Anybody here still have a Abit board?

I loved my Abit board. I still have the ip35-e in the closet with (I think) a 3000+ or 3800+ socketed into it. I had both chips and sold one but don't remember which at this point. I put so many hours on that setup.

Yes. Three total. Have a Abit kr7a running my win98/voodoo4 rig in the other room right now. Plus another kr7a, and kg7 both in boxes.

rise, zombie thread, and feed on the nostalgia of your victims!

Attachments

• abit_av8.jpg
    abit_av8.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 0
BX6, BH6, BP6, IC7-G were all good, but IC7 was when they started going downhill just a tad.

Straight up though, the toughest, most rock solid and stable working motherboard I have ever tested (and I've tested alot) has the distinct honor of being the EPOX KP6-LA 440LX. Never have I had a tougher board. This board was spilled on, shaken, stirred, bios flashed, overclocked, fish fried, and even run 24 hrs continuously and never hiccuped, locked up, or broke down. If I ever find it in my moms closet I bet $500 it will still work and boot up.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 0
The good ole Abit Dayzz..Loved them..

As we all did. They were the best at the time for overclocking and pushing the chips (think Celeron 266, 300A, P2) but they did not have the stability. You often found yourself running them for a quick adrenaline benchmark run but when it came down to it to game, they let you down with a lockup here or there, maybe an incompatibility.

Whatever happened to Abit anyway? They were easily the most popular boards among enthusiasts in the late 90s.

Whatever happened to Abit anyway? They were easily the most popular boards among enthusiasts in the late 90s.
Wiki more or less covers it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit
But the really short answer is that motherboards are an incredibly competitive market and the margins are razor thin. There is a reason why Asus as an example (arguably their biggest competitor in their time) sells a ton of stuff other than motherboards. But as noted in the Wiki, embezzling is probably not the way for the future of any company.

To the statements in the thread though, Abit was and still is to a large degree my favorite mobo manufacturer of all time. Terrible shame when they left the market. Basically I learned pretty early on that the Abit boards were the best - and they actually supported their hardware unlike the nightmare that is Asus. The NF7 was fantastic. The VP6 might be the best 'inexpensive' dual processor board ever. But I owned quite a few boards from Abit and they were all great.

Wiki more or less covers it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit
But the really short answer is that motherboards are an incredibly competitive market and the margins are razor thin. There is a reason why Asus as an example (arguably their biggest competitor in their time) sells a ton of stuff other than motherboards. But as noted in the Wiki, embezzling is probably not the way for the future of any company.

To the statements in the thread though, Abit was and still is to a large degree my favorite mobo manufacturer of all time. Terrible shame when they left the market. Basically I learned pretty early on that the Abit boards were the best - and they actually supported their hardware unlike the nightmare that is Asus. The NF7 was fantastic. The VP6 might be the best 'inexpensive' dual processor board ever. But I owned quite a few boards from Abit and they were all great.
ABit was my go-to brand until the IT5H 1.5 was released and it soured my enthusiasm for them. This was back in 1997 and I was involved in a usenet discussion with ABit marketing and support and other buyers of the IT5H 1.5 trying to get parity enabled in the BIOS. The symptom was that if you had installed parity memory (I had Micron EDO/ECC 50ns 8x36 modules) and set BIOS setting "DRAM ECC/Parity" to "Parity" and "Detection" to "Enable", an NMI interrupt would always occur when the Award BIOS cleared the screen to print out the boxed table of info about the computer and the segment was always 0000. After much back and forth, ABit did some internal testing and verified that ECC/Parity support was indeed broken. They admitted that early in development they had tested parity support and it worked correctly, but sometime later during further development revisions of the board they inadvertently broke support for parity memory and there was no fix via BIOS possible. Their website still said the board supported parity though. I switched to Asus after that.

Still have my BH6 and Ic7-max3. I thought the ~300 price of max3 was crazy at the time, but looking at top end mb prices now...

I used to always go with Abit way back when because they were the most feature rich for the price you could get. I think I had an NF7-S. It was bit flaky at times but served me well. It was tough too, surving two inexpensive PSUs that practically exploded inside my case, leaving scorch marks on my board. But it kept on ticking.

Last edited:
TAKING ME BACK!

Never had an abit, but I had an albatron NF2 board that would do 245MHz FSB with some CH5 memory. So much fun.

Had a few DFI lanparty boards for Athlon 64s.

Can we go back a couple decades and forget 2020 happened.

