Anybody using their steam deck as either their main or secondary pc?

• Yes, Main Computer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, Secondary Computer

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Maybe in the Future

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I don't know how to use Linux so no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just want to use it for gaming

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Macs Suck

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Bigfoot has more game than me!

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie

I am using it as my main Work computer in desktop mode and it works fantastic!

Actually, just last night I used it in desktop mode for an extended amount of time (trying to install EmuDeck).

I was surprised how smooth it ran - was installing software, adjusting display/workspace settings, webbrowsing, and watching a Youtube video. I didn't plan on using it as a secondary PC (it was going to be a gaming device only) but I could definitely see it filling that role if need be.

You can't install a lot of things, or put in another repository too. So a lot of drawbacks. But so far so good.

You can't install a lot of things, or put in another repository too. So a lot of drawbacks. But so far so good.
You can so!

• Switch to Desktop Mode
• Launch Konsole
• Set up the root password for the Deck using the command: passwd

• Disable read only mode using the command: sudo btrfs property set -ts / ro false

• Initialize your pacman ring with the command: sudo pacman-key --init

• Populate the keyring with the default archlinux keys with the command: sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux

You can so!

• Switch to Desktop Mode
• Launch Konsole
• Set up the root password for the Deck using the command: passwd

• Disable read only mode using the command: sudo btrfs property set -ts / ro false

• Initialize your pacman ring with the command: sudo pacman-key --init

• Populate the keyring with the default archlinux keys with the command: sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux
The problem is that anytime there is an update for steam for it that stuff gets erased.

Reactions: Jelly
like this
I won't be using it as a PC at all, BUT i did plug it into my Lenovo dock at work just to see and it picked up all 3 monitors, mouse and keyboard and all. Also a monitor with USB disply in worked great, so it is definitely possible to use it as a daily driver if you had nothing else. I personally am fortunate enough to have a laptop for mobile PC use so i am biased.

My biggest problem is the official deck blows and the 5Ghz Wifi is unusable for longer than 30 seconds. The wifi issue is widespread and well known.

I have a NVMe drive setup in a USB enclosure to boot into Windows. The dock won't display to my external monitor via DP at all without artifacting. The HDMI port requires me to unplug it and then plug it back in before I see anything displayed on my external monitor. This workaround is getting old. Not to mention that anything other than 60Hz output from the dock yields crackling static everytime audio plays. I'm sure they will chalk it up to a firmware update coming "later" that will allow for VRR monitors to work, but until then it's just an annoyance.

I was hoping I could use it as a backup portable minipc, but I might end up having to buy something from minisforum or similar.

Last edited:
Curious for someone who has their Steam Deck hooked up to a 4K TV. Is it any good at streaming 4k games from a more powerful computer?

I was terribly disappointed in the Deck as a mini PC. Stuttery bastard just to do simple things.
I wanted it for travel, it's dismal. No POE on the road for me.

Kids like it for Plex use and what little games, from my library, that actually work on the Deck.

Probably sell it eventually.

The Steam Deck APU is somewhere around a 4500H or an i7 1165G7 in terms of performance. It "should" work better than it does for desktop usage.

Personally, I just bought a Beelink SER5 with a 5600H for ~$300 which is probably going to do what I wanted the Steam Deck to do just without the added portable gaming.

The Wifi issues are practically inexcusable though. I understand cutting costs, but it's not even a bottom barrel Wifi adapter...it's below the bottom of the barrel and frequently has issues with 5Ghz connections. I had to go into my router and do a MAC filter to set the Steam Deck to only use 2.4Ghz.

Last edited:
I have used it temporarily as a secondary PC when playing musical chairs with GPU's. Few weeks here and there. Docked it with the Jsaux dock. Had it plugged into a router.

Played DayZ on it regularly. Worked well enough. I had to help bugfix a Linux-based server browser so I could join modded servers.

The SteamOS ultimately is really rough around the edges. While the game support is impressive, it's far from perfect. You have to be willing to dig in and get your hands dirty with Linux to take full advantage of it. For many people (including me), it's a new frontier. But not one that many would want to explore.

I don't own a laptop so I can appreciate it for its portable abilities.

I have thought about replacing the os on mine. Give Manjaro a shot.
Maybe it is the os in some cases. I haven't used steam os on a box for a bit.
I do know on my Linux boxes, (Manjaro and Pop), I have a lot more to choose from out of my library. With the Deck, it's really limited. Mostly due to the controller. Still goofy after I add a mouse and KB.
Surfing the web is stuttering and annoying, opening a program is slow. And I have the 512 nvme model. It is a decent piece of hardware for what it is intended for, I just anticipated I could do more with it.

