Anybody heard of Grado?

Bright, uncomfortable and they feature unrealistic imaging.
Not to bad for rock music but not good at all for games.

I used to own the Grado SR-60s. They are decent for the price. The comfort is ok, it would start hurting my ears after an hour or so with the stock earpads. The treble was also piercing on some recordings. It does offer pretty good bass and you get a taste of the Grado sound signature.

Edit: Damn MisterX. Next time! *shakes fist*

Mister X said:
QFT bout the SR-60s. Still, good sound for the price IMO. Be sure to stretch the headband if they are uncomfortable, and watch the volume. The highs can and will destroy your hearing if you arent careful.

<3 my 325i :)

Bowls. I've tried them with flats, modded 414 and radioshack pads. The flats had too much bass, killed what little soundstage there was, and made everything kinda mushy sounding. The 414 pads had a nice balance, but were very uncomfortable due to the weight of the cans. The RS pads were the worst of the bunch, itchy, extremely bass heavy + very little midrange. The bowls are a tad bright, but offered the best of everything. I have heard that the other Grado models were designed with the flats in mind, and thats probably why many find they sound better with them than the bowls.

Also, I actually like the A-47 better than the PPA with them for some reason, even when using the same opamp + source. The PPA still kicks ass with the Senns though!

That is pretty much the same with me and my seldomly used 225s.
Bowls, modded HD414 pads, Comfies and then the flats.

It's funny you said that about the PPA cause I got the same feeling when comparing my hacked Pimeta (A47 XP :D) to my M3.
It seems like Grados like higher THD levels because the synergy increases as it goes up.

Grados, mmmm

I have Allesandro MS1's...I'm definitely the odd man out on this, but I've never had one problem of comfort or brightness with 'em. The bright issue could just be that I like things brighter than most do.

I concede that the soundstage is pretty minimal (compact), but it's part of the presentation that I love so much.

Has anybody heard of Grado.

They are the Most renowned company and most respected in the Audio Industry.

grado Bass is great for Music like metal.

Bright, uncomfortable and they feature unrealistic imaging

Mr.X lets not sugar coat it...Tell us how you really feel..lol

Mister X said:

wouldn't supprise me at all, used SR-60s and 80s for music and they sound great never used for movies, or games or anything of the nature. SOoooo go with what he said :p

yhamez said:
Grados, mmmm

I have Allesandro MS1's...I'm definitely the odd man out on this, but I've never had one problem of comfort or brightness with 'em. The bright issue could just be that I like things brighter than most do.

I concede that the soundstage is pretty minimal (compact), but it's part of the presentation that I love so much.

Comfort has been an issue, after an hour or two initially, now I've built a tolerance :p

I haven't had any problems with brightness even with my AD8620 based amp

I can understand keeping with tradition but if they just made their headphones comfortable, they might have more market share. I'm replacing my ms-1s with HD-595 cause they'll sound better, look better, be 10 times as comfortable and ill actually be able to wear them for a long time without my ears stinging.

People say they build up a resistance to the discomfort, but wearing headphones should be about enjoying, not enduring.

I'm not a big grado fan myself, but if I was going to get one I would probably try the new HF-1. Take a look over at head-fi.org for details.

Trigger oh-so-pulled on the HF-1's...I've been thinking of adding SR225 to the collection anyways, and I've been going to head-fi for years.

Word.

philodox said:
I'm not a big grado fan myself, but if I was going to get one I would probably try the new HF-1. Take a look over at head-fi.org for details.

Buyers are not comming back with reviews that are anything great. Still a Grado

sdgserv said:
Buyers are not comming back with reviews that are anything great. Still a Grado.
I wouldnt say that really... most people are saying that it bests the SR225, and it costs the same price. There is even one guy that is saying he likes it better than his RS-2's for a lot of reasons. But you are right that it still has the Grado sound and if you don't like that nothing has changed. ;)

I think I might get a pair anyways due to their limited edition nature... maybe send them to headphile.com and see what he can do with them. :cool:

MisterX, have you tried your grado with a Millet Hybrid amp? :D. do they have good synergy? I wanna know before selling my Gilmore Lite for the Millet :p.

MisterX, have you tried your grado with a Millet Hybrid amp?
Yea, and I was not all that impressed.
In fact if you were to ask me what my general opinion of the Millet is I would have to tell you that I think it's a waste of $50 worth of capacitors. :eek:
But that was one of the reasons I sent one on a demo tour.

A few of the participants posted their impressions in the Post your HeadPhones! thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=843290&page=19&pp=20

Bleed said:
MisterX, have you tried your grado with a Millet Hybrid amp? :D. do they have good synergy? I wanna know before selling my Gilmore Lite for the Millet :p.

Is a Gilmore Lite better than a Pimeta?

God I love doing this ;)

I know some one here is holding their tongue :) come on...Must be the Opamps.

Back