Anyone agree that HDR is overhyped garbage?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Newsboys2004, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Isaacav2

Isaacav2 [H]ard|Gawd

HDR is not worth the performance hit - the AA. Bloom is decent on the O game.

2. Newsboys2004

Newsboys2004 Gawd

You know, in the ini oblivion file you can modify the way the outside and inside HDR works...

If HDR is so great and I'm wrong, then I'd love to see. Somebody prove it, if your brave enough. If you know enough about HDR, make it like Lost Coast, or better...

3. Masterkizz

Masterkizz n00b

Some of the scenes I have seen while playing oblivion are truly spectacular.

HDR lighting is a great feature when it is used correctly, It adds to the overall player immersion into the game world.

4. Banyan

Banyan [H]ard|Gawd

wwwwaaaaaayyyyyy overhyped but not garbage.

5. wtburnette

wtburnette 2[H]4U

Considering it's a subjective thing, how is anyone supposed to "prove" anything? :rolleyes:

I think HDR, done right, looks great. I like it in Oblivion. You don't agree. Waaaaa! Oh well, it's our opinions, not something that can be proven or not. As many have suggested, if you don't like it, keep it off and those of us who like it will turn it on. It really is that simple. In the meantime, developers will get better and better at using it in the future and hopefully get to the point where we all enjoy the effects.

6. Trimlock

Trimlock [H]ardForum Junkie

well what i'm hoping is for some developer tools to make HDR implementation alot easier, from my understanding the most development time spent on was the HDR effects for the lost coast, applying it must be a pain staking order

7. ThirtySixBelow

ThirtySixBelow Gawd

I agree that it's usually overdone. The art above has a little more than HDR going on to make it look like that.

8. Worldhammer

Worldhammer Limp Gawd

This is another tech, that by the time it is optimized and effective they'll drop it for the next thing we can't run yet.

9. PikachuMan

PikachuMan Gawd

Not really. HDR means you can do alot of interesting things with regards to art style, they aren't going to drop it.

10. Skirrow

Skirrow [H]ard|Gawd

Now everyone should know by now that HDR is supposed to simulate how the human eye sees the world. But the way it is being utilized is games at the moment is more like how a video camera would see the world.

This is because at the moment, developers want to show that a game uses HDR since its a new feature than has had been hyped to hell, so they overexaggerate the bloom effects so you can notice it better.

The same thing happened when bump-mapping was first introduced. If everything wasnt shiny and bumps weren't blatantly obvious people complained about the lack of it, even though it was extensively used on rocks, concrete etc. People just assumed that bump-mapping made everything look shiny as well as bumpy.

Once HDR becomes the norm in games, which it WILL. They will start using it properly. Without feeling the need to show it off every chance they get.

To me PGR3 uses it really well. The only problem with it being the aperture settings are too high, making going in and out of tunnels a pain in the ass. Tracks without tunnels look extremely lifelike.

I find that Oblivions implementation of HDR is extremely effective at giving the a realistic look to a fantasy setting. In this respect the overexagerrated look works seriously well. While in GRAW i find it too overbearing. The bloom is far too exaggerated and it ruins the realistic look they were trying to achieve.

Lets just hope developers learn how to use HDR properly.

11. Mabrito

Mabrito [H]ardness Supreme

Going a little off subject, but I have a feeling either the upcoming Half-Life 2 episodes or the upcoming game Crysis is going to have HDR "done right." Reason I say Half-Life 2 because its Valve, they can do anything, they are the king of delays and even though they can be long, they always deliver.

12. discochan

discochan [H]ard|Gawd

I played oblivion with hdr and off. It just isnt the same with it off, especially when the sun is setting

13. IanG

IanG 2[H]4U

You've never heard an F1 driver describe coming out of the tunnel at Monaco? Temporary blindness exiting tunnels is pretty lifelike imo.
    [​IMG]

14. chiablo

chiablo Limp Gawd

Simple solution:

If you don't like it, uncheck the box!

Problem solved.

15. Jesus_Faction

Jesus_Faction [H]ard|Gawd

id like for it to be a bit more subtlely implimented

16. HighwayAssassins

HighwayAssassins [H]ardness Supreme

its not garbage, just not done right yet.

17. Majin

Majin 2[H]4U

HDR will be able to provide us with ever better looking games and when it's realized correctly it will not be such a proformance hit.

18. Khaydarin

Khaydarin 2[H]4U

When people complain about the glare at some moments in games, they often forget the times they drive in the morning to work/school against the sun; when someone's cell phone display reflects the sun into their eyes and they have to squint; when they walk outside during the winter or on a beach during a sunny day and they have to shade their eyes from the glare......

