Anyone bump up PCIE Frequency?

Oscar Meyer

Limp Gawd
Yeah I've perused the internet and know the bad and the good regarding this. The most my reference GTX 680 has clocked stable is 1228. This was using the KGB bios mod unlocking the card to a max 150% TDP and unlocking GPU voltage to 1.21. Anything above 1228 and the card would lock up during 3dmark 11 and Vantage. Before the bios mod, it only ran stable at 1180 boost. So yesterday, I looked in my mobo bios to see if there was anything I could mess with that might let me clock my GPU higher. I saw there was an option to change PCIE frequency so I bumped it up to 105.

I then ran 3dmark 11 and Vantage again at the 1228 boost speed. The first and very apparent thing I noticed was video was alot smoother. The sometimes jittery video is now buttery smooth. (I got jittery video with default clocks as well, so its not a result of overclocking that causes the jitteriness.) I then went to see how high I could clock the GPU and was able to hit a boost of 1320 on the core. It ran once instance of 3dmark 11, but would freeze from subsequent runs. Lowering the core some, I was able to run stable 1293. I left Heaven running for 30 minutes and it ran fine. Before with PCIE at 100, if I ran 1293 boost the GPU would freeze within a minute.

My question is have others had this same experience with PCIE overclocking? And if so what do you run it at? Does PLL voltage also affect this? Right now my PLL voltage is at default 1.80.
Also I have an Accelero Twin Turbo on my GPU and my GPU temps never go over 63C.

something else is going on your 680 should never have jittery video.

is yoru card running at 16x?

Maybe jittery is a bad word to describe it. It's just smoother with the PCIE bumped up a little. The difference is like playing a game at running at 60 frames a second and one at 200 frames a sec. Even though my monitor can only refresh 60 frames, the one running at 200 frames still "seems" smoother.

I would guess that bumping up the pcie speed might cause the cpu speedstep tech to be disabled making your cpu run at full speed all the time. This would inevitably make everything in windows feel smoother.

Download CPUz and see if your cpu speed is fixed at max when you bump up the pcie speed.

I would guess that bumping up the pcie speed might cause the cpu speedstep tech to be disabled making your cpu run at full speed all the time. This would inevitably make everything in windows feel smoother.

Download CPUz and see if your cpu speed is fixed at max when you bump up the pcie speed.

Speedstep has always been disabled in my system, and my CPU is always at 4.0 ghz. I really don't know what bumping up the PCIE affects, but it definitely made my frames "feel" smoother. Just want to pass it on the folks that might try it as a last resort if their frames rates are high but don't feel smooth.

Back