Any Xbox owners considering switch with next gen?

biggles

2[H]4U
I used to be a Sony guy up to ps2, switched to Microsoft when 360 came along. Even though I think 360 was a good choice over ps3, I am considering switching back with the next generation.

1. Indie developers are saying Sony is easier to deal with (Sony is the underdog now and is behaving more humble to developers in general)
2. I went through at least 3 broken 360's and do not want to do that again.
3. Always online requirement is a big deal to me. Today Xbox live was down, could not play Arkham City for PC.
4. I miss some of the exclusive Sony franchises like God of War.

Anyway, just wondered if any 360 owners have a similar feeling. I realize it is too early to decide but so far that is my feeling.

i feel the ultimate decision points are:

1) which console has more games you want to play
2) which console do your friends have

any other reason, to me, is ignoring the purpose of owning a console.

addressing your points with mine:
your point about indie devs goes to my point 1

broken 360's is a big problem, but i believe its never smart to not buy brand new anything (even the first iPhone had some big issues)

as for the always on, i'll worry about that when its announced and anything more than a rumor.

point 4 goes to my first parameter.

I bought a 360 and its been in the closet forever. Its a giant doorstop, I just never play it. The "shiny" wore off way too fast for me. Time to sell and cut my losses.

I bought a 360 and its been in the closet forever. Its a giant doorstop, I just never play it. The "shiny" wore off way too fast for me. Time to sell and cut my losses.

i'm the same way with my ps3, i feel like once the new gen comes out though i'll get caught up on a bunch of my ps3 exclusives while i wait for the price to drop on the new toys

My beef is I read somewhere that any purchases I make on PSN now won't port over on PS4. I'm sure thats gotta be misinformation, but I've stopped making PSN purchases because of it and I'll be holding off a while before getting a PS4.

I already have enough ps3 ,60 or so and 360 games,30 or so to keep me playing for years at he rate I go thru them, no need for a new genaration for a long time, but because the Playstations seem to have better exclusive I''d lean in that direction before I'd get a new gen xbox.. the only xbox exclusives I play are the Halo franchise games. I'm thinking the next gen coulod wait a few more years before theres a real demand, of course a bunch of tech loonies will be in line on release day to pay way to much for the new systems,but when and if I get the next gen systems they will be cheaper and more mature with the bugs worked out .

My beef is I read somewhere that any purchases I make on PSN now won't port over on PS4. I'm sure thats gotta be misinformation, but I've stopped making PSN purchases because of it and I'll be holding off a while before getting a PS4.

I think the same applies to 360 XBLA games as well. If it's movies and music you purchased that won't transfer over, then there is something wrong there.

However, if it's games such as XBLA games or PSN games or demos, no, do not expect them to transfer over to the new PS4's PSN or Xbox 720 XBLA store. The issue is the processor the games were programmed on.

If it's Playstation 1 games from the PSN store, those should transfer over unless they [Sony] will not make available an x86-based PS1 emulator for the PS4. That wouldn't make sense since there are PS1 emulators for practically Windows, Linux, Raspberry Pi, and I believe OSX, iOS and Android. So, those should hopefully transfer.

For Xbox Games from XBLA that ran on an emulator on the 360, the same thing-- there are x86 emulators out there for Xbox games. If Microsoft doesn't make available an x86-based Xbox emulator, then those will probably not transfer over to the new console.

It's like taking a game programmed for Apple OS 8 on a PowerPC processor and expect it to run in OS X on an x86-64 processor. Or, taking a program compiled for PowerPC and expect it to run an x86 PC. It will not happen.

Each game you purchased for your account-- Xbox Live or PSN-- has to be recompiled for the appropriate processor architecture. I honestly do not expect many developers to spend the extra time AND money to recompile all those games or reprogram them for an x86 architecture. I'm sure they can do it, but are they willing to?

