Anybody plan on grabbing one of the new RX7xxx Navi cards on launch?

mlcarson

Limp Gawd
I still have a 1080TI card and am thinking that the new RDNA3 release will finally be the time to update. I'm running Linux so don't want to roll with Nvidia this time around. Hard to know what the real performance and prices will be before launch but I suspect that they should all exceed my current card's performance at this point since it's 5 1/2 years old.

All of the excitement seems to be on the Nvidia side. Anybody really looking forward to this release?

Mini tirade... Not really, here. Let's see if they have good things for us, but I doubt it. Drivers remain an issue (I've been burnt every time I try amd, myself), no DLSS 2 (just the less adopted and lesser quality fsr2), no DLSS 3 (which frame generation from end users is working well on single player games, and I bet it would work great for mmorpg titles), likely much slower raytracing still, and their video recording is still way worse than nvenc/shadowplay. Just my experiences and thoughts no need to defend the queen over 'em :).

Personally, I'm sticking with my 3080 for now, and either upgrading on the refresh or next gen past this one as it's doing well for me still. Since and including the HD 4870, I've always found amd cards underwhelming when I've tried them since. :(

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a huge price drop on 6900 XT's on the used market personally.

While it's almost certain AMD will get a 40% uplift on their top end cards, the new market just makes no sense to me at this point. I think AMD will have reasonably competitive cards. I imagine they're trail nVidia by 10-15% and also have a commensurate lower price.
I would be sincerely shocked if they are able to compete 1:1. And even more shocked if they can compete 1:1 at the same power draw.

However, I think it's a SUPER idiotic idea to talk about buying anything you literally know nothing about. No offense to you, but hype threads like this are the thing that drive uninformed sales (this is how all pre-orders work...). If the next cards cost $1500 for a 20% uplift, you'd be an idiot to buy one. And you literally don't know if that's going to be the case or not yet.
It's far better to simply wait and see what the cards actually perform like with third party verification and testing. So no, I don't plan on buying one. It would be foolish to plan on getting anything without knowing what it is I'm actually getting.

Personally, I'm sticking with my 3080 for now...
Bruh, you're on a 3080. There isn't urgency even for you to upgrade to an nVidia 4000 card lol.

However, I think it's a SUPER idiotic idea to talk about buying anything you literally know nothing about. No offense to you, but hype threads like this are the thing that drive uninformed sales (this is how all pre-orders work...). If the next cards cost $1500 for a 20% uplift, you'd be an idiot to buy one. And you literally don't know if that's going to be the case or not yet.
It's far better to simply wait and see what the cards actually perform like with third party verification and testing. So no, I don't plan on buying one. It would be foolish to plan on getting anything without knowing what it is I'm actually getting.
Well, when you're multiple generations behind and know that even a 6800XT (previous generation AMD) would be an upgrade -- it's not really speculating much to anticipate that the next generation will have something better than the existing generation of cards.

I'm hoping for a huge price drop on 6900 XT's on the used market personally.

While it's almost certain AMD will get a 40% uplift on their top end cards, the new market just makes no sense to me at this point. I think AMD will have reasonably competitive cards. I imagine they're trail nVidia by 10-15% and also have a commensurate lower price.
I would be sincerely shocked if they are able to compete 1:1. And even more shocked if they can compete 1:1 at the same power draw.

Bruh, you're on a 3080. There isn't urgency even for you to upgrade to an nVidia 4000 card lol.
Couple reasons only for next gen GPU. VR and high resolution/ framerate gaming.

Well, when you're multiple generations behind and know that even a 6800XT (previous generation AMD) would be an upgrade
A 6800xt ≠ 6900xt. I'm currently using a Radeon VII. I don't really game much, the upgrade is mostly about compute/rendering for me. I don't even need to upgrade. It would 'just be nice'.
-- it's not really speculating much to anticipate that the next generation will have something better than the existing generation of cards.
You quoted me without even really responding to the full aspect of my response. If it's only 20% faster than a 6900XT and costs $1500, would you be excited? That's enough for you to be excited about it? Yes it will be "faster" but faster by how much and how much will it cost to obtain that additional speed?
How am I supposed to be excited about something that doesn't give me at least those two variables? And that's ignoring all other aspects of the card like power draw or size or loudness.

