Anybody plan on grabbing one of the new RX7xxx Navi cards on launch?

I thought I was going to back out, but curiosity got the better of me, my request for today off was granted, a conveniently timed check showed up yesterday, and I just showed up at Marietta Micro Center around 7:30am, about when I'd start a work shift (not at MC, obviously).

There was indeed a line, but nothing too sprawling - albeit nearly doubled in length as the 9am opening time approached.

I think they had about 70 cards total - 35 XTXs, another 35 XTs, all PowerColor reference models priced at MSRP and not a cent more. 7:30 was apparently early enough for a slot in the high 20s for the XTX, and a bunch of people left in disappointment after those were all accounted for, not even trying for the XT.

Stopped by Microcenter in Paterson NJ about 10 min after they opened. I have a 4090 so I wasn’t looking to camp out or too motivated to jump through hoops to get an XTX, especially considering the slightly underwhelming performance, but figured I’d pick one up to test back to back against my 4090 in the only demanding game that I play, which is Warzone 2 at 4K resolution on a 240hz monitor. COD is traditionally better optimized for AMD architecture due to how console-heavy the franchise is, so if the XTX happened to beat or match the 4090 in this one title alone, I’d make the switch and sell the 4090.

There was about a line of 15-20 people out front when I pulled up. A customer coming out of the store informed those still in line that they sold out of XTX before him; I have no idea how long the line was to begin with prior to opening or how many cards had of each kind, but it’s safe to say that if you did not line up before opening you did not get a XTX.

Saw a few poor souls decide to stay in line and settle for the XT despite the garbage-tier value it presents.

Stopped by Microcenter in Paterson NJ about 10 min after they opened. I have a 4090 so I wasn’t looking to camp out or too motivated to jump through hoops to get an XTX, especially considering the slightly underwhelming performance, but figured I’d pick one up to test back to back against my 4090 in the only demanding game that I play, which is Warzone 2 at 4K resolution on a 240hz monitor. COD is traditionally better optimized for AMD architecture due to how console-heavy the franchise is, so if the XTX happened to beat or match the 4090 in this one title alone, I’d make the switch and sell the 4090.

There was about a line of 15-20 people out front when I pulled up. A customer coming out of the store informed those still in line that they sold out of XTX before him; I have no idea how long the line was to begin with prior to opening or how many cards had of each kind, but it’s safe to say that if you did not line up before opening you did not get a XTX.

Saw a few poor souls decide to stay in line and settle for the XT despite the garbage-tier value it presents.

The XT and the XTX are priced to high along with the 4080 and the crazy priced 4090. But if people buy them then it will remain priced high. All of them are terrible values. XT is there for you to feel like the XTX is a much better deal.

I am disappointed with this launch.

AMD did not live up to their own pre-launch statements. Perhaps Nvidia is not as evil as I thought?

The price is not the issue (well, sort of. ;) ): it's that AMD missed the benchmarks that they, themselves, touted that these cards could achieve. It was not "hoped for" performance, it was "on average". Yet, this is not borne out by the reviews.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The XT and the XTX are priced to high along with the 4080 and the crazy priced 4090. But if people buy them then it will remain priced high. All of them are terrible values. XT is there for you to feel like the XTX is a much better deal.
The only answer is not to buy the product, especially if you don't think it's worth the money.

AMD is to blame for this high pricing, not Nvidia. Nvidia is pricing their products high because they aren't getting any pressure from AMD; Nvidia is the market leader, and as such they dictate the high-end of the market. The only way this is going to change is if AMD creates a comparable product and prices it significantly lower. If the consumer does not feel like they are getting value from the underdog in the market, they are going to go with the leader.

Obviously I'm not helping because I bought an RTX 4090, but I "wanted" a GPU that could drive my LG CX 4K120 display easily... and the 4090 is the only product on the market that can do that for the time being.

The only answer is not to buy the product, especially if you don't think it's worth the money.

AMD is to blame for this high pricing, not Nvidia. Nvidia is pricing their products high because they aren't getting any pressure from AMD; Nvidia is the market leader, and as such they dictate the high-end of the market. The only way this is going to change is if AMD creates a comparable product and prices it significantly lower. If the consumer does not feel like they are getting value from the underdog in the market, they are going to go with the leader.

Obviously I'm not helping because I bought an RTX 4090, but I "wanted" a GPU that could drive my LG CX 4K120 display easily... and the 4090 is the only product on the market that can do that for the time being.

Thats not how the market works, you always let the top dog set the price and work as close to it as possible, so Nvidia sets the bar and has for years. You never massively undercut your product unless it's underperforming by quite a bit or your goal is to capture market share. I feel AMD is just fine with the current market share with the amount of fab space they have. Based on the way the XTX is selling they are doing just fine.

