Anyone else able to secure an iPhone 8 tonight?

bizzmeister

2[H]4U
After 20+ minutes of the site constantly crashing (t-mobile), i secured an iphone 8 for my wife.

Anyone else able to get one?

Im getting the X for myself next month.

Friend of mine ordered an 8+ from AT&T, I have no idea why but he's got money to blow and it's almost always on smartphones constantly. Bought an HTC U11 the moment it was available, kept it a month, then grabbed some Alcatel device (that's already dead for whatever reason), then bought a Galaxy S8+, then an Asus Zenfone 3, then a Huawei Mate 9, and now the iPhone 8+ 256GB model just a short time ago with the pre-order. Guy just can't make up his damned mind and constantly shuffles through devices, literally can't keep anything for more than a month before finding something else to spend his money on.

I shouldn't complain I suppose, he did send me an LG V20 a few months back because I made a joke about him giving it to me so, who knows, maybe he'll toss something else my way soon. ;)

waiting for the X myself;

but this little guy I managed to order for store pickup

42-alu-space-sport-black-1up
Spacegrey-Alu-black sport band with mobile ... replacing my Watch 1

Friend of mine ordered an 8+ from AT&T, I have no idea why but he's got money to blow and it's almost always on smartphones constantly. Bought an HTC U11 the moment it was available, kept it a month, then grabbed some Alcatel device (that's already dead for whatever reason), then bought a Galaxy S8+, then an Asus Zenfone 3, then a Huawei Mate 9, and now the iPhone 8+ 256GB model just a short time ago with the pre-order. Guy just can't make up his damned mind and constantly shuffles through devices, literally can't keep anything for more than a month before finding something else to spend his money on.

I shouldn't complain I suppose, he did send me an LG V20 a few months back because I made a joke about him giving it to me so, who knows, maybe he'll toss something else my way soon. ;)

LOL. I know people like that too. Im not an apple fan myself, i just love their phones and tablets because i do believe they make the highest quality/best ones out there on the market. They all hold their value pretty damn well too.

waiting for the X myself;

but this little guy I managed to order for store pickup

42-alu-space-sport-black-1up
Spacegrey-Alu-black sport band with mobile ... replacing my Watch 1

Nice, i have a series 2 myself that i love. I think ill be getting an LTE one myself to not worry about the phone being around at times.

I didn't feel like waking up at 3AM to pre-order. Who knows, maybe I'll get to grab one next Friday. I work from home so I'll just run down to the store right in the morning. Definitely plan on pre-ordering the X next month though for myself and girlfriend/family members.

I didn't feel like waking up at 3AM to pre-order. Who knows, maybe I'll get to grab one next Friday. I work from home so I'll just run down to the store right in the morning. Definitely plan on pre-ordering the X next month though for myself and girlfriend/family members.

When I ended the check out process, everything said expected ship 9/21-9/22. Earlier this morning I got a text saying delivery date is unknown right now.

Wtf? The T-Mobile app says scheduled on time and the text said other wise. Guess we'll see.

When I ended the check out process, everything said expected ship 9/21-9/22. Earlier this morning I got a text saying delivery date is unknown right now.

Wtf? The T-Mobile app says scheduled on time and the text said other wise. Guess we'll see.

I've got T-Mobile too, but I'm hopeful that there'll be some units available next Friday at the store, as everyone will be saving their upgrades for the X, whereas I simply don't care and I plop down cash. The only issue in recent memory was the 7 last year, where the new color was sold out everywhere (the black), otherwise the rest of the colors were in plentiful stock.

I generally speaking don't buy new phones anymore. Maybe I'll get an iPhone X in 2 years.

I invested and got a 128GB iPhone 6 when it came out and I've been happy since. Space was always my issue. So now I'm 3 generations behind and not too concerned yet. Plus the headphone jack is kind of important to me, but not a deal breaker.

I invested and got a 128GB iPhone 6 when it came out and I've been happy since. Space was always my issue. So now I'm 3 generations behind and not too concerned yet. Plus the headphone jack is kind of important to me, but not a deal breaker.

