Any zen 4 owners have super long boot times?

I started using sleep with zen4 since the ddr5 thing takes longer to post. But I hate that mouse movement wakes it , or the tv turning on seems to trigger it (connected)
i'm pretty sure this is a setting you can change in the bios or in device manager properties.

Because that would equate to $547 per year. Most people work 8 hours per day and sleep 8 hours per day and only use their PC's for some fraction of that remaining 8 hours per day. Even assuming you use your PC for the entire 8 spare hours, that's a savings of $365 a year you get for just shutting the machine off when you're not using it. $365 is a good chunk of the cost of a component upgrade AND by the time I am properly settled into my chair, the PC is booted back up and ready to go anyway.
I think that’s his TOTAL power bill.

i'm pretty sure this is a setting you can change in the bios or in device manager properties.
Yeah, I did find a solution shortly after, I forgot to update here!
I had to also disable my keyboard since the mouse has some keys buttons mapped I guess (logitech G502) otherwise it still would bring the PC out of sleep
1674010617779.png

Last edited:
After experimenting with this ryzen AM5 7950x slow post and overall boot time, I've come to conclude that the issue is definitely related to the DDR5 memory training protocol. I guess most AM5 motherboard BIOS's isn't quite optimized yet with the right faster logrithm functions to handle the massive bandwidth and new I/O protocol testing of DDR5 during bootup in a speedy manner just yet. I guess we can say DRAM technology is faster than current motherboard BIOS technology at the momment. I've come up with a fix for those who want to have faster bootup times but it comes at the cost of not overclocking the DRAM because otherwise you will probably get a BSOD. I noticed atleast on my MSI B650-P WIFI motherboard, GSKILLZ 32GB DDR5 6000, that there is a setting called "MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE" inside the BIOS under OC>DRAM SETTINGS>MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE. If you enable this it will speed up boot times at the cost of not being able to overclock your DRAM as I mentioned atleast for mines because when I enabled MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE WITH EXPO(XMP) enabled, my pc loaded up faster but I received several BSODs, so I disabled EXPO(XMP) and just left MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE enabled and it booted up much faster!

After experimenting with this ryzen AM5 7950x slow post and overall boot time, I've come to conclude that the issue is definitely related to the DDR5 memory training protocol. I guess most AM5 motherboard BIOS's isn't quite optimized yet with the right faster logrithm functions to handle the massive bandwidth and new I/O protocol testing of DDR5 during bootup in a speedy manner just yet. I guess we can say DRAM technology is faster than current motherboard BIOS technology at the momment. I've come up with a fix for those who want to have faster bootup times but it comes at the cost of not overclocking the DRAM because otherwise you will probably get a BSOD. I noticed atleast on my MSI B650-P WIFI motherboard, GSKILLZ 32GB DDR5 6000, that there is a setting called "MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE" inside the BIOS under OC>DRAM SETTINGS>MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE. If you enable this it will speed up boot times at the cost of not being able to overclock your DRAM as I mentioned atleast for mines because when I enabled MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE WITH EXPO(XMP) enabled, my pc loaded up faster but I received several BSODs, so I disabled EXPO(XMP) and just left MEMORY CONTEXT RESTORE enabled and it booted up much faster!

I set it on auto, seems to both boot faster and lets me use the EXPO profile

The AM5/X670 system seems to take longer to POST. I've had a 7700X/7900X/7950X, all were slow to POST, much slower than AM4/X570. After POST, it's no different than any other system.

I forget which review site had them recently but they compared motherboard boot times as one of the charts. This needs to be a thing with all of them if you ask me.

Just did a test.

Wifes AM4 system X570 Crosshair VIII Hero + 5700x = 22.46 seconds
mine AM5 system Strix X670E-E + 7900 = 43.40 seconds

Just did a test.

Wifes AM4 system X570 Crosshair VIII Hero + 5700x = 22.46 seconds
mine AM5 system Strix X670E-E + 7900 = 43.40 seconds
Weird results. Clearly an issue with the X670E. By the way I have the same motherboard and CPU.

How much RAM in your rig? I have 64 GB of Crucial 2 x 32 5200 speed. I just finished up my upgrade and I'm still doing "maintenance" because (TL:DR) my desktop was out of service for 2 months.

