Any zen 4 owners have super long boot times?

Rev. Night

[H]ard|Gawd
I remember reading that the first boot or two can result in times exceeding 5-10 minutes.

Was this just on beta bios? Is this still a thing?

There were long POSTs for the 7900X in my sig during the very first boot and when clearing CMOS, but no more than 1-2 minutes.
Still running F3c, and have not updated to F3h.

First boot when I built my 7700x system on the Asus Gene was a couple minutes or so as I recall. Once I hit the bios , flashed to bios 0805 dated 11/4/22 , installed Windows 11 and enabled xmp it’s now just less than 1 minute from power on to login and desktop.

I have fastboot disabled and the power plan is set to fully shut the system down so no hibernation or suspend and so on. So I’m booting cold every time from shut down meaning mine is probably slower than it could be. With that being said my AM4 systems boot in half that time. Everything has been completely stable for me so far.

Is there a reason you turn off hibernation and sleep? I have that on for my Intel and it wakes up and boots to Windows in like 10 secs

I upgraded to the 7950X after the AMD price drop and during the Black Friday sales. I paired it with the Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 2x16G kit and an Asus ROG Strix x670e-A mainboard and flashed the latest BIOS (0805) prior to powering on the system for the first time. The BIOS flash felt like it took FOREVER but the actual initial boot up wasn't so bad. I'd say ~2 mins or so. It cold boots in ~30 secs or so now.

Is there a reason you turn off hibernation and sleep? I have that on for my Intel and it wakes up and boots to Windows in like 10 secs
Old habit from early windows 10 and my smaller ssd boot drives. I read somewhere it helps save space and ssd life. Probably not a big deal these days.
Fastboot disabled on Ryzen 7000 was recommended somewhere. I’ll have to look it up again and refresh my memory as to why.

Hibernation reserves about 12GB of space.

Hybrid shutdown or whatever it is, doesn't refresh the Windows kernel, when you shutdown. It hibernate the kernel, but shuts everything else down.
This can cause problems to persist, through shutdowns. But Windows technically boots faster. It's usually on by default.

With that active, you have to restart, to refresh the kernel.

Right. When I have an issue, I typically do a shutdown or a hard reset via the case reset or power button.

Sounds like from this thread the reviews I read were correct, it takes long for the system to first boot, but it gets better after a bit

30 seconds? Is this real life? Are we back in 1995? Wtf?
I don't know any computer aside from cartridge-based game consoles that booted in 30 seconds back in 1995.
Even a highly optimized UNIX, Windows, or System 7 OS took at least 2-3 minutes to boot, and much longer for unoptimized computers.

I don't know any computer aside from cartridge-based game consoles that booted in 30 seconds back in 1995.
Even a highly optimized UNIX, Windows, or System 7 OS took at least 2-3 minutes to boot, and much longer for unoptimized computers.
Ok 1999?

I haven’t had a computer boot take 30 seconds since I put in an SSD about a decade ago I think.

Ok 1999?

I haven’t had a computer boot take 30 seconds since I put in an SSD about a decade ago I think.
Unless we are talking about computers and operating systems from the 1980s and earlier or enterprise systems with SSD/flash storage, sub-30 seconds wasn't happening.
Maybe by 2007 with the first consumer (non-enterprise) SATA SSDs, but even with WD Raptors in RAID 0 with Windows XP in the mid-2000s would take around 45-60 seconds to boot.

Spinning rust was a major bottleneck for any computer system from the 1990s to the 2010s.
So glad we are past that.

All of this does not count POST, as I use power servers that can take 10-15 minutes to boot due to the POST and system checks, and weak thin clients that can boot to OS in 10-15 seconds.
It isn't uncommon for an AMD platform with the default settings to have a bit longer POST for the memory testing, not counting other peripherals.

Ok after some light digging. People were saying that fastboot will skip memory training on Ryzen 7000 and the system could be less stable. Again this was during early bios launch time so perhaps some updates have made that less of or non issue. I’m on the latest bios for my board and like I said earlier with fastboot disabled it’s less than 60 seconds from cold boot to log in. Since the system has been extremely stable I’m not messing with it. But make no mistake it absolutely boots to windows slower than my AM4 systems and the 12th gen system I had for a while.

Is it noticably faster in games and standard office work than am5/12 gen Intel?

How is 45-50 seconds from cold boot a deal breaker? It’s once a day for me as I leave the PC on until I’m done for the day.
Rev. Night
Gaming at 1440p with a 6800xt on the 12700k , DDR4 3800 c16 gear1 (tuned) vs the 7700x DDR5 6000 c30 (set expo and forget) is basically the same to me. Moving around in windows and performing run of the mill computing tasks seem like a wash. From a purely non scientific user perspective I’m plenty happy with both Alderlake and AM5 platforms. A 12700/900k , 13700/900k , on a good board will be fine for YEARS. I went with a decent all around cpu in the 7700x on AM5 planning on upgrading that CPU to the last refresh high end chip that AMD puts out for my very expensive mobo. Meaning I bought in to get one or 2 cpu swaps in the future. Had I stayed on Alderlake it would have been fine too honestly. It’s an amazing time right now where both AMD and Intel systems are fast as hell. No wrong answer just preference and maybe use case if you have a workload that favors one over the other.

I guess when you started computing by typing "Load "*",8,1" you just don't worry about 45-90 seconds of boot time.

I started with an Atari 800XL on... CASSETTE. Then I went to a TRS-80 Color Computer on... CASSETTE. You don't know load pain until you spend 30+ minutes waiting for your game to load if the Cassette Gods were kind enough to let it actually complete loading on the first try.