I think HDR is pretty good so far.....though I didnt like it so much in far cry (though maybe I didnt "set" it right). I love it in Oblivion

19. J-M-E

J-M-E [H]ard|Gawd

ummmm its just a lighting effect. Its not garbage at all, but it might be a bit overhyped

20. Json23

Json23 [H]ard|Gawd

I must be the only person who thinks HDR/Bloom are great lighting effects. :(

21. Mabrito

Mabrito [H]ardness Supreme

It is great lighting effects, but the main idea going around this thread is that its overdone and to bright. But once developers grasp the concept and implement it properly where nothing looks washed out and over done, it will be amazing.

22. chiablo

chiablo Limp Gawd

Well, right now HDR is a huge strain on video cards, so in order to make it seem worth having, they have to go overboard and really make it stand out and give you the "wow" effect. Once it becomes the standard for games to have, it will look better.

It's like shadows when they first came out in games. Doom3 was so shadowy that it was almost unplayably dark... but now that shadows are more of a standard than a new graphical feature, it's become better implimented.

23. banGerprawN

banGerprawN [H]ard|Gawd

It is totally overhyped, but I will definitely say I enjoy it when it's done properly, and in a very natural way (ala Oblivion/HL2:LC). FarCry's HDR seemed really fake and overdone, whereas HL2 could pull it off much better.

24. Molingrad

Molingrad Gawd

it was overhyped especially when it first came out. to be honest i dont really even like it that much because it seems like they over do it and make things EXTRA bright and glowy

25. ironforge

ironforge [H]ard|Gawd

I think the right amount of HDR looks nice. Something that looks natural.

Garbage? No I don't think it is garbage. Overhyped? I'm not too worried about it. If your card supports it.. set it on or off depending on your preference.

26. emp7re

emp7re [H]Lite

HDR is overhyped, it might be better down the road, but right now its just glowing god like halos and bright random shit. It seriously looks horrid even on nice systems.

27. ellover009

ellover009 [H]ard|Gawd

Half of it has to do with the screen ur using and resolution, a 17in screen wont have the same visual quality than a 20-24in crt. I run games at 1600x1200 and they look great to me. HDR is a little overhyped but I do enjoy using it, is like AA and AF settings, they where there 4 yrs ago but they were barely usable, technology picked up and everyones using it. Lucky ATI X-series owners that get to play oblivion with AA, AF and HDR.

28. Ocean

Ocean [H]ardness Supreme

sometimes it ads to the cinematic atmosphere in games.

most of the time it is a barely noticable frame rate hit.

i wish the engines could toggle it on and off on the fly.

29. Ocean

Ocean [H]ardness Supreme

sometimes it ads to the cinematic atmosphere in games.

most of the time it is a barely noticable frame rate hit.

i wish the engines could toggle it on and off on the fly automatically, and use it only in high fps areas or cinematic events.

i want hdr ai :(

30. I'm the Dude man

I'm the Dude man [H]ard|Gawd

I thought it looked pretty cool in the Lost Coast level of HL2. That level was just gorgeous. Looks pretty cool in DoD Source too.

31. Coolcity

Coolcity n00b

No. Go check lost coast; has the whole thing where your eyes adjust to the dark. Very cool.

32. FlyinBrian

FlyinBrian Gawd

To Be honest i think I liked 4 aa and 16 AF more than hdr in oblivion the image just looks clean and sharp. However, Im sure for the lucky people with Ati 1900xt cards that can enabled both it looks even more amazing.

33. hfc

hfc Limp Gawd

Bloom makes everything look like it's a colour between orange-yellow-brown.
    Can't say for all games, but definitely TR:Legends, NFS:MW, and GRAW. Not very impressive.

34. pr0pensity

pr0pensity [H]ard|Gawd

HDR looks nice. It's bloom that's overdone.

35. killedaway

killedaway Limp Gawd

yeah, i like my games to look like shit, too. i'm like you -- i turn down the graphics til' the game is barely distinguishable from an NES game, and then rock it.

oh no.. wait -- no one does that, because it's super retarded. only YOU do that.

36. Khaydarin

Khaydarin 2[H]4U

QFT

37. HighwayAssassins

HighwayAssassins [H]ardness Supreme

I used to think it was overhyped garbage, and to a large extent It is in alot of games.

Developers overuse it. But the otherday I replayed HL2: Lost Coast with the HDR and Bloom at full and was amazed how good it looked in some areas. Definatly overdone, but im sure VALVe knows that, and when its incorperated into Episode 1 they will do a great job with it. Its all about the use.