I'm new to this platform (ASUS B650E-F + 7950X3D and 32GB of Corsair DDR5 6000 via XMP/EXPO) and my boot and reboot times are roughly 30 seconds. Most of that looks like a blank screen before the BIOS info shows up.
It's not terrible, but it's probably 4-5X as long as my older Zen 3 system. It's a far cry from multiple minutes, though. Even the very first time I ever booted it up, I was prepared for 3-4 minutes and it was still less than one. I'm rocking XMP/EXPO and I don't really want to jeopardize that, so I figure I can cope with a 30-second boot time. At most I'm only booting or re-booting my machine a couple times per day, so it's not that bad.

Enable Memory Context Restore

AMD CBS > UMC Common Options > DDR Options > DDR Memory Features > Memory Context Restore

It saves memory training settings. And then if you don't make any bios changes, it re-uses those settings for the next boot. Dropping boot times significantly.
Most brands should have it in their bios options by now. Since most boards got new bios for X3D.

Enable Memory Context Restore

AMD CBS > UMC Common Options > DDR Options > DDR Memory Features > Memory Context Restore

It saves memory training settings. And then if you don't make any bios changes, it re-uses those settings for the next boot. Dropping boot times significantly.
Most brands should have it in their bios options by now. Since most boards got new bios for X3D.
Be careful though - I’ve heard it can cause BSOD. For me - let it take 5 minutes who cares.

Be careful though - I’ve heard it can cause BSOD. For me - let it take 5 minutes who cares.
I've seen people say that with boards on older november/december bios. But, I"m not sure about newer bios. Like, Asrocks would hardlock or just not boot, after enabling it.

I tried it on an MSI board with a January bios (before their X3D bios) and it was rock solid, booted very quickly. Like a DDR4 system.

I've seen people say that with boards on older november/december bios. But, I"m not sure about newer bios. Like, Asrocks would hardlock or just not boot, after enabling it.

I tried it on an MSI board with a January bios (before their X3D bios) and it was rock solid, booted very quickly. Like a DDR4 system.
My boot time (7900x, 5200 speed Ram) is maybe 2 minutes. I don't reboot much except for installs/upgrades, so I can live with that. Six months from now, with a more mature BIOS, then maybe I'll play around with these settings.

In the meantime, I'm happy that my ASUS ROG Strix-E-A is BSOD-free.

I tried the Memory Context Restore and it blue screened me as soon as I got into Windows. Turning it back to "auto" froze my system in the BIOS menu, too. It took a couple reboots, but things are finally back to normal. I'd be careful with that setting.

I tried the Memory Context Restore and it blue screened me as soon as I got into Windows. Turning it back to "auto" froze my system in the BIOS menu, too. It took a couple reboots, but things are finally back to normal. I'd be careful with that setting.
You tried it since the recent bios update for X3D? or you tried it a couple months ago??

Some brands/boards may not have the feature well tuned, yet. I used it on an MSI B650i ITX board, with a January bios, and it worked perfectly. Anyway, doesn't hurt to try it. Save your bios settings. Try it. If it blue screens or freezes: clear the CMOS and load your bios settings profile.

You tried it since the recent bios update for X3D? or you tried it a couple months ago??

Some brands/boards may not have the feature well tuned, yet. I used it on an MSI B650i ITX board, with a January bios, and it worked perfectly. Anyway, doesn't hurt to try it. Save your bios settings. Try it. If it blue screens or freezes: clear the CMOS and load your bios settings profile.

I tried it yesterday morning with the latest BIOS for the Asus B650E-F. It's definitely an X3D bios because that's what I'm running. My system did not like it. It seemed to take initially, but a few seconds after getting into Windows, it blue screened. Afterward, It just sat there for about a minute, too. When it rebooted, I changed the setting in the BIOS and it froze. After hitting reset (after waiting a minute), it wouldn't post for 5-6 minutes. Eventually I hit reset again and it finally posted and booted back up.

I tried it yesterday morning with the latest BIOS for the Asus B650E-F. It's definitely an X3D bios because that's what I'm running. My system did not like it. It seemed to take initially, but a few seconds after getting into Windows, it blue screened. Afterward, It just sat there for about a minute, too. When it rebooted, I changed the setting in the BIOS and it froze. After hitting reset (after waiting a minute), it wouldn't post for 5-6 minutes. Eventually I hit reset again and it finally posted and booted back up.
Huh, bummer! Hopefully they get it sorted. It's a great feature!

I don't understand why people would ever turn off their PCs. I run my PC 24/7, and my total electricity costs are about $1.50 per day.
There is no need to keep it on unless you need it. Makes no sense.

My Gigabyte B650m Gaming X Ax boots in 18-25 seconds. A line up review by techspot also had 23 seconds boot time with all 3 giga boards. Hopefully things will improve with other manufactures soon.

