Anybody else regretting buying SC2?

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Paid $120 (one for myself and the girlfriend) for a pair of copies..

We played it for a few days, and have barely touched it since. I still try every now and then but can't get itno it. Mechanically, it's great... but the new BNet is just... just awful.

Trying to play a more obscure map? Good luck. It's shoved to the bottom of the list. The most popular games are at the top of the list, which kind of ensures they stay... at the top of the list.. most of the time. One of my favorite things in SC/WC3 was just to try smaller, random maps I downloaded from websites. Found some real gems doing that, and met a lot of people I still keep in touch with/play games with.

Different game modes for a custom game? Just hope the people who join aren't pissed off by your choices, since you can't put the modes in the game title.

Meeting people and maintaining an online friendship is much harder - 95% of the people I played SC1 with regularly, I met online. And we used the chat rooms. Yes, yes, I know there's Skype, TS, Ventrilo, etc... but it's not the same, and it's just not happening this time.

Also, Blizzard fully owns every map now. If you create a map and upload it, Blizzard officially owns all content. If they had this during WC3, we'd be waiting for Blizzard/Activision's DotA, not Valve's DotA.

If anybody disagrees with my reasons, please explain.

Yes Bnet2 sucks but Ive still played nearly 1,000k games already not including single player. So no, I dont regret it.

I'm still enjoying it, bnet has issues though. and sometimes I get a game where someone is lagging, and it makes everyone else lag. besides that, I'm happy I bought it, paid $45 for it on ebay the day after it came out and believe I got my moneys worth.

Agreed, though for different reasons.

I didn't find the gameplay of Starcraft II to be much different from the first. Which is fine, but it's been a decade and my tastes evolved. Starcraft II just doesn't impress me or thrill me like I figured it would.

Uninstalled and shelved. This is the game I put a pre-order down for, over five years ago.

I played the trial and I loved it. I only play custom maps (not regular starcraft 2 matches). I didn't even touch the single player and have no intention of doing so. I am just waiting for it to go down in price before buying. Maybe black Friday...

Any of you guys interested selling your copy for considerably less than what you paid? :)

I bought SC2 for $50 about a week or two after it came out. I'm about halfway through the game and had a blast with each mission. Every mission was different and had unique challenges. But I haven't played for a few weeks now, between Civ 5, Minecraft, New Vegas, etc.. I've temporarily lost interest in SC2.

Yea i bought it on sale for $47 one day. Played for about a week on single player, and then tried a simple "normal" difficult setting PvC match. I got my ass handed to me. I grew up playing Age of Empires, so I know RTS games, and I'm not terrible at them. Yet, I suck at SC2 and I'm not sure why. Maybe, that's the reason why though, I'm trying to play an AOE type of match (takes anywhere from 45-130mins) compared to the fast pace SC2 type of play.

I haven't played it since, oh and I have to disable Crossfire, turn off Eyefinity, and at the time no AA. These are what really irked me.

None of my friends were really busy with college over the summer so I got my money's worth playing with them. Now that everyone is busy we don't play as much, I still enjoy the game for the customs, never got into the ladder stuff much.

I was underwhelmed. The single player campaign left me wanting, and some aspects were very annoying, like the artificial time constraints built into SOOOOOOOOOOOO many missions.

the multiplayer is fine and all, but I got a bit burned out from that by being in beta. All in all, not pleased. Contrast that with Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age, enjoyed those through and through, the only flaw being length. I like more of a good thing.

I'm at 481 league, 318 custom, 50 FFA, and 608 coop = 1457 games :p not including the campaign / challenges.

I'd say I got my monies worth.

I haven't played it in a couple months, but it's a game I can always just hop on whenever I'm feeling bored. I don't regret my purchase.

The multiplayer alone is worth the 60 bucks.

The singleplayer campaign and story were garbage. The new BNET is crappy as well but I hear they will add chat room and other features.

finished about 16 SP missions. played online twice. Just kinda forgot about the game after that.

I enjoy the actual game. What I don't enjoy is the new ACTIVISION bnet. No LAN, online singleplayer only, banning for single player cheats, lack of options, No Chat rooms, inability to name custom games other than map type, map sorting etc... everything about it screams "I want to you to use Facebook that we might sell your data" instead of "I want you to have a great time playing our game".

They just don't "get it". I don't want my complete real name anywhere near a video game. I don't want to use Facebook. I want LAN capability. I want options, customization and more. I don't want Activision saying "You have to play OUR way".

I enjoy the actual game. What I don't enjoy is the new ACTIVISION bnet. No LAN, online singleplayer only, banning for single player cheats, lack of options, No Chat rooms, inability to name custom games other than map type, map sorting etc... everything about it screams "I want to you to use Facebook that we might sell your data" instead of "I want you to have a great time playing our game".

They just don't "get it". I don't want my complete real name anywhere near a video game. I don't want to use Facebook. I want LAN capability. I want options, customization and more. I don't want Activision saying "You have to play OUR way".

That sounds like the same problems I have with it more or less. Mechanically, it's a good game.

I agree with your gripes as far as the MP portion of the game goes. Not including LAN support was a really big mistake , half the fun that is SC1 is being able to bring one copy and spawn it across other comps to play in big LAN groups. Being forced to buy it and all be online completely ruins this. I know people that bought SC based on there LAN experiences playing it.

The single player was fun to me , not sure why there is so much hate for it. I look forward to the next 2 expansions for it as well.