Nothing wrong with buying what you think you need, AMD is not making a card that you feel fits your needs. But very few need a 4090, many pay way more then they can afford just to win benchmarks and let everyone else know how cool they are vs actually using the card. Problem right now is no one wants to build new tech for the middle of the road cards, so your stuck with last gen tech if you want a better price and thats still too high for many. I have a feeling both companies are unwilling to spend there fab dollars on this market anymore.

Lmao, no. "Look what you made me do AMD, now I have to open my wallet for Nvidia"

Lol.

I snagged an XTX yesterday. I'm currently running a backup 1070 and didn't want to wait yet another several months for prices to go down (if that happens at all). Left a bad taste spending $1000 on a card, and I'll likely not upgrade for a good while, but the XTX has the performance uplift I'd wanted (and expected). Looking forward to moving back to red since having a 6900xt for a hot minute last year.

I had RX 6800 good card, I had nothing only problems with black screen of death is what i call it lol.

I was going order Rx 7900xtx card, i remember buying Radeon VII card, that card could handle my 74" 4k t.v no problem.

I was so looking forward to semi good priced card with good performance. Nvidia and amd both have cards in there own ways, but the price's are wild..

My Best Buy order for a Reference XFX 7900 XTX @ $899 has not been cancelled yet and still says it will be ready for pickup Sunday. So hopefully that is the case come Sunday. I was on the fence what to do this generation as I am gaming at 4k on my 48" OLED. But having owned a 3090 for a while and messing a lot with RT, I never saw anything in any game that made me think it is a must have feature for visuals. That was a majority of the reason I sold it and went back to a 6900XT. Until most games have RT and it is obviously visually superior, I'll continue to place more of my priority on raster, which for me made my decision to get the 7900XTX pretty obvious (considering performance per $$). I honestly think we are still 3-5 years away from being at a point where games will make me care about RT. In the meantime, I would love to pick up the Sapphire Nitro, but I'll see how this reference version does first.

Last edited:
My Best Buy order for a Reference XFX 7900 XTX @ $899 has not been cancelled yet and still says it will be ready for pickup Sunday. So hopefully that is the case come Sunday. I was on the fence what to do this generation as I am gaming at 4k on my 48" OLED. But having owned a 3090 for a while and messing a lot with RT, I never saw anything in any game that made me think it is a must have feature for visuals. That was a majority of the reason I sold it and went back to a 6900XT. Until most games have RT and it is obviously visually superior, I'll continue to place more of my priority on raster, which for me made my decision to get the 7900XTX pretty obvious (considering performance per $$). I honestly think we are still 3-5 years away from being at a point where games will make me care about RT. In the meantime, I would love to pick up the Sapphire Nitro, but I'll see how this reference version does first.
The XTX is $1000+, you meet XT.

I have a different reason for wanting an RX 7500. :) I have a GTX 1650 but I saw videos on Youtube talking about different pros/cons of Nvidia/AMD. So I decided when I buy an RX 7500 I could put the GTX 1650 in another machine. Why? Because if one game has a glitch on Nvidia or vice versa, I could just switch machines (as long as I can easily use the same game in my Epic Games account on another machine).

AMD has design flaws with the reference cards - and iirc, they tried to deny/hide the 'contact with cooler' issue - they're just as evil/greedy as Nvidia and just as deceptive. Plus, their cards are overpriced and every one of you who are buying the new AMD and Nvidia cards are NOT HELPING ANYBODY. Thanks for nothing, ppl.

AMD has design flaws with the reference cards - and iirc, they tried to deny/hide the 'contact with cooler' issue - they're just as evil/greedy as Nvidia and just as deceptive. Plus, their cards are overpriced and every one of you who are buying the new AMD and Nvidia cards are NOT HELPING ANYBODY. Thanks for nothing, ppl.
Interesting claim there. Have any proof to back it up, since it does actually appear to be an issue with not enough water in some of the reference based XTX coolers?

Pretty sure AMD verified it was not a design flaw with the reference cards, it was a manufacturing defect on a few batches of coolers that did not have enough enough water in the vapor chamber impacting a small percentage of cards. I've heard reports all over the place from 1-11% of reference cards are impacted, but I do not think the official number has been revealed. Also the market has spoken about the XTX right now, the cards are sold out everywhere, same as the 4090 and both those cards are priced about the same as the cards they replaced (6900XT was $999 and 3090 was $1499 at launch), so being overpriced is up for interpretation. Now the XT absolutely is overpriced as it is essentially the successor to the 6800XT which launched at $649 and likewise, so are the 4080 and 4070ti overpriced. But the market has also spoken with those cards and they are not selling well, so maybe we will eventually see some price drops, someday.

