Anybody regret their 7700k purchase?

I wouldn't think so. If productivity apps are your primary activity I suppose you might, as the price/performance of the 1700 is pretty insane there, but otherwise seems pretty doubtful.

I bought my 6700k maybe 6 months ago ? Or a little more can't remember. Also no regrets. 4600mhz and gaming away.

Just built my new system this past Saturday. Still dialing it in, seems good so far. Upgraded from 2500k. No regrets on that purchase. First 6 year no-upgrade system and probably the last.

Very lucky indeed! Here I was stoked mine does 5.0Ghz at 1.325 on 3600Mhz ram Delidded. Fairly certain I'll be running 4.6Ghz daily 1.175V however.

I'm impressed how easy these are to cool. I'm running a Noctua NH-L12 and it's more than enough. It touches 80C panel open at 5 during RB.

Last edited:
Nope, but I do regret not buying faster ram while it was cheap though.
At the time i thought i made the right price/performance choice with 16gb DDR4 3000, now i'm wishing i would have grabbed some DDR4 3600mhz ram while it was cheaper and i probably will once the prices come down some.

None at all.
If I have any regrets about my build at all, it's that I didn't wait 3 months for the 1080 TI, but in those three months I did some gaming that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to manage with my previous 380, and that time was well spent.

I have to think long and hard about this one.

In no fucking way do I regret it!

The regret people may have is not to buy it sooner instead of playing wait and see ;)

In ten years you have 75 posts. This is all you could come up with? Why would anyone regret buying a 7700k or why would anyone regret buying a ryzen? People that buy them usually know what they are doing and know where their dollars are going. They are both fine systems. I have a 6850k, when I build another system I would give ryzen a serious thought just because it is good to have choices and competition. I don't have love for any brand I buy what fits my need for the money. Ryzen 4 core and 6 core chips are looking mighty sweet for my second rig upgrade. But that has fx 6300 right now and could probably last me another few years lol. Its in the guest room, everyone thinks its fast cuz it has an ssd.... bahhahaha

nope :D , I finally got my hands on a Gigabyte X370-5 today but retailer here in Toronto had the 7700K on sale along with the Gigabyte x270-Gaming 7 so that's what I went with instead. Have been running around picking up the other parts. 90% of my use is gaming, and the rest is netflix & divx so I think it'll serve me just fine. Tossing it into a Fractal Define C w/ side Window. Just cracked the case open tonight to look, super nice case and very awesome attention to detail.
20170330_213757.jpg

7700 on sale at CC right now or another retailer, Dave? Just went there today out in Burlington and they had absolutely sweet fuck all.

What'd you pay?

Yes. Going from a 3570K @ 4Ghz to a 7770K @ 4.4Ghz has yielded barely 20% according to IBT from 110glfops to 133gflops which is exactly as I calculated (3% Haswell IPC, 3% Skylake IPC, +0.5Ghz clockspeed).

CoffeeLake being released so soon threatens making the 7700K obsolete more than Ryzen. Ryzen is only good for dumbed-down console shooters and productivity.

7700 on sale at CC right now or another retailer, Dave? Just went there today out in Burlington and they had absolutely sweet fuck all.

What'd you pay?

CC has the 7700k onsale for $440, and the board was on sale for $289(promo ended yesterday). Ncix and Newegg are selling the same gigabyte board for $350! Which is still higher because i just checked cc and its 325 now, so if you still buy the board get it from cc.

NCIX has matched CC. Check shopbot on current pricing. A few BC based stores have been undercutting both CC and NCIX for CPU prices for the past few months so you may see them adjustments coming on their sites. I actually got mine from a BC store free shipping at the start of this month just day of Ryzen launch.

nope :D , I finally got my hands on a Gigabyte X370-5 today but retailer here in Toronto had the 7700K on sale along with the Gigabyte x270-Gaming 7 so that's what I went with instead. Have been running around picking up the other parts. 90% of my use is gaming, and the rest is netflix & divx so I think it'll serve me just fine. Tossing it into a Fractal Define C w/ side Window. Just cracked the case open tonight to look, super nice case and very awesome attention to detail.
View attachment 20786

What retailer? I was not aware there was any Micro Center like retailer in all of Canada, let alone Toronto.