EDIT: Also there is this thread discussing RDNA3. You may also try looking outside of the GPU sub-forum.

Last edited:
All depends on performance / price, AMD drivers are pretty good these days so I'm not sure I get the complaints anymore. I used a 3060 ti at home for a while, and I have a 5700 xt at my office. Both are totally fine. I don't care about DLSS 3, and FSR 2.0 seems okay but not as good as DLSS 2.0. If the regular raster performance is outstanding and they have 3000 level RT performance it might be a good buy. But who knows what they're going to deliver.

The 6800xt is the first card that would be an upgrade to the 1080TI (the card that I owned and posted about). I'm not sure what you're even getting at here with 6800xt <> 6900xt. The next generation of RDNA3 cards are going to be faster than the 6900XT too or what would the point be?
I have no plans on getting the RX7900 because it'll be too expensive for my tastes. The RX7700 or RX7800 would be more like what I'd normally purchase. If the RX7900 were $1000 though vs an RX7800 at $750 then maybe but I doubt that'd be the case. Pricing of the 6900XT has been pushed down to $670 so far and it'll probably fall like a rock on 11/3.
A 6800xt ≠ 6900xt. I'm currently using a Radeon VII. I don't really game much, the upgrade is mostly about compute/rendering for me. I don't even need to upgrade. It would 'just be nice'.

You quoted me without even really responding to the full aspect of my response. If it's only 20% faster than a 6900XT and costs $1500, would you be excited? That's enough for you to be excited about it? Yes it will be "faster" but faster by how much and how much will it cost to obtain that additional speed?
How am I supposed to be excited about something that doesn't give me at least those two variables? And that's ignoring all other aspects of the card like power draw or size or loudness.

EDIT: Also there is this thread discussing RDNA3. You may also try looking outside of the GPU sub-forum.

The 6800xt is the first card that would be an upgrade to the 1080TI (the card that I owned and posted about). I'm not sure what you're even getting at here with 6800xt <> 6900xt. The next generation of RDNA3 cards are going to be faster than the 6900XT too or what would the point be?
I have no plans on getting the RX7900 because it'll be too expensive for my tastes. The RX7700 or RX7800 would be more like what I'd normally purchase. If the RX7900 were $1000 though vs an RX7800 at $750 then maybe but I doubt that'd be the case. Pricing of the 6900XT has been pushed down to $670 so far and it'll probably fall like a rock on 11/3.
Wait till RDNA3 launch and see. mlcarson is saying 6800XTs and 6900XTs have similar performance. Mine has proven to have good OC headroom to outrun a 6800XT, but that's not necessarily the norm.

Mini tirade... Not really, here. Let's see if they have good things for us, but I doubt it. Drivers remain an issue (I've been burnt every time I try amd, myself), no DLSS 2 (just the less adopted and lesser quality fsr2), no DLSS 3 (which frame generation from end users is working well on single player games, and I bet it would work great for mmorpg titles), likely much slower raytracing still, and their video recording is still way worse than nvenc/shadowplay. Just my experiences and thoughts no need to defend the queen over 'em :).

Personally, I'm sticking with my 3080 for now, and either upgrading on the refresh or next gen past this one as it's doing well for me still. Since and including the HD 4870, I've always found amd cards underwhelming when I've tried them since. :(
been running AMD and NV both since the gtx 680 and in SLI/CFX till the 1080 ti and you get driver issues now and then on both in about the same amount
now in SLI/CFX NV did have a advantage till about the 290x

now with single card it doesn't matter at all and Adrenalin makes nvidia control panel look like crap

i want to see the 7950 xt till then my 3080 ti and 6900xt are fine

been running AMD and NV both since the gtx 680 and in SLI/CFX till the 1080 ti and you get driver issues now and then on both in about the same amount

now with single card it doesn't matter at all and Adrenalin makes nvidia control panel look like crap

Yeah I don't buy the driver argument either, they're both rock solid for me the last 3 or so years. DLSS 2.0 + 3.0 are an improvement over FSR 2.1, but not enough for me to care.

Yeah I don't buy the driver argument either, they're both rock solid for me the last 3 or so years. DLSS 2.0 + 3.0 are an improvement over FSR 2.1, but not enough for me to care.