Might tinker with it, but lazy tho, probably sell it. At my age, the thrill of problem solving non important stuff is limited at best.

Might tinker with it, but lazy tho, probably sell it. At my age, the thrill of problem solving non important stuff is limited at best.

Exactly. I sold mine two days ago. If all I did was play games, it would have been a decent device. But for mixed usage, its shortcomings and the time involved in fixing the problem or waiting for firmware updates just didn't appeal to me anymore.

Exactly. I sold mine two days ago. If all I did was play games, it would have been a decent device. But for mixed usage, its shortcomings and the time involved in fixing the problem or waiting for firmware updates just didn't appeal to me anymore.
I'll probably put mine up too and quit complaining about it. 😃

I'll probably put mine up too and quit complaining about it. 😃
I'm tempted to join you guys. I'm actually a big fan of the device but the fact of the matter is that I barely use it. I'll bring it with me a bunch of places on the off-chance that I'll get a chance to use it, and I never do. It's almost like a weird safety-blanket.

Fact of the matter is that when I have time to play games, I'm already sitting in front of my 77" OLED with 3090 Ti gaming rig. If I'm not sitting on my couch, then I'm not probably not playing games.

Then I'll read on Reddit about how people replaced their main PC with their Steam Deck and the Steam Deck is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Makes me feel like maybe I'd be happer with the extra cash and some other person would be happier with my Deck than I am.

I bought a cheap-ish 5600h based NUC and it is everything I wanted the Steam deck to be in a mini PC (albeit nothing like I wanted out of a portable gaming machine).

Maybe in a few years with a new revision.

I'm tempted to join you guys. I'm actually a big fan of the device but the fact of the matter is that I barely use it. I'll bring it with me a bunch of places on the off-chance that I'll get a chance to use it, and I never do. It's almost like a weird safety-blanket.

Fact of the matter is that when I have time to play games, I'm already sitting in front of my 77" OLED with 3090 Ti gaming rig. If I'm not sitting on my couch, then I'm not probably not playing games.

Then I'll read on Reddit about how people replaced their main PC with their Steam Deck and the Steam Deck is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Makes me feel like maybe I'd be happer with the extra cash and some other person would be happier with my Deck than I am.
I used to carry a gameboy like that for a long time - when I finally realized I'd toted around for a year without using it once (except to check the charge and recharge it)... yeah. I don't game on the go - or if I do, it's something like a quick phone game of yahtzee. Not... real stuff.

I bought a cheap-ish 5600h based NUC and it is everything I wanted the Steam deck to be in a mini PC (albeit nothing like I wanted out of a portable gaming machine).

Maybe in a few years with a new revision.
That's a long the lines of what I was thinking.

Where did you find the nuc?

That's a long the lines of what I was thinking.

Where did you find the nuc?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B7J2T8Z...&amp=&crid=AASTVK1JVL1O&amp=&sprefix=beelink+

That's the one I got except it was $320 with a coupon when I bought it last week. I didn't want to go super high end because they end up being $600-800 out the door which defeats the purpose. But at the same time, I didn't want a real cheap celeron version because I wanted a little more oomph than that. I figured this one was the happy middle ground. There are also 5500u/5560u/5600u versions which run a 15W processor instead of a 45W. It has half of the cache though. Also, the reviews of it say it came with a Realtek wifi 6E solution. Mine was a regular Intel AX200 (6, not 6E, but also much more reliable with more throughput).

The only thing I kind of wish it did was allow me to drop the TDP to 35W to run a little cooler, but it's fine.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's still that with the coupon for me. Thanks for passing that on. It's a contender.

I have been watching the thread on this one,
https://store.minisforum.com/collections/amd-®-ryzen-®/products/minisforum-um590

I may pull the trigger on it. Someone probably ought to buy my Deck first though.

I actually priced that out from Amazon since they actually had stock and I'd have it quicker ($510 at Amazon vs $500-$15 coupon at minisforum). By the time I added 32GB of DDR5 SODIMMs I was near $650 with tax and I had to take my 512GB NVMe out of my enclosure to use as an OS drive. I decided I'd see if I could get by spending half the money.

If it was my only computer, I'd definitely buy the higher end one, but I have a 13700k/4080 box that's for my main usage.

One of the best (and truest) quotes I've come across in a long time - thanks!

I've almost only used my Steam Deck with 5ghz wifi and it has worked fine since it came in the mail in July of last year. I only use 2.4 when I'm way out in the yard in the unfenced area to make sure my dogs don't go streaking off after people they know will pet them.

Back