Anyone else bummed out that BF4 is coming out already?

We knew EA was going to make this series the direct yearly rival of COD. No one here should be surprised. I'm all but certain they even stated that intent publicly more than once.

Agreed they'd stated BF was going seasonal. Main games with 3 or so expansions per year. That said EAs in rough shape. Some of the recent plans theyd put in place could get shaken up this year.

It's worth noting however there's nothing really "wrong" with that from their perspective. It could argued that with how fast technology is moving they have the agility to produce major graphical improvements every year. Its now just a question of whether consumers will get sequel fatigue. Theoretically based on sports franchises the answer is no. Consumers are willing to purchase the same product over and over for the minor roster changes and graphical bumps. I'm a little bummed that were heading in the opposite direction of BF2142. I want more robot stuff and larger scale battles.

Last edited:
if they want to keep releasing every 2 years they need to change it up ALOT, they cant keep doing modern warfare.

BF3 was fine as modern because its been along time since BF2, but BF4 should of either been 1944 or 2144.

for BF5 if they wanted a return to modern thats fine because it would of been atleast 4 years since BF3.

if they start this cycle now tho i wont be too upset with BF4 being modern aslong as it truely brings some unique MP features and gameplay that was missing from BF3 like commander, battle recorder among other things.

BF5 better be 1944 and if they want to make a 2144 it could be an expansion.

but i feel WWII needs to be a major release or it will end up being crappy

where i feel 2142 lends it self to be more suited as a major major DLC/expansion because it never had a focus on naval units so if those are missing no one would notice. im not saying it wouldnt be cool to have 2142 style naval units but it just never had them to begin with so it puts less pressure on the dev team if they dont get included.

basically what im trying to say after a year of BF4 give us a 2144 expansion. with some new units we didnt see in 2142 and some new weapons and gadgets.

BUT PLS make BF5 - BF1944 a true successor to BF1942 with all the bells and whistles from BF2 like commander, (how cool would it be to sit there as a commander ordering your carrier and battleship fleet around midway) battle recorder, the destruction and new maps along with old favs like El Alamein, market garden ect. Omaha Beach with destruction taking chunks out of bunkers ect.

The Planes.. omg the planes actually felt good in the series back in 1942 they just had the right scale they felt good and havnt felt the same since, BF2 jets were close but not quite as good as 1942 planes as far as handling and performance goes because warplanes in WWII could actually stall so you had to actually some what fly properly or stall out and get shot.

compared to this in BF2 where you couldnt stall out heh. (couple bf2 videos i made a long time ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymHtwvSdj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To0Gm2lmFbY

Just thinking about a proper sequel to BF1942 gets me excited. where BF4 leaves me underwhelmed but skeptically hopeful.

if they want to keep releasing every 2 years they need to change it up ALOT, they cant keep doing modern warfare.

BF3 was fine as modern because its been along time since BF2, but BF4 should of either been 1944 or 2144.

for BF5 if they wanted a return to modern thats fine because it would of been atleast 4 years since BF3.

if they start this cycle now tho i wont be too upset with BF4 being modern aslong as it truely brings some unique MP features and gameplay that was missing from BF3 like commander, battle recorder among other things.

BF5 better be 1944 and if they want to make a 2144 it could be an expansion.

but i feel WWII needs to be a major release or it will end up being crappy

where i feel 2142 lends it self to be more suited as a major major DLC/expansion because it never had a focus on naval units so if those are missing no one would notice. im not saying it wouldnt be cool to have 2142 style naval units but it just never had them to begin with so it puts less pressure on the dev team if they dont get included.

basically what im trying to say after a year of BF4 give us a 2144 expansion. with some new units we didnt see in 2142 and some new weapons and gadgets.

BUT PLS make BF5 - BF1944 a true successor to BF1942 with all the bells and whistles from BF2 like commander, (how cool would it be to sit there as a commander ordering your carrier and battleship fleet around midway) battle recorder, the destruction and new maps along with old favs like El Alamein, market garden ect. Omaha Beach with destruction taking chunks out of bunkers ect.

The Planes.. omg the planes actually felt good in the series back in 1942 they just had the right scale they felt good and havnt felt the same since, BF2 jets were close but not quite as good as 1942 planes as far as handling and performance goes because warplanes in WWII could actually stall so you had to actually some what fly properly or stall out and get shot.

compared to this in BF2 where you couldnt stall out heh. (couple bf2 videos i made a long time ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ymHtwvSdj4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=To0Gm2lmFbY

Just thinking about a proper sequel to BF1942 gets me excited. where BF4 leaves me underwhelmed but skeptically hopeful.

Whats the deal with BF1943? since I own a PC I just don't get to play this f'ing game?

There was other Battlefields between that (ignoring expansion packs)!

2002 - Battlefield 1942
2004 - Battlefield Vietnam (2 years)
2005 - Battlefield 2 (1 Year)
2006 - Battlefield 2142 (1 year)
2008 - Battlefield: Bad Company (2 years)
2009 - Battlefield 1943 (1 year)
2010 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (1 year)
2011 - Battlefield 3 (1 year)
2013 - Battlefield 4 (2 years)

So between 3 and 4 is one of the longer gaps. :D

bad company never came out on pc:rolleyes:

Problem is your list is TOTALLY AMBIGUOUS because of jumping platforms. BF2 players waited 5 years for Badcompany 2 to be a worthy succesor (2142 was a distraction we all played then went back to BF2)

So you are picking and choosing what does and doesn't count? (though to be fair I didn't include Battlefield heroes and play4free etc...) Then just don't count BF4 and wait until BF5 and then you can be happy there has been "enough time". :p

So you are picking and choosing what does and doesn't count? (though to be fair I didn't include Battlefield heroes and play4free etc...) Then just don't count BF4 and wait until BF5 and then you can be happy there has been "enough time". :p

No, I'm pointing out the as this is the "PC Gaming & Hardware" forum. The console games don't count as successors to PC games.

DONT MAKE ME SHINE MY BF3 FLASHLIGHT IN YOUR FACE!!

(ya, i played BFHeros, i think that was an EA joke :p )

Stop the bitching you bunch of women.

If you don't like the direction the game is going, don't buy it. All i see anymore is bitching and crying. The game has still very little details yet you all are menstruating all over this game. Stop gaming, move to console, or just shut up.

Probably won't.
Played beta BF3 and was "meh, tunnel fights?" Then a couple days before they shut it down they released big maps, and flashlights still blinded you in daylight

*sigh*

....was a decent franchise...

I am excited for BF4, it will have been two years since the last one. I do not consider MoH to be part of the series. Sure they could have done more with BF3 but I am excited to move onto BF4. I wouldn't mind it if they had a Bad Company 3 or something but I am happy to see BF4. I am sick of the CoD rehashs.

I'm good with it, so long as it is an improvement. Really every couple of years for a new game is nice. Update to use the newest tech, change balance and gampleplay, try new things, etc.

It is all in how it is executed. What I'd like to see is a return to more of the gameplay like in BC2. BF3 isn't bad, but all in all I haven't found it nearly as fun as I found BC2. A bunch of little things in the setup add up to make it a lesser experience, gameplay wise, than BC2.

So I'm hopeful with BF4, they tweak things and make it more fun. If they don't, well it's not like I have to buy it if I don't want to :).

Back