Anybody here still have a Abit board?

Starfalcon

Gawd
I have a large amount of Abit boards in my hoard, around 15 or so with a large chunk of them being Socket A.

Admiral-Awesome

Weaksauce
I loved my Abit board. I still have the ip35-e in the closet with (I think) a 3000+ or 3800+ socketed into it. I had both chips and sold one but don't remember which at this point. I put so many hours on that setup.

Susquehannock

2[H]4U
Yes. Three total. Have a Abit kr7a running my win98/voodoo4 rig in the other room right now. Plus another kr7a, and kg7 both in boxes.

deruberhanyok

[H]ard|Gawd
rise, zombie thread, and feed on the nostalgia of your victims!

Attachments

• abit_av8.jpg
    abit_av8.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 0

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
BX6, BH6, BP6, IC7-G were all good, but IC7 was when they started going downhill just a tad.

Straight up though, the toughest, most rock solid and stable working motherboard I have ever tested (and I've tested alot) has the distinct honor of being the EPOX KP6-LA 440LX. Never have I had a tougher board. This board was spilled on, shaken, stirred, bios flashed, overclocked, fish fried, and even run 24 hrs continuously and never hiccuped, locked up, or broke down. If I ever find it in my moms closet I bet $500 it will still work and boot up.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 0

ShuttleLuv

Supreme [H]ardness
The good ole Abit Dayzz..Loved them..

As we all did. They were the best at the time for overclocking and pushing the chips (think Celeron 266, 300A, P2) but they did not have the stability. You often found yourself running them for a quick adrenaline benchmark run but when it came down to it to game, they let you down with a lockup here or there, maybe an incompatibility.

M76

[H]F Junkie
Whatever happened to Abit anyway? They were easily the most popular boards among enthusiasts in the late 90s.

UnknownSouljer

Supreme [H]ardness
Whatever happened to Abit anyway? They were easily the most popular boards among enthusiasts in the late 90s.
Wiki more or less covers it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit
But the really short answer is that motherboards are an incredibly competitive market and the margins are razor thin. There is a reason why Asus as an example (arguably their biggest competitor in their time) sells a ton of stuff other than motherboards. But as noted in the Wiki, embezzling is probably not the way for the future of any company.

To the statements in the thread though, Abit was and still is to a large degree my favorite mobo manufacturer of all time. Terrible shame when they left the market. Basically I learned pretty early on that the Abit boards were the best - and they actually supported their hardware unlike the nightmare that is Asus. The NF7 was fantastic. The VP6 might be the best 'inexpensive' dual processor board ever. But I owned quite a few boards from Abit and they were all great.

Azrak

Gawd
Wiki more or less covers it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Abit
But the really short answer is that motherboards are an incredibly competitive market and the margins are razor thin. There is a reason why Asus as an example (arguably their biggest competitor in their time) sells a ton of stuff other than motherboards. But as noted in the Wiki, embezzling is probably not the way for the future of any company.

To the statements in the thread though, Abit was and still is to a large degree my favorite mobo manufacturer of all time. Terrible shame when they left the market. Basically I learned pretty early on that the Abit boards were the best - and they actually supported their hardware unlike the nightmare that is Asus. The NF7 was fantastic. The VP6 might be the best 'inexpensive' dual processor board ever. But I owned quite a few boards from Abit and they were all great.
ABit was my go-to brand until the IT5H 1.5 was released and it soured my enthusiasm for them. This was back in 1997 and I was involved in a usenet discussion with ABit marketing and support and other buyers of the IT5H 1.5 trying to get parity enabled in the BIOS. The symptom was that if you had installed parity memory (I had Micron EDO/ECC 50ns 8x36 modules) and set BIOS setting "DRAM ECC/Parity" to "Parity" and "Detection" to "Enable", an NMI interrupt would always occur when the Award BIOS cleared the screen to print out the boxed table of info about the computer and the segment was always 0000. After much back and forth, ABit did some internal testing and verified that ECC/Parity support was indeed broken. They admitted that early in development they had tested parity support and it worked correctly, but sometime later during further development revisions of the board they inadvertently broke support for parity memory and there was no fix via BIOS possible. Their website still said the board supported parity though. I switched to Asus after that.