There's no design flaw on the reference cards. There was a batch of the initial cards that simply didn't have enough water added during manufacturing in the vapor chamber. They never claimed the issue was anything but that (although forum "experts" were speculating everything from heatplate contact to interdimensional aliens as the cause). AMD is accepting RMAs for these card.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2023/how-many-amd-rx-7900-xtxs-are-defective

It's just 'a few' cards, though. /s Obviously, the QC AMD did was significantly lacking and there isn't an organized response to this - as ppl are running through hoops to get it resolved. Maybe, the response has been rectified (updated? I dunno and don't care) - but, it's still unacceptable. I know, Nvidia is no better and has their own issues. It's a bad situation. I guess that is why I would look at used - although, that has a series of concerns, also.

You know when they say sooner or later you have to shoot the engineer? Well, this shows why they moved too fast (both of them).

AMD shills? I have had both for a while. Internet is speculation ground, its king on the net. Everyone is going to dissect everything.

I have run across 4 reference models. Out of those 4 one had the issue which I returned as defective and got my money back. So from my personal experience everyone wants to get them hits. Okay you have a card with issue, return it get your money back and get something else. is it an issue? sure.

Just not jumping to conclusions is not everyone's thing and doesn't make one a shill. Especially this thing about driver killing cards and they all happened to show up at one shop, guy failed to ask the most important question where did they come from? The most obvious was his common factor, no shit everyone is going to be using same driver. That is not a common factor that is more like a default factor just shows majority update their drivers.

AMD released new drivers for the 7 series.....but not for anything else. Guess they need to hire more crew for the drivers teams? My 6600 XT has had really poor video playback in Edge, for weeks. Also, the mouse pointer dissappears, when I mouse over the address bar.

Funny thing is, they had the same problems in Firefox and fixed that. and then the problem somehow flipped over into Chromium browsers.

IKR? That person... lol.

I've not had an AMD desktop GPU since the 4870X2. However, I did seriously consider an AIB 7900XTX. It just so happens that I managed to get a 4090 FE first.

AMD released new drivers for the 7 series.....but not for anything else. Guess they need to hire more crew for the drivers teams? My 6600 XT has had really poor video playback in Edge, for weeks. Also, the mouse pointer dissappears, when I mouse over the address bar.

Funny thing is, they had the same problems in Firefox and fixed that. and then the problem somehow flipped over into Chromium browsers.

have a 6700xt in a computer with none of those issues with latest driver available. You using windows 10 or 11?

have a 6700xt in a computer with none of those issues with latest driver available. You using windows 10 or 11?
Video playback issues in Chromium browsers, are listed in the "known issues", for one or two drivers, now.

Last edited:
AMD shills? I have had both for a while. Internet is speculation ground, its king on the net. Everyone is going to dissect everything.

I have run across 4 reference models. Out of those 4 one had the issue which I returned as defective and got my money back. So from my personal experience everyone wants to get them hits. Okay you have a card with issue, return it get your money back and get something else. is it an issue? sure.

Just not jumping to conclusions is not everyone's thing and doesn't make one a shill. Especially this thing about driver killing cards and they all happened to show up at one shop, guy failed to ask the most important question where did they come from? The most obvious was his common factor, no shit everyone is going to be using same driver. That is not a common factor that is more like a default factor just shows majority update their drivers.
Yeah, you're right -re: the driver issue - it's a bit suspicious that the cards are all from the same group or whatever. But, I was saying 'it looks like a flaw' - and INITIALLY - REPORTS CAME OUT that AMD was trying to avoid RMAs. Now, they are at least providing options to get refunds. But, there were a bunch of ppl who were claiming it wasn't smooth at the start.
Some guys on youtube are demonstrating valid tests - and it does look like a design flaw or at least on some cards. Maybe it's just a certain batch or a bunch of cards - it's difficult to know if lots of buyers are just requesting refunds and no one releases a number on that? A few ppl who replied to me just brushed things off - so, I replied accordingly.

youre a couple a weeks late on that, its been addressed, acknowledging that is not shilling.
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-rx-radeon-7900-xtx-failure-rate-would-be-11-opposed-to-1.html

LOL. Depends on what you mean by 'it's been addressed.' I don't agree.

Edit: My initial complaint was reports of AMD initially attempting to avoid the problem - maybe they hoped it would be a few cards and not enough 'noise' to cause a 'problem?' I think one poster seemed really obnoxious and wanted 'proof.' At least one other poster or maybe 2 had similar replies - and it sounded to me like they wanted jobs with AMD - PR-sounding stuff.

https://wccftech.com/amd-declines-r...-junction-temps-says-temperatures-are-normal/

https://www.techspot.com/community/...or-chamber-causing-overheating-offers.278588/

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Boili...0-C-junction-temperature-normal.677148.0.html

Most of these big companies do NOT ADDRESS ISSUES - if they feel forced or caught - then they do. They are not trying to help customers - they are trying to gain profit and reduce expenditures and costs. GN and Hardware Unboxed have 'exposed' a few companies trying to get away with stuff - and then they backpedal (some get angry first and blacklist the channel either temporarily or permanently)....anyway, the point is - shame on AMD - and Nvidia does this stuff, too. They all do. The QC was garbage - I posted the video of the German guy testing the card - because AMD has money - they could have got someone to test cards. That should have been uncovered before release, imho.

