Anyone disappointed with Xbox 360?

some of you guys are funny. Why burn all that cash for an xbox with better graphics??? I only bought an xbox because I could mod it and run xbmc on it and stream movies and stuff from my home server to it (as well as play the few games worth playing on it ninja gaiden, halo 2, soul calibur 2, madden NFL and a few other titles). lol right when I got it I opened that bad boy and started soldering b4 I even plugged it in.
The xbox360 is basically gonna be a microsft friendly modded xbox with better graphics and anything microsoft friendly sucks for the consumer. I personally am gonna probably wait a year or two till the price drops and some cool mods are available to unleash its potential. another thing dissapointing is the lack of 2 more usb ports forcing you to buy at least 2 $50 wireless controllers for multiplayer games. when it would have cost m$ like a buck extra per xbox to include them. Its awesome how you see lots people pre ordering these things even though they could spend $25 bucks on a mod chip and tripple the value of thier current system. the games at launch aren't even worth it.

cowbell said:
some of you guys are funny. Why burn all that cash for an xbox with better graphics??? I only bought an xbox because I could mod it and run xbmc on it and stream movies and stuff from my home server to it (as well as play the few games worth playing on it ninja gaiden, halo 2, soul calibur 2, madden NFL and a few other titles). lol right when I got it I opened that bad boy and started soldering b4 I even plugged it in.
The xbox360 is basically gonna be a microsft friendly modded xbox with better graphics and anything microsoft friendly sucks for the consumer. I personally am gonna probably wait a year or two till the price drops and some cool mods are available to unleash its potential. another thing dissapointing is the lack of 2 more usb ports forcing you to buy at least 2 $50 wireless controllers for multiplayer games. when it would have cost m$ like a buck extra per xbox to include them. Its awesome how you see lots people pre ordering these things even though they could spend $25 bucks on a mod chip and tripple the value of thier current system. the games at launch aren't even worth it.

Half of the crap you said flew by me because it made zero sense and I have this 'thing' for idiots.

But, IMO, having a game like Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64 ( Kameo ) AND the sequal to the biggest FPS ( Perfect Dark ) at launch pretty much seals the deal.

If you guys don't want to be civil, I can certainly lock the thread.

Please, by all means discuss and debate, I love reading all the great points, but do it respectfully. No name calling or insults.

cowbell said:
another thing dissapointing is the lack of 2 more usb ports forcing you to buy at least 2 $50 wireless controllers for multiplayer games. when it would have cost m$ like a buck extra per xbox to include them. Its awesome how you see lots people pre ordering these things even though they could spend $25 bucks on a mod chip and tripple the value of thier current system. the games at launch aren't even worth it.

Huh? The 360 has 2 USB 2.0 ports in the front and 1 in the back. If you're buying the premium system that comes with the wireless controller, what's the problem?

I'm excited for it. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up one when it launches... It'll look awesome on my 42" HD-Plasma. :D

If you don't like the game, don't buy it, simple as that. Will I mod it? Probably not, that sorta defeats my purpose of wanting a plug-n-play minimum hassle game machine. Probably the single biggest draw for me, is the fact that all games will be in 720p HD (i.e. WS) format. The more I read about Xbox Arcade, it actually sounds kinda interesting... Anyway I liked what I saw.

cheers,

yass

Yassarian said:
I'm excited for it. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up one when it launches... It'll look awesome on my 42" HD-Plasma. :D

If you don't like the game, don't buy it, simple as that. Will I mod it? Probably not, that sorta defeats my purpose of wanting a plug-n-play minimum hassle game machine. Probably the single biggest draw for me, is the fact that all games will be in 720p HD (i.e. WS) format. The more I read about Xbox Arcade, it actually sounds kinda interesting... Anyway I liked what I saw.

cheers,

yass
Exactly how i feel. A month ago i wouldn't want to even hear about 360, but now when it's getting closer and closer and more games getting announced, pictures and vidos and kiosks (which i have yet to visit), i guess im getting on a hype-wagon here but some of the games are really look incradible

Personally I haven't seen anything that would make me go out and grab one before I see what sony and nintendo have to offer first. The features that interest me are already going to be in the revolution and ps3, so I'd kinda rather wait and see how it all turns out before I shell out 400 bucks.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
Depends...Computers will always be #1 with hardware, but they usual fall in second with games. I know there are a lot of good PC games out now, but theres nothing that screams AMAZING. Lets face it, Call of Duty 2, Quake 4, F.E.A.R. and Serious Sam 2 all fall short in the gameplay area.

