Anybody tried this before? DisplayPort KVM output to Dual Link DVI-D active adapter?

anakin357

[H]ard|Gawd
Just picked up a Dual Link DVI-D Korean monitor. I'd like to upgrade in a few months to a 4k DisplayPort monitor, and don't really want to buy (and subsequently sell) two high end KVM switches. If I can use a DP KVM with a DVI Adapter, that would be ideal.

Here's what I'm thinking of trying:

DisplayPort output from Laptop and Gaming PC -->
DisplayPort Cables -->
DisplayPort KVM -- >
Active DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI Adapter -->
Dual Link DVI-D Cable -->
Korean Monitor

Then... when I upgrade, I'll simply remove the old monitor and active adapter, and be all set to use only the DisplayPort KVM.

Last edited:
I would expect it to work with an active adapter since its basically treating it like a display port display and actively converting it to displayport format but if you want to overclock at all I would suggest the gefen dual-link DVI KVM switch which could handle up to 100Hz on korean overclockable displays (probably even 120hz but my drivers didn't allow >400 Mhz pixelclock at the time of testing).

houkouonchi, based on your excellent advice, I bought a Gefen EXT-DVIKVM-241DL (their 2 port DVI KVM and audio switch) and an active DP->Dual DVI adapter on fleabay for around $125 combined. New monitor is a QNIX QX2710 LED Evolution ll at 110Hz. The KVM didn't come with the IR switcher, so I built a simple wired remote switch for the KVM using a 3.5mm stereo cable and a normally open momentary switch, instead of buying the $30 Gefen RMT-2 remote.

My new setup:

Laptop -> Active DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI adapter -> Dual Link DVI cable -> KVM
Desktop -> Dual Link DVI cable -> KVM

Works great. HUGE upgrade from a 6 year old HG-281DPB and glitchy IOGEAR GCS62H HDMI KVM. Thanks for the tip!

Back