Anyone bring an H50 as carry on baggage?

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
I end up packing a server with me each week, and manage to get everything I need in carry on luggage only. I've got an H5O cooler, which would work out nicely for the low profile setup that fits in my suitcase.

The $20 question - anyone had any issues with TSA over a closed loop cooler like the H5O? Don't want to check the bag.

I doubt it, since it is a sealed loop. I actually accidentally brought a knife onto the plane once (it was in my laptop bag, don't ask how it got there, cause I don't know). Kinda surprised they didn't catch that, but it may be because it was sitting inside one of those all metal Cooler Master laptop coolers (the U2 I think?). Best way is to actually go to the airport and ask them what their policy would be, since it isn't exactly clear. Or if there happens to be a TSA employee on here that can answer that question.

My friend who taught me how to build desktops works for TSA these days, I'll ask him what he thinks.

Also, yeah, I once carried on my leatherman tool. I had completely forgotten it was in my backpack, and I had already checked my main bag. I just left it and figured that worst case they would confiscate it when they found it. They didn't even notice, so yeah, I got to keep my leatherman. I suppose I could have rented a locker, but whatever.

Additionally, I miss the good old days when you could carry knives as long as they weren't over a certain length.

Last edited:
H50 would look really fishy on an x-ray scanner. Worst case scenario you get pulled aside and get asked what it is. At that point you can spit computer jargon and they'll probably let you go.

I actually accidentally brought a knife onto the plane once (it was in my laptop bag, don't ask how it got there, cause I don't know).
:eek:

I accidentally brought a lighter on board once. It was also in my laptop bag.

Flying out of Ottawa, ON flying to San Antonio I realized waiting in line that my Surefire L1 lithium flashlight made it into my backpack. I quickly shifted it to my checked luggage and the agent on duty asked me what it was... said it was a flashlight and was good to go.

Incidentally I had a tube of toothpaste confiscated flying out of Toronto... OMG HE'S GOT CLEAN TEETH

It was a probably 6-12 in. knife... not one of those knives you use at the dinner table, but a legitimate knife used for cutting stuff. Seriously, some security regulations are a joke because airline officials are too lazy to implement them =/

H50 would look really fishy on an x-ray scanner. Worst case scenario you get pulled aside and get asked what it is. At that point you can spit computer jargon and they'll probably let you go.

lol, i just imagine that and yeah... sure looks like something that'll go boom

If I had it in a proper chassis, it would be no big deal. I actually stuff the server and monitor, along with my clothing, inside the carry on bag. The only real way to make everything fit is to separate out most of the components. I'm thinking of welding up something that would lay flat, but... worried to invest too much time in a custom chassis that works with the cooler.

So I talked to my TSA friend. Long answer short, they will probably spot it and give you a hard time about it. The big problem seems to be that they are going to have no idea what you are talking about when you try to explain it to them, and they are not going to be happy if they learn that there is liquid sealed inside of it.
The liquid is the real concern.
Then again, because it would be in your system, they not be as suspicious as they would be if it was not installed.

Basically, you know how TSA feels about liquid and gels.

I'm looking for carry on only. Not looking for checked luggage, which I could do. I travel every week. Luggage gets lost/stolen, and what they pay out (if they do) is not even close to covering costs of hardware. Don't care for the delay, but if you jump flights, checked bags really limit your options.

Back