Anyone agree that HDR is overhyped garbage?

HDR is not worth the performance hit - the AA. Bloom is decent on the O game.

You know, in the ini oblivion file you can modify the way the outside and inside HDR works...

If HDR is so great and I'm wrong, then I'd love to see. Somebody prove it, if your brave enough. If you know enough about HDR, make it like Lost Coast, or better...

Some of the scenes I have seen while playing oblivion are truly spectacular.

HDR lighting is a great feature when it is used correctly, It adds to the overall player immersion into the game world.

Newsboys2004 said:
You know, in the ini oblivion file you can modify the way the outside and inside HDR works...

If HDR is so great and I'm wrong, then I'd love to see. Somebody prove it, if your brave enough. If you know enough about HDR, make it like Lost Coast, or better...

Considering it's a subjective thing, how is anyone supposed to "prove" anything? :rolleyes:

I think HDR, done right, looks great. I like it in Oblivion. You don't agree. Waaaaa! Oh well, it's our opinions, not something that can be proven or not. As many have suggested, if you don't like it, keep it off and those of us who like it will turn it on. It really is that simple. In the meantime, developers will get better and better at using it in the future and hopefully get to the point where we all enjoy the effects.

well what i'm hoping is for some developer tools to make HDR implementation alot easier, from my understanding the most development time spent on was the HDR effects for the lost coast, applying it must be a pain staking order

I agree that it's usually overdone. The art above has a little more than HDR going on to make it look like that.

This is another tech, that by the time it is optimized and effective they'll drop it for the next thing we can't run yet.

Worldhammer said:
This is another tech, that by the time it is optimized and effective they'll drop it for the next thing we can't run yet.

Not really. HDR means you can do alot of interesting things with regards to art style, they aren't going to drop it.

Now everyone should know by now that HDR is supposed to simulate how the human eye sees the world. But the way it is being utilized is games at the moment is more like how a video camera would see the world.

This is because at the moment, developers want to show that a game uses HDR since its a new feature than has had been hyped to hell, so they overexaggerate the bloom effects so you can notice it better.

The same thing happened when bump-mapping was first introduced. If everything wasnt shiny and bumps weren't blatantly obvious people complained about the lack of it, even though it was extensively used on rocks, concrete etc. People just assumed that bump-mapping made everything look shiny as well as bumpy.

Once HDR becomes the norm in games, which it WILL. They will start using it properly. Without feeling the need to show it off every chance they get.

To me PGR3 uses it really well. The only problem with it being the aperture settings are too high, making going in and out of tunnels a pain in the ass. Tracks without tunnels look extremely lifelike.

I find that Oblivions implementation of HDR is extremely effective at giving the a realistic look to a fantasy setting. In this respect the overexagerrated look works seriously well. While in GRAW i find it too overbearing. The bloom is far too exaggerated and it ruins the realistic look they were trying to achieve.

Lets just hope developers learn how to use HDR properly.

Going a little off subject, but I have a feeling either the upcoming Half-Life 2 episodes or the upcoming game Crysis is going to have HDR "done right." Reason I say Half-Life 2 because its Valve, they can do anything, they are the king of delays and even though they can be long, they always deliver.

I played oblivion with hdr and off. It just isnt the same with it off, especially when the sun is setting

Skirrow said:
To me PGR3 uses it really well. The only problem with it being the aperture settings are too high, making going in and out of tunnels a pain in the ass. Tracks without tunnels look extremely lifelike.
You've never heard an F1 driver describe coming out of the tunnel at Monaco? Temporary blindness exiting tunnels is pretty lifelike imo.

HDR will be able to provide us with ever better looking games and when it's realized correctly it will not be such a proformance hit.

When people complain about the glare at some moments in games, they often forget the times they drive in the morning to work/school against the sun; when someone's cell phone display reflects the sun into their eyes and they have to squint; when they walk outside during the winter or on a beach during a sunny day and they have to shade their eyes from the glare......

