Anybody got an good voip troubleshooting guide

I am just wondering if anybody had any good voip troubleshooting guide that they would like to share?

Cisco? Avaya? Other?

What issues are you concerned about? Voice quality? Signaling? Endpoint registration?

Your question is too vague. If you want something all encompassing, you'll need a book...or series of books. Not a guide.

I am trying to create an how to in case there is an issue they can fix there selfs without calling into the office.

I am trying to create an how to in case there is an issue they can fix there selfs without calling into the office.
That's...not just slightly terrifying.

Look, a properly setup voip server is an appliance. Like a toaster. You plug in a toaster, and it 'just works', right? Same deal here. Plug in a phone, and the magic just works.

Voip can be complex. You do not want a non-technical customer attempting basic troubleshooting steps if something goes wrong. Not only can they ( and likely will ) screw things up worse than they already are, they will also very likely obliterate needful diagnostic data.

This is what's know professionally as "A Recipe for Disaster".

Here is your end user troubleshooting guide.

For single phone problems: Unplug phone, wait a few seconds and plug it back in. If that doesn't fix it, verify that the network connection is working.

For multiple phones having problems: Turn off the voice gateway, wait about 30 seconds and turn voice gateway back on.

Anything past that and they need to call in or else you are just asking for trouble.

Disclaimer:
I deal with VoIP on a carrier level. Any opinions expressed here are my own and may not reflect the direct or indirect views of my employer.

Troubleshooting at a customer prem should include reseating the cables connected to the phone, that's it.

If anything else needs troubleshooting initiated by the customer the company who set up the VoIP system isn't doing their job. You should have latency and packet loss logs & alerts, alerts for lack of connectivity, alerts for wan failover, power loss alerts etc. Anything less shouldn't be acceptable in the first place. IMHO its a bad idea to install a voip systrm without 2 wan's from different providers, even if the second one is cell. At least the phones will work with some latency over the backup connection until the primary connection is restored.

does the phone work? no? use your cell phone

Troubleshooting at a customer prem should include reseating the cables connected to the phone, that's it.

ding ding ding

making sure the network is plugged into the "internet" port, and the handset is plugged in to the handset curly cord

that's about it, anything else doesn't work you should call

and if that happens a lot, i got news for you, you shouldn't be doing phone systems for people

I pretty much am going to <AOL> it here too.

Your VOIP solutions should be pretty much set-and-forget.
Your clients should, at most, be reseating their cables and occasionally rebooting their phones.
Anything more, and they should be calling you.

Back