Anyone been having issues with Steam downloading as of late?

Sycraft

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently for me Steam just seems to stop downloading randomly. It'll be trucking along happily, and then will stop, the program will say "Queued" in the library. However in the download manager it'll say "Update Required (Not Queued)". I hit the "Move to top of Queue" button and it starts downloading again. It is random when it breaks, sometimes it happens quick, other times the whole thing will download without issue. When it is downloading it goes nice and fast, 18-19MB/sec, and I don't notice any issues with my Internet connection overall, this seems to just be a Steam thing (GOG has no problems).

Anyone else getting this and maybe have an idea what's up?

Usually it means the server is under a heavy load and your download is a ways back in the que, patience is the only fix sadly. A lot of people get this error during the summer and winter sales when everyone is trying to download at once and it's just to much for the server to handle.

Although since this is not during sales time, I'm a bit baffled why you'd be seeing this.

Not only that, but at 3am. Also, when it does go, it goes really fast, not like the server is under load.

Give that others are seeing it, I think it is just that Steam is broken. Valve doesn't really do much in the way of QA on Steam sadly :p.

Probably load, but you can try forcing a recheck of the files you have. I've seen this happen when they've migrated between storage formats.

yeah i used to have that problem. hasnt been happening lately though.

I change servers if I have issues like this. Usually that fixes it for me.

I have that issue where Steam will make my nic freeze up while downloading. I've cleared it before in the past, but I can't figure it out this time. Gonna try changing servers.

I've been experiencing the exact same thing for the last few days. My download speeds are already pretty slow as is (1.3mb/s, if I'm lucky), throwing this on top of things just makes everything even slower. It started happening a few updates ago for me.

Same here. Downloads suddenly stop, high disk usage, and long times it for it to "write to disk". Closing Steam and restarting helps it finish the installation.

Same here. Downloads suddenly stop, high disk usage, and long times it for it to "write to disk". Closing Steam and restarting helps it finish the installation.
This has been my experience ever since they started compressing downloads... I wish there was an option to download uncompressed for those of us with no bandwidth limits/issues... Now that files need to be uncompressed after downloading it actually takes longer to get to a playable state for me than before.

Back