I did eventually get disk drives for the CoCo though, and they were so damned fast compared to that stupid cassette "drive."

Have full POST turned on for the 7900X in my sig, and it definitely takes <<< 30s from my hitting the power button to the Win10 login screen
It's why I do not bother with the fast startup / hibernation nonsense, at least on desktops

I don't understand how AM5 users cope with such slow boot times.
I have to admit I'm puzzled by the emphasis on boot times. Who cares? Don't shut your machines down, sleep them. Deep sleep / hibernate doesn't (shoudn't) take much more power than power-off, if any more.

I reboot the "office" laptop maybe once every couple months when there's an OS update. The primary dev box gets rebooted every couple weeks, and only that often because I update the linux kernel fairly frequently.

Going from memory, boot time for a mid-1990's Sun SparcStation 1 was a couple minutes. The big Sun took 5 minutes or so. I don't recall how long a Windows 3 PC took because I never stood around watching it happen, I'd find something else to do.

On my 6th gen intel, I just measured how long it took to wake up from sleep. From me touching the keyboard, to the windows login screen, was 25 seconds. Seems quick enough to me. I'm seeing 30 seconds for AM5 users after sleep and it was even brought up earlier in this thread. nice to have a comparison figure

My 7600x and 670E Asrock Taichi takes a long time to post. Especially, If I'm running 4x16gb dimms. Once it posts, it boots fast. It's annoying, but not sure what to do about it, other than buy an intel rig lol

My 7600x and 670E Asrock Taichi takes a long time to post. Especially, If I'm running 4x16gb dimms. Once it posts, it boots fast. It's annoying, but not sure what to do about it, other than buy an intel rig lol
Intel has long post times as well, if you are using DDR5. DDR4 boards post more quickly. I've had both in use. 12th and 13th gen.

Is this a problem that might be able to be fixed when the industry eventually moves to DDR6? Or do y'all think computers are just going to be slower to turn on from here on out going forward? I'm so relieved my rig isn't affected by this issue. I feel like I really dodged a bullet by going with DDR3.

Is this a problem that might be able to be fixed when the industry eventually moves to DDR6? Or do y'all think computers are just going to be slower to turn on from here on out going forward? I'm so relieved my rig isn't affected by this issue. I feel like I really dodged a bullet by going with DDR3.
It is just a AMD thing. My 11700k on a z590 board boots insanely quick compared to my 7950x on a x570. Does it matter not really. I normally push the power button and go piss when I get home. Even sitting waiting is not that bad.

I don't understand why people would ever turn off their PCs. I run my PC 24/7, and my total electricity costs are about $1.50 per day.

I don't understand why people would ever turn off their PCs. I run my PC 24/7, and my total electricity costs are about $1.50 per day.

Because that would equate to $547 per year. Most people work 8 hours per day and sleep 8 hours per day and only use their PC's for some fraction of that remaining 8 hours per day. Even assuming you use your PC for the entire 8 spare hours, that's a savings of $365 a year you get for just shutting the machine off when you're not using it. $365 is a good chunk of the cost of a component upgrade AND by the time I am properly settled into my chair, the PC is booted back up and ready to go anyway.

My X670E Taichi plus 7700X never had the "slow boot" problem (maybe 1-2 minutes, tops?). I was worried about it from reviews - but everything has gone super, super smooth with this board. It was open box at Micro Center but still zip tied in like new. My guess is it may have been one of the launch boards that had the sticker residue over the RAM issue and ASRock fixed it up. It had the 1.11.AS01 BIOS on (I believe, may have been AS02 - I know it was not the latest but it was from November 2022) and I just used the $0.01 kit from Micro Center (32GB DDR5 6000 CL36).

I wouldn't worry about it. Even when I reboot my box, it's super quick. Otherwise it's always powered on.

I shut down on the weekends - the rest of the time they're all up, so... it's not that big a deal. Worst case you put it to sleep.

It's a shame AMD didn't keep the DDR4 memory control in their CPUs for this gen to meditate the super slow boot times. Looks like I'll be staying on socket 1155 until this is resolved and the G series chips are out.

It's a shame AMD didn't keep the DDR4 memory control in their CPUs for this gen to meditate the super slow boot times. Looks like I'll be staying on socket 1155 until this is resolved and the G series chips are out.
I’ve got two X670E rigs and it’s literally not an issue. You do you, but a strange reason to sit on the sidelines.

I started using sleep with zen4 since the ddr5 thing takes longer to post. But I hate that mouse movement wakes it , or the tv turning on seems to trigger it (connected)

I started using sleep with zen4 since the ddr5 thing takes longer to post. But I hate that mouse movement wakes it , or the tv turning on seems to trigger it (connected)
With my ROS X570 Strix E the system would wake up if I walked near the desk. My solution was to turn the mouse upside down. :ROFLMAO:

my mouse is wireless, so when I turn on sleep, I turn off the mouse. thats been perfect for me so far

Because that would equate to $547 per year. Most people work 8 hours per day and sleep 8 hours per day and only use their PC's for some fraction of that remaining 8 hours per day. Even assuming you use your PC for the entire 8 spare hours, that's a savings of $365 a year you get for just shutting the machine off when you're not using it. $365 is a good chunk of the cost of a component upgrade AND by the time I am properly settled into my chair, the PC is booted back up and ready to go anyway.
That seem to assume the pc in sleep mode was a relevant part of that $1.50, a computer in sleep mode consume virtually nothing and will be in the hundreds of cents for 24 hours, I do not think outside an issue that powering off the pc is for saving significant money. It is some reboot a pc once a day keep IT aways a bit from the 90s early 2000s maybe ?

Even windows now, you can go months without a reboot and just do it on important update usually.

Back