Anyone buying a 1900x? Curious nothing more.

tangoseal

[H]F Junkie
I have a 1950x so of course I am not buying it's little sister, being that I refer to the 12 core as it's little brother.

Anyone out there specifically going to purchase the 1900x? Gaming centric machine? SLI cards etc... that is what I can see it being especially useful for.

I haven't seen many on here make mention of the 12 core. Wonder if anyone is running that one too?

I was wondering this as well, since it's already been proven that 16x/16x doesn't offer much benefit for gaming over 8x/8x.

Seems like if someone needed all those PCI-E lanes they'd opt for 1920x instead since it's actually cheaper per core.

I am seriously considering it. Really really considering it. I can't afford the 1920x, but thinking about a few years down the road. The TR platform offers a lot of longevity in terms of memory capacity, I/O options, PCI lanes as well cores via cpu change. Unless something really dramatic happens in the landscape in the next few years, an x399 should be just as viable 3-4yrs down the road as it is today. There is a lot of room for growth. I just don't get that feeling from x370. That one feels very much of the moment and outclassed in the next round. But you can go x370 + 1700 for the cost of the 1900x, and that's not small. I know four digit buys aren't a yearly thing, but I can swing a couple hundred each year, so room to grow has some merit.

I am seriously considering it. Really really considering it. I can't afford the 1920x, but thinking about a few years down the road. The TR platform offers a lot of longevity in terms of memory capacity, I/O options, PCI lanes as well cores via cpu change. Unless something really dramatic happens in the landscape in the next few years, an x399 should be just as viable 3-4yrs down the road as it is today. There is a lot of room for growth. I just don't get that feeling from x370. That one feels very much of the moment and outclassed in the next round. But you can go x370 + 1700 for the cost of the 1900x, and that's not small. I know four digit buys aren't a yearly thing, but I can swing a couple hundred each year, so room to grow has some merit.

Well Zen 2 should fit in an AM4 socket but hell AMD might just do an AM4+ and force another socket change. Who knows? I am sure someone does.

Considered but i'll be going 1920x, I've currently got 12 cores so why downgrade?

Well Zen 2 should fit in an AM4 socket but hell AMD might just do an AM4+ and force another socket change. Who knows? I am sure someone does.
While Zen+/Zen2 should fit, I doubt the x370 board will magically gain quad channel support, more pci lanes or nvme slots. While multiple GPU is in it's way out, I suspect nvme will continue to grow as will memory needs. I know I used up the USB 3.0 slots as well as Sata 3 ports on my z68 board long before I had any need to replace it due to CPU power.

Considering using the 1900X in future customer builds of high-end work stations. They use SolidWorks, that unless you pay "A LOT MORE" is only going to use up to 8 cores with some of it's modules.
Also, with just a "FREE" BIOS update, AMD is going to offer M.2 raid (any manufacturer's SSD) (are you listening Intel) in the very near future on the x399 platform.

they'll stick with am4 socket, it would be more likely that they'd release a new chipset so that motherboard manufactures have something new to sell but still leave the x370/b350 supported as well over releasing an AM4+ socket. still have to keep a reason for consumers to choose between ryzen and threadripper otherwise you end up devaluing TR and making it even more of a niche market than it currently is.

While Zen+/Zen2 should fit, I doubt the x370 board will magically gain quad channel support, more pci lanes or nvme slots. While multiple GPU is in it's way out, I suspect nvme will continue to grow as will memory needs. I know I used up the USB 3.0 slots as well as Sata 3 ports on my z68 board long before I had any need to replace it due to CPU power.

I disagree with multiple gpu statement.

The transition from dx11 to dx12 is a slow and painful one that has created this weird internet wide rumor that and sli crossfire is dead.

Last edited:
Just reading around here there is not much enthusiasm for multiple gpus besides mining, at least right now. Honestly I don't mind it. Buy the best card you can now, add a second down the road for a cheap bump until the next gen cards are truly enticing again. Bootable nvme raid is also worth having lanes available for

There is nothing short of full blown enterprise that even a single nvme isn't already overkill.

Only bonus to nvme raid so see is building a NAS or running raid 1.

My client is loading massive files in SolidWorks, so right now the Single Samsung 960 Pro is the bottleneck. Am hoping that two 960 Pro's in Raid Zero will get rid of this. They are willing to pay as Engineer's time is very expensive.
I am also trying to convince them to switch to 10Gb network!

Last edited:
Well if we do the math.....

Sata III is capable of around 500MB/s realistically

NVME is 4x or more faster. You will see a significant increase by just upgrading to a single NVME drive rather than the highly dangerous raid zero configuration in which all data is lost if one of the drives fails or has issue. Food for thought, but I do not mean to derail our discussion about whom is getting a 8 core Threadripper.

About to pull the trigger on a 1900x build. Machine will be getting used for some 4k gaming, medium duty rendering, and home server. Could most likely get away with a Am4, but the extra lanes and features on the Tr4 just scream hotrod. While the 1920x and 1950x are cool, the price and core count are just overkill for anything Im doing. This will be the last serious build for me for awile, and the Tr4 should cover the long term a bit better.

I've been thinking about 1900x to replace my linux 4770k linux box. 8 cores/16 threads should be more than enough. Even 4/8 is enough. Right now I'm short on pci-e lanes. I'm thinking the xeon-w's may be a better value bargain with better ipc, and much cheaper cpu (sub $300). I will be upgrading probably in April.

Right now I have multiple video cards & a 10Gbit nics in bridinging mode in linux & don't have enough slots/lanes to put more than 1 nic along with my video cards. (1 to run desktop, 1 mining...)

I have a 1950x so of course I am not buying it's little sister, being that I refer to the 12 core as it's little brother.

Anyone out there specifically going to purchase the 1900x? Gaming centric machine? SLI cards etc... that is what I can see it being especially useful for.

I haven't seen many on here make mention of the 12 core. Wonder if anyone is running that one too?

I think a lot of the 1900x market has already jumped on an R7 and can't justify starting over with a TR, but had it been available out of the gates would have gone for it.

The price increases of DDR4 since I bought into Ryzen have made quad channel an absolute non-starter.. I feel like people should be shouting from the rooftops about this.

DDR4 has increased 100% in 6 months.

The price increases of DDR4 since I bought into Ryzen have made quad channel an absolute non-starter.. I feel like people should be shouting from the rooftops about this.

DDR4 has increased 100% in 6 months.

It's just returning to levels where it previously was a few years ago. And the uberfast kits are unnecessary anyway.

TR CPUs have had price drops across the lineup. The 1950x has ben $880 for some time now, but the 1920x is now $690 and the 1900x is now $450, which is close to the 1800x.

The 1900x is priced nicely between the 7800x and 7820x while the 1920x is priced between the 7820x and 7900x
- Both competitive with Intel.
The 1950x really is the best deal by far for those looking for strictly MT performance.

TR4 motherboards are still crazy high. $300 is a tough pill to swallow when LGA 2066 boards can be found closer to $200.

I’ve been seriously considering a 1900x. I primarily game so I was looking at Coffee Lake to finally get me off Sandy Bridge however since I’m at 4K I’m GPU bound anyway, and the expandability of X399 is appealing.

I am coming to d day for buying my thread ripper proc. Its about the last
piece i need to go ahead and build. I still not decided on which way ill go.

Going to see what happens with the price. I know newegg going to have the 1950x for 800ish

Really hopping that the other 2 get pushed down.

Back