Anybody know how to evoke the Acer recovery partition?

Deadjasper

2[H]4U
I'm working on an Acer all in one that hangs just before the login screen. All hardware diags check out so I believe it's a corrupt windows 10. All the instructions I can find are to use alt F10. Problem is this method asks for a recovery image and gives no other option. The HD has a recovery partition. I'd like to use it but have no idea how and Mother Google doesn't seem to know either. Anybody her know?

TIA

You can run Windows Media Creation Tool. It will wipe the hard drive clean, download a new windows 10 and install it to the laptop. Also, it will automatically activate your laptop. This would be a quick and easy way. Also, it doesn't install any third party software from the vendor.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Video instruction on windows media creation

I can't get into windows so I'd have to do a fresh install using burned media. Will it still auto activate?

I can't get into windows so I'd have to do a fresh install using burned media. Will it still auto activate?
Not 'burned' a regular USB will do.

Windows 10 collects your device information and sends it to Microsoft so it will automatically detect the machine and activate.
You might want to back up the data using a linux live cd/usb before reinstalling Windows though.

Not 'burned' a regular USB will do.

Windows 10 collects your device information and sends it to Microsoft so it will automatically detect the machine and activate.
You might want to back up the data using a linux live cd/usb before reinstalling Windows though.

Thank you sir. I removed the HD and copied the data off in another box so all is good. :)

Windows 10 is installed and up and running. Thanks for the help guys.
Keep in mind that installing a hdd/ssd from another windows box to your own is extremely dangerous as you might get the infections residing on that drive to your own computer. It's highly recommended to back up any data using linux instead of Windows. It's literally akin to having sex without a condom with a stranger with a disease you can't recover from...

Keep in mind that installing a hdd/ssd from another windows box to your own is extremely dangerous as you might get the infections residing on that drive to your own computer. It's highly recommended to back up any data using linux instead of Windows. It's literally akin to having sex without a condom with a stranger with a disease you can't recover from...

Didn't make any HW changes. I did remove the HD to image it and run scandisk. And HD Sentinel.

Next time, you can try to get into recovery mode by pressing F8 at startup (good luck) and choosing to recover from a backup image.

Or you can boot into a Windows 10 ISO and there is an option to load recovery tools from there.

Either way, you read from the OEM restore partition.

I did not know that the license key was embedded in the BIOS. Now I do. :)
It's not in all machines... With Win10 there's no need to do it because the hardware signature is sent to MS from every box anyway.

Back