I disagree, I thought FEAR brought better gameplay than any other FPS in the past few years. Its gameplay is stylized and unique compared to other FPS we have seen lately, actually bringing a suspense element into the mix. One may argue that it was all indoors but judging by the summaries of the game you can't really expect much more out of a game like that. Monolith did a good job at mixing environments up too in intervals such as urban decay and the pre-vault interval (9 was it?). I didn't get a chance to play quake 4 yet, but with CoD2 it's nice to see that people are actually using a different front of the war to make a ww2 game now, and plus the action looks pretty damn intense.

One of the most anticipated games for the 360 (and PC) was also delayed until next year (Oblivion). That would be cool if Bethesda were to try to utilize the triple core design of the 360 for its newer launch date, but I already have it reserved for PC so I wouldn't consider buying a 360 for it.

The type of games that I really like on PC are RTS-ish kinda games (warcraft/starcraft AOE)... nothing like that exists on the console I guess -- probably cuz of the controller issue. However I'm truly hoping that xbox360 will have keyboard/mouse accesories...

There was this vicious rumor that MSFT was trying to get some of Blizzard's titles... If M$ were smart they'd freaking get a keyboard and mouse accessory up RIGHT AWAY. Imagine how many more xboxes they will sell if a game like WoW become playable on it... lol The even more vicious (and almost certainly fake) rumor is that Diablo 3 is in the works, and it might very well be a console-only MMO type of game... While I wasn't that big of fan of D2 (even though I played through Hell difficulty... lol) If that ever happens... :eek: Imagine playing diablo 3, on a 42" wide-screen panel, in HD... /droll

cheers,

scheiss

Disappointed? Have you thought about the functionality of the machine beyond just playing store-bought games?

Here is a little exercise. Look at the original Tomb Raider for PS1. Notice the blocky hair and the pointy boobs that could cut glass.
Now, look at one of the last games in the series released on PS1. Notice the difference? That's what happens with all of the consoles. GT3 vs. GT4? Noticeable difference.

There are many games that are better on console than PC. I'm glad MS is releasing a 360 controller for PC, though. There are many games better on PC. For example, I like RTS games - good on PC, bad on console (IMO).

The point is you can have both. If you can't afford both, there is no wrong choice, just preference.

image.php

this is xbox vs 360, certainly better

I don't think I'm disapointed but then my expectations are next to none, I might buy the xbox360, but only if I first get a hdtv and some good games come out for it.

I find it amusing that people always try to compare apples to oranges, and set certain guidelines when trying to compare things. "If you buy an xbox 360 and buy a $3000 dollar TV it will cost and be almost be as good as a PC." Have you people lost your mind? You act as though you HAVE to have a 3k tv to play a x360... but news flash... YOU DONT!. Infact I think I can play it on the TV that cost me 150 bucks thats 27" that I've had for a year already. I also bet I will enjoy my x360 just as much too!!. Just to throw this out there, but most of the people posting on this forum are doing it threw a PC, and probably a PC they are proud of in some way or another. You PC people have to realise that there are.... well... BILLIONS of people out there that CANT afford a 2k PC... let a lone a 2k bucket on wheels to get around. There are people that are trying to find a way to live on min wage working 2-3 jobs. So for you that are lucky enough to be still living with parents, or have the help from your parents in some form or fashion and arnt have to focus on paying "bills"... rent/electric/water/gas/food/insurrance/car note/cell phone bill/cable/dsl/health care.... list goes on? An x360 sounds pretty damn good for the price and what you can play on. I can waste 300-400 bucks + games and be enjoying the gaming world with out spending 1-2k on a new PC.