I have ZERO regrets for my 1700 and 1700X purchases, I see no reason to regret getting a 7700K either, for those who did. I do wish I had gone with Asrock instead of Asus but, only because Asrock seems to have been Ultra Fast boot support, at least in my experience.

If I were to get a 7700K right now (as in, order today)? No, I'd certainly not regret it, because it would be a hell of a jump from my 3770K. However, it'd be hard to convince myself to get a Skylake 7700K over the Broadwell-E 6800K:

i7-7700K $350
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming7 $240
TOTAL: $590

i7-6800K $425
Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5P $320
TOTAL: $745

...yeah, it's $155 more which a lot of people may not be willing to justify, but I don't upgrade very often (usually 4-7 years between major overhauls), so I'd probably lay down the extra cash and walk the 6c/12t route for longevity's sake. And that's IF I was ordering today. But, since I'm holding off (again) until next year's tax return, then it's really going to come down to which platform offers the best bang for the buck: Intel X-series (6-10 core, maybe 12 by then), Intel Z-series (4 core, doubtful they would have 6 by then), or AMD X3xx-series (8 core, possibly 12-16 by then).

All in all, I think you'll be very happy with you new 7700K coming from a 2500K.

What retailer? I was not aware there was any Micro Center like retailer in all of Canada, let alone Toronto.

In the Toronto area, we have Canada Computers (CC), which I guess it equiv to your Fry's in California, we also have NCIX, which is like Canada Computers but only sell's pc parts, not all electronics. And then of course New Egg etc... but if you want to walk in a purchase a board and cpu, the places to go are CC and NCIX. Both of which ship across Canada, but isn't NCIX also in the US? Both retailers have 10+ locations across the greater Toronto area and Canada, mostly of course in the big cities. There are a handfull of small part retailers but generally I find the bottom barrel prices are at NCIX and CC.

In the Toronto area, we have Canada Computers (CC), which I guess it equiv to your Fry's in California, we also have NCIX, which is like Canada Computers but only sell's pc parts, not all electronics. And then of course New Egg etc... but if you want to walk in a purchase a board and cpu, the places to go are CC and NCIX. Both of which ship across Canada, but isn't NCIX also in the US? Both retailers have 10+ locations across the greater Toronto area and Canada, mostly of course in the big cities. There are a handfull of small part retailers but generally I find the bottom barrel prices are at NCIX and CC.

Cool, thanks. Well, I live in the Buffalo, NY area and even though it is great around here, it is terrible when it comes to having anywhere to go a buy PC parts locally. (Best Buy is pretty much it for a walk in store.) :D

If I were to get a 7700K right now (as in, order today)? No, I'd certainly not regret it, because it would be a hell of a jump from my 3770K. However, it'd be hard to convince myself to get a Skylake 7700K over the Broadwell-E 6800K:

...yeah, it's $155 more which a lot of people may not be willing to justify, but I don't upgrade very often (usually 4-7 years between major overhauls), so I'd probably lay down the extra cash and walk the 6c/12t route for longevity's sake. And that's IF I was ordering today. But, since I'm holding off (again) until next year's tax return, then it's really going to come down to which platform offers the best bang for the buck: Intel X-series (6-10 core, maybe 12 by then), Intel Z-series (4 core, doubtful they would have 6 by then), or AMD X3xx-series (8 core, possibly 12-16 by then).

All in all, I think you'll be very happy with you new 7700K coming from a 2500K.

But it's not. Just under 20% absolute and under 10% IPC over IvyBridge is rubbish. It hits 76C at stock under water so you need to add $50 for delidding and there's no guarantee it'll go beyond 4.5Ghz stock without being AVX unstable failing Prime95 and IBT.

Waiting for 6-core CoffeeLake or getting a 1080Ti if you don't already have one are far better investments than upgrading from a 3770K to 6800K or 7700K.

Back