And, whether you're on Xbox Live or PSN, I'm sure both Microsoft and Sony will charge you to re-purchase them if the games have been recompiled for the x86 Jaguar processor in both consoles.

I can sort of understand the rumor why Microsoft may opt for a discless-based Xbox 360 settop box for XBLA games and 360 disc-based games. It makes sense for $150 as both as a standalone media center unit and a really expensive add-on for the Xbox 720/NEXT console. If this rumor proves true, then next-gen Xbox 720 owners will be expected to buy the unit in order to play their older XBLA games. It'll just cost you $150.

Edit: This is why I like Steam a lot. I buy a game on my Windows PC, and if there's a Linux version of it, then it's available on my SAME account in Steam for Linux and I can play the same game in a Linux-based distro. I don't even have to repurchase the game. It's all up to the developers to make an x86 version available after programming a PowerPC version of it, and it's up to Sony and Microsoft to decide whether or not they should charge you again for an x86 version of that same game.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you expect when you move from one console platform to another. I don't expect my PS3 games to work on PS4, how would PS3 digital games be any different?

I'm not buying anything for at least a year after they come out. There are far too many games I never played on the Xbox. The prices will tank when everyone trades them in and I'll score a bunch of cheap games

PS4 is also going to have the superior GPU.

I'm predicting the PS4 will win this generation.

Xbox owner here, recently bought a PS3 on a very good newegg deal with my refund money. I also signed up for PS+ since I havent played any of the PS3 classics.

I'm enjoying the much bigger variety of games, I like the simplicity of XMB, all the free stuff on PS+, and the fact that Sony has much much better 1st party support. It may lack the polish of Xbox, but it works.

So far I like what I see of PS4, unless MS announces some good gaming exclusives or special features on 720, I'm going to switch and save money.

Its way too early in the game to decide. Any big name titles announced for either system that would push me to purchase either one or both could end up being vaporware or pushed back for years.

That and I do not buy any consoles until they have been vetted a few months and there are multiple quality titles worth playing

Edit to add: I currently own a 360 but am a former PS3 owner. I was not impressed with the install and download speeds for the PS3. At times it seems it took at least 30 minutes to play a new game.

I certainly am but obviously waiting to see how many of these rumours are well founded.

Not sure how it will play out but depending on launch titles/hype I think I will stick to PC gaming for as long as possible.

I am considering it but I'm not sure yet. I might just end up not getting any of the new consoles. The hardware for the consoles is kind of disappointing this time around. In the past they at least had the newest bleeding edge GPU when they announced them. This time they have something that a 3 year old PC beats during the announcement. By the time the new consoles actually come out their hardware is going to be extremely dated.

I don't like single player games so I have never really had a need for any past Sony consoles and instead went with Xbox. Xbox 1 had Halo:CE, and the 360 kept me because of Xbox Live and the multiplayer exclusive titles. But I haven't liked any of the new Halos and I'm tired of Gears of War. They haven't revealed anything new that excites me yet. So unless they do I probably won't get the next Xbox.

I really like what they are doing with the streaming features of the PS4. That could be big for competitive multiplayer games which is what I like to play.
But I don't think I could handle how terribly unergonomic Playstation the controllers are. Slapping 2 joysticks on a 2D controller was okay for the PS1 update, but they should have redesigned the controllers for the PS2. I feel like I have to dislocate my thumbs just to use the joysticks.

If there are some amazing exclusive titles out I might consider a PS4 and get a third party controller.

I used to be a Sony guy up to ps2, switched to Microsoft when 360 came along. Even though I think 360 was a good choice over ps3, I am considering switching back with the next generation.

1. Indie developers are saying Sony is easier to deal with (Sony is the underdog now and is behaving more humble to developers in general)
2. I went through at least 3 broken 360's and do not want to do that again.
3. Always online requirement is a big deal to me. Today Xbox live was down, could not play Arkham City for PC.
4. I miss some of the exclusive Sony franchises like God of War.

