Anyone else eagerly awaiting Threadripper 3960x results?

There are no mysteries with Cascade Lake-X and IPC. It's Skylake outside of AVX512 workloads. The relatively low clock speeds Intel went with to keep the TDP down hurts the CPU in its stock form. Overclocked, its a different animal. It's a challenge to keep cool though. I won't kid you there. It puls tons of power and heats up the room. Unfortunately, I do not have a 3950X to test with. However, given the massive gains achieved when overclocking the 10980XE, it may very well compete when OC'ed. At stock speeds, they'll probably trade blows in some applications.
OK, got you thinking - did not figure in the OC overhead that Intel does have while AMD does not have much.

OK, got you thinking - did not figure in the OC overhead that Intel does have while AMD does not have much.
Then again AMD doesn't need it. The 9900k in it's default form already gets beaten here and it already boosts way higher in default form.

Basically and it's got to be the first time ever we are starting to see AMD pull ahead across the board minus AVX workloads.

Whatever they did to threadripper no doubt will make it in the next Zen refresh. AMD seems to be moving faster than your average tick-tock cadence. Parts in the same generation seem to be getting upgrades along the way.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
You can bet your butt that those cache improves

Then again AMD doesn't need it. The 9900k in it's default form already gets beaten here and it already boosts way higher in default form.

Basically and it's got to be the first time ever we are starting to see AMD pull ahead across the board minus AVX workloads.

Whatever they did to threadripper no doubt will make it in the next Zen refresh. AMD seems to be moving faster than your average tick-tock cadence. Parts in the same generation seem to be getting upgrades amount the way.
yeah, AMD is definitely equalizing, catching up, making up for the Bulldozer days of just pushing dirt and mud around in circles. Surpassing Intel at such a neck pace speed is getting rather fun to watch as well.

Reactions: kac77
like this
yeah, AMD is definitely equalizing, catching up, making up for the Bulldozer days of just pushing dirt and mud around in circles. Surpassing Intel at such a neck pace speed is getting rather fun to watch as well.
That it is. They are refreshing not by generation but by product line.

I would say keep an eye out for the mobile parts that still haven't released yet. Bet they will have improvements that don't exist for the desktop.

Reactions: noko
like this
The gaming results on Anandtech dont look that good, at least not what I expected ...
It didnt beat the 9900K once.

The gaming results on Anandtech dont look that good, at least not what I expected ...
Different games and waaay more DX11 vs. DX12. Also different coolers so they won't be directly comparable.

In the video they tested the different coolers and took the best result and their game selection is far more indictive of current games. I still cringe whenever anyone benches FFXV.

And as others have mentioned a 1080 is goofy to use. All CPU manufacturers have processors that can max out that card.

I'm guessing the read performance cache regression is magnified showing more discrepancy.

AMD still has to fix that but at least for cache writes it's higher which masks it.

Last edited:

They used a 1080 to test... which is goofy. However, when looking at the lower settings where GPU performance impact is minimized, and assuming that this roster of games is at least moderately CPU-bound, it does look like the higher-clocked parts will pull ahead.

In regards to gaming, it's a crap shoot to a large degree. The fact is, there are games where AMD still gets trounced by the 9900K and others where AMD holds its own or even surpasses Intel by a small amount. Even AMD knew this in its documentation to reviewers for the 3900X launch. AMD straight up told us: "they win some and lose some." The 3950X will boost higher, which will help close the gap but really that's not where the strength of that CPU really lies. I think its a nice bonus. The 3900X was already a viable gaming processor just like the rest of the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 7 lineup.

Since I have no 3950X right now, nor any Threadripper parts, I'm inclined to do some more testing on the 10980XE and explore gaming in more detail. The CPU has the ability to clock individual cores, so it may be possible to tune it to a point where it does really well in games. So far, it has when overclocked to 4.7GHz, but that's the edge of what mine could do. With individual core clocking, I might be able to improve its performance further.

