Anybody plan on grabbing one of the new RX7xxx Navi cards on launch?

probably worth waiting a month after release to hear about what kind of issues people report on forums. many things don't show up in reviews.

Something about the refresh was mentioned on Gamer Meld(probably got it from somewhere else because he tends to just repeat what other channels say.) Said the new top AMD card is supposed to be the 7990 XT(X) with 96 CUs, clocks of 3.3-3.6 GHz, 24 GB 384 bit VRAM. 192 MB infinity cache, and have a TBP of 405. So if this is coming up. I probably should just wait.

Something about the refresh was mentioned on Gamer Meld(probably got it from somewhere else because he tends to just repeat what other channels say.) Said the new top AMD card is supposed to be the 7990 XT(X) with 96 CUs, clocks of 3.3-3.6 GHz, 24 GB 384 bit VRAM. 192 MB infinity cache, and have a TBP of 405. So if this is coming up. I probably should just wait.
I have a bridge to sell you...

speculation, I am not waiting and will be trying to get a reference 7900xtx.

well, 2 weeks left, I will wait for sapphire anyway, I don't really care if they sell a bit above MSRP. but I'm not buying an nvidia card ever. I really think they are an anti-consumer garbage company with 0 real innovation. cough cough 3060 8GB...

well, 2 weeks left, I will wait for sapphire anyway, I don't really care if they sell a bit above MSRP. but I'm not buying an nvidia card ever. I really think they are an anti-consumer garbage company with 0 real innovation. cough cough 3060 8GB...
I agree...and that's why you see what you do in my sig. ;)

But, on-topic, I'm leaning, hard, to the 7900 XTX based on the small price difference between that and 7900 XT.

Edited to add: Of course, I'll be waiting for reviews, first.

I agree...and that's why you see what you do in my sig. ;)

But, on-topic, I'm leaning, hard, to the 7900 XTX based on the small price difference between that and 7900 XT.

Edited to add: Of course, I'll be waiting for reviews, first.

Wonder if the AIB's are going to muck this product launch up. AIB Card costs out of China are putting the XTX within a few hundred of 4090's. Which would be a complete non-starter if that holds true here in NA. If a 7900XTX is going to cost me $250 to $300 under a 4090, I'm just going to get the 4090. Full stop. Hopefully this doesnt pan out.

Wonder if the AIB's are going to muck this product launch up. AIB Card costs out of China are putting the XTX within a few hundred of 4090's. Which would be a complete non-starter if that holds true here in NA. If a 7900XTX is going to cost me $250 to $300 under a 4090, I'm just going to get the 4090. Full stop. Hopefully this doesnt pan out.
Is there something wrong with the reference 7900XTX? Agree, anything over $1199 would be a non starter unless it comes out of the box with 3ghz speeds or something very high. Just have to wait and see.

Is there something wrong with the reference 7900XTX? Agree, anything over $1199 would be a non starter unless it comes out of the box with 3ghz speeds or something very high. Just have to wait and see.
Doesn't everyone know by now that AMD does not have the capacity to release mass quantities of, well anything on the consumer side really? Reference models will likely be few and extremely far between. Hell, Ryzen 7000 CPUs are the only thing not running into this problem, and that's only because they can hardly sell them. :facepalm:

Likely seem under performant outta the gate until drivers mature to the new architecture. I'll wait for a used one as my 6900 still gets it done just fine.

Just supply and abiliy to resupply. Neither amd nor nvidia have a strong track record of this over the last few years obviously…

Just supply and abiliy to resupply. Neither amd nor nvidia have a strong track record of this over the last few years obviously…
Ps5 and Xbox is not competing against zen 4 and rnda3 dies. Unlike before. Plus as mentioned Zen 4 is selling slow. Plus AMD can get way more GCDs per 5nm die over what Nvidia has. Yields should be better than Nvidia's.

Unless AMD muffs it, there should be plenty of rnda 3 GPU's for cards.

Doesn't everyone know by now that AMD does not have the capacity to release mass quantities of, well anything on the consumer side really? Reference models will likely be few and extremely far between. Hell, Ryzen 7000 CPUs are the only thing not running into this problem, and that's only because they can hardly sell them. :facepalm:

Typical hot take from zerobrains.

AMD is TSMCs second largest customer behind Apple, and only has two products on 5nm, zen4 (which is selling just fine in enterprise) and rdna3.

Zen3 availability was great for almost all of covid, except a spike early on when scalpers thought there was money to be made. Small die means low cost, low scrap and more availability.

That's in addition to all of the 7nm that's freed up by moving away from zen3 and navi 21 and will now be used for Xbox/ps.

Availability will go up on all skus and will certainly be higher than 4000 series.

Reactions: noko
like this
Not sure where you are getting your information from, or are just making it up.

AMD's Ref card quantity on launch day will outstrip 4080 inventory levels by about 10%, with a lot more behind that for AIB models. Chinese New Year is "early" this year and is likely to impact how these flow into the channel. AMD will have way more GPUs than 4080 and 4090 combined at least at this point.

AMD's Ref card quantity on launch day will outstrip 4080 inventory levels by about 10%, with a lot more behind that for AIB models. Chinese New Year is "early" this year and is likely to impact how these flow into the channel. AMD will have way more GPUs than 4080 and 4090 combined at least at this point.
That all said, I expect AMD ref cards to sell out on first/second day.

Not getting my info anywhere, just reading the writing that's been on the wall for over 2 years now.