I picked up a used iPhone 6s Plus 128GB around December last year for $550 and I've been super happy with it. I enjoy tech as much as anyone else on the Hardforum, and if I had more money than sense I would pickup an iPhone 10 easily.
But it's not necessary and I highly doubt that any feature it has would be so improved that it would change the way I currently do things with the phone. The most notable part about it really is that it has a bigger screen and a smaller footprint than my current phone. The additional speed and other features would probably fade pretty quick into the background as I don't think any of those improvements will be noticable in day to day usage.

Honestly, I thought I would try to do more things with the processing power in the 6S+, but I don't really game on it (or on anything much anymore) so I don't do anything that needs a crazy amount of power. Mostly just browsing, reading, using various apps, listening to music, watching streamed content (YouTube, Netflix, etc), and navigation. Things that won't really benefit much from having a processor that's twice as fast as my current phone, or however much faster it is. I think I, like you, will be content to stay on this device for a while. If I get some ridiculous cash flow, that could change, but I don't anticipate that happening for the time being.

I have 2 iPhone 8 Plus’s preordered through AT&T, one for me and one for the wife. We’re both using original iphone 6’s at the moment, so the 8’s should be a nice upgrade.

I have 2 iPhone 8 Plus’s preordered through AT&T, one for me and one for the wife. We’re both using original iphone 6’s at the moment, so the 8’s should be a nice upgrade.

Did the same for my wife and I, although she prefers the smaller iPhone 8, I opted for the plus. Both using the IP6, and looking forward to the upgrade.

Did the same for my wife and I, although she prefers the smaller iPhone 8, I opted for the plus. Both using the IP6, and looking forward to the upgrade.
Yeah my wife originally wanted the iPhone 8 but it doesn't do the portrait mode (no telephoto camera), so she went with the 8 Plus.

My wife was able to get an 8 ordered first thing Friday morning through Verizon. It's supposed to be in next week. She had a 6 and was ready for a new phone.

My phone is through work, it will probably be a bit longer before we hit our upgrade cycle - it's usually 2-3 years, and we are just shy of 2 years now.

I'm getting an 8 Plus through work, but it'll be late October before they're delivered. No cost to me, so I can wait. :)

Both of you guys are in for a MASSSSIVE upgrade. You are going to love it.

Whooop Whoooopppp!!! Phone shipped and its says next day air! Should be getting it tomorrow or the next for sure! Wife's gonna be really happy, good little surprise. Going to be a massive upgrade over her 6S.

TTch7VF.jpg

Anyone else get their updated status??

My wife's 8 Plus will be delivered by the 22nd, my 8 Plus is the 29th-6th.

Edit: Both iPhone 8 Pluses will be delivered the 22nd!

Last edited:
My local T Mobile store has full stock, planning on walking in later today and grabbing an 8 Plus, though not sure what color I want yet. I'm more looking forward to the X next month though, but this'll tide me over.

My local T Mobile store has full stock, planning on walking in later today and grabbing an 8 Plus, though not sure what color I want yet. I'm more looking forward to the X next month though, but this'll tide me over.

Nice

Picked up my watch 3 in the Apple Store in Ginza, Tokyo. The experience these days in the stores is ... different.

But the watch is great looking. Black with a red-dotted Digital Crown. Beautiful. My first action was a restore from my 1st watch and getting a "Mobile SUICA" installed. So now I can use my wrist for pay dialy commute, pickup food in the convenient stores and drinks from around 100million vending machines not dealing with little coins anymore. Cool, geeky, nerdy, but thats the way I like it .

Picked up my watch 3 in the Apple Store in Ginza, Tokyo. The experience these days in the stores is ... different.

But the watch is great looking. Black with a red-dotted Digital Crown. Beautiful. My first action was a restore from my 1st watch and getting a "Mobile SUICA" installed. So now I can use my wrist for pay dialy commute, pickup food in the convenient stores and drinks from around 100million vending machines not dealing with little coins anymore. Cool, geeky, nerdy, but thats the way I like it .

Nice. What sort of work do you do in Japan? Curious as I'm trying to figure out if expatriating over there is viable without having to teach English.