Anyway, just wondered if any 360 owners have a similar feeling. I realize it is too early to decide but so far that is my feeling.

1. Indie developers aren't allowed to discuss next gen Xbox or MS relations. They are all under NDA and many are not even informed with what MS is doing next gen for Indies and what the replacement for XNA will be. So this is a moot point, neat.. Indies are commenting about 1 platform thats announced and comparing it to something they know little about if anything.
2. I'm still using my launch 360. Also, MS engineers admitted they knew of the RROD issues before launch. The board told them to launch anyways. They were prepared for the 1 Billion RROD warranty extension. It was the price they were willing to pay to move the Xbox brand forward and pull the rug out from the Playstation brand. MS was overwhelming successful in doing so, Xbox is now to gaming what Kleenex is to tissue. The RROD issue was resolved in 2008 with the inception of the Jasper units and relability has only gone up with each passing year. However, consumers have every right to be concerned about launch units for the Durango. But MS certainly wasn't surprised by RROD with the 360, they didn't engineer something that broke.. they knew of the issues prior, had the fix but charged forward to beat Sony to market. It was more a business strategy than it was a engineering blunder.
3.Valid concern, and is 100% dependent on how they implement their online functionality. Lots of rumors floating around, but there are 500 pieces to that kind of puzzle. FCC regulations mandate always online functionality for DRM-like devices, which the Xbox is rumored to be centered around as well. The online rumors could have everything to do with DVR stuff and nothing to do with gaming. They could be the opposite. They could operate like a cell phone and mean little.. it could mean anything. But nobody right now has any kind of idea what this always online stuff means, and how it will impact gaming per say. Just last week another rumor was outed that offline play is fully capable and gaming was not impacted by the always online functionality. My advice? Be concerned, but just wait for official news before freaking out.
4.Then get a PS4 to play the games you want.

Basically, nothing is official about the next Xbox right now.. nothing. Don't fall victim to hype or hate, and keep in mind there are people out there that are salivating at chance to trash MS. Same goes for Nintendo or Sony. You have to sift through most of the BS out there and understand that many people have a hidden agenda but will go to great lengths to mask it.

When both consoles are out, reviewed, on store shelves with games... spend some time to look at each objectively, look at the games, the features, and then buy the console that you desire most. Don't bother trying to do that task now, when we know very little about only 1 of the consoles, and the other is a complete mystery.

Be patient and wait through the trolls, the rumors and the craziness.

I'm an original Xbox, and Xbox 360 owner, and I'm not sure about switching yet. With the Xbox, everything up to this point has been nothing but rumors, so I'm not even going to worry about it. Even with the Playstation 4 there's still a LOT we don't know.

If the next Xbox requires I be connected to Live, just to play a single player game, then the odds of me buying one will drop significantly, but we'll see. Live was down recently, but I seem to recall the Playstation Network being down for several weeks, back in 2011. Nobody is immune from those sorts of issues.

Live was down recently, but I seem to recall the Playstation Network being down for several weeks, back in 2011. Nobody is immune from those sorts of issues.

Networks go down, it happens. Yea the ps3 mess was a pain but we all made it through.
What we dont want is to have to be connected just to play an offline game(Simcity 5)

Since the PS4 and Durango are going to be almost identical (x86 cpu, AMD gpu) with minor differences in memory etc, there is technically no reason why all games shouldn't be multiplatform. It's going to come down to publisher agreements and exclusives.

Due to this, the reason for owning multiple consoles is going to reduce significantly.

i have a wii u and my gaming pc, not going to buy a ps4 or nextbox.

my girlfriend uses my 360 way more than i did.

Since the PS4 and Durango are going to be almost identical (x86 cpu, AMD gpu) with minor differences in memory etc, there is technically no reason why all games shouldn't be multiplatform. It's going to come down to publisher agreements and exclusives.

Due to this, the reason for owning multiple consoles is going to reduce significantly.