1670369559169.png

With the move to chiplet arch, production capacity is likely less of an issue for them than before. But having improved production capacity doesn't mean printing as many GPU dies as possible would actually make business sense beyond a certain point. They have to balance and optimize fab time so that GPU dies are being produced, but not needlessly displacing production for other products that may also be more profitable (server/datacenter), etc. The cost-benefit-analyses these companies do factor a ton of variables.

Last edited:
I'm on board for a 7900xt if I can get a reference card, but I'm not paying a red cent above $1k/£1k.

It's generally what I was hoping out of this gen for AMD: >50% rasterization increase over prior gen, and improved/Ampere-level RT performance. The only turd in my drink is the price, and I suspect resellers are going to be jacking up beyond MSRP.

I'm on board for a 7900xt if I can get a reference card, but I'm not paying a red cent above $1k/£1k.

It's generally what I was hoping out of this gen for AMD: >50% rasterization increase over prior gen, and improved/Ampere-level RT performance. The only turd in my drink is the price, and I suspect resellers are going to be jacking up beyond MSRP.
Just order straight from the AMD shop.

Not possible in the UK where AMD doesn't sell reference cards. The only way to get a ref card here (and only the rebranded AIB ref cards) is through a reseller who nearly always jack up the price.

Last time, trying to get a 6900XT at AMD store was a frustrating waste of time of available but not being able to get in cart, get in cart and not able to buy etc. Ended up with an AIB model later. I hope AMD store is more functional this time around. Not saying some were not able to immediately buy and obtain a card, my experience just was not good.

Getting close, more exciting than the Lovelace launch. Still all the same, need good reviews and then the why I need yet another card.
So I listed the Pros and Cons for me so far with the 7900XTX
Pros
  • Size, it will fit and not some stupid nonsense big ass cooler card
  • No dongles or adaptors needed
  • I Like AMD drivers, mostly the interface way better than Nvidia's, more useful features
  • Expected performance is 50%+ over what I have, making it a reasonable upgrade
  • Price is much more reasonable if it performs as indicated, surprises are also welcome
  • DP2.1 -> Longevity and more options for future monitors
Cons
  • Don't need it, games I play are running rather well
  • It may just out strip or out pace my 120hz 4K monitor in most cases making the extra performance mute
  • Waiting can potentially lead to a better card/buy when I actually could use a better card
  • Nvidia 4090 appears to be faster with better RT (if that really matters) -> at the same time, ridicules pricing, gimmicks, size of cards . . .
  • Feeding a potentially bad habit of buying stuff I don't really need or will enjoy as much as one should
  • Taking away from someone else in buying one who could enjoy it much better
Conclusion: Probably not but that could change based upon reviews.

Looking the 3DMark numbers, the 7800XT and 4070 (4080) are basically equal; 7900xtx around 10% above 4070 (4080). Not unexpected, and of course, not an exact representation of in-game performance:

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-a...0-xt-3dmark-timespy-firestrikes-scores-are-in

Remember though, these are base clocks, and AIBs are supposedly going a good deal higher. I don't think this is going to massively adjust the pricing from nV, maybe $100 drop: they're going to hold fast in the belief the market laps up RT advantages and the brand.

Looking the 3DMark numbers, the 7800XT and 4070 (4080) are basically equal; 7900xtx around 10% above 4070 (4080). Not unexpected, and of course, not an exact representation of in-game performance:

https://videocardz.com/newz/first-a...0-xt-3dmark-timespy-firestrikes-scores-are-in

Remember though, these are base clocks, and AIBs are supposedly going a good deal higher. I don't think this is going to massively adjust the pricing from nV, maybe $100 drop: they're going to hold fast in the belief the market laps up RT advantages and the brand.
Remember, that's only in firestrike. Time spy shows it down a few percent vs the 16gb 4080. Amd RDNA 2 cards have worse raster performance than their 3dmark scores would let onto compared to ampere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that with RDNA 3 vs Ada this time, where 3dmark shows favorably for amd but actual 4k gaming is worse than the Nvidia counterpart.

Then we have Cuda, gpt, raytracing, dlss 2, dlss 3 frame gen picking up steam rapidly, and nvenc quality and performance for shadow play. Things aren't looking good for the 7900XTX to me, as a total package.

Remember, that's only in firestrike. Time spy shows it down a few percent vs the 16gb 4080. Amd RDNA 2 cards have worse raster performance than their 3dmark scores would let onto compared to ampere.

I wouldn't be surprised to see that with RDNA 3 vs Ada this time, where 3dmark shows favorably for amd but actual 4k gaming is worse than the Nvidia counterpart.

Then we have Cuda, gpt, raytracing, dlss 2, dlss 3 frame gen picking up steam rapidly, and nvenc quality and performance for shadow play. Things aren't looking good for the 7900XTX to me, as a total package.
I expect 4k performance not to take as much hit on RNDA 3 as 2 due to the 2x operations for floating point 32 per shader, equivalent to Ampere/Lovelace Arch. Unless Amd cannot feed the shaders right.

What is holding back the 7900 series appears to be clock speed being under targeted design of 3000mhz+. Loss of 20%+.

AMD FluidMotion, whatever that will be is forthcoming whenever. Maybe as worthless or worthwhile as frame generation. AMD has dual encoders which need to be evaluated against nvenc. Just too much is not known or tested at this time. Maybe in a few days we get a better scoop. Definitely, if you use your GPU for rendering, Nvidia has a very clear advantage, while the double pump fp32 now on AMD should help trendmendously, software wise it is way behind.

Back