Lucky for me my dad just bought a brand new phillips flat screen and bought hdtv :D x360 here I COME!~

Not a flame, just for the thread's info:
The Xbox 360 does support generic USB keyboards, however they will only be available to be used for text entry (i.e. chat) - only the gamepad will be supported and usable for games. Microsoft made that decision from its conception, and is sticking with it. If you'd like to fill in a petition for the opposite, google it, or search here from a couple weeks back.

I don't really want one all that bad. It looks pretty cool, but for me, I play all my serious games on the PC, and when I want to play happy-silly platform games, I play on a console. The console that makes the most sense for wack-plat games is always going to be Nintendo. A combination of a PC and a Nintendo console pretty much covers the most ground. (though fighting games, if you're into them, are better on Sony/MS) The reason I might pick up a 360 anyway, is that I still have some old XBox games that I kept when I sold mine. I kinda want to play some of them again. Being able to pick up an actual 360 game will just be a bonus. I play a lot of FPSes and RPGs, and the best ones are usually PC titles. (with the exception of console-style RPGs which I also like, but once again, Nintendo delivers here)

I don't know, I kinda want each console for a different reason, but I don't want any of them enough to ignore my PC. I'll probably end up with a Revolution, and MAYBE a 360, but that's still undecided. I'm definitely not in a hurry to rush out and stand in line for one. I'll wait until all the dust settles, see what's available, and pick up whatever looks cool. I'm usually an early adopter, but this round of consoles really isn't exciting me that much. (plus I just dumped a bunch of cash into my PC, which is keeping me quite busy and happy for now)

ShuttleLuv said:
Granted, I know it hasn't been released yet, but so far I find myself highly disappointed. It's probably the major advancements that's come in computers lately. Back when the first Xbox
launched, 99% of the games on the market for computers ran on the two year old Quake 3 engine. Xbox was a refreshing thing to test out. But nowadays, we have lots of DX9 capable cards, ranging from Radeon X800's to SLI GTX's. This is all at high resolution. What is the draw of Xbox 360? I ask myself that alot. On a good TV, sure it'll look good and all...and it's certainly a big step up in the console world, just not impressive imho. This is not a flame, simply an opinion. On top of this, not one console title that seems to be a must have. A few good ones that are acceptable, but no big "ace". I dunno....your thoughts? :eek:

I do have a whacked out GTX though....so that's probably why. :)

The cartoonish launch game Kameo: Elements of Power has more shader effects than all of the PC games released in the last year combined, simply because they can program for a very high standard. That's enough for me :)

J3RK - you pretty much fall right in line with my choices and opinions. lol

MasterShredder said:
I've been a pc gamer since the days of Commander Keen, Duke Nukem, and anything else that ran on a 286. I'm probably going to end up going with a console and sticking with it for many reasons:

1) I have a 3 month old baby. I can't afford to buy a $500 video card every 6 months when a new one comes out. Hell, I can't afford to buy a new pc at all. Those days were great when I could dump tons of money on hardware and always be up to date, but looking back, god I wasted a lot of money on stupid ass hardware coughvoodoo5cough. Shit, my friend blew $500 on a 16MB RAM chip when they first came out.

2) When someone makes a game for an xbox360, they make it for an xbox360 and not 3 million computer configurations, making gaming more fun when trying to play with friends. Have any of you ever been to a LAN party with more than 5 people? It's absolute hell. You get there at 7pm, wait until at least 9:30 for everyone to talk to each other, figure out what idiot has out of date drivers, make sure everyone's running the latest patched version of the game, and then when everyone's squared away, we've only played for an hour and it's time to go home. I played some console LAN parties and we started the game by pressing the power button.

3) I have an HDTV, granted, it's not huge or one of the best, but i'll still be able to run a 360 in at least 720p and have it look pretty nice. I also have a Media Center 2005 pc upstairs in my office, so the wife will be very happy that the extender is integrated right into the OS, and she'll be able to schedule shows right on the tv. WAF (wife acceptance factor) is definately a plus.

