Anybody else skipping the latest gen? NV5 and HD6 series?

piscian18

[H]F Junkie

I sorta expected to need to upgrade my 460's(skipped 470/480) when battlefield 3 and skyrim(especially skyrim) came out. I had to upgrade all the way from GTS250s/HD5870/GTX260s/GTX275s to GTX460 SLi before I was comfortable with my Battlefield Bad Company 2 settings, but this time around I'm just not feeling that push. Anybody else just sitting this gen out?

(skipping sandy bridge too.)

I went from an 8600GT to a GTX 280 to a GTX 580. I didn't skip this series, but I skipped plenty of others. I will likely skip sandy bridge as well.

Skipped the 6xxx/5xx. Nothing special enough. The die shinks of the next round will be a different story!

I got my SB back in the spring after being being annoyed with AMD refusing to give any bulldozer info (an approximate release date, mainly). Definitely buying IB though.

Still rocking 2x 4870x2 and they still kill everything at 1080P

I had planned to upgrade to 2x 5970 but everything already runs so well I decided to hold out until I can upgrade to cards with more VRam. No rush though... I'm thinking 7990.

I want a GTX 590 but I settled for a 560Ti to hold me over for the holidays. Then hopefully we will get more info on 680 GTX launch date. I always want more performance it seems. ;)

im still on an amd x2 6400 with an 8800gts and im skipping this round and going ib and whatever else is out at that time.

Yeah in he same boat here, feeling outdated with (2) GTX 285

Been wanting (3) of the GTX 580 classified hydro but can only find the regular 580 hydro ones. So besides the feeling of not getting the card I really wanted, plus the thought of a new model will be out next year, is really causing me to hesitate.

Upgraded to a 6950 Toxic from a couple of 4850's in XFire- mainly because I wanted the DX11 eye candy. I'll skip 7xxx and get on the 8xxx train.

I sorta expected to need to upgrade my 460's(skipped 470/480) when battlefield 3 and skyrim(especially skyrim) came out. I had to upgrade all the way from GTS250s/HD5870/GTX260s/GTX275s to GTX460 SLi before I was comfortable with my Battlefield Bad Company 2 settings, but this time around I'm just not feeling that push. Anybody else just sitting this gen out?

(skipping sandy bridge too.)

I already did. My old HD 5970 has been doing great over the years. There wasn't that huge of a performance gap from the HD 5970 to the HD 6990 that warrant me to upgrade my current videocard.

Same with the CPU. My 980X is doing fine and I just upgrade from 6GB to 12GB and I couldn't be any happier. If Ivy Bridge socket 2011 won't have native USB 3.0, I might aswell skip X79 and wait for the X85 or X89. There arn't many games that even use my six cores. BF 3 is the only game that uses all four of my cores. Now that I found out about disabling core parking in windows 7, I might even get better performance with multiprocessor games.

Went from 4830 -> 6950. Needless to say, the difference is phenomenal. Will be skipping 7xxx and getting 8xxx hoping that it'll kick ass once more :D

My 5970 gives great frames (needed for 120hz) in BF3. Skipped 6xxx series because it wasn't that much of a perf boost. Def getting 7970 day 1 (if I'm lucky of course).

I've read news that the 7970 will be priced at $549. This may imply that the performance is in between the GTX 580 and GTX 590/6990. The 7970 = 590/6990 performance may be a little far fetched though but will almost be the same and be cheaper.

I just had my X2 939 die...I'm rocking a G80 8800GTS 320MB...:(
I just skipped 4 generations...

I recently upgraded my 1GB 4870's in CF to 2GB 6970 Lightning's in CF. I'm just waiting for my Dell U3011 to arrive to really push those cards :). I'm very happy with the performance increase.

I am still pushing 2 XFX 5850 Black Edition in CF and run even BF3 wide open since i only game at 1920x1080. I will probably upgrade after tax return hits though.

I'd been using a 4850 for the last two builds, since 2009. I skipped the 5xxx series and recently bought a 6850. For under $200 it was well worth the upgrade.

I was planning on it. Had a 5870 and was happy with it overall. However between the large amount the bitcoin people would pay for it and my like for nVidia, I bought a 570. No good reason for it, but I wanted it so there you go :). I'll upgrade to the 600 series when it comes out.

I went from an AGP 6800GT in my old S939 system to my system in the sig. However, I am greatly behind in terms of GPU. I want a pair of 6970's in CF, but I think I will just hold off and jump onto the 7xxx train and toot toot to victory.

if you had 5870 or gtx 480 there was really no reason to upgrade to 6970 and gtx 580. unless you're rich :)

Buying an IB & 6xx/7xxx laptop mid 2012. I will probably upgrade my 280 then as well. My 920 is staying put until Haswell.

I have a Sapphire 4850x2 in my main workstation and 2, 2gig 5870s, I use for playing games. One sapphire toxic with 2 DVI ports, and 1 eyefinity 6 MSI reference design. I keep looking at the 68xx and 69xx cards, but haven't been convinced to buy one yet.

