Anybody else have any experience with low voltage Xeons?

Drudenhaus

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I'm doing testing on a platform at work and the customer pretty stuck on using the following config:

Chassis: Supermicro 513L-420B
Motherboard: Supermicro X7DCL-i
CPUs: 2x Xeon E5410 (QC 2.33ghz)
Heatsinks: 2x SNK-P0017

The problem here is that on full load the CPUs runs 67-68C with Intel's thermal spec being 67C (and personally, I'm not fond of running over 60C). I tried out a pair of L5420 CPUs (same specs, but 50W draw instead of 80W) figuring that with lower power consumption, they would run cooler. Instead, a pair of L5420s at 100% load run up to about 80C with Intel's thermal spec being 57C on these. I'm not expert in thermodynamics or anything related, but I would have though that lower power consumption = lower heat output. :confused:

Does anybody else here have any experience with the L series Xeon CPUs and seen something like this before?

Reference:
E5420 specs
L5420 specs

Temps dont look to bad to me for an Xeon. Depending on Amient temp of course. Double check air flow within the case and possibly reseat the heat-sinks with some better thermal grease. Personally considering those are passive heatsinks id consider puting a couple of fans on them.

Temps don't look to bad to me for an Xeon. Depending on Ambient temp of course. Double check air flow within the case and possibly reseat the heat-sinks with some better thermal grease. Personally considering those are passive heatsinks id consider putting a couple of fans on them.

The vast majority of 1U cases use passive heatsinks with chassis fans (that way you get a ton more surface area for heat dissipation as opposed to active 1U heatsinks). Personally, I don't like the fact it's a suck rather than push fan config. It's sitting in ambient room temp of about 23C and heatsink contact and airflow are good. I expected the system to run hot with the crappy cooling design, but what got me was that the L5420 supposedly consumes 30W less than the E5420, but it runs quite a bit hotter. Have you seen that particular characteristic before?

Yeh I agree man I would of came to the same conclusion as you and by all specs it should be runing cooler. You could take off the heat sink lay a strait edge razer over it and see if the metal plate has a concave to it if its beveled that would ruin the heat Transfer. Also Intel makes a copper heatsink with a fan for those chips. I bet you 100 dollars they would cool a lot better than your solution. The thing is passive is great and all but active almost always out performs and with a 23C ambient temp you should see a nice drop using an active cooling solution. You probably have more experience with Xeons than me I havent built a lot of servers maybe 4 in my whole life but 100s of desktops and entry level servers and thats my best advice.

passive without airflow doesnt really help. If its the same heatsink on both, perhaps it switched to *F instead of *C?

passive without airflow doesnt really help. If its the same heatsink on both, perhaps it switched to *F instead of *C?

The heatsinks are passive. but the chassis design has the rear fans drawing air through the heatsinks. Additionally, there is an airshroud that goes over the fans and heatsinks.

Back