I think HDR is pretty good so far.....though I didnt like it so much in far cry (though maybe I didnt "set" it right). I love it in Oblivion

ummmm its just a lighting effect. Its not garbage at all, but it might be a bit overhyped

I must be the only person who thinks HDR/Bloom are great lighting effects. :(

Json23 said:
I must be the only person who thinks HDR/Bloom are great lighting effects. :(

It is great lighting effects, but the main idea going around this thread is that its overdone and to bright. But once developers grasp the concept and implement it properly where nothing looks washed out and over done, it will be amazing.

Well, right now HDR is a huge strain on video cards, so in order to make it seem worth having, they have to go overboard and really make it stand out and give you the "wow" effect. Once it becomes the standard for games to have, it will look better.

It's like shadows when they first came out in games. Doom3 was so shadowy that it was almost unplayably dark... but now that shadows are more of a standard than a new graphical feature, it's become better implimented.

It is totally overhyped, but I will definitely say I enjoy it when it's done properly, and in a very natural way (ala Oblivion/HL2:LC). FarCry's HDR seemed really fake and overdone, whereas HL2 could pull it off much better.

it was overhyped especially when it first came out. to be honest i dont really even like it that much because it seems like they over do it and make things EXTRA bright and glowy

I think the right amount of HDR looks nice. Something that looks natural.

Garbage? No I don't think it is garbage. Overhyped? I'm not too worried about it. If your card supports it.. set it on or off depending on your preference.

HDR is overhyped, it might be better down the road, but right now its just glowing god like halos and bright random shit. It seriously looks horrid even on nice systems.

emp7re said:
HDR is overhyped, it might be better down the road, but right now its just glowing god like halos and bright random shit. It seriously looks horrid even on nice systems.

Half of it has to do with the screen ur using and resolution, a 17in screen wont have the same visual quality than a 20-24in crt. I run games at 1600x1200 and they look great to me. HDR is a little overhyped but I do enjoy using it, is like AA and AF settings, they where there 4 yrs ago but they were barely usable, technology picked up and everyones using it. Lucky ATI X-series owners that get to play oblivion with AA, AF and HDR.

sometimes it ads to the cinematic atmosphere in games.

most of the time it is a barely noticable frame rate hit.

i wish the engines could toggle it on and off on the fly.

sometimes it ads to the cinematic atmosphere in games.

most of the time it is a barely noticable frame rate hit.

i wish the engines could toggle it on and off on the fly automatically, and use it only in high fps areas or cinematic events.

i want hdr ai :(

I thought it looked pretty cool in the Lost Coast level of HL2. That level was just gorgeous. Looks pretty cool in DoD Source too.

No. Go check lost coast; has the whole thing where your eyes adjust to the dark. Very cool.

To Be honest i think I liked 4 aa and 16 AF more than hdr in oblivion the image just looks clean and sharp. However, Im sure for the lucky people with Ati 1900xt cards that can enabled both it looks even more amazing.

emp7re said:

Bloom makes everything look like it's a colour between orange-yellow-brown.
Can't say for all games, but definitely TR:Legends, NFS:MW, and GRAW. Not very impressive.

eeyrjmr said:
When I got Doom3/HL2 I turned the GFX all the way up and went "ooo" for abt 5min. I then just turned them down - I was after a good game not a art-gallery.
yeah, i like my games to look like shit, too. i'm like you -- i turn down the graphics til' the game is barely distinguishable from an NES game, and then rock it.

oh no.. wait -- no one does that, because it's super retarded. only YOU do that.

I used to think it was overhyped garbage, and to a large extent It is in alot of games.

Developers overuse it. But the otherday I replayed HL2: Lost Coast with the HDR and Bloom at full and was amazed how good it looked in some areas. Definatly overdone, but im sure VALVe knows that, and when its incorperated into Episode 1 they will do a great job with it. Its all about the use.

Back