It looks vastly improved from the earlier gen TRs - particularly the 2970WX and 2990WX. And this seems to destroy the Xeon W-3175X from a price/performance perspective. Going by the Anandtech review I don't think it's that much far behind the 9900K.

If you need lots of cores and still want good gaming performance, then this looks pretty good to me. If you don't want to compromise at all on gaming performance, however, then building separate systems might be better.

It looks vastly improved from the earlier gen TRs - particularly the 2970WX and 2990WX. And this seems to destroy the Xeon W-3175X from a price/performance perspective. Going by the Anandtech review I don't think it's that much far behind the 9900K.

If you need lots of cores and still want good gaming performance, then this looks pretty good to me. If you don't want to compromise at all on gaming performance, however, then building separate systems might be better.
Also it beats all Intel's HDET platform gaming performance - so it is better for games and production on virtually everything is my take.

Yes two or more rigs is the ticket!

like this
This launch is so incredibly paper I could burn all of california down and still have paper left to burn.

AMD I'm gonna give you 2 thumbs down this time.

As far as I'm concerned these numbers, chips, reviews, and claims are all make believe bullshit

This launch is so incredibly paper I could burn all of california down and still have paper left to burn.

AMD I'm gonna give you 2 thumbs down this time.

As far as I'm concerned these numbers, chips, reviews, and claims are all make believe bullshit

lol, you are so fickle.

Also it beats all Intel's HDET platform gaming performance - so it is better for games and production on virtually everything is my take.

Yes two or more rigs is the ticket!

I'd rather have a dedicated gaming box that's personal.

The hedt platform is a write off that generates income.

I guess a hobbyist could stuff 128gb+ ram, multiple gpus, multiple nvme drives, internal 10Gb network but the depreciation would suck.

lol, you are so fickle.

Nope not fickle. Just sort of bummed that AMD is the new Intel. I thought they had thier shit together. Apparently not. How long have we been waiting on 3950x and its vaporware.

Rumors of 3950x are now pushed into 2020? When are we gonna get 3960x? March, June? Maybe August? Point is no one knows. Even all these reviewers and pundits are clueless.

My biggest complaint is the promises of greatness but no mention of actual availability. I could care less when thier available. I just care that a company actually delivers more than PowerPoint slides. It's about integrity. Intel has Zero and AMD is starting to lose that integrity of their Word.

You say I'm fickle. Maybe actually I am. I defended AMD that they were gonna not be another Intel with paper but today has shown us this is totally cardboard.

Nope not fickle. Just sort of bummed that AMD is the new Intel. I thought they had thier shit together. Apparently not. How long have we been waiting on 3950x and its vaporware.

Rumors of 3950x are now pushed into 2020? When are we gonna get 3960x? March, June? Maybe August?

My biggest complaint is the promises of greatness but no mention of actual availability. I could care less when thier available. I just care that a company actually delivers more than PowerPoint slides. It's about integrity. Intel has Zero and AMD is starting to lose that integrity of their Word.

Wait you expected them to be able to buy a chip on day 1?

Intel has Zero and AMD is starting to lose that integrity of their Word.

They never had integrity -- just like they haven't had a 'GeForce Destroyer' since they bought ATi, yet they start making noise about it every year ;). At least their products make a proper amount of noise...

From a business perspective, it's hard to imagine that AMD puts any more stock into the consumer market than they absolutely have to. Epyc earns them far more per die and there is no end in sight for commercial demand -- even Intel can't keep up.

AMDs best bet is to get the SKU flowing at a trickle and milk the good press as long as they can.

Rumors of 3950x are now pushed into 2020? When are we gonna get 3960x? March, June? Maybe August? Point is no one knows. Even all these reviewers and pundits are clueless.

You say I'm fickle. Maybe actually I am. I defended AMD that they were gonna not be another Intel with paper but today has shown us this is totally cardboard.
? Microcenter has 3950x today. Did you mean 3960?

A 1080 TI for one. I don't plan on buying newer cards until next year when hbm navi cards become available. nvme x2?!?, I want raid0 speeds not cut up half assing.