So basically, anyone that can afford to buy new pc hardware all the time and play their games at 093420349234 x 3429083423 resolution with 300x AA and 600x AF, enjoy it while you can. My friend just dropped $3k on a new pc and is running 2 7800's in SLI with a top of the line Athlon64 and 2 gigs of ram, and ya know what? He still gets hiccups and slowdown and framerate drops. To me, that's more unacceptable than anything else.

QFT

Its nice to know that when I get my Xbox 360 I won't have to worry about spending another $500 in six months to upgrade the video card. And for those who think that HDTVs are $1000 or more that just isn't true. I got my toshiba for $500 and there are ones even cheaper than mine.

I'll most likely pick one up, then ditch it when the ps3 comes out.

in terms of media format(important to me anyway):
HD-dvd is going to be the failed beta format, where blu-ray will be the vhs imo..

I love it that everybody just expects the PS3 to straight up own the 360. I love to wait and see the pre-hype garbage from all the companies get thrown out the window when everything comes to equal grounds, ie: launch. I expect this to happen with the 360 as well, because, come on. It's a console launch. I was so suckered by the hype surrounding PS2 that it taught me a valuable lesson of 'waiting to see'

I plan to own all three systems, so I'm not flame-baiting, please don't misinterpret. It's just that it always seems that the topic of 'x beats y' comes into the discussion in some way shape or form, before anybody even touches any of the things in question. Not counting those of you who've played at events and the kiosks of course. But NOBODY has played a PS3 yet, since technically it's not really even built yet...right?

anywho, if the 360 only has 3 usb ports, won't you be able to plug in a hub? Didn't I read that somewhere? That it will support usb hubs, because of all the media connectivity that they are touting it having?

The 360 is supposed to be going with dual layer regular dvd support, not HD anything, so that sort of makes the blu-ray vs HD dvd issue, a non issue, I guess.

I'll be waiting for an ample library of titles, not to mention second generation hardware on the High Def home movie front before the bastards get my money!

Not tjat I can say I won't buy a PS3 with it's Blu-ray support at launch, but if the price is anywhere near the speculative area, I will be waiting... a while. $400 is definitely the high edge of my limit for a game console purchase. If it weren't for the Halo1/2 upgrade secret that bungie is keeping, I honestly wouldn't even be considering it, since the launch titles aren't really tickling my fancy much. DOA4 looks fun, thats about as much excitement as I can muster.

This will be the first console launch since the NES where I will taking the role of 'early adopting sucker' so, I'm pretty excited, but in all honesty the PS3's future supposed lineup contains more titles I will truly enjoy. As long as Sony is Squares bitch, I will be theirs.

Yours truly,

The consumer whore.

DougLite said:
A quick search on Froogle shows no HDTVs below $1000. A 17" LCD is routinely below $300. With that $700 difference + $300 for an Xbox360 = $1000, with which you can put together a pretty solid gaming PC - that will get you a Venice, DVD Burner, X800/6800+, 1GB of RAM, etc.

You can play Xbox360 on a 480i SDTV, it will just look like crap :)

I've got a 27" HDTV that will do all HD resolutions upto and including 1080i in my bedroom.. total cost; $330 new from Best Buy. It's not an LCD but it does the job quite well. That's about the cost of a decent monitor, if you wanna get a larger LCD you can get them in retail stores pretty darn cheap now a days.

Why people still compare consoles to PC's is beyond me. All the guesswork is taken away with a console, it's strictly for gaming. Everything you buy for it will work with it guaranteed and you will have minimal hassle setting any of it up.

Most people I know have already upgraded to a TV that supports HD resolutions. I'd say people on top of this new generation of consoles already know what to expect and will buy accordingly. Just my $.02 though.

I have a question for you- What exactly were you soldering? XBMC DOESN'T require any soldering under the hood. It is a soft mod.

Thank you, come again!

A quick search on Froogle shows no HDTVs below $1000. A 17" LCD is routinely below $300. With that $700 difference + $300 for an Xbox360 = $1000, with which you can put together a pretty solid gaming PC - that will get you a Venice, DVD Burner, X800/6800+, 1GB of RAM, etc.