Last edited:
the only time i had long boot times was when i tried changing the bclk. anything except the default 100mhz, even at 101, would cause 5min boot. i'm guessing that's why asus had originally didn't have that as an option in the bios but later added it in because i guess enough of us were b*tching about it not being there.

edit: board is an asus TUF x570 running win 10 ..so normaly my boots are prob ~30 sec i would guess because i have to wait for virus protection and vpn to load before i do anything.

and i'm currently still running an ancient bios since i've had no reason to upgrade it and because i always see people complaining about new bios messing with memory oc's and i'm running my 3200 kit at 3666 and been solid as a rock for over 3 years so i'm just leaving it alone

Last edited:
Anyone still having more than 30 sec boot times after months of use (and memory training) ?

Anyone still having more than 30 sec boot times after months of use (and memory training) ?
What board and bios do you have? My boot times are a lot faster than my intel 6700K. I detailed all it out here:

https://hardforum.com/threads/my-ex...zen-7700x-pics-benchmarks-boot-times.2026660/

Boot Results
  1. These boot times took into account all bios version released thus far. These are the 809, 821, 1222, and 1410 (beta, incorporates ComboAM5PI 1.0.0.6)
  2. Turning on Memory Context Restore (enabled) and subsequent Power Down (enabled) did drastically reduce boot times with the 1410 (beta) bios. FUCK YES. All the early reviews about boot times and Ryzens are now invalid. My 7700x boots up quicker than my intel did, this is amazing.
  3. These 7700X times are identical on my new SD850X compared to my older WD Black 512GB. CrystalDiskMark said my SD850X has 7300/6600 compared to the 1500/800. How is it that these boot times are exactly the same?
  4. Cool Boot turnon
    1. 6700K: 0s to post, 40s to Windows. Total 40s
    2. 7700X (1410 beta bios): 12s to post, 10s to Windows. Total 22s
    3. Winner: Ryzen 7700X
  5. Restart
    1. 6700K: 20s to wait for Windows to restart, 25s waiting after post, 20s to Windows. Total 65s
    2. 7700X (809): 10s to wait for Windows to restart, 27s waiting after post, 14s to Windows. Total: 51s
    3. 7700X (1410 beta): 17s to wait for Windows to restart, 14s waiting after post, 10s to Windows. Total: 42s
    4. Winner: Ryzen 7700X
  6. Sleep/hibernate
    1. 6700K: 0s to post, 30s to Windows. Total 30s
    2. 7700X: 12s to post, 10s to Windows. Total 22s
    3. Winner: Ryzen 7700K
  7. Shutdown
    1. Less than 5s for both CPUs
    2. Winner: Tie

Starting from hibernation is not booting and hibernation is best utilized for standard HDs. Desktops with SSDs should sleep ie save to RAM.

Roughly my cold boot time is 25-35 sec.

Last edited:
Starting from hibernation is not booting and hibernation is best utilized for standard HDs. Desktops with SSDs should sleep ie save to RAM.

Roughly my cold boot time is 25-35 sec.

Genuinely curious why that is? Suspend to RAM (Sleep) requires the RAM remain powered, thus drawing more power. Resume from Hibernate on an SSD would seem to mitigate the only real disadvantage of hibernation vs sleep - recovery time.

Ok after some light digging. People were saying that fastboot will skip memory training on Ryzen 7000 and the system could be less stable. Again this was during early bios launch time so perhaps some updates have made that less of or non issue. I’m on the latest bios for my board and like I said earlier with fastboot disabled it’s less than 60 seconds from cold boot to log in. Since the system has been extremely stable I’m not messing with it. But make no mistake it absolutely boots to windows slower than my AM4 systems and the 12th gen system I had for a while.
So if one locks it's memory on the good and compatible values, fast boot would be the way to go. Good to know. Especially if that memory is ECC. I mean ECC standard in memory for DDR5 +full ECC for the whole system. By this way it would be 10 sec as usual ?
And of course no hibernation and all that crap that you need to avoid on Desktop.

Not sure what I did I've had less than 25 secs from day1. I don't have GCC installed (only different variable I can think of)

The last couple of ASUS BIOS updates have sped up my boot times significantly. It's still about 2x as long as my Zen3/Intel setups from the past, but it's not like I reboot all that often anyway.

Does anybody have the AsRock X670E Taichi and has anybody updated to the latest BIOS and if so, how are the POST/Boot times?

Does anybody have the AsRock X670E Taichi and has anybody updated to the latest BIOS and if so, how are the POST/Boot times?
I did. The times don't seem worse or better, IMO. Although I've never been too sensitive to the time frame.

Back