I always see people say this and I wonder what games they play. 6900XT was unbearable for me. Problems with literally everything except a select few AAA titles, usually in the form of a refusal to go into 3D mode because their drivers can't seem to detect a game being launched. I spent more time searching how to get games to run than I spent enjoying them and the whole thing was generally infuriating.

Since stock of 4090 is apparently unicorn farts, I'm just going to wait for the 7000 series to drop and see how it is. RT performance is a must for me (I find it ironic saying this because I thought RT was stupid for a long time but now I can't "unsee" it).

been running AMD and NV both since the gtx 680 and in SLI/CFX till the 1080 ti and you get driver issues now and then
Pretty much the same. I've been 50/50 ever since my 9800GT and can say both sides gave me annoying hiccups at times.

AMD has such a small install base that I find it hard to believe everyone knows "a friend" who ALWAYS has driver issues.

I always see people say this and I wonder what games they play. 6900XT was unbearable for me. Problems with literally everything except a select few AAA titles, usually in the form of a refusal to go into 3D mode because their drivers can't seem to detect a game being launched. I spent more time searching how to get games to run than I spent enjoying them and the whole thing was generally infuriating.

Since stock of 4090 is apparently unicorn farts, I'm just going to wait for the 7000 series to drop and see how it is. RT performance is a must for me (I find it ironic saying this because I thought RT was stupid for a long time but now I can't "unsee" it).
I've literally never heard of that from anyone ever until today. I've played RDR 2, GTA V, RE2 & 3 Remake, Control, Gears 4 & 5, Halo Infinite, D2R, Crash Bandicoot remake, Trine series all on a 5700 xt without much issue. I got it fairly early, so for the first year or so it did crash on occasionally (black screen), but we're talking once a week maybe? But I have it in my work computer now, after the first year it's been rock solid and it's great for Unity. I can't speak to the 6900 xt, so I don't know. I've had similar problems with nvidia in the past (crashing), but the 3060 ti was great pretty much right away. It did crash occasionally, but I don't know if that's just game / system instability or the drivers. The AMD crash was a well known bug at the time.

Last edited:
Ive had my 6900XT for over a year now with zero driver issues. I play new games, old games, 2D, 3D, even old stuff in emulators. never had an issue with any of my games not playing or having crashes. This coming from a system I previously had a 1080Ti in and just ran DDU and put the 6900XT in.

Upon launch, nope. Have to see what it has. Monitor first then if needed a new GPU.

Frankly prefer AMD drivers over Nvidia's. Both are relatively fine. AMD, be right in the game and you can bring up anything in the drivers, I like to OC right in the game and see immediately results. Hell you can bring up a web browser for a quick cheat. Use your phone/tablet to monitor, start video record or take pictures or stream the game to it. Profiles including OCing per game.

Nvidia now has a very limited OCing utility which does not seem to work with my EVGA 3090. Their UI is hot garbage. Except Nvidia supports VRR on my Sony TV (finally got it to work) AMD does not. In general RT is better with Nvidia.

Each have strong points, choose wisely or buy both :D

What's of some interest is that, in this upcoming gen, ps5-level specs will finally be reaching traditional lower mid-range prices.

Hands down. got a 4090. The fact that Nvidia still doesn't have it updated is annoying as hell. Its beyond me they haven't just made geforce experience the only thing and integrate the controls in it. Just have one app lmao.

In general I've been leaning toward NV this cycle because I quite enjoy raytraced games, but I am deeply curious what AMD brings to the table and with NV's supply issues, I've no issue waiting for AMD's at-bat. If they are compelling in price-performance-efficiency then they may win my business. I'd love to see more competition.

Yes this time around could be even more interesting than last gen. Hoping for a 50% performance boost of my 6900XT at reasonable price/power consumption levels. That will be what it takes to get in my pocket this round.

Ive had my 6900XT for over a year now with zero driver issues. I play new games, old games, 2D, 3D, even old stuff in emulators. never had an issue with any of my games not playing or having crashes. This coming from a system I previously had a 1080Ti in and just ran DDU and put the 6900XT in.
Same here. I actually like AMD's drivers, much better than Nvidia's.

If I get ~2X raster, I will likely grab the lower end 7900 SKU on day one.

Didn't you have the same problem with a 3070ti as well? I remember your posts, you had all sorts of weird performance issues that people couldn't replicate. It sure seemed, and seems, like it was your setup vs the card.

