anybody else wish the Ageia PPU was PCIe 1x?

oqvist said:
I won´t make that trade I can say for sure. Especially since I am on a dual core I would preferr game developers more focusing on optimizing for such CPU:s that sure as hell is more powerful than the Ageia Chip will ever be :).

AGEIA's Physx is ~200 times faster at physics calculations than your CPU(if your CPU is top of the line)...
If your CPU could be utilized like this, don't you think Havock would have done so already?
A PPU is a lot closer to a GPU than a CPU, but a GPU will still only do "dummy-physics" and not like the PPU that will do real physics...
So in physics term a PPU > GPU > CPU...
With the PPU being true physics and the rest (GPU) wanna-be physics and (CPU) to-slow-for physics...

Terra -Would you do GFX on the second CPU core insted of on the GPU? ;)

I am sure I read the price tag on the PPU is going to be around 200. I'm sure someone will correct me if i am wrong. I tend to play games for the fun factor and half the time for eye candy. I don't see this card giving me 200 bucks worth of fun and eye candy. I honestly don't think it will so obvious of a difference with or without the ppu in most games. How-ever I hope I am proved wrong. Also if the card is anywhere near over 80 bucks forget it. I know it will never be worth it *to me* to spend more than that.

mashie said:
Please read again what you quoted since we are saying the same thing. The GPU physics will be a good transition solution but a dedicated card is the way to go.
then we are going to have sliders in the game like this for GPU physics
3D/physics Performance
3D<========||========>Physics

i think the most positive thing to come out of gpu accelerated physics is that it cements the fact that h/w accelerated physics wont be a fly by night thing.

Dark_fire said:
then we are going to have sliders in the game like this for GPU physics
3D/physics Performance
3D<========||========>Physics

Just remember that would have to be look like this to be accurate:
3D<========||========>Effects Physics

Terra - To get REAL accelerated gameplay-physics, you would still need a Ageia's PPU...

Terra said:
Just remember that would have to be look like this to be accurate:
3D<========||========>Effects Physics

Terra - To get REAL accelerated gameplay-physics, you would still need a Ageia's PPU...

sorry, off topic, but this has been annoying me for a week or two...

Terra, why do you always end your posts with your own name like this...

nobody_here - what's up with that?

nobody_here said:
sorry, off topic, but this has been annoying me for a week or two...

Terra, why do you always end your posts with your own name like this...

nobody_here - what's up with that?

1. If it dosn't take more to annoy you, you might have some issues...
2. I like a dynamic sig, some like a static sig, some don't want a sig...I use a dynamic...simple as that...

Terra - Funny how this can be an issue :p ;)

Terra said:
1. If it dosn't take more to annoy you, you might have some issues...
2. I like a dynamic sig, some like a static sig, some don't want a sig...I use a dynamic...simple as that...

Terra - Funny how this can be an issue :p ;)

Kinda retarded... because it's almost as if you are addressing yourself.

Ockie said:
Kinda retarded... because it's almost as if you are addressing yourself.

You responded, så 100% retarded it can't be ;)
But "kinda" and"it's almost"...good thing you speak with a firm conviction :p

Terra - Enough OT, get over is US folks...

Back