Ps4 having the better gpu apparently.

1. Indie developers aren't allowed to discuss next gen Xbox or MS relations. They are all under NDA and many are not even informed with what MS is doing next gen for Indies and what the replacement for XNA will be. So this is a moot point, neat.. Indies are commenting about 1 platform thats announced and comparing it to something they know little about if anything.

Bullshit. They are not all under NDA because they are not all making games for Microsoft to begin with. You hear developer after developer say they are not making games for Microsoft. You do however hear them saying they are making games for the PS4. They have already had more than enough of putting up with Microsoft with the 360. Now Sony is treating them better, and they are flocking to Sony.

Developers under NDA with Sony still seem to be talking about their games. They may not be able to say anything about the PS4, but they are still able to say they are making games for the PS4.

Now that MS has killed XNA, Unity has become a lot more popular. It however has incompatibility problems with Microsoft. Which doesn't really matter since indie developers are abandoning Microsoft.

How Microsoft is trying—but failing—to court indie game developers

Why game developers are flocking to Sony and fleeing from Microsoft

I'm a broken record on the subject! I got pissed off when apps became available on 360 but you had to have a Gold membership to use them; not the case on the other consoles. I'll buy a PS4 next time around; kinda wish I had a PS3 now since I don't have a Blu-ray player (outside of my PC).

I used to laugh at the nerds that would say "Micro$oft" but to be honest that's what I've come to see when it comes to the Xbox. If you want to buy a cable box with a subscription fee then buy the 360 and the next-gen Xbox but if you want a gaming machine then buy a PS4 or Wii U.

As of right now I'm very interested in the new xbox and only semi interested in the ps4. My interest is based on the past systems, not on the rumors on what will happen though.

Time will tell, until MS announces their console and sony gives us some real info on theirs I really don't have a solid plan on either.

As of right now you could be asking if we are planning on buying the ps5 or the xbox 4. That is how little we really know about the next gen of consoles that is getting ready to come out. We can't even take sony's specs at its word that they have already claimed. Look how many features the ps3 lost from when it was announced to when it launched(dual screen gaming anyone?).

My comments on being interested in the next xbox are more on how much better live has been. If sony finally catches up with them then who knows.

The ps4 will win next gen I just hate that damn controller

Compared to what? The Xbox controller is terrible in pretty much every way imaginable (cheap build, annoying cheap batteries, crap dpad, annoying cheap feel , wonk stick layout, weirdass lumpy shape, crap sticks, fisher price coloring, no pink button, is just crap and annoying to use for any length of time especially when using the dpad), which is one of the annoying reasons it's being pushed as the "default" (by MS).

The only real issue with the DS3 is the damned L2/R2 buttons being at a weird angle..not sure if the DS4 has solved that... :eek:

We can't even take sony's specs at its word that they have already claimed. Look how many features the ps3 lost from when it was announced to when it launched(dual screen gaming anyone?)

Needs to be repeated. We don't even know the exact details on allowing used games or not. Until final console hw, nothing is set.

What is the consensus opinion on hardware reliability this time around? Should it be better than last time? I waited 3 months until after its release to pickup a 360 and that unit failed multiple times, as did a refurb I picked up from Gamestop. I heard ps3 was more reliable than 360 but still not as good as prior generations.

How long should we wait after launch to see if these machines are junk like the 360 was?

What is the consensus opinion on hardware reliability this time around? Should it be better than last time? I waited 3 months until after its release to pickup a 360 and that unit failed multiple times, as did a refurb I picked up from Gamestop. I heard ps3 was more reliable than 360 but still not as good as prior generations.

How long should we wait after launch to see if these machines are junk like the 360 was?

I think lots of the PS3's higher than PS2 failure rate was a combination of being much more powerful comparatively (ignoring generation gap) and the switch of solders. It was >10% though which is pretty good considering how badly most people seem to treat them.

The 360 was just a crap design.

