Anybody else's 3500+ venice not OC well?

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
I was following (cf)Eclipse's guide to OCing pretty much word for word attempting to find my CPU's max OC. Maxed my board at ~325mhz. However at +0.15V I could only get my HTT up to 217 before Prime95 errored on me (HT link = 2x, divider = 1:2). Going up +0.05V only gave me+4-6 HTT without Prime95 erroring out on me. 2200mhz to 2387 doesn't seem like a great OC for a Venice to me... Any suggestions? I'm only running the stock cooler...think it'd be safe to keep upping the voltage past +0.15?

so, did you try lowering your CPU clock multiplier and raising the HTT speed on your RAM? by taking your CPU clock speeds out of the picture and focusing on overclocking your memory, you can find out what the limitation of your memory chips are. I have 2 gigs of OCZ ram and they top around at that same speed (214 actually) So, the limitation you ran into could very well be from your memory...

Once you know what your memory's limitations are, you can raise your CPU multiplier again and tinker with your memory settings if you want to keep raising the HTT speed and making the CPU faster. You could try either loosening the DIMM timings or using more DIMM voltage, although I wouldn't go above 2.8 volts.

In the end, I really doubt you're going to get high speeds on those 2 gig sticks. I sure as hell couldn't. You'll probably need a 5/6 memory/CPU divider. I did when I was overclocking on this thing a few weeks back.

give that a whirl and report back! :)

2640 @ 1.52v is my max I think. I've fooled around close to the 1.6 range but it was unstable @ 2706 @ 1.59v. I will definitely try raising the volts and taking it higher pretty soon.

Zinn said:
so, did you try lowering your CPU clock multiplier and raising the HTT speed on your RAM? by taking your CPU clock speeds out of the picture and focusing on overclocking your memory, you can find out what the limitation of your memory chips are. I have 2 gigs of OCZ ram and they top around at that same speed (214 actually) So, the limitation you ran into could very well be from your memory...

I was running a 1:2 divider so my memory was running at half speed. I don't think it could have been the problem?

i got mine to 2640 on stock vcore(1.4v). anything more than that is unstable, even with the vcore up to 1.7v.

ouch volkum.. that's harsh. do you know the stepping/week/batch code on that cpu?

the memory divider can sometimes effect stabilty, even with the ram is at reduced speeds. it's a complicated matter, so i won't touch on it too much. just try the 133 or 166mhz divider :cool:

(cf)Eclipse said:
ouch volkum.. that's harsh. do you know the stepping/week/batch code on that cpu?

the memory divider can sometimes effect stabilty, even with the ram is at reduced speeds. it's a complicated matter, so i won't touch on it too much. just try the 133 or 166mhz divider :cool:

I'll crack it open Saturday and let you know. I think it showed up as E3 in CPUZ, dont know about the rest. At work atm and I'm leaving early to goto the Nine Inch Nails show in Chicago and won't be back til Saturday.

heh, all right. have fun at the concert man, i'll try to keep an eye out for this thread when you get back ;)

some things to think about in the meantime:
1. temps?
2. instable power? how's the psu
3. i have an inclination against gigabyte. while the new nf4 boards seem to be a lot better.. i don't know them for good overclocking :(

Alright, I'm home now and just cracked open my case. Here's the CPU:

3500.jpg

I don't even see the DPHW code on the stickied chart...

(cf)Eclipse:

Temps run pretty cool. I usually run F@H while sleeping and at work and after those ~17 hours it's only hitting 35C. When I had it at +0.15V it was running 40-41C after 30 min of Prime95.

I don't know I'd use to test my PSU for stability, but the reviews I've read say it's pretty solid. Same deal with my board and OCing.

all the other 0519's in the database are doing ~2.5-2.7ghz too.. hmmmmm. i dunno what the deal is. the temps are fine. you shouldn't really have any limitations unless the mobo voltage regulation is being lame.

near the cpu sockets, there's some mosfets that regulate vcore. how hot are they when the cpu is under load?

found two other 0519DPHW by google searching them

one did 2.3, one did 2.6

could be a bad stepping most of the weeks after 0515 seem to oc not quite as high.

Clawhammer 3500 here
Stable overclock in all games is 2540
some games 2570
2590 in windows.

talk about a bump of a thread for a different cpu ;)

not a bad oc.. but kinda lacking. how much voltage and what cooling? if it takes you 1.9v to hit that, it's not as impressive as 1.5v :cool: :cool:

not sure if your asking me or someone else.
2540 @ 1.50 to 1.575v on xp-90. Have not tried it with cold weather yet. Bought this in april. It booted up once at 2710 and 1.65v and crached after clicking on an icon. Never messed with timings, I don't quite understand how it affects overclocking cpus. This is on valueram anyway.

not bad, have you read my a64 oc guide that's stickied in this forum? i think you may find it handy :D

Back