Nice. What sort of work do you do in Japan? Curious as I'm trying to figure out if expatriating over there is viable without having to teach English.
While offtopic the job pays for my Apple stuff, so close to topic :whistle:
I'm started in my current company as IT/SAP guy, got a project assignment to Japan, married my wife over there, returned for short time to Europe to eventually return to Japan; now localized contract since 2006. Still same area in IT, hell do I love SAP. One of my bigger part of the job is the cultural bridging ; that remain a challenge for both HQ and region. Even if they speak all English, often enough they still don't understand each other.
Then of course coordination of troubleshooting and new demand and all those boaring service level reviews. To answer your question: it's easier if your company has a branch in Japan and you get first an assignment as expat. Much easier and safer if you figure out: not for me. Myself will stay here into retirement; if nothing happen against it.
And I still keep buying Apple stuff in Omotesando, Shibuya and Ginza. Waiting for the X :) (puhh, back on topic)

This iPhone 8 Plus is amazingly fast compared to the iPhone 6 Plus I’ve been using. The glass back is actually quite nice, not as slippery as the aluminum back of the 6 Plus. I like it!

Thanks for the info. I have the same phone.

Used the iPhone 8 I got for my wife last night, blazing fast.

This augmented reality stuff is insanely good on these iPhone 8’s. Like scary good.

Got it, about to take it back and return it. If I can't get this working in the next couple of hours, I'm finally making the switch to Android. Hardware seems great, but somehow Apple totally fucked up not only their entire ecosystem on this one (iCloud, etc) but the actual OS too.

Got it, about to take it back and return it. If I can't get this working in the next couple of hours, I'm finally making the switch to Android. Hardware seems great, but somehow Apple totally fucked up not only their entire ecosystem on this one (iCloud, etc) but the actual OS too.
Not sure what trouble you’re having but everything seems to have updated and migrated fine from my iPhone 6 Plus to iPhone 8 Plus. So did my wife’s.

Everything was trouble. There was literally not a single step of the migration process that went right, from activating the phone to transferring data. I still have to reset all the email passwords, the corporate email isn't working (and none of the airwatch settings made it), and it literally took THREE days to get it activated. Plus I get to do the wonderful "reset your apple watch and pray you get it working right again" process next. Also took a full day of fiddling to get it to see an iCloud backup and restore it. Hell, I'm on my 8th iCloud password as we kept having to do the forget/reset as that was the only way to get it to login at any point (my wife is going nuts from that).

I've had iPhones since the 3G, every two years like clockwork till now. This was miserable, and my wife's replacement 7 (for a 6 that was stolen) was almost as bad 3 months ago. I chalked that one up to just an aberration, but now we're at 2 in a row... If I have a third experience this rough, I'll make the switch to Android (have a work S7, and a personal Tab 2 + Nexus 2013). All of those have gone perfectly, and 'droid has come a LONG ways. Hell, the S7 still has a better screen than the 8 does, and I've had that phone for over a year!

Apple will make the wheels fall off your 6 plus. Nothing like forcing you to upgrade by fucking your phone off with an iOS "upgrade".

Jokes on Apple, still on 9.3.3 :D

Although... Brb gonna start a new thread...

my 8+ should be here tomorrow, personally i think the 8 is a better option over the X

if the X had a finger print reader somewhere... back or front under glass then id have waited but the facial thing is just silly

running a 7+ now but its out of contract so ill actually make about 300$ upgrading and renewing my contract, otherwise i probably wouldn't have bothered, granted wireless charging is a nice long overdue feature

I picked up an 8+ two days ago in store to replace my 6+. The difference is amazing. If you’re two generations or more behind the upgrade will be worth it.

I just upgraded to a 7+ , will probably pay this phone upgrade off, and sell once the X is readily available. I don't know how big of a step up the 8 is from the 7?

camera is certainly better on the 8, and overall speed is better. little better battery life than my 7 as well, other than that just minor changes. the wireless charging is finally nice to have

Ugh. Last straw for me.

Can't copy and paste addresses from calendar items to google maps. Requested a return from Apple, going to see if I can flash my 6 back to IOS 10.

Ugh. Last straw for me.

Can't copy and paste addresses from calendar items to google maps. Requested a return from Apple, going to see if I can flash my 6 back to IOS 10.
What? You most certainly can. You can tap an address and it'll open in Maps, you can long press the address and you'll get a menu of options (get directions, open in Maps, add to contacts, copy address). Copy address, paste into google maps. Hell, if you 3d touch the address, it'll pop up a map instantly. It works perfectly.

Back