No way to tell definitely, without seeing the designs and the coolers etc. The PS4 does have more powerful hardware, but it really comes down to cooling/motherboard/etc. etc. :D

Since both PS4 and 720 will use a single chip SoC solution with integrated gpu, chances of heat failure will be much less. And I'm sure no one is going to repeat the 360's design flaws - that cost MS billions which would have bankrupted a lesser company.

Another reason why BC won't be included - it adds hw components and increases failure rates.

Compared to what? The Xbox controller is terrible in pretty much every way imaginable (cheap build, annoying cheap batteries, crap dpad, annoying cheap feel , wonk stick layout, weirdass lumpy shape, crap sticks, fisher price coloring, no pink button, is just crap and annoying to use for any length of time especially when using the dpad), which is one of the annoying reasons it's being pushed as the "default" (by MS).

The only real issue with the DS3 is the damned L2/R2 buttons being at a weird angle..not sure if the DS4 has solved that... :eek:

you can't be serious or you have 12 year old Asian girl hands... The 360 controller ranks right up there with the game cube controller as being most comfortable to use. The Wii U pro and tablet are very comfortable as well.

as for the op, I got a wii u and that's all I am getting until the ps4 reaches price reduced to a reasonable level...for ratchet and clank and uncharted

you can't be serious or you have 12 year old Asian girl hands... The 360 controller ranks right up there with the game cube controller as being most comfortable to use. The Wii U pro and tablet are very comfortable as well.

I didn't think the Gamecube controller was that terrible? :confused:

The new xbox needs to be something special for me buy it.
Few suggestions
1- ability to block, not avoid (which you will see them in very next game)
2- If your service(xbl) is so call premium, then games that require split second reactions(shooters), should have dedicated servers
3- Have same suppliers for every console production run(not just cpu and gpu)
4- Have dedicated servers in U.S., not in every other country(example in mexico).
5- Realize that basing online game play on P2P is worthless, you are basing on service that has no standard. Hence the term broadband (broad= wide range), where cable companies consider anything over 56k is brodband(example 57k)
6- Simple harddrives like ps3, larger sizes and easy to exchange.

I'm pretty sure Live Gold will still be required and isn't going to be free. Why should they abandon a system that makes them billions? Clearly people have no problem paying for it, it doesn't matter what a few geeks on internet forums say.

You're only fooling yourself.
The only people that think Playstation controllers are comfortable are Playstation fanboys.
The joysticks were just slapped on a PS1 controller. They aren't comfortable to use at all. If they feel comfortable to you it is only because you've deformed your hands through countless years of using the abominations.

They aren't comfortable to use at all. If they feel comfortable to you it is only because you've deformed your hands through countless years of using the abominations.

LOL!

In my opinion the only thing the Playstation controller beat the Xbox/360 controller on, is the D-Pad. Unfortunately, due to patents, Microsoft has gone with a real crummy design. I've heard that special edition 360 controller they make, with the twist up D-Pad, to toggle between two states, is pretty decent. I haven't used it, but it'd be nice if they used it on the next Xbox controller, or just something better than what the standard Xbox game pad uses now.

I'm not sure what you expect when you move from one console platform to another. I don't expect my PS3 games to work on PS4, how would PS3 digital games be any different?

You wouldn't? I would.

PS1 worked on PS2, PS2 (and PS1 AFAIK) worked on initial PS3...

I think they've already said PS4 wouldn't be backwards-compatible but it should be IMO, and there's reason to believe it might if you hadn't heard otherwise.

You're only fooling yourself.
The only people that think Playstation controllers are comfortable are Playstation fanboys.
The joysticks were just slapped on a PS1 controller. They aren't comfortable to use at all. If they feel comfortable to you it is only because you've deformed your hands through countless years of using the abominations.

DS3 is fine for me, and I'm not a fanboy either way. Only gripe I have with it is it's kind of small for my hands.

Back