"When I build a something, I either give it the whole complete Ass, Or no Ass at all!" -- me

Nvme 4.0 x2 is the same speed as current nvme 3.0 x4... Not sure you'd be giving much up in this case, especially if you put 2 of them in... Not sure if this is even anoption at this points but you x
A 1080 TI for one. I don't plan on buying newer cards until next year when hbm navi cards become available. nvme x2?!?, I want raid0 speeds not cut up half assing.

"When I build a something, I either give it the whole complete Ass, Or no Ass at all!" -- me
I was simply stating that nvme 4.0 with 2 lanes is theoretically the same as pcie 3.0 x4, meaning 3500MB/s read while only using 2 lanes. The fact that they're double the speed means you only need half the lanes to be the same speed. Not sure of costs and MB layouts if it's available, but it would make sense. A pair of nvme to.0 x2 d Ives could in theory get 7000MB/s... So 7GB/s, lol. You'd need 8 pcie 3.0 lanes to do the same.

Nvme 4.0 x2 is the same speed as current nvme 3.0 x4... Not sure you'd be giving much up in this case, especially if you put 2 of them in... Not sure if this is even anoption at this points but you x

I was simply stating that nvme 4.0 with 2 lanes is theoretically the same as pcie 3.0 x4, meaning 3500MB/s read while only using 2 lanes. The fact that they're double the speed means you only need half the lanes to be the same speed. Not sure of costs and MB layouts if it's available, but it would make sense. A pair of nvme to.0 x2 d Ives could in theory get 7000MB/s... So 7GB/s, lol. You'd need 8 pcie 3.0 lanes to do the same.

Their are no pcie 4.0 nvme that are worth anything with as of yet. the crummy phison chipset used is terrible. 2 2x nvme is also an odd configuration unlikely to be found. Really what I am looking for just needs more lanes, I still lament that their isn't a mid tier socket between am4 and strx40/sp3

What's the TDP look like?

TDP is supposed to be 165w. TDP is only really going to be accurate at stock clocks which you never actually see in practice. Keep in mind this is total system power running Cinebench R20's multi-threaded workload.

Power-Consumption-Stock-1.png

Overclocked, I'm not going to sugar coat it. The thing is an absolute pig. This is at 4.7GHz.

Power-Consumption-Overclocked-1.png

You can read the review in its entirety here.

What's the TDP look like?

From Cutress and Level1techs dude, it uses what's printed on the box 280w. Though from the looks of it, it can go up to 400w when you overclock with say an all core. But that's to be expected lol 4.3ghz + all core at 32 cores, insanely small power draw. To put that into perspective the 3175x 28core which is the actual direct competitor can draw 1000w overclocked, yea ya need a chiller for that. Level1techs dude said he managed 4.8ghz on the 3175x and it still gobbled over 600w while getting beat by the 3960x, lol.

like this
TDP is supposed to be 165w. TDP is only really going to be accurate at stock clocks which you never actually see in practice. Keep in mind this is total system power running Cinebench R20's multi-threaded workload.

View attachment 202617

Overclocked, I'm not going to sugar coat it. The thing is an absolute pig. This is at 4.7GHz.

View attachment 202618

You can read the review in its entirety here.
A) if this is your review I'm so glad that even without Kyle you're still reviewing. I appreciate it. Thank you. Edit: read the whole thing good job!

B) I don't doubt the performance is there but good-googly-moogly that power.... You'll definitely need liquid or I wouldn't feel good unless I put liquid on it.

A) if this is your review I'm so glad that even without Kyle you're still reviewing. I appreciate it. Thank you. Edit: read the whole thing good job!

B) I don't doubt the performance is there but good-googly-moogly that power.... You'll definitely need liquid or I wouldn't feel good unless I put liquid on it.

Yes, this is my review. Thank you. :) Paul Johnson, Brent Justice and the gang from HardOCP are all over there now.

And yes, I wouldn't even consider air cooling that chip.

Change the title thread to...

Anyone waiting on Threadripper 3 to actually release

Reactions: mikeo
like this
Back