However I gotta add that if people doubted Activisions influence , it shows with how they treated the MP portion of this game.

Starcraft 1 is one of my favorite games of all times. I played SC2 for a couple of weeks, but there is just so much going on in the gaming world. Between my PS3 and PC, I don't have time for SC2.

Bought it the first week... played for about a week... sick of losing online and lost interest

Agreed, though for different reasons.

I didn't find the gameplay of Starcraft II to be much different from the first. Which is fine, but it's been a decade and my tastes evolved. Starcraft II just doesn't impress me or thrill me like I figured it would.

Uninstalled and shelved. This is the game I put a pre-order down for, over five years ago.
Same. The genre has progressed so far since then, example Company of Heroes, and it's hard to go back. However, I'm also the type of player that enjoys a 45-60 minute game with friends vs a <10 minute stress fest.
I purchased every blizzard title on release since WC1, minus the WOW series. To me it appears they are catering towards a certain customer, and I no longer fit the profile.

I don't regret it, but I don't play it anymore.

I enjoyed it, but it got boring very fast for me.

Bought it the first week... played for about a week... sick of losing online and lost interest

Ditto. I'm pathetic at this game. I wanted to enjoy it since i heard good things about the original (though i never played it). I actually enjoy watching matches on youtube more than i do playing the game.

lol i played beta and saw how imbalanced it was and already knew that im not gonna buy it. Warned all my friends about it but they bought it anyways. Now only like 5/40 of them still play regularly and a few of them offered me their accounts to play on.

Id pay $5 more not to have that shitty battle music. Seriously, MIDI soft rock does not help things...

Nope, don't regret it.

The singleplayer was very fun, and a fresh new experiance on presenting a RTS.

Didn't care about the multiplayer. However, the custom game modes like Nexus Wars has proved fun as well.

Paid $120 (one for myself and the girlfriend) for a pair of copies..

We played it for a few days, and have barely touched it since. I still try every now and then but can't get itno it. Mechanically, it's great... but the new BNet is just... just awful.

Agree, I dislike the new Bnet.

Trying to play a more obscure map? Good luck. It's shoved to the bottom of the list. The most popular games are at the top of the list, which kind of ensures they stay... at the top of the list.. most of the time. One of my favorite things in SC/WC3 was just to try smaller, random maps I downloaded from websites. Found some real gems doing that, and met a lot of people I still keep in touch with/play games with.

Not only that, i'm severely disappointed with the custom games that have been released so far. The few Tower Defense maps that i've enjoyed got destroyed, edited and updated into utter garbage (retribution td being one of my biggest disappointments as the updates came). There are so few types of maps, and none of them have been enjoyable to me in the slightest. Where is the Enfo's team survival type maps? The gladiator maps? The footman wars style maps (marine arena is garbage and wayyyyy not balanced)? The RPG maps like Elements or Winterglades!? The list goes on and on and on for me.

I've found that if a map isn't on the first 2 pages of map choices, you will be waiting quite a while, possibly forever, if you try and get a game for it.

Different game modes for a custom game? Just hope the people who join aren't pissed off by your choices, since you can't put the modes in the game title.

Lack of titles sucks, and ties into the same category as the way the maps are listed. Much easier to scroll through a moving list of custom game titles to find the one you want to play, and you aren't forced to play maps on the first 2, maybe 3 pages, only.

Meeting people and maintaining an online friendship is much harder - 95% of the people I played SC1 with regularly, I met online. And we used the chat rooms. Yes, yes, I know there's Skype, TS, Ventrilo, etc... but it's not the same, and it's just not happening this time.

Agree, although this is probably the least upsetting factor for me.

Also, Blizzard fully owns every map now. If you create a map and upload it, Blizzard officially owns all content. If they had this during WC3, we'd be waiting for Blizzard/Activision's DotA, not Valve's DotA.

If anybody disagrees with my reasons, please explain.

I don't have a problem with this at all. I can understand how they'd be upset that someone takes their software, makes a custom map that is enjoyable, and then someone makes a straight copy of it after a few years and makes a fat wad of cash to boot. Games aren't the only place where things like this happen, a lot of jobs stipulate that anything you create while employed there is the companies property.

First and foremost I bought the game for single player. I was sort of hoping for even better longevity through the custom user matches, but it doesn't seem the games outside of the first few pages even get played which is pretty annoying. I find plenty of games that sound great that are further down the list, but are impossible to fill because hardly anyone has the patience to search for them or wait for others to join. Do I regret buying it? Not at all, the single player campaign was extremely satisfying and my only regret is that Blizzard decided to split the series into a trilogy. Am I bit disappointed by how user maps are handle? I guess, but only because I get tired of playing the most "popular" maps over and over. All in all, I believe Starcraft II is a great sequel.

Eh kinda. I didn't play it very long but at the same time it's one of those games that isn't going anywhere so in 10 years when i feel like playing again at least it will be there. :D

The real question should be, who plans on buying the next installment, followed by another installment?

I played the trial and I loved it. I only play custom maps (not regular starcraft 2 matches). I didn't even touch the single player and have no intention of doing so. I am just waiting for it to go down in price before buying. Maybe black Friday...

Any of you guys interested selling your copy for considerably less than what you paid? :)

adriantrances is selling SC2 for $38

Starcraft 1 is one of my favorite games of all times. I played SC2 for a couple of weeks, but there is just so much going on in the gaming world. Between my PS3 and PC, I don't have time for SC2.

SC player here since 98 and I havent been playing any other game since I got SC2

Back