Anybody else enjoy Game Soundtracks

kbrickley

Supreme [H]ardness
I got hooked on them back in the 90's/2000's with the Collector's Edition bonus CDs's ... D2 and BG were two of the first game soundtrack albums I got ... now many of the GOG editions include the soundtracks as a bonus for the older titles ... so, does anyone else enjoy game soundtracks and if so what are your favorites? Here are some of mine that I enjoy and still listen to :D

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2
Icewind Dale 1 and 2
Diablo 2
Warcraft 3
Civilization 4 and 5
Fallout 3
Elderscrolls Oblivion
Elderscrolls Morrowind
Elderscrolls Skyrim
Heroes of Might and Magic 2, 3, 4, 6
Neverwinter Nights
Bioshock
Hellgate London
Braid
Plants vs Zombies (yes, it is a guilty pleasure)
Crysis
Dead island
Bastion
and many others

and some of my newer additions:
Path of Exile
Far Cry 3
Diablo 3
Grim Dawn (I will get this as part of my KS pack when they release it)
Project Eternity (I will get this as part of my KS pack when they release it)

I admit I still listen to NES soundtracks on YouTube on occasion. Some people have re-mastered them nicely. :)

I like video game music but I like mostly synth-sounding game music. Not a fan of classical-style music.

Absolutely!

You covered a few great ones there. My favorite game music includes:
Total Annihilation
Descent Freespace 1&2
Mass Effect 1
Almost any Zelda game
Unreal Tournament (and 2k4)
Dungeon Siege

FTL also has a great soundtrack from what I've heard.

I have too many to list. My music library has roughly 50 to 75% game soundtracks in it. :)

I'll just co-sign this entire thread with a big :D on my face. Jeremy Soule, Jesper Kyd, Bill Brown, Dan Wentz... all kinds of great music over the years going back to the NES days.

I love game soundtracks, sometimes buy the collector's just for the art book(s) and the music. Warcraft over the years has had some truly epic music.

I'll just co-sign this entire thread with a big :D on my face. Jeremy Soule, Jesper Kyd, Bill Brown, Dan Wentz... all kinds of great music over the years going back to the NES days.

Jeremy Soule and Matt Uleman have some of my favorite soundtracks :D

GTA 3 Radio stations are great, favorite was KJAH.

I've always enjoyed the SimCity game musics. All of them really.

Blizzard does a solid job with their game music in general.

Theme Hospital has some decent music, its cute and quirky, but I think it only has 3 tracks and can get to you after a few hours.

I enjoy the classics as well (Zelda, Mario, etc)

Thinking about it more... my current faves have been Saints Row 3 & Sleeping Dogs. Most of the music on both games are quite enjoyable.

Edit: All time favorite soundtrack is from MechWarrior 2 :D

Last edited:
Doesn't get better than Diablo 1 Tristram Theme.

Oh and Morrowind's main theme.

Oblivion, and Skyrim had epic music too. Jeremy is a badass.

Oh! And the main theme from Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

Quake 2's soundtrack by Sonic Mayhem is also nice.

When WoW came out, I listened to its soundtrack quite a bit. Actually some solid music there.

Last edited:
I love soundtracks from both games and movies.

My top five game soundtracks are probably:

Lands of Lore: Guardians of Destiny (Frank Klepacki & David Arkenstone)
Diablo (Matt Uelmen)
Megaman (All of them by various Japanese Composers)
Zelda (Koji Kondo)
Need for Speed II: SE (Various contributors, my favorite track being Heinerklinge)

In case you've never heard of it, you should check out streamingsoundtracks.com. It is an internet radio station I've been listening to and it is really good. A nice mixture of games and movies.

I love game soundtracks; movies, too. Some of my current favorites are:

Darksiders 2
Infamous
Borderlands
Quake 2
Painkiller
Call of Duty 4
Modern Warfare 2

+1 on streaminsoundtracks.com!

+1000 on Diablo's Tristram theme. It always takes me back to those great all night gaming sessions on Battle.net during the heyday of the internet boom.

I started collecting VG soundtrack CDs in the late 90s/early 2000s until a few years ago, when I entered a serious relationship and my expendable funds dropped significantly. Mostly Final Fantasy and other Square/Enix games, but a ton of other stuff like Zelda and Castlevania. I now have a collection of over 500 CDs from around a couple hundred different games.

As a novice collector, the majority of my CDs were bootlegs (from SonMay and EverAnime). I didn't find this out until after purchasing a good number of them. So what did I do? Went and replaced every single last one of them with the official CD. Was around a grand that I spent replacing them all, but was money well spent.

While I haven't expanded my collection at all in the past 4-5 years (no doubt coinciding with meeting my GF), I still listen to them all the time.

only really care for 8 bit stuff. Super meat boy, hot line miami, minecraft, shatter, etc.

edit: not care but listen outside the games. One of my favorite game soundtrack is Metal Gear Solid

i love music in general so yes. one of my recent favorites is dues ex human revolution ost.

Surprised no one has mentioned the Halo series, they have had some wonderful songs in those.
The Elder Scrolls series have had wonderful tunes.
Unreal Tournament 99 had amazing songs.
Journey
Hotline Miami does have some solid songs in it
Command and Conquer series (Hell March anyone?)
Diablo's Tristram is wonderful
Bastion

Does anyone NOT enjoy soundtracks?

Chrono Cross is probably my favorite in its entirety. I pop this on at work every now and then Chrono Cross OST you don't even have to know the game to dig on this.

I actually can't stand music in games 99% of the time. I normally mute it (or bring the volume on it waaaay down)

ff7 best sound track everrrrr

yeah its pretty good but I rarely find myself listening to it. Too much nostalgia can be overwhelming and many of the songs are either really up or really down. the chrono cross sound track is just smooth....3 hours of smooth.

Here is another treat castlevania SOTN.....I wish I could find a soloist cover of all these though.

Dark Souls soundtrack is excellent, in particular the music for Great Grey Wolf Sif, Ornstein & Smough, Pinwheel, Gravelord Nito, and Gwyn Lord of Cinder.

Back