Reactions: travm
like this
i do miss my old BP6. cheap motherboard that you can smack in 2 cheap cpu's to have a beast of a power.
sadly no more abit motherbaord.

i remember my friend bakc then was all asuso but then we started comparing.
asus would throw out a mobo./ 1 month later abit would do the same with some minor upgrade. aka 4 ram sockets instead of 3 or slightly better this and that.

I remember running 2GB on KG7 RAID. Fully Buffered DDR ram. Took longer to post, not say as long as as a server mind you but noticeable. Had lots of stability issues with that system as a DAW and gaming too. Those were the days! Also had an Iwill MPX2 dual socket A system and that one was a beast too!

I miss dual socket systems. I'd love to have a dual TR pro build with dual 64 core threadripper pros and 4TB RAM (2)TB per socket. Rather expensive I might say. Might as well fill the 7 PCI-E slots with 3090s too. ;-)

After Abit bit the dust I switched to ASUS. Then after an incident with my ASUS Sandy Bridge build I decided to check out ASRock.

Planning on sticking with ASRock for a Z590/Rocket Lake buiild.

I remember running 2GB on KG7 RAID. Fully Buffered DDR ram. Took longer to post, not say as long as as a server mind you but noticeable. Had lots of stability issues with that system as a DAW and gaming too. Those were the days! Also had an Iwill MPX2 dual socket A system and that one was a beast too!

I miss dual socket systems. I'd love to have a dual TR pro build with dual 64 core threadripper pros and 4TB RAM (2)TB per socket. Rather expensive I might say. Might as well fill the 7 PCI-E slots with 3090s too. ;-)

Yeah I had the same board with my 1.4 tbird, it was a very stabile system and ran it with ECC. Ran it for a couple years until I upgraded to a XP 2100+ which was the fastest proc it would take. Later upgraded to the great NF7-S ver 2 with a 2500 and later a 2500 mobile chip. Kept that system for over 5 years until I finally upgraded to a core 2 duo 8400.

Abit KG7-R. First board and system I ever built. Ran great. Moved to KR7A-R a bit later which is a better board IMhO.

Have not put power to this thing in near 20 years. The Nichicon and Rubycon caps all still look fine. Next retro build I think. After a good cleaning.

kg7r.1.jpg
kg7r.2.jpgkg7r.3.jpg

I have an ABit KT7A and an NF7-S. Both are amazing boards. I, like others, miss ABit too. They were a great motherboard manufacturer. Same with DFI and ePoX. Imagine how the landscape would look with them around still...

Last edited:
VP6 was one of my fave boards of all time. Got one cheap off 2CPU around 2004 and ran it with a pair of P3 P!!! 1133's and a GeForce 3 Ti. My Nforce2 board might have been Abit too, don't remember it was either Abit or Epox.

It reeks of low performance RAM that the big OEMs love to put in machines. Is this even the same ABit?
The store description seems to be describing the same Abit, and the logo looks like it's the same. Who knows.

Speaking of low performance ram, I remember when I had an Abit and someone was selling two memory modules on Usenet with a capacity that was several times more than what I already had installed in my PC and the price was cheap. I impulse-bought it, installed it, and was happy to see it post perfectly stable and recognize the entire two sticks. Then I noticed that everything was slower... much slower than it was before. Turns out it was EDO ram (much slower than SDram) lol. I took the sticks out and sold them to someone else on Usenet with the disclaimer in the ad: "As is. Make certain you check your motherboard manual to make sure this edo ram is compatible, No returns." Poor guy emailed and said couldn't even get his system to boot. He didn't ask for a refund but hoped I would offer it. That's my little Abit bedtime story for you kids tonight. Now go to sleep ;)

I got rid of my IP35 Pro after putting up with the double-boot nuance for a couple of years.

It left a bad impression on me. No motherboard bios should be released with a flaw like that.

Prior to that, I think I had an Abit KT133A board, but I can't remember for certain. it's been too long.
My IP35 was my last and least favorite Abit board - I didn't care for that double boot stuff either although the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P that replaced it kind of did the same thing. IIRC, that was a new thing with Conroe. I've certainly had worse boards.

That said, I really miss Abit. Had some great Abit boards. Ironically, I stumbled on the old Abit northbridge heatsink from my AG8-V. I still have the board, with a fanless Zalman NB and it still works with an old Prescott overclocked to 3.91GHz. Drop dead easy to overclock and never had a single problem with it over the several years it was a primary machine. It just worked and it was so stinking cheap - I think it was less than $100 new.

Back