Anybody mess with Dolby Vision UHD (non-DV Profile 5) files? Got some questions...

staknhalo

Supreme [H]ardness
Starting to figure out how to add Dolby Vision files to my Plex Server. I know MakeMKV can make DV mkv files now and Plex can play them - but I specifically got some questions about muxing the 2 hevc layers into other DV profiles in a mp4/m4v container for broader native device DV compatibility playback - like native DV implementation via Windows PC with DV app installed from Windows Store (without Plex app), Apple TV (without Plex app), Plex app (regardless of platform), iPhone, and so on. I just like to keep my files as broadly compatible as possible. Any one here mess with/know about that stuff that I can bounce some questions off of?

Last edited:
PLEX does most of the hardwork for you. I have a couple dolby vision rips that it just transcodes to something usable for non dolby-vision compliant players. (This does require a LOT of computer resources, 40-50% of my 1080TI or 50%+ of my 3900X's entire 24 threads.)

Though I did recently find out that apparently using Handbrake was not accurately transcoding 10bit color, so i'd reccomend using Staxrip at the moment if ripping raw blu-rays directly.

PLEX does most of the hardwork for you. I have a couple dolby vision rips that it just transcodes to something usable for non dolby-vision compliant players. (This does require a LOT of computer resources, 40-50% of my 1080TI or 50%+ of my 3900X's entire 24 threads.)

Though I did recently find out that apparently using Handbrake was not accurately transcoding 10bit color, so i'd reccomend using Staxrip at the moment if ripping raw blu-rays directly.

My question is more about DV profile 8 compatibility and also getting the DV HDR10 BL within it to activate. I'm using Dolby MP4 muxer, doing everything right as described, but files come out with metadata saying that there's an HDR10 base layer, but the base layer never displays in HDR10 when DV disabled. When DV is enabled, it activates and displays the DV information correctly for the profile 8 file. Dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Plex can't convert DV or HDR to DV or HDR, it will only convert if it has to from DV or HDR to SDR, and there's a few different versions of DV. I'm trying to make it so I have broadest device compatibility playback in DV mode, seeing as Plex can't do that for me - it would just ensure the files plays, not in DV/HDR.

That I don't know, aside from in house streaming, due to the sheer bitrate of a 4k DV file, everything leaving the house has to be transcoded to lower quality for me.
I'm not as concerned with HDR at that point and "just works" is good enough for me.

I also don't actually have a single HDR monitor so I don't know how plex handles things through a browser, majority of my in house plex watching is through Nvidia Shield or Roku and I only have one screen that supports Dolby Vision.

Back