You can play Xbox360 on a 480i SDTV, it will just look like crap

If you don't have the money for a low to mid range HDTV, then you probably shouldn't be setting yourself back by buying an Xbox 360 in the first place.

And, yes you can play in 480i, or you can hook it up to the PC monitor that you are using to post in these forums (there is a VGA cable this time around) and run in letterboxed 720p mode. Maybe even 1080i if you have a high enough end PC monitor.

Json23 said:
I have a question for you- What exactly were you soldering? XBMC DOESN'T require any soldering under the hood. It is a soft mod you moron.

Thank you, come again!

im guessing he was using it for saving games he rents at blockbuster on his harddrive

im guessing he was using it for saving games he rents at blockbuster on his harddrive

Maybe, but all he has to do it run the PC and the Xbox through a router, and then he can simply grab it off of the Xbox HDD over the network. It still wouldn't require him to start souldering under the hood of the xbox though.

Oops! I read it wrong. I thought you meant saving game data (like save game files), I didn't think you meant actually pirating the game.

Maybe you would have to soulder under the hood for that, I don't know. I have never tried copying a game for the xbox. I wouldn't even know where to start.

My apologies if I am incorrect.

Actually the XBMC he's referring to is more than likely not the official program you guys are talking about, if that is what you are talking about.

I run XBMC on mine, and it requires a mod chip, and access via FTP to the box itself, at least, the way I have it configured it does. The un-official version is a ton cooler, with the ability to run in 720p/1080i and stream TV channels from all over the world, in addition to ahving access to quicktime trailers, which is my favorite feature.

That and watching the TV shows I download.

carry on!

The un-official version is a ton cooler, with the ability to run in 720p/1080i

Man! I wish my buddy would have done that with his Xbox. He soft modded it, and did not have the ability to run in 720p or 1080i anymore. That is the reason I never had mine modded.

Of course, I have already traded my Xbox in since I am getting a 360 in about two weeks.

DragonMasterAlex said:
The only thing disappointing about PS3 and Xbox 360 are their complete lack of innovation. The Cell and Xenon CPU, which are very close cousins, are not nearly as capable as a current Intel or AMD 64 bit multicore processor. The Cell and Xenon both have too little cache, Cell is overly complicated in the SPE array, and neither are capable of speculative execution, branch prediction, out-of-order execution, etc. They're basically stripped down PowerPC processors, with Xenon having 3 cores and Cell getting the SPE arrays, which use an *entirely* different set of instructions from the main CPU.

Thank god for stripped down versions of PowerPC processors. Otherwise, the 360 would cost twice as much.

Storm1000000 said:
Yeah, I read that virtually single launch game is single threaded. It sucks that there's all that potential for power going to waste in the first gen, and probably even a lot of later gen games.

Imagine the nightmare of making/porting a game between the two consoles.

Sly said:
Imagine the nightmare of making/porting a game between the two consoles.

There are 3 consoles :p
And all multiplatform games (that are going on the PC, inclusive) will be single-core for at least a couple years.

I'd like to know what the fuck TV's are costing people so much money? $3000 TV? Youd have to get the biggest best thinnest tv available.

Hell my family purchased a Samsung 65" Widescreen HD for $2500 2 years ago.

I don't know either, I bought my 23' Samsung LCD HDTV for 1100, and I got in on the Samsung 26" clearance at target. $700 retail at the time, 350 on their clearance.

Most of the more expensive TV's are bigger plasma/LCD's and your larger than life 60"+, or 'higher end model' Micromirror projection displays. Things like the Sony XS/XBR series and the higher tier Mitsu's and Hitachis all cost more than your basic Samsung/Panasonic/Regular Sony displays. That might be driving up the average cost in some people's research.

My next project is a projector, so I'm going 'B.A.F.' (figure it out) for my next project. If I wanted to bite right now, I could do the labor myself and have a 110" screen 720p setup for less than $2500 easy. I'm trying to wait to see what upgrades come around in that area early next year, but I could get impatient.

Back