So, yeah 'they addressed this....???' - Bah, bs.

Last edited:
Last edited:
https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-rx-radeon-7900-xtx-failure-rate-would-be-11-opposed-to-1.html

LOL. Depends on what you mean by 'it's been addressed.' I don't agree.

Edit: My initial complaint was reports of AMD initially attempting to avoid the problem - maybe they hoped it would be a few cards and not enough 'noise' to cause a 'problem?' I think one poster seemed really obnoxious and wanted 'proof.' At least one other poster or maybe 2 had similar replies - and it sounded to me like they wanted jobs with AMD - PR-sounding stuff.

https://wccftech.com/amd-declines-r...-junction-temps-says-temperatures-are-normal/

https://www.techspot.com/community/...or-chamber-causing-overheating-offers.278588/

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Boili...0-C-junction-temperature-normal.677148.0.html

Most of these big companies do NOT ADDRESS ISSUES - if they feel forced or caught - then they do. They are not trying to help customers - they are trying to gain profit and reduce expenditures and costs. GN and Hardware Unboxed have 'exposed' a few companies trying to get away with stuff - and then they backpedal (some get angry first and blacklist the channel either temporarily or permanently)....anyway, the point is - shame on AMD - and Nvidia does this stuff, too. They all do. The QC was garbage - I posted the video of the German guy testing the card - because AMD has money - they could have got someone to test cards. That should have been uncovered before release, imho.

So, yeah 'they addressed this....???' - Bah, bs.
why is this such a mission for you? you work for nvidia?

why is this such a mission for you? you work for nvidia?
He doesn’t realize how uncommon this issue is and how complicated it might be to detect. I am sure they test card and it boots and rest is good even in open air vertical position it probably isn’t detected during testing even if they ran a game benchmark. This has never been an issue with vapor chamber before in reference cards.

It’s probably something that doesn’t show up until the cards are in user hands if there was issue of the production batch.

He doesn’t realize how uncommon this issue is and how complicated it might be to detect. I am sure they test card and it boots and rest is good even in open air vertical position it probably isn’t detected during testing even if they ran a game benchmark. This has never been an issue with vapor chamber before in reference cards.

It’s probably something that doesn’t show up until the cards are in user hands if there was issue of the production batch.
Fine. Yes, the average gamer who doesn't read hardware reports or keep up to date on the hardware news (doesn't watch videos) won't know anything. But, it's on enough well known sources - online articles, videos etc. Also, my critique wasn't on whether it was common or not but AMD's handling of it - but, they 'addressed it' eventually.
Anyway, I don't want to argue about it anymore so that's my last word on it. Enjoy your cards.

You just wanna blow things up. Lot of people are not having any issues. Those with issue can simply return it as DOA.

I had the 110c issue on my 7900xtx. I knew nearly immediately there was an issue (junction temp ramping up to the thermal limit within two minutes and throttling is not by design on any electronic device I've ever seen), and had figured out early on it was the cooler that was the culprit. Returned it, no questions asked for a refund. Done.

I then picked up a 4080 that had bad VRAM. Returned that too. A bit annoying to have to return a second card this gen, but ok.

Finally, I was able to find an AIB 7900xtx which runs like a bandit and keeps cool.

I had the 110c issue on my 7900xtx. I knew nearly immediately there was an issue (junction temp ramping up to the thermal limit within two minutes and throttling is not by design on any electronic device I've ever seen), and had figured out early on it was the cooler that was the culprit. Returned it, no questions asked for a refund. Done.

I then picked up a 4080 that had bad VRAM. Returned that too. A bit annoying to have to return a second card this gen, but ok.

Finally, I was able to find an AIB 7900xtx which runs like a bandit and keeps cool.
Same here. I wanted a ref for my sons system. I have sold a few here after trying it out. Currently have another ref in my own system without issues while I wait for ref devil that I finally scored on Amazon (can’t believe it) finally got past check out. Really amazed that one is only 1049 lmao.

The one I finally got for my sons system had the junction temp issue. 3 before no issue. I told BB to report it as defective and not resell it. He did and I did see him notate, heat issue, runs too hot and known issue according to supplier. Which was good to see.

I think amd hasn’t dropped any for a bit probably because they plugged the issue that put them behind on reference. Have seen some partner drop them still.

But lot of AIB action lately. So after market cards are being pumped pretty hard right now. Specially red devil and xfx merc.

Last edited:
Back