Anybody replace fw900 with a catleap 120hz?

ellover009

[H]ard|Gawd
Anybody replace fw900 with a catleap 120hz? I am on the fence on getting a catleap 120hz to replace my aging fw900 but would love feedback from someone who has owned both of these.

So far on the fw900 I used windas to adjust the g2 the best that I could, I am still having a hard time banging out the uniformity since it likes to drift a bit, right side is blurry and I need to find an screwdriver small enough and long enough so I can adjust the pot, and I have to be able to do it fitting it through the grill because last time I attempted to take the casing off I failed big time and I didn't want to break it in half. Monitor does not look anywhere as nice as when I got it about 7yrs ago and I have been tempted to replace it with the catleap 120 due to having a bigger screen size and slightly higher resolution.

well my beloved fw900 decided to die the other day. sad times. seems the gun died, and i'm not touching the insides in fear of killing myself. i've done a lot of research and it appears that the catleap 2b, or soon to come x270oc from overlordcomputer.com are our only choices.. aside from hunting down another fw900 of course.

it would be nice to have an ips @ 1440p do 120hz, and not have to break your back any time you wanted to move the thing. i've gotten so accustomed to 1440x900 i'm not sure what i would do with that extra pixel real estate lol.

the problem with the catleaps is that in order to pull 120hz at 1440p you are looking at something like a 450mhz+ pixel clock, and that would require a gtx 670/680 to achieve (possibly the upcoming 660ti, unsure atm)

unfortunately i haven't been able to get ahold of one of these panels yet due to the back-orders, the Koreans seem to be taking their sweet time in shipping the next batch out to 120hz.net. (none of the ones on ebay are 2b model--the only model that can be 'overclocked') i'll probably end up waiting for overlordcomputer.com to come online late October. this is all the info i have for now. :(

if you are in a hurry the benq xl2420t is the next best thing, although it's a tn panel it's the best tn panel to date.

i've only used a fw900 for a few days
couldn't really get it to show a sharp picture at reasonable refresh rates and/or resolutions above 1280x800
but i generally must have used crts for like 10y+

120hz tfts so far weren't good enough for me
either the picture quality was too bad to use them for work
or they had other problems like annoying hum

ended up mainly using a 19" 5:4 a-mva @ 81hz for a few years
not playing too much anymore
just was a bit too small and narrow too really enjoy

my experience with the catleap is only a few days old too
though i knew i was gonna keep it pretty much right away
gaming is just as smooth and pleasant as on the fw900
its only missing the "pop" because smaller details are completely blurred out at fast movements (10-15ms pixel response time i'd guess) and because ips black levels are rather shitty in general
colors pretty similar
the fw900 of course a bit better especially when it come to darker scenes

what's most important though is that the 120hz catleap overall is by far the best gaming monitor you can get right now
no concrete alternatives announced for the near future
and still getting a new mint condition fw900 doesn't seem likely

if you are in a hurry the benq xl2420t is the next best thing, although it's a tn panel it's the best tn panel to date.
yes
- ultra-slow pixel response times around 25-30ms
- grainy crystal-effect coating with a good touch of blur and dirty whites
- heavy overdrive artifacts and free single-gpu microstutter
- multiple free color-filters that cannot be disabled

best panel in terms of sponsorship

not sure where you pulled that from. sounds like you are talking about a first gen tn panel, haven't even seen those go over 15ms. xl2420t is 5ms, 2ms gtg. catleap is 6ms.

Back