As far as replacing the 4850x2 goes, no 6000 series card compares to the 4850x2 for hooking up to a mix of 4 older and newer displays. 4x DL DVI is awesome, since every port works with virtually every monitor. Asus Direct CU II cards look nice, but they take up 3 slots. Sapphire flex cards also look nice. But I hear conflicting reports of exactly what mix of ports, and max resolutions on those ports, you can use.

As for replacing the 5870s, 6970 would be only slightly better than 5870 performance wise. Though they'd be better in crossfire. And would likely completely solve some black screen crash issues I've had with BF3, and previously BFBC2. I think I've finally fixed them, by upping the desktop voltages/clocks a tad with a BIOS editor. They're intermittent enough, that it's hard to be sure. I would sell them, and replace them with 2gig 6950s or 6970s, if I could do so with exactly zero time/effort.

But, at this point I'll probably wait to see what ATI's 7x series brings, and if by some miracle nvidia's next product line has wide spread support for 4+ monitors on one card, I may look at them too. I'd love 1-2 3gig 580s, but can't justify the extreme price premium over ATI's cards.

I skipped the GTX 4xx series and will likely skip the GTX 6xx series.

I think the only time when I didn't skip at least one generation was going from a 7800 GTX to an 8800 GTX. Frankly there's no reason to buy new cards every generation.

Been sitting on a 5850 but now I am running a 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB that came with a 27" 2560x1440 monitor I purchased on Ebay recently. It's not enough to successfully drive that resolution in the most demanding games but hopefully it will hold out another 6 months until we see what the new cards from AMD and Nvidia can do.

Been using my trusty 5870 at 1ghz for years now & no real reason to upgrade. Sometimes I use asymmetrical crossfire with my 5830 freebie from my bitcoin days for an extra speed bump, but more often I don't want the hassle.

Maybe 7xxx series, maybe not. Application & game development slowed down so much for GPUs there may not be a real reason to switch still until a console refresh.

I haven´t upgraded in a long while, and I was dead set to upgrade with an Ivy + 28nm solution. Now I am more hesitant since BF3 is running great on my current setup (without AA of course @ 1920x1200).

One thing needs to happen before I upgrade: More demanding games, must come out.

My current plan til then is to stick with my sig machine until that happens. Perhaps a second generation 28 nm GPU and a later iteration of Ivy will be out before DX11 really starts to unfold in all its glory. One thing is for sure, those damn consoles really gave my PC an unusually long life span!

I've skipped Sandy bridge, and probably will skipp Ivy bridge also.

No reason for me to skip. 6950's can be had for about $230 if you aren't in a hurry. I got mine shortly after launch at that price. Sold the old card for $100 or so. Makes it a $130 upgrade for a higher end card. Like I said, no reason to skip this series - jump when they have a sale and skip the uberclock 6970 version.

I'm going to try to skip the next generation cpu & gpu for my main computer.

See, the problem is; upgrades can cost <$80 for a single video card if you sell your old card. But the 6950 2gb is a sweet card.

I skipped both the GTX 400/500 & HD5000/6000 series. Still running off of my GTX 295 for a while, but it is starting to show it's age in recent games like Battlefield 3. I'll stick with the GTX 295 until HD7000 or GTX600 series drops early next year.

I won't be skipping them, I'll stick with my practice of staying one generation behind so I can save some cash. I'll be looking for a HD6 series card after the HD7's are out for a while. The price should come down considerably. Of course, I almost never buy a game until it's been out a year either. :)

Hanging onto my 15 month old GTX 460. I was thinking I'd need to upgrade for Skyrim, but the game is so unoptimized and CPU dependent the video card didn't matter.

hahah NOPE.avi

my sli gtx480's are way too hot and way too loud. I leave my case open when i game to keep the temps on the 480's around 88. With it closed, they hit 92.

Cannot wait to get a trio of 670's. Hoping for ~120fps in BF3 so i can use that 120hz screen that i havent bought yet :p

We really haven't had a huge boost in performance from one generation to the next since ati went from the 3800 to 4800 series and nvidia from the. 9800/8800 to the gtx 280. I think the next big performance boost is coming next generation. 28nm will allow them to really push the envelope. I know ati have said it's the biggest redisgn since the hd2000 series in regards to the 7000 series.

Personally I had 2 570's in sli and I recently just sold them. Going back to 4870 crossfire as i wait for the 7970. While the 570's were great they arent worth the price tag.

Also on a side note we really are being held back by the 360 and ps3.

I'll do my next upgrade when Windows 8 goes RTM which should be an IB Extreme, tri 680s and I want to get at least 1TB of SSD storage.

hell no

got reference ASUS 6950s last year and unlocked them the first day, wowwwwwwwwwwwwwww

of course the fastest card in the house before that was a 6600le...lol

Back