On topic, it depends. I don't think I own any games with RT besides CP2077, and I still don't think this is the generation where it takes over, so probably not a huge factor for me. Same with upscaling, I've only turned it on once (Spiderman, terrible TAA implementation). Raster power and maybe good recording performance/quality.

I think you have bigger problems there than a video card.

Didn't you have the same problem with a 3070ti as well? I remember your posts, you had all sorts of weird performance issues that people couldn't replicate. It sure seemed, and seems, like it was your setup vs the card.

On topic, it depends. I don't think I own any games with RT besides CP2077, and I still don't think this is the generation where it takes over, so probably not a huge factor for me. Same with upscaling, I've only turned it on once (Spiderman, terrible TAA implementation). Raster power and maybe good recording performance/quality.
That was a different machine, I still have the 3070ti though.

Do we know when the reviews embargo lift ?, seem common to be zero minute before launch or almost nowadays

Do we know when the reviews embargo lift ?, seem common to be zero minute before launch or almost nowadays
I'd like to give you an answer, but we don't even know what they're announcing yet, just rumors. Hopefully we'll know more come November 3rd, exciting times. I suspect it'll be the 7900 XT, 7800 XT and the plain 7800, which will mirror the last generation. Part of me is hoping they just do away with non-xt models, there were barely any 6800s produced last generation anyway.

Last edited:
It depends on what they can come up with, If the performance is good and the price is right I am willing to give the red team a try.

depending on performance/price. currently lost interest in team green cards because of crappy pricings

Depends, has AMD bothered to fix the HDMI flickering issues which plagues the 6000 series?

Can't say I'm really feeling the hype for this latest round of hardware releases. There hasn't been a game release lately that has really worked my 3080 (in fact, I'm sure I would've been fine holding onto my 2080S).

I dunno, maybe the lack of availability, lack of software, and high MSRP of the previous gen ate into my enthusiasm, but it feels to me the most exciting part of the new GPU releases are their upscaling tech.

I might get rid of my FE 4090 if I can snag one and its 2x raster and decent in ray tracing. My 4090 won't do 165hz over hdmi 2.1 on my ARK 55. Its capped at 120hz. I plugged in my 6600xt i am doing 4k 10bit 165hz lmao. I am going that route. AMD seems to have much less issues from what I read with supporting right hz for monitors especially samsung. Every time I see an issue with samsung monitor people not getting correct frequency it seems to be nvidia related.

So far if RDNA3 gives 2x raster I am moving to it. That and this power adapter needing bending cuz the damn card is so big otherwise I have to use it without case panel and I am sure these 90 degree adapters will be scalped at hard. (thanks nvidia) lmao.

Plus AMD control panel is nights and day vs Nvidia. Seriously nvidia is still living in 19th century.

This is my 6600xt on Samsung ARK lmao doing 10bit 4k.

1666669075063.png

had a 6600xt for a few weeks in my system that I passed on to my son. no such issue, I don't where this plague exists.
RX 6800, using all 3 display ports and the HDMI, HDMI port monitor, switched between the 4 I have and happens randomly when gaming or using other things that use the GPU like browsers, plenty of reports of it online and AMD was supposed to fix it in past drivers...still not happened, some peoples fix is to disable freesync entirely for those with one on the HDMI port, but mine does not support it, so no fix there.

RX 6800, using all 3 display ports and the HDMI, HDMI port monitor, switched between the 4 I have and happens randomly when gaming or using other things that use the GPU like browsers, plenty of reports of it online and AMD was supposed to fix it in past drivers...still not happened.

Never happened with me. May be its a windows version thing. I used it on you tube etc, everyting. Never one flicker.

Depends, has AMD bothered to fix the HDMI flickering issues which plagues the 6000 series?
Had flickering problem both on a 6900XT and 3080Ti when using HDR 4k 120hz. Turned out to be a subpar cable issue. Bought two of the same cables, 8K rated, HDMI 2.1 Ultimate. . . ZESKIT cable that fits snuggly into the socket was the cure. These garbage cables on the 3090 would constantly blank out above 60hz, 120hz a blank screen.

In my case, crap cables and not AMD or Nvidia issue. Reviews of AMD or Nvidia GPUs would have caught a consistent issue like this.

I would be more interested in a 7950 XT, if AMD will release sometime in the next 6 months.

Back