Anybody Returning their iPhone 5?

I am running 4.1.2 on my GS2 with no problems at all and at least 1.5 days of battery life with moderate use.

You sound like someone who didn't take the time to tweak things on the phone. I can't speak towards how the phone runs stock, but with some slight tweaks and the upgraded OS, its very nice.

I am running AOKP 4.1.2 Build 5.1

He clearly said he misses the "just works" operation. Which I find in many Android phones, "just works" doesn't happen too often. On my GS3 alone, I had to change many things before it felt "okay". In comparison to my previous iPhones, everything worked great out of the box.

He clearly said he misses the "just works" operation. Which I find in many Android phones, "just works" doesn't happen too often. On my GS3 alone, I had to change many things before it felt "okay". In comparison to my previous iPhones, everything worked great out of the box.

By a nexus if you want an out of the box just works experience.

By a nexus if you want an out of the box just works experience.

Not true. I'm on my 2nd Gnex and still have SIM card issues. Every so often I have to reboot 4 or 5 times to get the phone to recognize a SIM card is inserted.

I'll be buying an iPhone 5 in the next week or so. I love android but I just want my phone to work.

I have a GS3 and the battery was horrible for me but I surfed the net alot and what not. It would be dead by 2pm after being unplugged at 430am.

Bought a extended battery and all is good now though.

Rooted with Cytongen of course, stock was bullshit.

I have a GS3 and the battery was horrible for me but I surfed the net alot and what not. It would be dead by 2pm after being unplugged at 430am.

Bought a extended battery and all is good now though.

Rooted with Cytongen of course, stock was bullshit.

Which extended battery did you buy? And how much better is your battery life with CM?

While the scuff problems are really taking the piss (I'm on the sixth device now I think, five and six are with me at the moment, six is a brand new retail boxed replacement, number five only has one mark but has a very loud vibrate motor and dust under the glass), I'm definitely keeping the phone. The other alternative would be the Nexus 4, which I would of course take a good look at considering the price, but it's a case of usability vs. features that I won't necessarily need or take advantage of, at the expense of the experience that I prefer. I simply prefer the way that iOS works, the ecosystem behind it, and the hardware. I've owned Android devices in the past, the most recent being an S3 running CM10, and the experience simply wasn't as good for me. That isn't to say that Android is terrible - it's excellent, just as good as iOS, but not quite for me.

Got the phone Saturday, got a Black 32GB, am on Verizon. Digging it so far, the speed improvements over my iPhone 4 are sky-high. Too much to put into words. The smoothness is unreal, and everything feels so instant, that it's faster than instant. Text looks much more pleasing to read as well, the size helps as well.

Now to get a case that doesn't suck dick. I got a black Griffin Reveal case for now until I make up my mind on what I really want, since I wanted a clear back but a bumper around sides. The back of the case (clear part) has some "scuff" marks on it, looks like clear tread marks if you will, and I can't get rid of them. No scratches yet on it surprisingly, but those scuff marks are driving me insane. I got the Zagg Invisible HD shields, front and back, and the back sticks to the clear case and creates those watermark things on the back, and when you take the case off it takes parts of the shield with it, creating massive bubbling. I almost regret getting the back... I had to rub baby-powder on the back and buff it a bit to get it to stop sticking, but now the back of the phone, through the clear case, looks VERY frosty and matte. Which I guess wouldn't be too bad, but now the clear scuff marks on the case are even more visible...I just can't win.

Need to get myself some kind of better clear-back case with a bumper around it that doesn't blow ass. Anything good from Best Buy that people can recommend? Have $130 to spend due to trade-in. Also need the case to be very minimalist, so nothing like the Otterbox or some thing that adds extra weight/bulk.

Was looking at the Grove Made wooden cases but that's near bottom of my list atm, since I'd like something that shows the back. May change my mind soon though...

Well, good or bad I don't know, but I went the opposite way. I ended up returning my GS3 for an iPhone 5. The battery was lasting all day (barely though). Then the last couple weeks it was dying half way through the day, which is ridiculous. This was with almost no usage. My co-worker has a GS3 as well, and is seeing the same results. We think it's the phone searching for signal (our office had really bad signal reception). However, I never experienced this with my iPhone 4 and on the 5 I'm still at 90% battery where the GS3 would be at maybe 40% by now.

This, the lack of Japanese input and never getting used to the keyboard compelled me to swap out.

Not true. I'm on my 2nd Gnex and still have SIM card issues. Every so often I have to reboot 4 or 5 times to get the phone to recognize a SIM card is inserted.

I'll be buying an iPhone 5 in the next week or so. I love android but I just want my phone to work.

Thats not normal. Are you sure its not the sim card thats defective.

If I had the 5, I highly doubt I would return it-I'm still perfectly happy with my 4. I don't use my phone enough to warrant a upgrade soon, I just recently picked this up unlocked here actually.

I love my iPhone 5. Upgraded from the 4S and even that felt like a night and day change. Prior to the 4S I had an Android for 8 months which I despised, so no, I am no "fan boy" that hasn't even set foot on Android territory. In my opinion, there isn't a single phone out there for now that I could justify returning my iPhone 5 for. :D

I like the iPhone 5.

But..

I get the feeling that something is lacking with the WiFi antenna.
Sometimes it tells me that no SIM is inserted and I lose all reception until I power cycle the phone.

Otherwise, it's been a tremendous improvement in UX from the iPhone 4 (which I'm now selling on eBay)

I did not yet return my iPhone 5 and i am still learning all the features and other stuff inside well i think you got a good choice on returning it.

Back