Why?

Hi! here is a problem, I built a Maya rendering machine for a client

P4 3Ghz 800FSB
ABIT IC7 MAX3 Board
Kingston 2GB PC 3200 ECC RAM
3DLABS VP880 256MB 4X Video card
2x WD 36GB RAPTOR drives in Raid0
120GB WD SE backup
Antec 1000 Plusview case with Antec 450 Watt True P/S.

But, even with all this Horse power the machine cannot render small/simple things sometimes and takes a lot of time to Import .XDF files from AutoCAD into Maya :(.. when Importing the Machine halts and CPU goes to 50% usage.. and then stays there, Maya stop respoding :(.

Do you think its the Software or there is some Hardware Botteneck ?

any comments/suggestions are much appreciated :)

Regards.

Call alias and tell them about the problem. They should be able to help you fix it. You don't spend that kind of money for nothing.

I would agree perhaps you need to config the software a little more to take advantage of the hardware or maybe there are updates/patches available for the problem you are describing.

Have you installed the Maya 5 update?

Apparently 5.0 was released a little prematurely (like every Maya x.0 release, never upgrade until they release x.5).

Your issues are almost definitely software, however I have no experience importing from AutoCAD so I can't really suggest anything. Read over anything in the Maya help files that talk about importing AutoCAD files, sometimes Maya is picky and requires some pretty narrow requirements on the incoming file.

Also, when Maya "stops responding", how long do you wait to see if it does anything? Maya isn't always the fastest program even for doing seemingly simple stuff.

Thats all I can think of, good luck!

well, yesterday we updated Maya to Maya 5.01.. thats the only update available on their site(126MB)..it seems like it fixed some stuff, but it still plays horror stories with AutoCAD imports :(..

Thanks for your help.

Back