GPU down the toilet than deal with the cluster fuck of this ASUS rma.

I have been without a GPU since September 13.

I had to send my 5970 in twice. The first time it came back unfixed with no notes. The second time they lost it. Then a few weeks after providing a tracking number they found it and I was told they couldn't fix it so they would exchange it with a 6970 or gtx 570. I told them that was unacceptable so after about a month they sent me GTX 590 Which other than taking almost 3 months at this point I was happy. Turns out the GTX 590 they sent was also bad, so i sent it back. Several weeks later i get it back with no notes and not fixed again. At this point I give up, I would rather flush a $600 GPU down the toilet than deal with the cluster fuck of this ASUS rma.

I have been without a GPU since September 13.

The only thing I can say there is, rofls.... Thats just wrong.

Back when I did my c2d e8400 build I had some variant of the Asus p5q motherboard. It died. It took me a while to convince them that it really was dead before they would issue the RMA. Eventually they let me send it in. They sent me another board, no problem. However, the replacement held out just long enough for the warranty to expire before it too died. I wasn't real impressed by that.

Right.

Because Gigabyte, MSI, Biostar, Sapphire, and the other Taiwanese companies all have great RMA services...

Fortunately, PC components rarely fail (and if they do, it's usually right away or because of user error), so you rarely have to deal with these companies.

First of all dont deal with anyone but Fremont Ca.
Do not do any other way than by phone.
If you call Fremont ask them if this is Fremont, and if they had switched you someplace else, tell them you want Fremont
It usually takes 20 min to get in depending on day and time then another 20 min for you to explain (includes holds)
When you ask for cross ship they will take your CC# and email you a prepaid UPS/FEDEX mailer label for printout
And they wont accept an RMA without the CPU pin protector locked in

Having said all that, based on an experience I had online I learned a better way. A guy on another forum showed me a pic of his CPU socket and he obviously smushed down about 5 LGA pins. It wasnt subtle - it was VERY obvious. So I told him he was out of luck, ASUS would see that immediately and reject the RMA. He replied that he bought it at Amazon and tthey had a no hassle RMA, all online. So he sent it in and they crosshipped him a brand new one using the CC# he originally bought the mobo with. Not only that they sent him a prepaid ship label for the old mobo, and even sent him an email reminder to return the old one.

Thusly I have adopted a policy of never ever buying a mobo from any other place than AMAZON, even if the price is higher. I build alot of these boards and since then I have used their scripted automated RMA proceedure and have been totally happy. I couldnt imagine a better way of doing RMA.

You just go to your original order, click return, reason - defective, replacement, crosship? yes. Done

Now all the mobo I sent back (site says 30 days - but they give 45) were defective, and not of my doing. Just bad boards. I have been wondering, if one sent in a mobo with an obvious user caused malfunction, and you already have the new board and all installed - what are they gonna do? Ask for the board back? Or because multi billion dollar Amazon is such a good outlet, that ASUS will take anything and just suck it up. Or would ASUS force Amazon to charge your CC? ASUS sold 20.6 million mobo last year and 58 million devices of all types. Why the ASUS RMA process is so borked makes no sense - wouldnt it be better for good customer realtions to just send out new boards anyways?

And fwiw, only buy mobo that say stocked and sold by Amazon, or if it says only one left - call to see when more are coming

Oh, and there is a special way to prepare ASUS board so they cant send same one back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kWJaQVldK2Y

Last edited:
I won't buy asus ever again, all of the Past issues with them were horrible!!! Never again MSI, Corsair and Evga for me!

They make good products just don't back them that well

thinking about this some more, the big questions are:
How many people who did a U.S. ASUS RMA crosship had their credit card dinged because of user fault determination?
Has ANY person who did an Amazon ASUS RMA crosship ever had their CC dinged for any reason?

Anyone?

Maybe I'll put this in main Intel mobo forum
I am really curious about this

I really like the cross ship service but they tend to never have high end gpus in stock to cross ship so my request gets denied. I've read people with older hardware have the same issue.

The p8p67 pro they let me cross ship was silky smooth.

I wish i could do that with my gpu.

I have rarely had an RMA problem unless the component was out of the serial number warranty period.

the sales receipt fixed this :D

Did you ship it to the plant in the mid-west, like Tennessee or something? Some guy that used to work there post here and he said the workers and management there are horrible at procedures and testing.

Yes, that's exactly where it went. Also, thanks for the great advice, Cisco Guy. Very helpful.

That was likely me. The only plant in USA other then Asus Corporate is the Pegatron Plant in Jeffersonville, Indiana.

More info here.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1651650

I wonder when ASUS is going to get the idea that their RMA blows and needs a complete overhaul. A thread like this pops up several times a year, and always results in pages upon pages of people complaining that ASUS RMA is the worst of the worst.

I'm still buying ASUS parts, but every time it's a huge worry that I'll get a bad item and have to deal with ASUS RMA. I'd rather have someone rip out all of my fingernails.

So it has now been 1 month and a day. The website still says that they have not received my Motherboard. I called ASUS (again) and gave them my FedEx Tracking number. Now they know that they have lost my Mobo. When I asked to speak to a supervisor the response was, "she is busy checking emails at the moment." I asked that someone get back to me either via email or via phone regarding the whereabouts of my Motherboard. Its been 4 days and no effort has been made to contact me.

If the status of my primary rig wasn't at stake I would almost find this comical. Its a P8Z68-V. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement that IS NOT ASUS?

I've had 2 cross ships and 3 other RMA's with ASUS.... every single time it's gone smoothly. Only company I'll buy boards from at this point.

I've had trouble with both MSI and XFX (more so with XFX--- 3 month wait, and got a board with no chipset cooler). EVGA never gave me trouble, but they tend to charge a bit more for less features compared to ASUS.

I won't buy asus ever again, all of the Past issues with them were horrible!!! Never again MSI, Corsair and Evga for me!

They make good products just don't back them that well

I agree 100% with you on Corsair and EVGA (see my rig below). I haven't bought from MSI though, but I'd be more much comfortable buying from MSI than Asus.

He said Asus headquarters was a good repair center. I paraphrased below in context to whom he was replying to:

ACI is Asus Computer Inc. Headquarters is in Fremont, California, they do the same thing the Jefferson repair centers do but not shitty. All of the boards we got as replacements were either in-house (Jefferson) or ACI boards. The ACI boards had a 99% success rate and working, where as we would go through at least 3-4 or sometimes 10 or more before getting one that even worked or didnt have a problem.

Also, Jefferson repair center does alot more brands then Asus. Alot of the alternative brands mentioned in this thread have contracts with this same repair center.

I have had my Asus mobo for coming up to a year april 2012 and at this point I would never buy another asus board again. I did get one of the first re-released B3 mobo's Asus P8P67 LE but you wouldn't know it based on the problems I have had and am still having. I have found the memory holders are bent ever so little but enough to have the computer just lock up. The memory sticks can rock in their sockets!
I have been through the rma process but I am doubting if it every got back to asus as when it came back the problem sheet said I had misaligned cpu pin.. That has to be the best load of BS I have every heard.
I purchased the board from an Australian company called Scorptec.com.au who are usually good but I have my doubts about rma's and where they sent my board.
Asus originally said it was my memory.. well as it turns out I guess they where sort of right.. it is there board that is causing the memory to play up.

Now that I have found the problem I am going to get my money back. Perhaps I will go back to Gigabyte.. boring but stable.

So it has now been 5 weeks since I began this process. I took just over two weeks for ASUS to check inventory and determine if Cross-shipping was an option. As I expected, there was no inventory available. I was asked to send in my mobo to the RMA facility in Jefferson, and I should get it back repaired in 10-14 days. Its been with them for 3 weeks. The entire time their RMA status website read, "You have reqeusted RMA no. for the machines below; however, they have not been received by us." And yes, in case you are wondering, they actually misspelled "requested" in the response above. By this time I had written five emails to the Escalation Email address; each took a number of days to get a response from. "Aaron" is the rep who responded to all of my emails. I suspect any email response from escalation is always from "Aaron" no matter who responds. I won't bore you with those details as they just respond with a email template that says in short, "I'm sorry, please call the product support number." In week three of my motherboard captivity an ASUS Level 2 tech took the time to get involved and found my motherboard in receiving which had not yet been processed by the service department. He was great, but in an effort to protect the innocent, I can't divulge his name here.

Ultimately, I spent at least 6 hours on the phone with ASUS over the last five weeks. Here is what I learned:

1) After dialing the product support number, Press the number 2 then 1 to get to the correct support channel.

2) If asked to ship your RMA, Ship FedEx and keep the tracking number handy because you will need it, (and most likely know it by heart by the time you finish this process.)

3) Level 2 Tech support folks actually sympathize with your pain and if you can get their attention they will help you; Moreover, they have the power to execute. Be patient and kind to them and it will get you a long way. To get a Level 2, request a level 2 with your level 1 operator. Yes, you will have to tell your story again and again.

4) Throughout my ordeal, I consistently asked to speak with a supervisor. I NEVER actually spoke to one despite repeatedly being promised that one would call me back. At one point I was told they were too busy with email to take my call. My point here is don't bother trying unless your a glutton for punishment; it's a waste of time.

5) ASUS does not provide a direct line to their "Customer Care Hotline;" you must be transferred to it from someone internally. This is a department that handles all the really difficult customer problems. I asked my Level 2 to update my notes and transfer me to the Customer Care department.

Once I got a customer Care care rep, (whos name is ironically, Aaron,) he patiently let me vent for 20 minutes. The rep checked inventory and told me they have a brand new one they would ship to me. WOW! If only they had magically found this motherboard a month ago! I should receive a tracking number today. I'll let you know if that was reliable by this weekend.

I actually asked if they were hiring a new manager of customer service, because I would be willing to take on that challenge. Clearly, nobody is looking at this end of their business. The folks seem competent and hard working. Each person I spoke with was very much aware of my concerns and sympathized with me (as well as all of their consumers.) However, they have no systems to prevent people from falling through cracks. Departmental communications are non existent. There is no accountability to the customer. They have hidden away service reps from the customer and placed that burden squarely on the shoulders of their Techs. The supervisors hide from service challenges. No wonder they can't get anything done. I could make modest changes and be a freaking hero in that place!

Last edited:
I've done a few RMAs with ASUS before. Once my 5970 started displaying blue flashing artifacts all over my screen. So I sent it to them with pictures of my problem happening and also the 14 things I had already tried to troubleshoot the issue (one of the GPUs was bad). Before I sent the card back, I put a small black dot with permanent marker on it to make sure I knew if they sent me back the same card. Well, a few weeks later, I got my card back (with the black dot) and with the same problems. Another few weeks after I flipped, I did get a new card as replacement.

Their process isn't perfect, but at least most tier2 staff seems to speak good english and work hard.

When Kyle posted the thread for the Q&A with Asus, my question was regarding the evaluation of their RMA partners. So far we haven't seen a response posted by [H] or Asus, but I'm still hoping!

just sent them an old newegg invoice for my motherboard that was out of warranty, is that a valid proof of purchase? i sent them a PDF and they haven't gotten back to me yet

Back